User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is also true. A neutral line failed on my block, and my power was affected by it. Power company came out, tested my line and found it was at their sub two houses down. They went into the backyard and started getting the work. The homeowner is a Karen to the "t". The linemen were talking shit about her to me regarding how she was complaining and asking so many questions about who called them, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked for the power company, I wager that no lawyers involved or anything. Just tell the office chick
yes, thanks bye

And go about with your life

Sounds like just replacing some poles. We replaced them all the time even with structures built within 1 or two feet of where we needed to set the pole.
Make friends with the linemen they are cool and you will be fine

This is also true. A neutral line failed on my block, and my power was affected by it. Power company came out, tested my line and found it was at their sub two houses down. They went into the backyard and started getting the work. The homeowner is a Karen to the "t". The linemen were talking shit about her to me regarding how she was complaining and asking so many questions about who called them, etc.

I had some linemen jump our fence to replace a thing on the pole right outside our house while it was snowing.  Never even realized they were there until I saw them and started chatting.  They said they quickly figured out who had dogs loose in the yards, or were otherwise assholes, and were more than able to call if they needed to get into those areas.  Other than that, most people were like me and "cool, please get the power back on ASAP."  If they'd told me they were coming as fast as they did, I'd have opened the gate and saved them a walk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So you bought property with public utilities on it and you think there is no easement?
View Quote

There's plenty of properties with public utilities and no easements...
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hate to tell ya - but utility companies actually do have a reasonable right outside of the strict easement width. This is well precedented and enforceable in court. Now I’m not saying they’re rushing to court, that’s expensive, but I can tell you it can be done.

There is an implied right of adjacent usage for reasonable use in construction / maintenance / reconstruction of facilities in an easement.
View Quote

What's the case?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So Ive been through all my paperwork

The only thing about easements is some catch all that says easements apply. There was nothing indicating most of my yard is a easement. Just some bullshit catch all regarding highways, roads, right of ways and easements apply. zero specifics

Furthermore it was sold to me with these items in violation of the easement. There was no mention of these violations by the previous homeowners nor the realtor

I would not consider that to 'be in the disclosure'

Regardless the working crew has assured me my stuff is not in their way. However office chick seems to not care
View Quote

Go to the recorders office and get a copy of your subdivision plat.  May be a few versions depending on if it was revised, they often are.

Look for your lot and the dedicated utility easement on the back edge of your lot.   The subdivision developer was the grantor of the easement before any of the lots were sold.  You bought your lot "subject to" that and any other prior recorded easements.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does "reasonable" adjacent usage include removing a fence?
View Quote

Absolutely. It happens all the time.

Pursuant to state laws (I’m sure of any state) the company is of course legally obliged to restore back to previous or better condition when finished. Ideally they should be taking pictures / video of the existing conditions before work.

If the work would be considered an overburdening of the easement compensation would be due. What’s overburdening you ask? That’s up to interpretation. That could be handled ahead of time through something like a temporary construction easement.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Go to the recorders office and get a copy of your subdivision plat.  May be a few versions depending on if it was revised, they often are.

Look for your lot and the dedicated utility easement on the back edge of your lot.   The subdivision developer was the grantor of the easement before any of the lots were sold.  You bought your lot "subject to" that and any other prior recorded easements.
View Quote

That is one way to do it, supposing your property is actually in a subdivision. Other ways would be via Schedule B of a title report.

Large rural lots have plenty of transmission easements on them of course that were granted from private property owners. Another option is reaching out to the utility company to see if they’ll provide it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm suprised they haven't messed with the neighbors fences.  OP's fence is mid-span(between two poles), so they shouldn't need to touch it since they can drive by it as it's not blocking the temp road.  Post pics when they start working OP.

Our company usually takes care of the people with easements as they got some bad press from tree clearing a few years back.  They've actually bought fences for people in some cases where they had to cut the tree line just to avoid negative press.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
First day I've seen some real action at lunch

Looks like they doing it down the whole line

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Poles might be coming down today. A truck that looks like it's meant for pulling poles pulled up behind this guy before I left for work
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Do those poles seem really close together?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess the great tragedy is coming to a uneventful end

They chucked the old pole and put the new type in by the time I got off work

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I cannot believe no one has suggesting rooftop koreans yet
View Quote
How about getting picnic table peguins?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do those poles seem really close together?
View Quote
You misspelled "houses".
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Much adieu about nothing, it would seem.

Happy to hear it!
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top