Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just have to know how to ride it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezf0MkCsFM
View Quote
That is a man who doesn't give a shit if he dies.

He damn near bounced his head off the rocks a few times.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It is a US highway in a remote area.  Sometimes people need to get where the road goes...

And the only vehicles I ever got stuck behind on the dragon were Harleys.  Even in my cclb pickup truck, the made me ragey with their slowness.
View Quote
. It's iconic and popular, but there's better out there anyway. 
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
What in the actual fuck...did Peewee Herman finally get an M/C license?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess people want to identify with something. It's why people wear band t-shirts or sports team hats or Star Trek uniforms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its something I've never understood.  The only Harley Davidson brand Harley Davidson item I own is my bike.  And I'm damn tempted to have someone paint over the name on the tank.
I guess people want to identify with something. It's why people wear band t-shirts or sports team hats or Star Trek uniforms.
Still 25-30k for a Harley is probably is a bit of a bigger step than a cheap star trek uniform or a sport team jersey/hat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Harley hate threads aren't until Thursday
View Quote
Seriously. Get your shit together op
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a nasty head shake once on my Suzuki GS500 when the front fork really needed some work.   A rough patch of road started it and the handlebars started flinging back and forth and I just loosely held on and backed off the gas until it sorted itself out.  

Happy as hell it didn't happy to me in a corner.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think the real problem in that video is what kind of cunt drives a van on Tail of the Dragon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think the real problem in that video is what kind of cunt drives a van on Tail of the Dragon?
LOL, what a stupid thing to say.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That has to be one of the most pathetic sad sack pussies on the planet.

Leaving the scene of an accident because you're afraid of some fat guys on bikes? I hope that man choked himself and never gets laid ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Leaving the scene of an accident because you're afraid of some fat guys on bikes? I hope that man choked himself and never gets laid ever.
Then used the excuse that he couldn't find a spot to pull over. . whatever fairy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why do you think they had duty to stay and assist? Looks like the biker played stupid games and won.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
My nip bikes get death wobbles too, harmonics are a bitch
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why do you think they had duty to stay and assist? Looks like the biker played stupid games and won.
View Quote
Unless someone is getting hurt because they're committing a violent crime, I'd say it is less "duty" and more "human decency."

I guess some folks lack that feature.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

Besides, who's the bigger cunt: the guy passing on a blind curve with a cliff straight ahead of him...or the guy who successfully negotiated the blind curve and stayed on the road?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Why is his wheel pointing the wrong way?  His front wheel should be facing toward the left when making a high speed right turn.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My nip bikes get death wobbles too, harmonics are a bitch
View Quote
Yep. The Kawasaki Police 1000 (CHiPs) bikes were known for that.
Kawasaki settled a few lawsuits for it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Harley hate threads aren't until Thursday
View Quote
This.

Besides, I think there is a perfectly good BMW front fork failure thread to hold us over until then.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.

Besides, I think there is a perfectly good BMW front fork failure thread to hold us over until then.
View Quote
I didn't see that one.  Standard or telelever?

Can we throw some final drive hate in there too?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
30k-mi R-bike stuff?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some people just don't seem to understand that different bikes, guns, cars...serve different purposes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they're not sport bikes?   You don't ride them at 180+ and attack corners like a rice grinder.
Some people just don't seem to understand that different bikes, guns, cars...serve different purposes.
No we understand, but also understand that Harley's are good at anything. Big, heavy, slow, and outdated. They are for looks and living a certain lifestyle.

Sport bikes are about performance.
If you want a touring bike then a goldwing or BMW k bike is a much better option. The problem is Harley riders like to deny the fact about why they really buy Harley's. But we know.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Telelever. There have been a couple of separations and supposedly there is a recall. I just happen to have one of the bikes in the recall and am not worried but will be pleased to have it addressed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Telelever.  Basically ... the front falls off.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I know that I'm wasting key strokes and bandwidth by even mentioning this, but here's some of the physics behind this.

https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitstream/10044/1/4326/1/mbs_2004.pdf

And now back to your regularly scheduled purse fight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#25]
My Honda commuter bike which detailed for around 8 is at 7k miles and running like a champ

Never was interested in the big chrome air cooled engine and potato potato potato engine sounds
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know that I'm wasting key strokes and bandwidth by even mentioning this, but here's some of the physics behind this.

https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitstream/10044/1/4326/1/mbs_2004.pdf

And now back to your regularly scheduled purse fight.
View Quote
Holy shit, that's awesome.  Gonna take a couple hours to read, and months to understand.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What's the deal with the dingleberries on the bottom of the frame?
View Quote
Harmonic balancers,
They mitigate death wobble
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I remember reading a story a few years back of a guy getting tossed off of his bike by the death wobble. Said the thing sorted itself out just fine after pitching the rider and was found quite a distance down the road (like a mile). Makes you wonder how much the rider impacts the dynamics of it. I've always heard to let go of the bars and resist the urge to clamp up on the bike.

I've only experienced significant wobble once and it sorted itself out before I had a chance to think about doing anything about it. Still very unnerving. That was a Ducati.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The real only true way to stop head shake, is with a longer wheel base. On dirt bikes Honda CR's and then their CRF's have this issue, it's from to steep a head angle, since redoing the head angle is pretty much out, you can get away by lengthiness the wheel base by moving rear axle all the way out, and adding a steering stabilizer. Honda has pretty much alway had this problem, but to their credit they designed them to turn, and the shorter wheel base makes them cut like a laser. I would bet the same reason Harley does it, to increase low speed maneuverability? Let's face it, Harley's are in all aspects thought of as cruisers and not speed or handling bikes.
View Quote
I really doubt Harleys have a steep enough head angle to cause head shake.....not have I ever consider a Harley a short wheelbase!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why is his wheel pointing the wrong way?  His front wheel should be facing toward the left when making a high speed right turn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Because he doesn't know how to ride (countersteer).

I've heard many times how strong you have to be to corner a Harley.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No we understand, but also understand that Harley's are good at anything. Big, heavy, slow, and outdated. They are for looks and living a certain lifestyle.

Sport bikes are about performance.
If you want a touring bike then a goldwing or BMW k bike is a much better option. The problem is Harley riders like to deny the fact about why they really buy Harley's. But we know.
View Quote
The same reason why some folks like the unreliable, low capacity, heavy 1911.

History of style.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because he doesn't know how to ride (countersteer).

I've heard many times how strong you have to be to corner a Harley.
View Quote

The issue here was not a lack of counter steering. But I think from the angle, current location and sparks we can deduce he's had a decision failure somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The issue here was not a lack of counter steering. But I think from the angle, current location and sparks we can deduce he's had a decision failure somewhere.
View Quote
If you ride the Twisties with a cruiser, you're eventually going to find out how far you can lean and what drags first.  On a properly designed bike, it'll be the footpegs and they'll give so you don't wipe out.  I found out on dyna wide glide, it's the mufflers.  Fortunately I was only turning someahat slowly onto a highway onramp at the time.  I also found out on a shadow 1100, it was the floorboards, and they don't give as much as the suspension squishes and the frame flexes.  I almost wound up like the guy in the picture, but I was able to scrub enough speed to avoid getting hit or laucnhing off a cliff... Barely.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I really doubt Harleys have a steep enough head angle to cause head shake.....not have I ever consider a Harley a short wheelbase!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The real only true way to stop head shake, is with a longer wheel base. On dirt bikes Honda CR's and then their CRF's have this issue, it's from to steep a head angle, since redoing the head angle is pretty much out, you can get away by lengthiness the wheel base by moving rear axle all the way out, and adding a steering stabilizer. Honda has pretty much alway had this problem, but to their credit they designed them to turn, and the shorter wheel base makes them cut like a laser. I would bet the same reason Harley does it, to increase low speed maneuverability? Let's face it, Harley's are in all aspects thought of as cruisers and not speed or handling bikes.
Your missing the point, if the head angle is to steep and the wheel base is to short, it will cause head shake. You have to factor bike weight, tire, wheel size, intended load as well as intended use. Just because the bike is long doesn't mean it's right, there are conscessions made all the time, Thoe one that is most likely true here, its making it a tad shorter than optimal is for the simple fact to keep its slow speed maneuverability as well as ride comfort. The weight on a Harley and allot of bikes of that style is more towards the rear which makes for a light front end, plus keeping the front lighter aids in wheeling them around. The trade off is high speed wobble, but as it's considered a slow speed cruiser, the trade of is worth it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Your missing the point, if the head angle is to steep and the wheel base is to short, it will cause head shake. You have to factor bike weight, tire, wheel size, intended load as well as intended use. Just because the bike is long doesn't mean it's right, there are conscessions made all the time, Thoe one that is most likely true here, its making it a tad shorter than optimal is for the simple fact to keep its slow speed maneuverability as well as ride comfort. The weight on a Harley and allot of bikes of that style is more towards the rear which makes for a light front end, plus keeping the front lighter aids in wheeling them around. The trade off is high speed wobble, but as it's considered a slow speed cruiser, the trade of is worth it.
View Quote
And when the combined weight of the rider, his 'ol lady, and a ton of shit strapped to the sissy-bar is factored in, a big cruiser becomes a handful in the twisties. Especially if the rider has minimal skills in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I see you didn't address the pussies taking the film and their scared-ass comments.

Let me guess, you run away from tubby men on Harleys, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looked like there was plenty of help ambling around the scene. Either that or they were all looking for hamburgers.
I see you didn't address the pussies taking the film and their scared-ass comments.

Angry biker talking shit about people who had nothing to do with the idiot biker that drove himself off a cliff wonders why normal people in cars dont stop for idiot macho morons that dress like Hells Angels rejects. Ironic.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well yeah, they can't run as long as I can.......

Not everyone can decipher the difference between a harley rider and a biker gang member.

There are some harley riders who look close enough to biker gang members that soccer mom and uptight corporate dad can't tell which is which.

If I can't tell, I'm not going to guess they aren't biker gang members.......risk reduction means assuming the worst.....not hoping for the best.  I'm not commenting on any particular video....
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Angry biker talking shit about people who had nothing to do with the idiot biker that drove himself off a cliff wonders why normal people in cars dont stop for idiot macho morons that dress like Hells Angels rejects. Ironic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looked like there was plenty of help ambling around the scene. Either that or they were all looking for hamburgers.

I definitely would've stopped to make sure he was ok then hand the responding officer the video of the illegal pass and let him get the driving award he deserves.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you ride the Twisties with a cruiser, you're eventually going to find out how far you can lean and what drags first.  On a properly designed bike, it'll be the footpegs and they'll give so you don't wipe out.  I found out on dyna wide glide, it's the mufflers.  Fortunately I was only turning someahat slowly onto a highway onramp at the time.  I also found out on a shadow 1100, it was the floorboards, and they don't give as much as the suspension squishes and the frame flexes.  I almost wound up like the guy in the picture, but I was able to scrub enough speed to avoid getting hit or laucnhing off a cliff... Barely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW it's not just cruisers - I kknow of a Super Tenere that caught a center stand or skid plate and pirouetted on the Dragon. Used to be a vid out there, it's was instructional but I couldn't find it in a brief perusal. I've seen others as all. Mostly loaded, with aftermarket stuff. But very few people ride their bike to limits, and those limits change. When they push - new riding group, new environment, new atttitude - they push outside their experience and performance envelope and bad things happen. 

Mostly and normally due to a series of decision failures, but most people don't have the experimental set to even realize they are approaching. Fewer still have any practical time pushing in a controlled environment (say at the track) and virtually no one seeks instruction or a qualified coach (not a buddy that's been riding 20 years). It's  hard to learn, it's a lot more painful to learn through spontaneous failure. I've been lucky there. 

Spend some money get some training it may help save someone's  ass - likely the rider. But virtually nobody will. Hell clear from this thread some have no clear understanding of the issue.

Then again you can do everything  right...and still buy it, or a small piece. As I said above, very difficult to replicate wobble/slappers so it's almost impossible to practice recoveries. Who the hell would want to. But there's actions prior to failure that will help you if it does. I'm looking to move the percentages in my direction. 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#41]
I had to tighten the steering head bearings to adjust the "fall away" on my Dyna at around 5k to tighten up the high speed shimmy.  And along with the swingarm alignment there is a chassis alignment bolt up in the middle of the bike.  

Get those right and mine rides like it's on a rail.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The fucking Goldwing and Harley groups would always be the ones holding up Dragon traffic doing 5mph along the whole thing. Even the non sports cars would be going along ok.
View Quote
I love driving the dragon in my Nissan Titan. I've kept up with a BMW one time.

Good place to go to wear your tires out before you replace them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just have to know how to ride it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezf0MkCsFM
View Quote
That guy is a pretty good rider and riding his Harley right at the edge.  That said, I notice that the sportbike guy filming him is kind of loafing along and keeping up with him easily.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, i'm not missing the point.  Yours just isn't (fully) correct!

First off,  TRAIL (lack of) not rake is most responsible for headshake.  Trail takes into account rake, fork length, tire diameter, etc etc.   Wheelbase has a little impact, sure.  Put 0 Trailon a suspension and you'll have headshake no matter what your wheelbase is!  The same is not true of a short wheelbase.  Perfect example is my SV650 (track bike),  shorter forks and a taller shock resulted in occasional headshake on hard acceleration.  I didn't touch my wheel base nor the rake, but my trail decreased noticeably!
In your dirtbike example of moving the axle back is shifting the CG and putting more weight to the front wheel.
In general, an aggressive handling bike is going to have some headshake under acceleration.  That is why most modern sportbikes come factory with a steering damper.

Anyways, that all is highspeed headshake... usually on hard acceleration causing the front wheel to unweight.  Lots of the Harley complaints I've seen are as low as 35mph... which is too slow for trail or wheelbase to matter
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't have a head shake problem with my ST1300.  However, there is a heavily grooved ramp at the west end of the US35 Xenia bypass that causes some instability.  The tires will follow the grooves somewhat and the faster you go on the ramp the more the bike will shimmy.  The speed limit is 65, 45 is the recommended speed around the curve, 70 seems to be a sweet spot for fun.  The OSP often sits out of sight around the curve so any faster is not advisable.  Maintain throttle, hold the bars loosely and let the bike have its head.  I've had cars following me fairly closely and when the bike starts wobbling the cars start backing off especially when I'm leaned a bit in the curve.  Best thing I've seen there was a cruiser of some sort riding on the berm at maybe 30 MPH in order to stay off the grooves as I sailed by giving him the motorcycle bro wave.  I suppose if you did something really ham handed you could induce a tank slapper there.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#46]
It's finally Thursday!

Are we keeping this one going or will there be a new one started.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Really serves as a testament to their target demographic. I mean, your money and all, but why?
View Quote

So edgy OP. Are you having a bad day? Is your Affliction shirt not tight enough?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top