Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That is crazy to me that a random homeowner can affect whether that line is hot. Seems like there should be some lockout procedure that fail-safes against homeowners doing random shit

I'm not an electrician, but spend a lot of time inside robot/automation cells. Lockout procedures are gospel. You can only count on yourself when it comes to safety procedures....
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's terrible
I'm a retired electrician and when we worked on high voltage, 480, 4160 or 13,800 we installed grounding clamps on all phases so any back fed energy would immediately go to ground.
Excuse my ignorance but do line workers do this also?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. 240v was backfed into the transformer which energized the line and he got hit with high voltage then.
That's terrible
I'm a retired electrician and when we worked on high voltage, 480, 4160 or 13,800 we installed grounding clamps on all phases so any back fed energy would immediately go to ground.
Excuse my ignorance but do line workers do this also?

Image of ground "clusters":

@Foxxz

Sorry about your friend.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always wondered how a 10k or so generator powers the grid. My well pump kicks on and it about shuts mine off if anything else is on. How do you backfeed the line and not hear the generator is bogged down?

Glad he's alive and hope he has a good recovery. No excuse not to have a disconnect switch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not according to Websters. "Killed or severely injured"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Relieved to read he's not actually dead.  Electrocuted = dead.

Don't mean to be nitpicky, but you may want to rephrase to shocked or zapped or something.

Not according to Websters. "Killed or severely injured"

Woke Webster likes to view our language as "evolving" when people are misusing words.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/electrocute

electrocute
[ ih-lek-truh-kyoot ]

verb (used with object), e·lec·tro·cut·ed, e·lec·tro·cut·ing.
to kill by electricity.
to execute (a criminal) by electricity, as in an electric chair.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How damn hard is it to turn off the main breaker???
View Quote

This !!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is crazy to me that a random homeowner can affect whether that line is hot. Seems like there should be some lockout procedure that fail-safes against homeowners doing random shit

I'm not an electrician, but spend a lot of time inside robot/automation cells. Lockout procedures are gospel. You can only count on yourself when it comes to safety procedures....
View Quote
Power comes in on a wire. Power can go out on the same wire unless some physical breaker/switch/interlock is thrown in between the house and the rest of the power grid.

Not an electrician in the least. Also guessing energizing one side of a transformer going the other way = bad things down the line.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Interlocks
Interlocks
Interlocks

Sorry about your friend.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Power comes in on a wire. Power can go out on the same wire unless some physical breaker/switch/interlock is thrown in between the house and the rest of the power grid.

Not an electrician in the least. Also guessing energizing one side of a transformer going the other way = bad things down the line.
View Quote

Yeah I get that, but how can the power company not have some overriding lockout to account for the unaccounted for homeowner?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Even old panels or panels that dont work for transfer switches @beerslayer can be safely done with a new transfer panel. Basically a sub panel with 2 feeds inter locked, one from the gen, one from the main panel. Then you relocate the circuits you want to the transfer panel.

This is ideal as if done properly you can just hit the breakers and whats in the panel works. It does not fed everything in the house, just what circuits you move to the transfer panel, Mine has my well, kitchen and living lights and plugs, bedroom, sump pump, fridge plus a few other others. Most houses you can live pretty normal with 5-7 circuits.

The good thing about this, and I just went thru it from a storm. When the main power comes back on, all the stuff that was not working started to. I was not home when the power came back, the wife called me and said the stove power just beeped ( gas stove ) saying power loss. Which meant the power was back ( just how it happened to work in my set up )
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have always wondered how a 10k or so generator powers the grid. My well pump kicks on and it about shuts mine off if anything else is on. How do you backfeed the line and not hear the generator is bogged down?

Glad he's alive and hope he has a good recovery. No excuse not to have a disconnect switch.
View Quote

The impedance of the transformer may not normally allow full flow out, but enough to put a charge on the line. Now if your neighbors are on the same transformer they will get your power, as they are attached to the same terminals in the transformer and they should make it blow.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Friend of a friend is a lineman of 20 years. Last night he was working on a high voltage line that was de-energized. His leg hit or got close to a line and he was electrocuted. He has second and third degree burns and is still alive but the damage is severe. The line was energized due to a homeowner backfeeding their generator into the grid.

The dude has a wife and kids. Even if he makes it he'll never be the same. Will add links if the incident makes the news.

I'm posting this because there are many DIY'ers on this forum and the topic of generators comes up frequently.
View Quote
Our old neighbor did shit like that. Myself and another neighbor pointer out to him that it's not safe and this could happen. His answer? "So, what does that have to do with me? Keep the fucking power on and it won't be a problem."

...guy was a total douche-canoe.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It not only doesn't meet code, but it can result in what happened in the OP.  Don't do it.  Get a transfer switch.

All humans error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn't meet code, but you can just open the main breaker to isolate it from the grid right?
It not only doesn't meet code, but it can result in what happened in the OP.  Don't do it.  Get a transfer switch.

All humans error.

Get an interlock.

Transfer switches are a waste of time and money for a portable backfeed solution.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah I get that, but how can the power company not have some overriding lockout to account for the unaccounted for homeowner?
View Quote
No idea on the technical end. Guessing they probably could have one on every house, every pole, every transformer or whatever if customers were willing to pay for it. Guessing lot of cost for a small number of incidents in the grand scheme of things. Sucks but that's probably the reason. Generators get used a lot around my home in MS on the LA border during hurricane season. Bad things like this happen. But in comparison to the number of times/hours generators are run, no idea.

I live in a very rural area adjacent to the national forest. When I moved here 25 years ago a number of poles in the national forest still had glass insulators. Progress is slow in a number of areas.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Sucks for the lineman.  Homeowner should be in jail and have the main to his house permanently disconnected.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would have to lock out every house.  What they do is ground all the wires together.  If someone back feeds, it will blow fuses.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

the layout of my panel doesn't lend itself to lock switch. i use physical breaker locks and have a checklist taped to the door to use before switching over. the breaker for the genset NEVER goes hot before the lockout is on the main. i trust myself to take the time to get it right and i manually test things every quarter.

this isn't rocket science but when you need a generator you are already stressed and here likely  sweating your balls off. Missing something is a real danger.
View Quote

Miss tagged you above, doing it here @The_beer_Slayer
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This cannot physically happen with an Interlock.

Yet so many members here refuse to use them, and feel that they will never make a mistake like forgetting to throw the main disconnect... and continue to use suicide cords.

Just like a negligent discharge - it only takes once to kill someone.  
View Quote

I used to wonder why they were called suicide cords.  A electrician friend set mine up for me, wiring a dryer outlet next to my panel.  I laminated an instruction sheet and attached it to the panel and in addition to shutting off the main breaker first, then turning off all breakers in the box, it included attaching the cord to the genny and the outlet before cranking up the generator - so the energized male end was never exposed.

The connection on the plug of the cord became loose and the short destroyed a microwave.  I had another electrician friend help me do it the right way.  Now the interlock prevents the genny from powering the panel until the main is off.  

Glad I have it done that way now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Truely sucks!!!!!!  WE have a backup system, but had it installed by a licensed electrician.  System is set up to power only the house or supply power for the local Company.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
If my 22k generac is professionally installed, is this a concern I should be aware of?

18Z50
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Get an interlock.

Transfer switches are a waste of time and money for a portable backfeed solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn't meet code, but you can just open the main breaker to isolate it from the grid right?

All humans error.

Get an interlock.

Not all panels are set up for an interlock. My exterior box only has provisions for the main breaker, nothing else. Sub panel is in a finished basement that would require extensive demo to run a generator feed line. Easiest solution was an exterior 200 amp transfer switch. Ended up being cheaper too once you factored in all the work needed to get a new feed line to the sub panel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Get an interlock.

View Quote
What's the difference?  Not smart ass, don't know and asking.

I have what I think is a "transfer switch".  I had an electrician install it. It is installed only my furnace and only powers the furnace. It has two positions, normal and generator.  In the event of a power outage, I plug an extension cord from my generator into that switch (the switch has a male outlet).  I then flip the switch from normal to generator.  If the power comes back on, I can just flip the switch back to normal.

As I understand, this disallows me from back feeding, as it does not allow the electricity from my generator to flow into my panel, only the furnace. At the same time, it does not allow my furnace to receive power from both sources at the same time.

Everything else I just unplug from the wall outlet and plug the appliance into my generator directly.

Here is the switch that I use for my furnace:

https://ezgeneratorswitch.com/
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If my 22k generac is professionally installed, is this a concern I should be aware of?

18Z50
View Quote

It should have been installed with an interlock switch....so it shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#26]
This is what happens when dumbasses fail to properly install transfer switches.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#27]
the generator guy needs jail time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The power company does not have a means to disconnect individual customers.  At least not yet.   The day could come when meters could come with a disconnecting means built in  but I would hazzard that would only be used for non-payment issues.  

Closest thing the utility has is single/three phase line recloser on the distribution lines and a lot of those are not operable by scada.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

18Z50
View Quote

No.  Those would have a manual or automatic whole home transfer switch as part of the solution.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I’d heard about problems like that.  I bought a small generator post Sandy.  Enough to run the fridge, freezer, or blower fan on the propane fireplace.   That’s it.  Plenty of long extension cords (110v only).   It will go direct to the appliances.   No chance of a fuckup on my part with the power lines
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a interlock but if I didn't and I HAD to have power I would shut the main AND pull the meter/bulb, never trust just the main... it's easy to flip...
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have what I think is a "transfer switch".  I had an electrician install it. It is installed only my furnace and only powers the furnace. It has two positions, normal and generator.  In the event of a power outage, I plug an extension cord from my generator into that switch (the switch has a male outlet).  I then flip the switch from normal to generator.  If the power comes back on, I can just flip the switch back to normal.

As I understand, this disallows me from back feeding, as it does not allow the electricity from my generator to flow into my panel, only the furnace. At the same time, it does not allow my furnace to receive power from both sources at the same time.

Everything else I just unplug from the wall outlet and plug the appliance into my generator directly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get an interlock.

This is fine - if you ONLY need/want to power a specific branch circuit during an outage.  Sometimes this can be the lowest cost solution to meet the direct requirement.

However, Interlocks installed into the main panel offer WAY more flexibility and do not limit the number of branch circuit options.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You want the power companies to spend billions of dollars to prevent the rare dumbfuck from back feeding the system?
In my neighborhood, every two houses have their own transformer so it would be a least 50 lockouts, if transformer mounted.  100 if mounted on each house.  That is a lot of extra up front cost an even more maintenance cost.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A local guy with 25 yrs in somehow had his bucket truck fuck up.His bucket swung into a line and it layed across his back. He had both arms amputated at the shoulder..??
View Quote

Weird. I know a guy in GA that lost both arm at the shoulder due to something similar. Guess it's not that uncommon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How damn hard is it to turn off the main breaker???
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is fine - if you ONLY need/want to power a specific branch circuit during an outage.  Sometimes this can be the lowest cost solution to meet the direct requirement.

However, Interlocks installed into the main panel offer WAY more flexibility and do not limit the number of branch circuit options.
View Quote
Got it.  Yeah my generator solution isn't big enough to power a bunch of my circuits and as you said, a full solution at the panel is more costly.  

One day I will have a whole house genset...one day.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why no equipotential grounding?  Although I don't know if that would have popped any kind of protection device in that scenario.

Is equipotential grounding a common thing on the utility side of things? I learned about it on the industrial side, I'm sure things are different.  

Utility guys are in double insulated booms for starters.
View Quote

Yes, equipotential grounding is very common in the utility industry.

There was a similar incident at my work about a month ago, unfortunately it resulted in a fatality.

Rules, procedures, and PPE exist for a reason.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Which is the point of a proper interlock.  You can't NOT remember...  It only allows for the main breaker to be on while the generator breaker is off, or the main breaker to be off while the generator breaker is on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but super UN-reliable that folks will remember.
Which is the point of a proper interlock.  You can't NOT remember...  It only allows for the main breaker to be on while the generator breaker is off, or the main breaker to be off while the generator breaker is on.

Set that aside, if I have a generator connected through my panel I’d want the correct switchgear to ensure I’m only paying to power my house and not the grid. I can’t imagine deciding against an interlock because it’s an extra few bucks. Or doing that work without realizing the need for one… which would mean I have no business doing that work in the first place. ETA: “work” being as menial as adding a male adapter to an extension cord.

Shoddy DIY electrical work scares the shit out me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Friend of a friend is a lineman of 20 years. Last night he was working on a high voltage line that was de-energized. His leg hit or got close to a line and he was electrocuted. He has second and third degree burns and is still alive but the damage is severe. The line was energized due to a homeowner backfeeding their generator into the grid.

The dude has a wife and kids. Even if he makes it he'll never be the same. Will add links if the incident makes the news.

I'm posting this because there are many DIY'ers on this forum and the topic of generators comes up frequently.
View Quote

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

What, if any, criminal charges are there for the homeowner?

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Got it.  Yeah my generator solution isn't big enough to power a bunch of my circuits and as you said, a full solution at the panel is more costly.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generator size isn't really THAT important - depending on what you want to power.  For instance - in a winter power outage we primarily need to power our natural gas furnace, and two refrigerators to keep the food from spoiling.  A small 2500W inverter generator will handle this just fine as the sustained load is under 1000W.  However, since we use an interlock, I can also power all the lights in my home (LED) with almost no additional wattage load, along with my internet router/modem equipment and charge phones and iPad at their normal locations, and run a laptop or two, all without having any impact on the ability to run the furnace and fridges.

It is the difference between just having heat, or living mostly as normal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Unless they shut off their main breaker....it's back feeding the grid.
View Quote

Did not know enough then to ask.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Generator size isn't really THAT important - depending on what you want to power.  For instance - in a winter power outage we primarily need to power our natural gas furnace, and two refrigerators to keep the food from spoiling.  A small 2500W inverter generator will handle this just fine as the sustained load is under 1000W.  However, since we use an interlock, I can also power all the lights in my home (LED) with almost no additional wattage load, along with my internet router/modem equipment and charge phones and iPad at their normal locations, and run a laptop or two, all without having any impact on the ability to run the furnace and fridges.

It is the difference between just having heat, or living mostly as normal.
View Quote
I can power my fridge/freezer, my furnace, my internet/computer (inverter gen) and a light or two.  I do that using extension cords and that switch for my furnace.  I honestly only got that switch because my furnace is wired in and I do NOT want to make a mistake and hurt someone.  If it was a plug, I would have just unplugged it and used an extension cord like everything else.

I figured that's the bare essentials to keep me reasonably happy....as long as it's not the summer.  Powering my central A/C is out of the question with my genset.

That's the real goal but if I am going to get a generator big enough to do that, might as well just go all in and get a whole house unit that powers the whole panel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Human error is human error .

Otherwise insurance and jails wouldn't exist.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Was this on a single customer line? I’ve always heard about the backfeed but in reality you would be energizing everybody’s transformer, from what, a 30 or 50 amp breaker? It would immediately kick that breaker, especially if it’s an inverter  genny. Think about trying to power multiple houses with 50 amps. I assume there is an automatic relay that cuts off all the solar panels backfeeding? Is there a chance this was actually a  live line from another backfeed source? Most lines are looped back and take 2 places to kill it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#45]
We don't have any disconnect on our house. Of course we just run cords from the generator to whatever that needs power.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Unfortunately some people are too stupid to throw the service disconnect and only the transfer switch.
Too bad the line power was not restored and frag his generator.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Although I'm not recommending it, one way to isolate your home from the electrical grid is to pull the electric meter, and keep it indoors. Make sure all the breakers are shut off when you reinstall the meter, and that you're not grounded.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#48]
There's no way to tell someone is back feeding?  I am electrically dumb
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Although I'm not recommending it, one way to isolate your home from the electrical grid is to pull the electric meter, and keep it indoors. Make sure all the breakers are shut off when you reinstall the meter, and that you're not grounded.
View Quote

It is illegal to pull your own meter here, and in many other locations.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Theres been several great questions about what happened and how it happened. Unfortunately, I've posted all the info I have right now and thats all second hand. I don't know when or if I'll hear anything further about the particulars. I've been keeping an eye on the local new sources to see if it gets reported.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top