User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My grandfather said that the M2 and the 30 round mags jammed on them a fair amount in Korea. He gave up on the M2.

He only used the M1 carbine if they were doing something that needed people to be quiet. He normally carried an M1 Garand.
No complaints about reliability with those two.

Said the BAR was better than everything that wasnt belt fed though.
View Quote

The jamming issue with the M2 had to do with the first ones not having chrome chambers and the extreme cold in the winter which the military corrected later on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Would have replaced all SMGs, handguns and such. Awesome gun with lots of firepower.
View Quote

not high powered rifle power though. I've shot several and they do get to business. but not a game changer by any means. My grandfather who had one and fought in 3 wars called them Ammo Wasters.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They have that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
neck it down to a .224 dia projo and maybe stretch the service life of the weapon system is about all.
They have that.

Owning both, I would grab the Mini before the M1 carbine.

I know the thread is about the M2, but since I don't have an M2 or an AC556, I can compare the semiauto versions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Carbine was to be a compromise between the pistol and rifle for certain troops. From what I have read, the M1 Carbine was originally called out to be select-fire.

Apparently, that didn't happen until a later date.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The M2 Carbine even with its select fire capability was never intended to be a battle rifle.  

Of course it wasn't, yet neither was the M16. There is a reason why no one uses battle rifles for main line these days.

The Carbine was to be a compromise between the pistol and rifle for certain troops. From what I have read, the M1 Carbine was originally called out to be select-fire.

Apparently, that didn't happen until a later date.

Actually, no, it was not originally "called out" to be select fire.  It was originally designed to replace the 1911 for REMFs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm going with "yes". There would be situations where the limited range would be an issue, but the other 90% of the time it would be workable. Note that the Russians did a pretty good job with PPsh-41.
View Quote

Sure, if you are sending in human suicide waves with half of them unarmed.

Also, far more were issued Mosin Nagants that PPshs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I thought the Marines were originally issued '03s and '03-A3s and got Garands later in the war.
I also doubt they would bury any functioning rifle.
I do remember reading that there was initially some resistance to changing from a bolt rifle to a new semi-auto, but they got over that resistance quickly when they saw what it could do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was never intended to replace the Garand.  It was more for the folks who would normally be armed with a M1911a1.  

The USA never intended to field repeaters during the Civil War, either.

My understanding is that the USMC essentially went to the carbine in the later stage of WW2 in PTO. My dad's friend Bud recalled when they replaced their Garands with carbines, and he said they buried the Garands on the island.

I think carbine would be fine in both the PTO and most of ETO. North Africa and Italy are places where I think the Garand might be a better choice, but even so with BARs and sniper rifles in the mix, the carbine would probably do.

I thought the Marines were originally issued '03s and '03-A3s and got Garands later in the war.
I also doubt they would bury any functioning rifle.
I do remember reading that there was initially some resistance to changing from a bolt rifle to a new semi-auto, but they got over that resistance quickly when they saw what it could do.

Agreed.

They invaded Guadalcanal with '03s and later got Garands.  While some Marines had M1 Carbines and some M2s as well, the Garand remained their standard issue (once they started using it) through Korea and into the '50s.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I want to believe that that photo was staged for the camera, perhaps by a REMF.

I served with Combat vets from that era, and I seriously doubt they would have stepped foot outside the wire with all that bling.

They damn sure wouldn't let ME go out like that, even for training. They woulda been all up in the young privates ass.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I want to believe that that photo was staged for the camera, perhaps by a REMF.

I served with Combat vets from that era, and I seriously doubt they would have stepped foot outside the wire with all that bling.

They damn sure wouldn't let ME go out like that, even for training. They woulda been all up in the young privates ass.....

hold on.
My grandfather was an Advisor during the early days of that conflict and I remember his saying something that due to international limitations of advisors they were only able to carry small firearms, like collapsible stocked M1's, Grease guns and pistols. I remember him talking about those guns.

Full Size rifles were a no-go. it was my understanding and I could be wrong that this was one of the reasons for the Commando to be made and delivered by Colt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine spent 3 combat tours in VN. First one was advisor to ARVN units. He carried the M2 carbine exclusively that tour (1963-64). He says it is an excellent jungle weapon and was ideal for the much smaller ARVN soldiers. He told me it is plenty lethal inside 150 yards, but it was only reliable in FA fire when using 15 rd. magazines. He said even the best USGI 30 rd. mags were regarded with suspicion. On the other hand, he said some ARVN's were armed with M1 carbines, and as long as the 30 rd. mag was not damaged, the semi-auto M1's were OK using the 30 rounders. It is his opinion that the USGI 30 rd. mag springs were not strong enough to allow consistent feeding when fired full auto.
View Quote

I have been told that the 15 versus 30 round mag thing boiled down to the proper mag catch.

That said, I mainly use 15 round mags in my 2 M1s because they never fail and the the 30 rounders are iffy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Get both:

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sure you aren't thinking of an AK?

It seems that a lot of ARVN troops had M1 Carbines, so why would that draw friendly fire?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carried a captured one my buddy killed a VC to get....gave it up and went back to the M-16 due to drawing friendly fire from an M-60

It seems that a lot of ARVN troops had M1 Carbines, so why would that draw friendly fire?

Early on the US Government unwittingly armed the VC with thousands of M1Carbines and millions of rounds of ammunition under the idea of "arming the peasants".  The peasants would turn around and hand over the carbines to the VC.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
no, just a high powered pistol round, there is no hiding from the '06 round.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine spent 3 combat tours in VN. First one was advisor to ARVN units. He carried the M2 carbine exclusively that tour (1963-64). He says it is an excellent jungle weapon and was ideal for the much smaller ARVN soldiers. He told me it is plenty lethal inside 150 yards, but it was only reliable in FA fire when using 15 rd. magazines. He said even the best USGI 30 rd. mags were regarded with suspicion. On the other hand, he said some ARVN's were armed with M1 carbines, and as long as the 30 rd. mag was not damaged, the semi-auto M1's were OK using the 30 rounders. It is his opinion that the USGI 30 rd. mag springs were not strong enough to allow consistent feeding when fired full auto.
View Quote

Very possible,,,, however,,, this has not been my experience over a period of years,
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]

I am going from memory here, so go easy on me.
I think I remember that the 30 round mags were made for the M2 carbines. The problems came from using them in M1 carbines. The M1 mag latch wasn't strong enough to hold the heavier 30 round mags and they would drop free.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was never intended to replace the Garand.  It was more for the folks who would normally be armed with a M1911a1.  
View Quote

Because even way back then, they knew that the 1911 was an outdated POS.

j/k...that post left the door wide open.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, well, you did notice it didn't come in 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#16]
NO!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:09:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Early on the US Government unwittingly armed the VC with thousands of M1Carbines and millions of rounds of ammunition under the idea of "arming the peasants".  The peasants would turn around and hand over the carbines to the VC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carried a captured one my buddy killed a VC to get....gave it up and went back to the M-16 due to drawing friendly fire from an M-60

French also used the M1 Carbine pretty widely.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top