Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol the lady called about the shed asking how its going on removing everything from their easement

I told her not very good

I asked if they planned on providing any assistance and she replied no
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Talked to my neighbor at lunch and I guess he got the call too

Hes super fired up and says he will camp inside his shed to prevent them from moving it

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Shed looks not up to my usual answer of moving heavy shit, which is a couple comealongs and disregarding safety...

I guess they aren't doing the part where they offer assistance in moving stuff like the original letter you posted said?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hes super fired up and says he will camp inside his shed to prevent them from moving it

View Quote

Any chance you can Livestream his shed?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife owns a consulting business for planning and development.  Looks at floodplain stuff and manages stuff as well as other types of stuffs (honestly IDFK).

Anyway, we’ve been looking to purchase a home/property here in Florida and she always wants to see the easements, plot maps and whatever else for just these reasons.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shed looks not up to my usual answer of moving heavy shit, which is a couple comealongs and disregarding safety...

I guess they aren't doing the part where they offer assistance in moving stuff like the original letter you posted said?
View Quote

I asked if they would help today and she said they would not be offering assistance

Ive talked to the guys on the ground and they say the shed/stairs and what have you isnt going to be in their way

I mentioned that to the lady today and she said it doesnt matter it has to be removed

Welp I guess have fun moving it. Bring a chainsaw for my deck stairs I guess

Im still waiting for the retaining wall to come up. It looks like its going to be mighty close to the path they are building and its probably 2 or 3 feet high or so
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I asked if they would help today and she said they would not be offering assistance

Ive talked to the guys on the ground and they say the shed/stairs and what have you isnt going to be in their way

I mentioned that to the lady today and she said it doesnt matter it has to be removed

Im still waiting for the retaining wall to come up. It looks like its going to be mighty close to the path they are building and its probably 2 or 3 feet high or so
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The usual disconnect between the office folk and the folk actually doing the work, I see.

We were trying to get internet hooked up at our house, and the guy who came up didn't even get out of his van before he said he had bad news.  Too far from the road for their equipment to work.  Something they could have measured on Google Maps easily before dispatching him, but nope, he said it happened regularly.  He wasn't sure if they were ignorant, incompetent, or just didn't want to be the ones delivering the bad news.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly why you need to talk to someone who actually knows wtf they are talking about. Ask the guys in the field (or their foreman) who you can call to make the lady stop harassing you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like the utility company is their own worst enemy, making enemies, instead of trying to help solve this stuff.  

Sure it costs money, but how hard would it be to have someone go door to door as soon as the project is confirmed and have that person talk to the homeowners who will need items moved, and make determinations rather than issue a scorched earth statement "Everything must go!" (even if it is not in the way)?  I can see them not knowing for sure what is in the way, etc...  But even then they could say "I think your stairs are safe, we won't be going anywhere near the boundary of the easement.  The shed may be an issue, but if you can have it empty and ready to move, we can try to assist on XX date, but be advised that we can't be responsible if it breaks when we push or pull it with heavy equipment.  Otherwise, we will give you a firm answer by XX date and you can move it yourself prior to XX date when we need to enter the property to work.  If it needs to be moved at that point, we will push it onto your property, or dispose of it and charge a disposal fee.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is exactly why you need to talk to someone who actually knows wtf they are talking about. Ask the guys in the field (or their foreman) who you can call to make the lady stop harassing you.
View Quote

I am now in possession of a email from the 'operations' team who have stated our yard barns are not going to be a issue

Regardless it seems this chick in the office is hell bent on making us move them just because
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't you just move the shed and take down a section of fence, then put it back when they're gone?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am now in possession of a email from the 'operations' team who have stated our yard barns are not going to be a issue

Regardless it seems this chick in the office is hell bent on making us move them just because
View Quote

"Don't worry office lady, as of now everything is out of the way of your crew."

What's she gonna do, come out and look?

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Don't worry office lady, as of now everything is out of the way of your crew."

What's she gonna do, come out and look?

View Quote

Maybe

Shes the ROW/encroachment agent so maybe they are making it a point to be strict

Hopefully itll blow over?

I still dont really plan to do anything
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's in an easement, expect it to be destroyed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The usual disconnect between the office folk and the folk actually doing the work, I see.

View Quote

What?

Say it ain't so.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got friends?  A protest this size seems proportional to this outrage.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/download_jpg-2798556.JPG
View Quote

Meanwhile the utility trying to upgrade and improve service.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This.

They aren't there to be monsters, but they need to bring compact tracked vehicles in to set new poles.

Often they will even arrange to help you move the shed and remove the fence panels if you can be on-site during job hours.
View Quote

Thos is 100% true, but we can't be talking all rational  in here?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And that will go extremely poorly for you
View Quote

Like a trackhoe running over your shed bad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/320068/DZKjnfuXkAAmf4S_jpg_large_jpg-2828735.JPG
View Quote

Everyone pisses and moans about the failing grid, inability to support increased demand and blackouts until its time to trim their trees or access an easement in their property.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Everyone pisses and moans about the failing grid, inability to support increased demand and blackouts until its time to trim their trees or access an easement in their property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/320068/DZKjnfuXkAAmf4S_jpg_large_jpg-2828735.JPG

Right, because not butchering trees and easement access is the problem and not utilities chasing quick profits and not maintaining larger infrastructure.

Oh, and going along with green nonsense to make money and rack up a better esg score. Fuck that and them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the problem here is the usual big company problem of a blanket statement that is ambiguous and threatening, while the guys in the field are all "naw, it's cool, we can work around this."
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Right, because not butchering trees and easement access is the problem and not utilities chasing quick profits and not maintaining larger infrastructure.

Oh, and going along with green nonsense to make money and rack up a better esg score. Fuck that and them.
View Quote

Yeah, not "butchering" trees is is a big problem. Once the Karen's around here STFU about it due to massive outages they trimmed a shit ton of them and things are much better. How do they maintain infrastructure without access to easements?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or the problem here is the usual big company problem of a blanket statement that is ambiguous and threatening, while the guys in the field are all "naw, it's cool, we can work around this."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP had the right attitude, but that didn't stop people from going off with their "will not comply, it's worth dying in this shed!" nonsense long before it was clarified whether or not removal was required.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

They will tear it down and charge you for it....  you agreed to this when you bought the property.  Easements are in the disclosure.

It sucks man, but if you go talk to the crew working and ask where they need to be on your property they may work a deal out with you.  They don't need to deal with the BS and would rather help than fight with everyone.  They are just doing their job keeping the lights on.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Go with what the guy on site said, if it isn't an issue, it isn't an issue.

Having said that, don't push the buttons of the "lady" online, if she is an officer with some pull, that ain't helping, anything, and might bite you in the ass.

JMHO.

Do you have any pics of this retaining wall? Maybe I missed that if there are.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OP had the right attitude, but that didn't stop people from going off with their "will not comply, it's worth dying in this shed!" nonsense long before it was clarified whether or not removal was required.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, everyone loves to watch a train wreck.  Anyone listening to some of the advice I give had best consider that there's a possibility that all I want is entertainment to watch.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#28]
A case of bottled water and/or gateraid left on the retaining wall will help smooth out any issues between the office girl and the field guys.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

To be fair, everyone loves to watch a train wreck.  Anyone listening to some of the advice I give had best consider that there's a possibility that all I want is entertainment to watch.  
View Quote

Remember to end all advice with "IDK tho"
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#30]

IANAL but that seems legit…

IDK tho
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you tell her you moved it, I doubt she's getting out of her chair to check.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They will tear it down and charge you for it....  you agreed to this when you bought the property.  Easements are in the disclosure.

It sucks man, but if you go talk to the crew working and ask where they need to be on your property they may work a deal out with you.  They don't need to deal with the BS and would rather help than fight with everyone.  They are just doing their job keeping the lights on.
View Quote

So Ive been through all my paperwork

The only thing about easements is some catch all that says easements apply. There was nothing indicating most of my yard is a easement. Just some bullshit catch all regarding highways, roads, right of ways and easements apply. zero specifics

Furthermore it was sold to me with these items in violation of the easement. There was no mention of these violations by the previous homeowners nor the realtor

I would not consider that to 'be in the disclosure'

Regardless the working crew has assured me my stuff is not in their way. However office chick seems to not care
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The only thing about easements is some catch all that says easements apply. There was nothing indicating most of my yard is a easement. Just some bullshit catch all regarding highways, roads, right of ways and easements apply. zero specifics

Furthermore it was sold to me with these items in violation of the easement. There was no mention of these violations by the previous homeowners nor the realtor

Regardless the working crew has assured me my stuff is not in their way. However office chick seems to not care
View Quote

The easement will be listed in the Title Report with a specific instrument number and should also be shown on the survey.

The lender requires a Title Report be prepared before issuing a mortgage loan. The survey is usually optional, so most people don't order it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The easement will be listed in the Title Report with a specific instrument number and should also be shown on the survey.

The lender requires a Title Report be prepared before issuing a mortgage loan. The survey is usually optional, so most people don't order it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guessing that is regional?  Texas and NM, 3 houses and I've always had to get (and wanted) a survey.  Mind you they were all 1 acre or more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#35]
The easement should be listed on your deed.
See if you can move the shed and move it back, or it may be fine where it is.  Same goes for fence sections.  I'd call them and find out exactly what they need, let them know you want to be helpful.

They're not the end of the world like many treat them to be.  It sure is awesome having electricity, and that is not possible without easements.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Your title work will list recorded instruments on your property in the exception Bs. You will have to pull the backup documention(usually a book and page number) to review the easement. If the utility easement was recorded in the last 50 years, it more than likely has verbage regarding permanent structures being in the easement and the consequences if you don't comply.

You are pretty much screwed regardless if the ex owner did it or not. You are the current land owner.

I deal with utility companies and their easements all the time at my job.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter what the field guys say. If their lawyers are involved, they will be all over everyone until you comply with the easement agreement.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#38]
They have the whole rear area padded and new pole or two laying in the back now

Still havent moved shit
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
don't build shit on an easement
View Quote

A 25 foot easement though? That’s some BS.

Don’t buy property with an easement.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They have the whole rear area padded and new pole or two laying in the back now

Still havent moved shit
View Quote

Have any of the neighbors moved anything?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Have any of the neighbors moved anything?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Almost had that issue with a underground pipeline to the rear of our lot. Fence was put up in the non easement area. They were going to replace the pipeline and the engineer same out and announced that they were going to have to remove our fence for the reconstruction. I told them to pound salt, I wasn’t removing a thing and neither were they outside of the easement. He contended that they have a right which I said “not out of the easement you don’t unless I grant permission which I will not give.”

About three months later we got notice that the pipeline construction was cancelled and the existing pipeline was being abandoned in place. I have a letter stating that  now. Seems that they got pushback from others together with the discovery that the pipeline now goes through wetlands which didn’t exist when it was first constructed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I work with land / legal rights for both gas pipelines and electric transmission and distribution towers and pole lines, with years of experience in this and land surveying.

Without reading through this entire thread, if you have any specific questions at this point I can give an opinion based on my experience.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Almost had that issue with a underground pipeline to the rear of our lot. Fence was put up in the non easement area. They were going to replace the pipeline and the engineer same out and announced that they were going to have to remove our fence for the reconstruction. I told them to pound salt, I wasn’t removing a thing and neither were they outside of the easement. He contended that they have a right which I said “not out of the easement you don’t unless I grant permission which I will not give.”

About three months later we got notice that the pipeline construction was cancelled and the existing pipeline was being abandoned in place. I have a letter stating that  now. Seems that they got pushback from others together with the discovery that the pipeline now goes through wetlands which didn’t exist when it was first constructed.
View Quote

Hate to tell ya - but utility companies actually do have a reasonable right outside of the strict easement width. This is well precedented and enforceable in court. Now I’m not saying they’re rushing to court, that’s expensive, but I can tell you it can be done.

There is an implied right of adjacent usage for reasonable use in construction / maintenance / reconstruction of facilities in an easement.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter what the field guys say. If their lawyers are involved, they will be all over everyone until you comply with the easement agreement.
View Quote

I worked for the power company, I wager that no lawyers involved or anything. Just tell the office chick
yes, thanks bye

And go about with your life

Sounds like just replacing some poles. We replaced them all the time even with structures built within 1 or two feet of where we needed to set the pole.
Make friends with the linemen they are cool and you will be fine

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hate to tell ya - but utility companies actually do have a reasonable right outside of the strict easement width. This is well precedented and enforceable in court. Now I’m not saying they’re rushing to court, that’s expensive, but I can tell you it can be done.

There is an implied right of adjacent usage for reasonable use in construction / maintenance / reconstruction of facilities in an easement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does "reasonable" adjacent usage include removing a fence?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I mean, when your entire street bought their house, they knew there was an easement and that this is what happens when the utility owner needs to do work, right?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I worked for the power company, I wager that no lawyers involved or anything. Just tell the office chick
yes, thanks bye

And go about with your life

Sounds like just replacing some poles. We replaced them all the time even with structures built within 1 or two feet of where we needed to set the pole.
Make friends with the linemen they are cool and you will be fine

View Quote

This is also true. A neutral line failed on my block, and my power was affected by it. Power company came out, tested my line and found it was at their sub two houses down. They went into the backyard and started getting the work. The homeowner is a Karen to the "t". The linemen were talking shit about her to me regarding how she was complaining and asking so many questions about who called them, etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#49]
So you bought property with public utilities on it and you think there is no easement?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So you bought property with public utilities on it and you think there is no easement?
View Quote

Very much akin to jumping in on page 7 with such a timely and salient question.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top