Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Somebody who enjoys watching wannabe pirates take a tumble?
View Quote
True.

This was one of the suggested videos once it was done playing

Top 5 Stupid Things Harley Davidson Riders Do | MotoVlog
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep hoping someone will take all those Deals Gap doucher crashes, edit them into one video, speed it up, and put it to Yakkety Sax.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Harley hate threads aren't until Thursday
View Quote
Yep, today is Monday, so...

Calling all Musk / SpaceX / Tesla haters!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think the real problem in that video is what kind of cunt drives a van on Tail of the Dragon?
View Quote
Yeah, because roads are only for cycles
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Harley Low Speed Death Wobbles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmw6QppXnEY
View Quote
That is bigoted.  Clearly the front wheel self-identifies as wanting to be going 180 degrees from straight.  What is wrong with that?  Don't discriminate against the othered direction motorcycles.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#6]
If you like your wobble you can keep it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rules
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The real only true way to stop head shake, is with a longer wheel base. On dirt bikes Honda CR's and then their CRF's have this issue, it's from to steep a head angle, since redoing the head angle is pretty much out, you can get away by lengthiness the wheel base by moving rear axle all the way out, and adding a steering stabilizer. Honda has pretty much alway had this problem, but to their credit they designed them to turn, and the shorter wheel base makes them cut like a laser. I would bet the same reason Harley does it, to increase low speed maneuverability? Let's face it, Harley's are in all aspects thought of as cruisers and not speed or handling bikes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#9]
H&D r&d is shit, not surprised.  Funny how the older Harleys couldn't idle without temps soaring...while Jap bikes could idle all day long.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
My Thruxton would occasionally wobble with the terrible stock tires.

New tires, no problems.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, because roads are only for cycles
View Quote
And tractor trailors.

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Once upon a time, I got a tank-slapper on my '94 GSX-R750. It was at low to moderate speed accelerating on rough pavement. That was entertaining, as I didn't have a steering damper.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Pipes mustn't have been loud enough.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
That's the wobble from trying to muscle the handlebars into a desired turn direction (anti-countersteering). See that quite often in motorcycle accident videos.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a Honda 1300cc street bike and it had head wobble really bad... all the time!  After researching, I discovered that Honda was using head bearings with plastic cups holding the ball bearings.  I ordered 3rd party replacement bearings and guess what?  No more head wobble!!!  It's the bearings in the head tube guys!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Just have to know how to ride it

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had it happen to me on my 05 Road King.

So it is real. I just cracked the throttle a bit when it started and leaned the bike up a bit and it stopped and then I was like "holy shit" that was the wobble. I was doing about 75 on a curvy road.
View Quote
Same with my 06.
It was more of a "hinge in the middle" than head shake. The next rev of FL frames fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got a speed wobble coming down a mountain road at around 30 mph on my road bicycle.  Clamped onto the top tube and managed to slow without crashing.  A bike mechanic noticed the bearing in the head tube had an indentation from riding straight and wanted to index on that defect.  New bearing and raced solved my issue.
View Quote
pal of mine had a recurring wobble on a 98 road king classic at about 65-70.  checked everything, air, spokes, swing arm bearings, shocks. turned out the neck bearings for the front end were over-torqued. it was in at least three dealerships before someone figured it out. no more problem. in fact, it was a dealership in Yuba City, Ca, about three thousand miles from home.

tl/dr check neck bearings for proper tension.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
That has to be one of the most pathetic sad sack pussies on the planet.

Leaving the scene of an accident because you're afraid of some fat guys on bikes? I hope that man choked himself and never gets laid ever.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a Honda 1300cc street bike and it had head wobble really bad... all the time!  After researching, I discovered that Honda was using head bearings with plastic cups holding the ball bearings.  I ordered 3rd party replacement bearings and guess what?  No more head wobble!!!  It's the bearings in the head tube guys!
View Quote
Can be caused by a multitude of reasons, geometry, riding dynamics, road conditions, suspension settings and condition, weight distribution - shitty bearings as you say. Even tire pressure can contribute.

All bikes can experience, some worse than others. Exacerbated by rider response, it sucks since its not something you can be exposed to in a controlled environment. So you get live pucker training, which doesn't always work out well, even when you have a good idea of appropriate responses. 
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#22]
HD is first and foremost a clothing company. This is a prime case study in most business school books.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
HD is first and foremost a clothing company. This is a prime case study in most business school books.
View Quote
They're like Jimmy Buffett. They sell a fantasy and the lifestyle accessories to promote that fantasy. Not that it's a bad thing, they both have found a niche audience and the money keeps rolling in.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They're like Jimmy Buffett. They sell a fantasy and the lifestyle accessories to promote that fantasy. Not that it's a bad thing, they both have found a niche audience and the money keeps rolling in.
View Quote
Its something I've never understood.  The only Harley Davidson brand Harley Davidson item I own is my bike.  And I'm damn tempted to have someone paint over the name on the tank.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Not a bike rider, and had never heard of this "death wobble" thing.
Is it really that common?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Its something I've never understood.  The only Harley Davidson brand Harley Davidson item I own is my bike.  And I'm damn tempted to have someone paint over the name on the tank.
View Quote
I guess people want to identify with something. It's why people wear band t-shirts or sports team hats or Star Trek uniforms.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guess people want to identify with something. It's why people wear band t-shirts or sports team hats or Star Trek uniforms.
View Quote
Now I have to buy a Star Trek uniform for riding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Common enough to need to be aware, but in "normal" riding conditions, not all that common. Hell nobody would ride then. If When you push it, dont check things, have a bike that is prone to the issue, different level of concern. 

Brutal Tank Slapper Speed Wobble Compilation by BikeThrottle Bike Throttle DriveTribe Drive Tribe
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I've riden 3 and owned 2 and haven't had the death wobble?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Now I have to buy a Star Trek uniform for riding.
View Quote
I'd go with Biker Scout armor and pretend I'm on Endor. If anyone asks, when you careen off the road at Deal's Gap, tell the EMTs you were reenacting that scene in Jedi when that scout smashed into the tree and burst into flame.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Let's see YOU do that in reverse.

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"Oh they're going to beat our asses."

What a bunch of fucking faggots.  Got scared and didn't even bother checking on the rider that they filmed going down.
View Quote
Yeah I've never understood that one either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just have to know how to ride it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezf0MkCsFM
View Quote
Verfolgung V-Max auf dem Sachsenring

This is pretty incredible video of a Yamaha VMax on the track. The new generation models handle a fuck-ton better than the Gen1 models, that's for sure.

The only speed-wobble I ever experienced on an older model was because the back tire was fumbling for grip as I ripped through the gears. Wheelspin during a 3-4 upshift is an experience..
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#34]
The only Harley I've ever thought was cool

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not a great bike rider, but hitting the bars or mufflers during a turn has always been a fear of mine. My motorcycle instructor demonstrated it when I asked about it and made it seem like no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Never had any handling problems with my FXDS, or my SV650, or my Guzzis. Had a shake in my CB550 cured by new steering head bearings, and loose handling in my GL1000 caused by a bad tire.

No, to get a real taste of fear, I had to go to  four wheels. Nothing like an XJ violently trying to rip the steering wheel out of your hands at 80 mph.  Cherokee death wobble
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sure he's just redeeming his coupon from his " metric monthly " digest.

Harley haters, cooler haters, mug haters, truck brand haters, music haters........

So much fucking hate, they should start a forum called " Yep, I hate it "

I laugh my ass off at the amount of disdain these folks have.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Another reason I won't own a big twin.

I'll just stick to my girl bikes
For the record opie, I could buy a small pile of these for $25khttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1714-261703.JPG
View Quote
What's the deal with the dingleberries on the bottom of the frame?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think SEVERE wobble to the point of crashing due to poor design is all that common.  Some bikes have a lot more complaints about concerning wobbles than others.  Designed suspension geometry, flexy flyer frames, bad tires, loading, maintenance, crappy components and bad riding technique can be a cause.  There are a whole lot of things to check if you have a wobble and diagnosis can be time consuming.  I've had my ST1300 for 10 years and never have had an "I plead the fifth on how fast I was going" high speed weave or wobble.  The bike has been remarkably stable at high speed.  Had a low speed deceleration only wobble with the one and only set of Avon Storm Twos I tried.  Had a few instances of fleeting vicious head shake after breaking/regaining front traction on invisible unicorn piss while cornering.  No problems that can be blamed on the bike.      
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I have owned several Harleys, and never had one to headshake.
I had a Suzuki GS1100 that would headshake if I let the rear tire get wore down too much.
It would not even twitch for the first 50% of tire life, then would get progressively worse as the tire wore down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never had any handling problems with my FXDS, or my SV650, or my Guzzis. Had a shake in my CB550 cured by new steering head bearings, and loose handling in my GL1000 caused by a bad tire.

No, to get a real taste of fear, I had to go to  four wheels. Nothing like an XJ violently trying to rip the steering wheel out of your hands at 80 mph.  Cherokee death wobble
View Quote
Happened in my JK a few times, especially when the steering stabilizer broke. Known issue in the 07s...

Nothing like hitting the speed limit and having your short wheel-based vehicle tell you "I'm gonna go in a direction you're not expecting and I'm not going to tell you when and there's not a damn thing you can do about it...I hope you're belted in!"

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm sure he's just redeeming his coupon from his " metric monthly " digest.

Harley haters, cooler haters, mug haters, truck brand haters, music haters........

So much fucking hate, they should start a forum called " Yep, I hate it "

I laugh my ass off at the amount of disdain these folks have.
View Quote
There's a dating app for that called Haters.  It lets you find people who hate the same thing you do
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a Honda ST1300 and so far haven't experienced any issues.  I've ridden 2 up with a soft tail bag and no issues, I've also had it up over 120mph with no issues.  I've seen youtube vids of them up around 150 with no wobble.  it takes a weird set of circumstances to come together to cause it but it can happen for sure.  I'm always conscious of what the bike is doing as well as road conditions to make sure I avoid the issue.  

Now I understand that one way to correct for the wobble is when it happens, to try to lay forward, chest to tank, and this will redistribute the weight and smooth it out.  this is from an old video someone posted on advrider of a study that was being done on it many years ago.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What a bunch of fucking faggots.  Got scared and didn't even bother checking on the rider that they filmed going down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wouldn't either don't ride like a dick and try to pass people on blind curves and you won't end up at the bottom of a drop off.

#darwin.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What's the deal with the dingleberries on the bottom of the frame?
View Quote
Gremlin bells.
Gateway drug to get back whips.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Pipes mustn't have been loud enough.
View Quote
If that's the one that I'm remembering correctly, one of the photographers up there warned that Harley guy about the incoming tractor trailer and he ignored him and went on to crash into it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I wouldn't either don't ride like a dick and try to pass people on blind curves and you won't end up at the bottom of a drop off.

#darwin.
View Quote
While the guy was a moron for passing on a double yellow, it's pretty fucked up to not check on someone at a wreck, especially solely because you're scared.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think the real problem in that video is what kind of cunt drives a van on Tail of the Dragon?
View Quote
It is a US highway in a remote area.  Sometimes people need to get where the road goes...

And the only vehicles I ever got stuck behind on the dragon were Harleys.  Even in my cclb pickup truck, the made me ragey with their slowness.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Is that the road where the dickhead was too busy waving at another dickhead with a camera and plowed into a new 'vette?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

While the guy was a moron for passing on a double yellow, it's pretty fucked up to not check on someone at a wreck, especially solely because you're scared.
View Quote
Yeah, sorta, if you're the only guys in the area. Plenty of other guys stopped and what help would these little cheesedicks be, running around with their hands on their heads, repeating, "OMG!OMG!OMG!"?

It's just better they get out of  the way.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top