Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a scout rifle freak. an AR is not a scout. A forward mounted scope dosent make it a scout. It's a set of parameters. thats why the Steyr is pricey, thats why P scouts and custom scouts are expensive. An AR15 is a great, amazing and versatile rifle..........so is a scout...but for different reasons
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
If it works for you, cool.

It fails the concept of the original scout rifle on many different levels however.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, having forward mounted optics on anything that is not charged with a stripper clip seems pointless. I have a gunsmith friend who could really beat this idea into the ground and has in conversation with me several times. He was contracted to build a bunch of them over the years and has really gotten to dislike them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the firedot reticle and 1.6-4.8 zoom of the scope address much of the concerns.  The balance point is just in fromt of the mag well.

So front heavy like you want a rifle to be?

You do realize the whole reason for the LER scope was to be able to reload a bolt action rifle easily from the top singly or via stripper clip don't you?

Yeah, having forward mounted optics on anything that is not charged with a stripper clip seems pointless. I have a gunsmith friend who could really beat this idea into the ground and has in conversation with me several times. He was contracted to build a bunch of them over the years and has really gotten to dislike them.

That's really the worst part of Cooper's scout rifle concept and unfortunately the one most people associate with it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
That's not how any of this works OP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I like forward mounted LER scopes. It's certainly not for everybody though. If you look at the remington 600 that Cooper was very taken with and really inspired him. it originally had a conventionally mounted scope. I agrre that i think we've let the forward mounted scope become the "big feature" to make it a scout. IIRC Coopers scout II had ghost rings as the sighting system. and he was quite pleased with it. he wrote several times that a forward mounted scope does not make it a scout. Like othe posters said. the forward LER scope was put there for easy access to the action.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
wtf is this real life?

1-Eye relief? Scopes aren't made to have a foot of eye relief

2-Balance? The weight needs to be above and behind the mag-well to balance the rifle.  

3-Hand-guard is a horrible spot to put a scope mount since it can flex small amounts.

4-Why? Please explain why anyone would want to do this with a scope??
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you were a fan of Col Coopers scout rifle, you'd have a freaking clue of what it is and why.

As it is, your smearing your feces on a cake because frosting is brown too.
View Quote

I really tried not to laugh.  But the more I tried not to, the more coffee shot out of my nose.

I am so glad I'm alone at work right now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Can the scout rifle concept evolve?

An 18" barreled AR-10 with a 1-6 or a TA-11 is a very useful rifle. Weight and bulk are an issue, but I think the concept needs to evolve as rifle technology has.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuggitit
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

An 18" barreled AR-10 with a 1-6 or a TA-11 is a very useful rifle. Weight and bulk are an issue, but I think the concept needs to evolve as rifle technology has.

View Quote

This makes sense.

Can someone help a 13er out and explain why Col. Cooper was pro-bolt or anti-semi in his Scout Rifle concept?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#14]
"Survival" sling....
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#15]
a 1x4 / 1x8 setup like normal does the same thing..

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Everything about your post is retarded.
View Quote

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This makes sense.

Can someone help a 13er out and explain why Col. Cooper was pro-bolt or anti-semi in his Scout Rifle concept?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This makes sense.

IIRC as it's been a while since I read up on the Scout concept, it was more to do with weight. I don't think there were any .308 semi-autos in that weight class at the time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This makes sense.

There were several conferences chaired by cooper to hash out the concept. Semi was discussed, but at the time there wasn't a semi auto that they could reach consensus on. Weight was the biggest factor.

That AR10 with 18 inch barrel sounds sweet though
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
wtf is this real life?

1-Eye relief? Scopes aren't made to have a foot of eye relief some scopes are

2-Balance? The weight needs to be above and behind the mag-well to balance the rifle.  

3-Hand-guard is a horrible spot to put a scope mount since it can flex small amounts.

4-Why? Please explain why anyone would want to do this with a scope?? for some this is faster to shoot with
View Quote

not my cup of tea, but you were incorrect with some of your points....
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There were several conferences chaired by cooper to hash out the concept. Semi was discussed, but at the time there wasn't a semi auto that they could reach consensus on. Weight was the biggest factor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This makes sense.

Yeah, a free floated M&P10 with the 18" thin profile barrel is 8 lbs unloaded without an optic.  Wiki lists an unloaded M-16 at 7.18 lbs.  Ruger's website lists their 18" .308 Gunsite Scout at 7.3 lbs with no glass.  

I'd gladly carry an additional 3/4 of a pound to gain semi-auto capability, the better ergos, and the reduced recoil of a .308 AR.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, a free floated M&P10 with the 18" thin profile barrel is 8 lbs unloaded without an optic.  Wiki lists an unloaded M-16 at 7.18 lbs.  Ruger's website lists their 18" .308 Gunsite Scout at 7.3 lbs with no glass.  

I'd gladly carry an additional 3/4 of a pound to gain semi-auto capability, the better ergos, and the reduced recoil of a .308 AR.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This makes sense.

AR10s have never been by cup of tea for some reason. Can't really explain why. I run a steyr scout that's my favorite rifle I've also got the GSR. Fully kitted out it doesn't make ideal weight...I still love it.

That AR10 would be a phenomenal dense cover fast shooting rifle. I think I could mess with AR10 to those specs

The scout always had a huge appeal to me because of how light and handy it is. Lightness, compactness, handiness

Probably the reason the AR15 is really the only semi auto long gun I really like
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If it works for you, cool.

It fails the concept of the original scout rifle on many different levels however.
View Quote

This is where I'm at. If it floats your boat, great, but don't go calling it a Scout rifle. Because Col. Cooper was not the biggest fan of 5.56mm as a military caliber and he absolutely detested the M16 in general. Called it the "Rancid Sow's Ear" in fact.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I may have found a new avatar
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]
So you guys don't like it then?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think I may have found a new avatar
View Quote

I dunno man, yours is pretty sweet...
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy shit

OP, LER scope on an AR is dildos..... on a bolt gun, it works OK however, it really isn't that great overall. And that's coming from a guy who enjoys dicking around with "scout(ish) rifles"
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Survival" sling....
View Quote

550 cord bracelet for your gun?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#29]
OPs post is dumb and he should feel bad.

But, the linked thread was interesting for this post alone:

TCBA_Joe:
I built an MP5 inspired AR, so I get it.
View Quote

Anyone else curious about seeing this?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#30]
The orientation of the scope doesn't make it a scout rifle.
IMO you have too much tacti-operator stuff on there. Ditch the offset sights, flash light and VFG. A scout rifle is a fancy name for a bush gun. You have way too much bolt on stuff, it looks like your rifle is having an identity crisis.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
AR10s have never been by cup of tea for some reason. Can't really explain why. I run a steyr scout that's my favorite rifle I've also got the GSR. Fully kitted out it doesn't make ideal weight...I still love it.

That AR10 would be a phenomenal dense cover fast shooting rifle. I think I could mess with AR10 to those specs

The scout always had a huge appeal to me because of how light and handy it is. Lightness, compactness, handiness

Probably the reason the AR15 is really the only semi auto long gun I really like
View Quote

I bought a M&P10 just because I wanted a non-5.56 AR, it was new, and I had to have it because that deployment money was burning a hole in my pocket.  I have been struggling to find a purpose or concept for the gun aside from being a .308 AR to shoot deer with.  

the .308 Battle Rifle concept is obsolete but a AR Scout Rifle seems appealing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I bought a M&P10 just because I wanted a non-5.56 AR, it was new, and I had to have it because that deployment money was burning a hole in my pocket.  I have been struggling to find a purpose or concept for the gun aside from being a .308 AR to shoot deer with.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is mine, simple, strait forward, and it just plain works

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Another episode of: "When Threads go Horribly, Horribly Wrong."

Everything has already been said.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#34]
What the fuck is the point of a "scout" rifle anyway?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Just get an AR10ish gun and put a 1-4 on it and call it good enough

fast enough

light enough

in the right cartridge

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mauser348/P3270058_zps757959d9.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, OP will be back in a couple more years for post #3 to explain this shit?

fast enough

light enough

in the right cartridge

I was with you right up until I saw the funky muzzle device

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, OP will be back in a couple more years for post #3 to explain this shit?

fast enough
light enough
in the right cartridge

Its a flash nozzle
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey guys, I'm thinking about making a hi-point rifle a scout rifle. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cooper wanted a really light rifle to hunt with. He looked at the landscape of the time and felt the technology of a hunting rifle could be made better.

We get wrapped up on it as a combat rifle. It's supposed to be just a light handy .308. Can an AR10 be made to that? Yes, especially nowadays
Not a lot of people care for them. To get one to spec is very expensive.

I just really them because I think they're cool and handy. Are there guns that can do exactly the same thing and probably better? Yes
I like them, but I dont dog anybody that doesn't care for them
There's a core of enthusiasts that love them. And ruger really brought them back to the forefront with GSR

I have them because they're 50 state legal
Being military I might PCS to drum or California
And I still want a light carbine I can use to do many things...I don't need a real specialty gun
So a steyr scout or ruger makes sense for me, plus I'm more of a pistol guy anyway, but like having a light rifle around
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I'm thinking about making a hi-point rifle a scout rifle. Thoughts?
View Quote

Put a forward scope on and go about your business....apparently that's the whole concept
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

the .308 Battle Rifle concept is obsolete
View Quote

You shut your whore mouth.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Cooper wanted a really light rifle to hunt with. He looked at the landscape of the time and felt the technology of a hunting rifle could be made better.

We get wrapped up on it as a combat rifle. It's supposed to be just a light handy .308. Can an AR10 be made to that? Yes, especially nowadays

I just really them because I think they're cool and handy. Are there guns that can do exactly the same thing and probably better? Yes
There's a core of enthusiasts that love them. And ruger really brought them back to the forefront with GSR

And I still want a light carbine I can use to do many things...I don't need a real specialty gun
So a steyr scout or ruger makes sense for me, plus I'm more of a pistol guy anyway, but like having a light rifle around
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want a light rifle to hunt with, lose the 10 round magazine requirement.

I think a 30-30 is a better gun for those purposes.

Maybe 50 years ago.

This seems like the steam punk of rifles.  lets take a hot chick and throw on goggles, a spray painted nerf gun and glue some gears on her nipples.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#44]
what the hell is the point of that?

Also

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the morning laughs everyone!  GD does not disappoint!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#46]
This is some expert-level retardation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
lets take a hot chick and throw on goggles, a spray painted nerf gun and glue some gears on her nipples.
View Quote

Go on.....
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's not as cool as it sounds. It was a side-charging 9mm AR that used Mp5 mags on a Cav-Arms lower. Over time as I built it, it less and less resembled what I wanted it to (MP5A3). Should have gotten an MP5 lone instead.

I ended up selling it. The point of the post was "I built something pointless because I could. In the end it wasn't what I was trying to get it to be".
View Quote

Sounded like a neat idea. It's too bad it didn't turn out like you wanted.

I'm thinking something similar could be done much better now
Troy PDW stock
9mm lower
Hk style sights
Mod/custom handguard

Probably be cheaper to get an MPX, but it could be a fun build.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As I posted in the archived thread, "I built one with a Leupold 2.5 IER mounted forward on a ARMS extended rail. No, it didn't meet Cooper's definition. Yes, my wife loved it as her first deer rifle...light, handy, enough magnification for the Wisconsin woods, eye relief was non-critical. I've since sold it to a friend, who gave it to his niece for HER first deer rifle. I don't see a need to sneer at the concept. It worked very well."

Now I'd build it in 6.8 instead of .223, but 6.8 didn't exist then.
View Quote

my thought too.  6.8 would be a far superior chambering to the concept.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe 50 years ago.

This seems like the steam punk of rifles.  lets take a hot chick and throw on goggles, a spray painted nerf gun and glue some gears on her nipples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe 50 years ago.

I don't think he would have cared for the GSR 10 round magazines. I run 3s or 5s. The GSR is good rifle. But it's not true to concept. they added some features for the tactical rifle market honestly though  I prefer my steyr with th 5 round mags. the GSR has created a ton of misunderstanding of the gun in order to gain a more mainstream appeal. It's never been a mainstream gun because lots of shooters and hunters just dont have much use for the concept.

cant argue with you on the 30/30. a nice winchester 94 or marlin is still a great gun for many things. The model 94 in 30/30 was the first gun I ever fired, and I'm sure thats the case for most of us on the site. A true American Classic
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top