Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol, make sure to take a video if they remove the easement covering section of the deck with a chain saw as you don’t do shit.
View Quote

Sounds like less work for myself. Just seems pretty petty considering the fence is fine

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The developer is an asshole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's almost assuredly some office twat, you need to talk (not email) to the project interface manger and preferably the actual on the ground project engineer too to find out what the fuck they are doing or planning to do. Setting lines in that residential of a neighborhood with no street or alley access is fucking retarded in the first place but talk to somebody else.

Im with you on the fuck them part.

Eh, these are existing transmission lines being rebuilt... more than likely a developer came along and bought the property and parceled it out having the line going through peoples back yards..  its fairly common in the burbs

The developer is an asshole.
Yep, we've got one of those here. HV lines going through an empty field that is now full of houses.

The HV stuff goes down the middle and is a designated "green space", but you just know in time the homes will encroach, and then the homeowners will be mad in 20 or 30 years when they come through to expand or re-do stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Poles aren't typically replaced in the exact same spot, typically shifted ~10' for minor rebuilds or single pole replacements. If a large section of this is being rebuilt, they will design it from the ground up with new span lengths and pole locations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought.
Assuming they aren't going to be burying 138kV, they'll need to access the poles to replace the poles.
I don't see where they're going to have to touch your property to do that.
Edit:  you cant set up shop under the wires.

Poles aren't typically replaced in the exact same spot, typically shifted ~10' for minor rebuilds or single pole replacements. If a large section of this is being rebuilt, they will design it from the ground up with new span lengths and pole locations.

I don't think many people grasp how much room it takes to replace transmission poles.  Here's a 100' truck and a small rough terrain crane.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sounds like less work for myself. Just seems pretty petty considering the fence is fine

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, make sure to take a video if they remove the easement covering section of the deck with a chain saw as you don’t do shit.

It might not end up being fine after dealing with you, and might make a decision to take it out the day of as well b/c they had to deal with an asshole?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It might not end up being fine after dealing with you, and might make a decision to take it out the day of as well b/c they had to deal with an asshole?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think many people grasp how much room it takes to replace transmission poles.  Here's a 100' truck and a small rough terrain crane.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/20181110_153055_jpg-2799104.JPG
View Quote

Poles on the front of my property are within 6 ft of existing  poles they are replacing. Many are nearly touching.  They are replacing transmission lines in what seems like the entire county and they are all this way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Every so often in my town, people's fancy large brick mailboxes have to get demolished because there's a water main break directly underneath them.

Right of ways and bad luck like to hang out together
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:05:51 AM EDT
[#8]
If it gets in their way, they will remove it
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Buddy got yelled at by the power company for having an in ground pool above a transformer vault.
Told them the pool was there when he bought the place, so they put in a new one elsewhere, never asked him if the vault was still there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Welp got a email back about all this

They told me not to worry about the fence as its fine

Said the shed and my fuckin deck has to go though

What the fuck!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/_Map_Snip_230428_153907-2798873.jpg
View Quote

Have you seen a copy of the actual easement?

You might also want to post a picture of the existing poles running through there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's not how it works. They have access to the easement area, hence them saying the fence is fine. He only would be required to remove them (or be billed for the removal) if the easement restricts them from being there. Not all easements restrict it. Some easements have very specific language... I just dealt with one that said structures were allowed as long as they didn't violate the NESC.
View Quote

Well that may or may not be the case... they may have access to the actual easement, but no actual working room outside the easement, and no right of access over the property to the easement.

Words have meanings... what does the actual easement language say? The off picture easement width looks to be an odd dimension for the width of an easement. It would be a less odd measurement for someone in engineering/maintenance to show based on looking at a drawing and saying "we need 25ft either side of the power pole to do the work".

The power company trying to pretend and bully homeowners? Not so uncommon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most power companies would be putting it underground here...
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

138kV?

Where? San Diego?

UG transmission is stupid and most definitely not common.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

138kV?

Where? San Diego?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

138kV?

Where? San Diego?

Not to mention absurdly expensive/labor intensive.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought.
Assuming they aren't going to be burying 138kV, they'll need to access the poles to replace the poles.

Those look like the poles Eversource is redoing all over NH.  From what I've seen, they've been pretty good about staying in their corridor, but man it takes a lot of prep to be able to do so.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get a security camera and a copy of the actual legal easement. Profit?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Those look like the poles Eversource is redoing all over NH.  From what I've seen, they've been pretty good about staying in their corridor, but man it takes a lot of prep to be able to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought.

Yeah we've been going balls to the wall since Covid started.  They're called weathering steel or Cor-ten steel.  Probably what OP's back yard is going to get replaced with, except the will be monopoles, not H-frame.  We only do galvanized poles if an adjacent line is galvi so they match.

Funny enough, we're running a brand new line in an existing ROW in my neighborhood.  All 120' Cor-Ten steel.  My neighbors who abut the ROW are losing their minds over it.  It's been the main topic of town meetings for the last six months.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#18]
So far no one has done anything. One guy they are telling him he has to remove his screened in porch thats attached to his house lol.

Utility company so far is refusing to help with any expenses related

The whole street is taking a do nothing approach

Going to be a fun time I bet

My neighbor is retired and his mission in life right now is to make it hell on the company over his yard barn location
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#19]
It would have been on thie titles and they also would have seen the transmission lines
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It would have been on thie titles and they also would have seen the transmission lines
View Quote

Checked my paperwork

Theres some bullshit catch all saying right of way and easements apply to lot no xxx but no specifics.

Apparently a lot of peoples on the streets were just like that

It was certainly never mentioned to me that the yard barn and my deck stairs are in violation of a easement when I purchased
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah we've been going balls to the wall since Covid started.  They're called weathering steel or Cor-ten steel.  Probably what OP's back yard is going to get replaced with, except the will be monopoles, not H-frame.  We only do galvanized poles if an adjacent line is galvi so they match.

Funny enough, we're running a brand new line in an existing ROW in my neighborhood.  All 120' Cor-Ten steel.  My neighbors who abut the ROW are losing their minds over it.  It's been the main topic of town meetings for the last six months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought.

I have a section of my back yard that dips into the lines that you all are replacing starting next year.  The only thing I'm worried about is I have a corner survey maker out there.  Other than that, I'll probably be tossing cold beer to the crews.  

I should probably send my email to the address at the bottom of the letter I got so I can stay aware.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So far no one has done anything. One guy they are telling him he has to remove his screened in porch thats attached to his house lol.

My neighbor is retired and his mission in life right now is to make it hell on the company over his yard barn location
View Quote

Honestly, i would probably do the same until the crews showed up.  It is possible they can work with what is there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't do anything with the steps they should not be any issue.

I'd also not do anything with the shed until people are onsite and ask it to be moved.

But, is the shed attached to the ground or is it on skids? If it's mobile, drag it out of the easement so you can say you did your part.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd also not do anything with the shed until people are onsite and ask it to be moved.

But, is the shed attached to the ground or is it on skids? If it's mobile, drag it out of the easement so you can say you did your part.
View Quote

Its on blocks

I really dont even know how to go about moving it

Furthermore I dont even know if I can put it 'on my property' with how little I actually own due to the easement. That spot on the bottom right is the only place it might fit and itll be close from the looks of it

I still need to measure the yard and see if what they are putting down is accurate as well

Im not sure if they didnt notice or dont care but there is also a retaining wall on the otherside of my fence that is brick. I dont know how they plan to get around all that

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Checked my paperwork

Theres some bullshit catch all saying right of way and easements apply to lot no xxx but no specifics.

It was certainly never mentioned to me that the yard barn and my deck stairs are in violation of a easement when I purchased
View Quote

Specific easements will be listed within the title report, depending on the search period of the report and the year that the easement was granted. They are not typically and specifically mentioned in the deed. Being a Major Utility Easement, it definitely should be shown on the subdivision plat as it impacts the buildable area of each lot and Zoning Departments are vigilant.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Dang.

Sorry man. This sucks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
file a claim against your title insurance for the value of the shed and fence?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Power Co put new poles around my neighborhood and a transformer in my yard and didn't ask shit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Its on blocks

View Quote

Might be worth it to build some skids just in case.  Would be relatively easy to do with 4x4s and a jack.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cor-Ten is that crap that's designed to look rusty, as the rust is its protective coating?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Its on blocks

Furthermore I dont even know if I can put it 'on my property' with how little I actually own due to the easement. That spot on the bottom right is the only place it might fit and itll be close from the looks of it

I still need to measure the yard and see if what they are putting down is accurate as well

Im not sure if they didnt notice or dont care but there is also a retaining wall on the otherside of my fence that is brick. I dont know how they plan to get around all that

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/_Map_Snip_230428_153907-2798873.jpg
View Quote
Some pipe or logs as rollers.
Shed on 4x4 or 6x6 beams.

Easy as hell as longs as it is not up hill.

We moved a 40ft conex,my wifes steam bath and fish-camp house that way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My neighborhood just had its lines buried.   A great thing given how plagued we are with trees playing Smashy-Smashy with the lines.  Dominion Resources and its subcontractors visibility did everything they could to minimize property damage and footprint. Most people dealt with it, but there were a few ("fine as is") Karens.

They will tell you what they need you to do.
View Quote

Easements for utilities are hard to fight, it’s usually easier to try and work with the company rather than drag shit into court.

Underground is always better protected, but it’s more time consuming to install, and ten times worse than overhead for finding problems.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The land is slopping pretty hard

At the front of the shed its on land. Then 2 block. 3 blocks. 4 blocks as it gets to the rear

I have a fence and my neighbor behind me has a fence. Everything is so slopped we can easily see into each others yard even with the fences due to how much of a grade there is
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

At the front of the shed its on land. Then 2 block. 3 blocks. 4 blocks as it gets to the rear

I have a fence and my neighbor behind me has a fence. Everything is so slopped we can easily see into each others yard even with the fences due to how much of a grade there is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you get a truck there or anchor a come a long somehow?

Shed can't be that heavy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Checked my paperwork

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checked my paperwork

Hopefully you still have all your paperwork from your purchase.  Find out who the title insurance company was and file a claim with them. You pay for the insurance in your closing costs and you may be covered for expenses arising from the non-disclosure or lack of discovery during the sale.

Also take a bunch of pictures and some video of the area.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Its on blocks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its on blocks

As said, put it on skids and move it out of the easement. Once they are gone. Move it back.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Poles on the front of my property are within 6 ft of existing  poles they are replacing. Many are nearly touching.  They are replacing transmission lines in what seems like the entire county and they are all this way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a run of replacement wooden poles here where the electric company sawed off the top and bottom of the old poles, and left a 18" chunk of each one attached to the low voltage wires. They've been that way for a few weeks now.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Dayam, that new map shows an easement where the deck is
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dayam, that new map shows an easement where the deck is
View Quote

Yeah thats the part that turned me from not caring to pissed off
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How are they going to use the easement into his yard where the fence won't effect them but the 3 steps on his deck will?
View Quote

Speculation here, but it may be more of a safety/liability/regulation issue for the utility than an actual physical constraint in carrying out the work, since as you note the fence would seem to be more of an impediment-you can't directly get to the other items without going over or through the fence first.  They may be required by insurance or some regulation to ensure that no inhabited/habitable structures are within the easement when working on the lines/poles.  Since the deck is attached to the house and you can enter it directly from the house, it counts as part of the house.  They likewise can't see whether there is someone in the shed, so it needs to not be there.  Suppose they drop a live line onto the shed and someone is in there they didn't know about, who gets electrocuted?  Or likewise, a live line sets your deck on fire and it spreads to the house?  Yes, the deck only intrudes a bit into the easement, but safety regulations don't say things like "you can violate this regulation by just a little bit and it'll be fine."  Your wooden fence may be fine but if it were chain link I expect they would be a bit less likely to allow it to stay in the easement.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Pic from other side of my fence looking towards the road and where they will likely enter

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Pic from other side of my fence looking towards the road and where they will likely enter

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/20230504_174715-2806425.jpg
View Quote

Wow.  That doesn't look good.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gunna be a cluster for sure
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Pop up neighborhoods.  IN is full of them as the fields get cut up and sold.

You might as well get the shed prepped to move and plan on redoing your fence.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all going to have to get matted.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hard work often pays off in the long run, but procrastination always pays off now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FWIW places that sell sheds will have a forklift type setup that can move sheds for delivery (and sometimes repossesion)

If  a bunch of people need sheds moved, they might get a decent price on it by doing it all at the same time.
View Quote

The letter also said the utility company can help relocate items.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like a surveyor was banging on the door this morning at 730 but I was already gone for work
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looks like a surveyor was banging on the door this morning at 730 but I was already gone for work
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Wife got home and says there are stakes put in the backyard round about where the easement is

Glad we didnt leave my dog in the backyard this morning so the bro who let himself into my backyard didnt get ate

Seriously what the fuck
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top