Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]
To find out the power company's intended actions, is there a regulatory authority you can ask for copies of the plans? File a FOIA request?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Painted muh cat,  stole my ridin mower
?

Hell, I caught lead in Anzio.

NO,  we are not them.  Hehehehheheh hehehehehhh.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wife got home and says there are stakes put in the backyard round about where the easement is

Glad we didnt leave my dog in the backyard this morning so the bro who let himself into my backyard didnt get ate

Seriously what the fuck
View Quote

"Looks like my street and I are about to get learnt on easements"

You just got learnt on easements.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

question;  yes, they have an easement in the back, but does that allow them to cross your property outside of their easement?

I'd opine that they should have accessed his portion of their easement from other parts of their easement.

edit: sorry, I read that as the guy opened his backyard gate to access the easement from the front of the property.  I read too far into that.  only thing stated was that the easement was accessed, not "how" it was accessed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just glad the dog didnt get the guy since he went through my gate without asking

I feel most of GD would have a problem with some bro just going in their backyards unannounced easement or no easement
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Time for a lock on the gate.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
So I have electric lines running over a fence on the back of my property.  How do I find out if there is an easement?  Or does the fact that there is an electric pole and line there mean that there is?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To find out the power company's intended actions, is there a regulatory authority you can ask for copies of the plans? File a FOIA request?
View Quote

County Recorders Office should have the papers.

I taught myself how to do title searches.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s almost assuredly some office twat, you need to talk (not email) to the project interface manger and preferably the actual on the ground project engineer too to find out what the fuck they are doing or planning to do. Setting lines in that residential of a neighborhood with no street or alley access is fucking retarded in the first place but talk to somebody else.

Im with you on the fuck them part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Covered deck?

Just a reminder to double check the actual easement before tearing anything apart or moving stuff...

No its just a raised deck.

I wrote back to this bish asking if they were telling me I had to take down my shed and my deck. This snoody fuckin bish just wrote back "that is correct have a nice day"

That’s almost assuredly some office twat, you need to talk (not email) to the project interface manger and preferably the actual on the ground project engineer too to find out what the fuck they are doing or planning to do. Setting lines in that residential of a neighborhood with no street or alley access is fucking retarded in the first place but talk to somebody else.

Im with you on the fuck them part.

You don't know that the power line (and thus the easement) wasn't there first.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just glad the dog didnt get the guy since he went through my gate without asking

I feel most of GD would have a problem with some bro just going in their backyards unannounced easement or no easement
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, if the guy was a licensed surveyor, then its legal for him to access your property like that, even if unannounced.

IC 25-21.5-9-7
Land surveyor entry on land, water, or property
Sec. 7. (a) As used in this section, "public utility" means a corporation, company, partnership, limited liability company, political subdivision (as defined in IC 36-1-2-13), individual, association of individuals, or their lessees, trustees, or receivers appointed by a court that own, operate, manage, or control any plant or equipment within Indiana for the:
(1) conveyance of telephone messages;
(2) production, transmission, delivery, or furnishing of heat, light, water, or power; or
(3) collection, treatment, purification, and disposal in a sanitary manner of liquid and solid waste, sewage, night soil, and industrial waste.
(b) Subject to section 8 of this chapter and except as provided in subsection (c), a land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of a land surveyor may enter upon, over, or under any land, water, or property within Indiana for the limited purpose of the practice of land surveying. The land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of the land surveyor may not interfere with any construction, operation, or maintenance activity being conducted upon the land, water, or property by the owner or occupant.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (b), a land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of a land surveyor may not enter:
(1) property owned or controlled by:
(A) the Indiana department of homeland security; or (B) a public utility; or
(2) a building, dwelling, or structure on the land or property.
As added by P.L.83-2011, SEC.1.

IC 25-21.5-9-8
Identification before entry; liability for damage
Sec. 8. (a) To the extent practicable, before entering upon, over, or under any land, water, or property under section 7 of this chapter, a land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of a land surveyor shall present written identification to the occupant of the land, water, or property.
(b) A land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of a land surveyor is liable for any damage that may occur to the land, water, or property as a result of entry upon, over, or under the land, water, or property under section 7 of this chapter..
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

well, if the guy was a licensed surveyor, then its legal for him to access your property like that, even if unannounced.

View Quote

It maybe legal but like I said Im glad the dog wasnt out because she would have got him
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IC 25-21.5-9-7
Land surveyor entry on land, water, or property
Sec. 7. (a) As used in this section, "public utility" means a corporation, company, partnership, limited liability company, political subdivision (as defined in IC 36-1-2-13), individual, association of individuals, or their lessees, trustees, or receivers appointed by a court that own, operate, manage, or control any plant or equipment within Indiana for the:
(1) conveyance of telephone messages;
(2) production, transmission, delivery, or furnishing of heat, light, water, or power; or
(3) collection, treatment, purification, and disposal in a sanitary manner of liquid and solid waste, sewage, night soil, and industrial waste.
(b) Subject to section 8 of this chapter and except as provided in subsection (c), a land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of a land surveyor may enter upon, over, or under any land, water, or property within Indiana for the limited purpose of the practice of land surveying. The land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of the land surveyor may not interfere with any construction, operation, or maintenance activity being conducted upon the land, water, or property by the owner or occupant.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (b), a land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of a land surveyor may not enter:
(1) property owned or controlled by:
(A) the Indiana department of homeland security; or (B) a public utility; or
(2) a building, dwelling, or structure on the land or property.
As added by P.L.83-2011, SEC.1.

IC 25-21.5-9-8
Identification before entry; liability for damage
Sec. 8. (a) To the extent practicable, before entering upon, over, or under any land, water, or property under section 7 of this chapter, a land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of a land surveyor shall present written identification to the occupant of the land, water, or property.
(b) A land surveyor and any personnel under the supervision of a land surveyor is liable for any damage that may occur to the land, water, or property as a result of entry upon, over, or under the land, water, or property under section 7 of this chapter..

Nevermind, said they aren't starting until June 2023
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It maybe legal but like I said Im glad the dog wasnt out because she would have got him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think your fence and dog are the first for a surveyor?  lol If you didn't have a fence blocking access to the easement, the surveyor wouldn't have had to access from the (presumed) only gate that's not in the easement. Do you see how this works yet? Give them a hard time.  Make sure everyone you know gives them a hard time.  Don't complain when your electric bills increase every year.

The aerial photos you find in various places, including your property appraiser's website, are not exact, in orientation or scale or location. The original sketch they sent you based on the aerial photo was likely used as a preliminary sketch and the lines and dimensions were scaled to some reference points on the aerial photo. You could have taken some measurements off your know property corners to know where the actual easement line is.  Sounds like they brought in a surveyor to do that for you.  You may want to put some kind of semi-permanent mark (a screw or nail or something) on your fence, based on their survey, for your future use.  

It's hard to understand why people are so entertained by their own ignorance?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wife got home and says there are stakes put in the backyard round about where the easement is

Glad we didnt leave my dog in the backyard this morning so the bro who let himself into my backyard didnt get ate

Seriously what the fuck
View Quote

Situation sucks all the way around. :/ Sorry you have to deal with this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You think your fence and dog are the first for a surveyor?  lol If you didn't have a fence blocking access to the easement, the surveyor wouldn't have had to access from the (presumed) only gate that's not in the easement. Do you see how this works yet? Give them a hard time.  Make sure everyone you know gives them a hard time.  Don't complain when your electric bills increase every year.

The aerial photos you find in various places, including your property appraiser's website, are not exact, in orientation or scale or location. The original sketch they sent you based on the aerial photo was likely used as a preliminary sketch and the lines and dimensions were scaled to some reference points on the aerial photo. You could have taken some measurements off your know property corners to know where the actual easement line is.  Sounds like they brought in a surveyor to do that for you.  You may want to put some kind of semi-permanent mark (a screw or nail or something) on your fence, based on their survey, for your future use.  

It's hard to understand why people are so entertained by their own ignorance?
View Quote

I never complained once before

It went up anyways

Do I think its the only dog they have had to deal with? No I dont. However if some guy comes into my property unannounced and gets bit its my problem. It would just be nice to know when the energy company wants to come into my back yard so there isnt any accidents. But I guess thats being inconsiderate of 'their' easement
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For design plans??? The easement maybe...

For design plans, if they affect you, call the utility.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd opine that they should have accessed his portion of their easement from other parts of their easement.
View Quote

That kind of depends upon what the easement actually says...
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending upon the state.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks like a surveyor was banging on the door this morning at 730 but I was already gone for work
View Quote

At least he was courteous enough as to knock...
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Suppose they drop a live line onto the shed and someone is in there they didn't know about, who gets electrocuted?
View Quote

Pretty sure they kill the power first...
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#21]
They flip the light switch on each 20’ piece of line they work on, or turn power off to the whole city?

Hint. They’re still hot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wouldn't do anything with the steps they should not be any issue.
View Quote

If someone says they are an issue ask for whoever their head of engineering is to meet you onsite to discuss.

99% chance he'll ask the engineer on site to send pics and ask why he's being bothered with the issue...

If it's a huge inconvenience to them their in-house counsel will likely suggest they issue you a letter saying they're allowed to be in the easement, but don't do it again.

Chances are that if the shed is a temporary structure (it doesn't have a foundation) you can also get away with storing it ON YOUR OWN LAND on the easement... read the easement language and it likely mentions "permanent structures."
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That kind of depends upon what the easement actually says...
View Quote

Sure does. If a neighbor or utility company wants to use my property to access something, they should ask my permission if they don't have an easement. Having an easement on one piece of property doesn't automatically grant an easement on a second piece of property to access the first easement. Even owning property doesn't automatically give them the right to cross others' property to access theirs. Landlocked property is a thing.  

Surveyor and law enforcement exemption from trespassing laws may be a different matter, depending on location and the circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They flip the light switch on each 20’ piece of line they work on, or turn power off to the whole city?

Hint. They’re still hot.
View Quote

They do a cut over onto a different circuit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Eversource has been doing this all over CT and New England. Lots of people around here have lost big chunks of backyard and lots of trees. Neighbors that previously had wooded dividers between lots are completely bare with much larger poles than before.

Coincidentally a friend recently started working for the power company in a customer service role related to these projects and she basically spends all day telling customers to get fucked, it’s all within the easements.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sure does. If a neighbor or utility company wants to use my property to access something, they should ask my permission if they don't have an easement. Having an easement on one piece of property doesn't automatically grant an easement on a second piece of property to access the first easement. Even owning property doesn't automatically give them the right to cross others' property to access theirs. Landlocked property is a thing.  

Surveyor and law enforcement exemption from trespassing laws may be a different matter, depending on location and the circumstances.
View Quote

And having an easement doesn't necessarily give a right of access to the easement through the property or additional working room outside the easement to turn the truck, store materials etc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And having an easement doesn't necessarily give a right of access to the easement through the property or additional working room outside the easement to turn the truck, store materials etc.
View Quote

But there is a fence installed within the easement blocking access to said easement...
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But there is a fence installed within the easement blocking access to said easement...
View Quote

Well lets be real here. The fence isnt the issue

My deck steps are

per the power company whom shares my backyard
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was posting that based on the OP's listed state and the relevant statutes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My deck steps are

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My deck steps are

This time, for this project.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#31]
OST for the yard carnage.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My deck steps are

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My deck steps are

That isn't the issue to which I was responding (i.e., the power company's objection to any structure in your yard).

It was the issue as to why the surveyor had to come through your gate...
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easement. He doesn’t have to ask. He knocked out of courtesy.

If I had a problem with someone accessing an easement on my property…I wouldn’t buy such a property.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Time for a lock on the gate.
View Quote

In what world do you live in that a lock actually prevents access to someone who has the legal right to such access?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hint. They’re still hot.
View Quote

Yep. They replace poles and restring 138kV hot.

/arfcom expert
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My deck steps are

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My deck steps are

Are they within the easement now that you have survey markers?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope this ends up with the minimum expense and hassle to you and the maximum entertainment for GD.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#38]
It's beginning

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
At least they're doing what they can to avoid chewing up the grass.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

GD alone can solve this crisis for the entire hood
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

question;  yes, they have an easement in the back, but does that allow them to cross your property outside of their easement?

edit: sorry, I read that as the guy opened his backyard gate to access the easement from the front of the property.  I read too far into that.  only thing stated was that the easement was accessed, not "how" it was accessed.
View Quote

Some power companies have essentially cart blanch to access their easement from anywhere on your property. It’s in their tariff with the State agency regulating utilities. Florida Power & Light for instance will claim this
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Came for MS paint.
View Quote

I came for mad neighborhood Karen boobs.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:41:33 AM EDT
[#43]
So there's a ton of room behind your fenced yard, and they're cribbing the drainage ditch to run their pole setters down the uninhabited ditch?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Call and ask
View Quote

Duh! In for the win.
Don't even try to fight them unless you love losing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So there's a ton of room behind your fenced yard, and they're cribbing the drainage ditch to run their pole setters down the uninhabited ditch?
View Quote

That's just the road.  They have to use the access points, not people's driveways.  The matting around the pole will be larger and have to be flat.  We try to get 50' all around the pole, but in sensitive areas, matting only one side is doable.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#46]
front end loader with forks and fork extensions will lift a shed easy as pie
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#47]
They're replacing lines.  It'll be a mess for a few weeks and then you'll never see them again.  Make sure they have safe access and life will return to normal soon enough.  It's not a huge deal unless someone makes it a huge deal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#48]
There is a lot of retardery in this thread.

100% the easement would have been noted prior to you buying the home unless the poles went in after. It is not the power companies issue you or the title company missed it. Not matter the reason they have right to the property period and you would lose any sort of court case.

With that in mind the best approach is have a good conversation with whoever is leading the site project. Be a human and chances are they will work around you or tell you what needs to happen and will minimize issues with you. Be an asshole and they will make your life suck
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There is a lot of retardery in this thread.

100% the easement would have been noted prior to you buying the home unless the poles went in after. It is not the power companies issue you or the title company missed it. Not matter the reason they have right to the property period and you would lose any sort of court case.

With that in mind the best approach is have a good conversation with whoever is leading the site project. Be a human and chances are they will work around you or tell you what needs to happen and will minimize issues with you. Be an asshole and they will make your life suck
View Quote

As is evidenced by the power company having to deal with the reluctant people, it is their issue too.  That doesn't mean they aren't right and won't win, but they have to deal with it.  And it is entirely believable that the city or county failed to record the easements in a timely or proper manner and they were not attached to the deeds for these lots.  I'm sure the utility does have the right to the easement, but the property owners may not have had clear notice, and the average residential homeowner is neither equipped nor trained to track that sort of thing down.  It shouldn't be hard to find a little sympathy for the homeowners who were very likely victimized by shady pop-up developers, overworked understaffed platting divisions, and title insurance companies who view their service as something that everyone should have to pay for and never use.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#50]
The real problem is the homeowners who buy these postage stamp fucking yards.
The real estate investment groups wouldn't divide them up into 1/3 acre lots if people refused to buy them.
It's amazing to see lots listed by square feet, vs acres.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top