Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think it's a Corpsman field medical bag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess this is one way to carry it all. Not sure what the chest rig is. Maybe a claymore mine bag or a med kit or gas mask bag?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107472/1274F47A-66AB-40DD-951E-CE7C0EDEE370-2180441.jpg

That does look like the combat lifesaver bag I got from the medics in Iraq in '04. I still have it. Just replaced the IV stuff years ago to put more in for some more non-trauma stuff and refresh the big trauma components.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Doubt you could verify membership in that unit.
View Quote

I can....would have to get his DD214 and I want to save that as a last resort.  

This guy claims he was sent to jungle training right after bootcamp with the SAS and then to sniper school and then to MACV-SOG.  36 months in country.

Seems a bit far fetched to me but I know stranger things have happened.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I served all my time as a low speed high drag NG grunt in the 80's I was privileged to have had a  platoon sgt who was MACV-SOG
I would have followed that man through the gates of hell without a second thought.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That does look like the combat lifesaver bag I got from the medics in Iraq in '04. I still have it. Just replaced the IV stuff years ago to put more in for some more non-trauma stuff and refresh the big trauma components.
View Quote

Yes, corpsman med bag.

Claymore bags were good for carrying extra gear in the 782 days
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess this is one way to carry it all. Not sure what the chest rig is. Maybe a claymore mine bag or a med kit or gas mask bag?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107472/1274F47A-66AB-40DD-951E-CE7C0EDEE370-2180441.jpg

That looks bigger than the one I carried. Mine didn't have all the compartments. I wasn't in Vietnam where they actually used their stuff all the time. In Korea not much happened and thankfully I didn't need the glass plasma bottle because that shit froze in the first hour along with your canteen water. Morphine stayed next to my body.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember reading a book a long time ago. The guy said he carried 20-20rnd magazines in bandoleers and canteen pouches. Also stuffed the canteen pouches with grenades. He used a ALICE pack frame with no pack with canteens and more ammo, batteries for radio on that. Food was minimal.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I found for LRRP field rations. I suppose SOG guys could use but I know I’d rather not haul this stuff around but rather use what thru hikers on the AT and PCT use today.

LRP Rations
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]

MACV-SOG Team Leader John "Tilt" Meyer: Ep. 61
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It hasn't been exaggerated in the least. This is all well documented. Spend some time doing some research on what SOG did, it's incredible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering guys wouldn't even carry that rolling into a deliberate assault... I'm guessing a fair amount of that is exaggerated given the years. That load out would make moving fast and quietly difficult... Which was sort of the point of the RT teams.
It hasn't been exaggerated in the least. This is all well documented. Spend some time doing some research on what SOG did, it's incredible.
At times they moved extremely slow
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In the books referenced in this thread, they actually have photos of the gear lay-outs. And, yeah they did. Even line units back then carried a lot more ammo than we would consider normal now. And from my personal experience over 4 tours, I’d say they knew what they were doing.

Really it’s not all that far fetched. The standard 7 mag load out is bullshit, and I didn’t go out without at least 10. My last 2 tours(Iraq 2008, Afghanistan ‘10) if I knew we were going somewhere with the potential for real trouble I carried 24 mags (2-40 rd on my carbine, 8 30s & a 40 on my gear, a bandolier with 6 more 30s, and another bandolier with 7 20s). Granted, I was a squad leader and I knew both of the 249s in my squad would actually run mags like they were supposed to. And I figured that I could keep us fighting longer if we had to. I had my people carry extra as well.

Yeah I was in the minority with this. But after I left, my unit got into some heavier fighting. One of my guys told me later that after all that, he understood exactly why I did what I did and I  trained them to do the same. And most of the other guys I knew, who either had several tours or at least one bad one, tended to have the same mindset I did about this. There just weren’t that many of us, relatively speaking.

When you know help is not going to get to you quickly, if at all, you carry a lot of ammo if you’re smart. There were lots of occasions where isolated units got into 4-5 hour firefights-it happened more often than was reported back here. How far do you think 7 mags will get you in something like that?

Yeah all that ammo weight sucks. I can remember days where I was praying to get shot at so I could use some ammo and lighten my load. Newsflash: war is not fun. But the suck factor of carrying all that ammo sucks less then ending up in a flag-draped coffin because you ran out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering guys wouldn't even carry that rolling into a deliberate assault... I'm guessing a fair amount of that is exaggerated given the years. That load out would make moving fast and quietly difficult... Which was sort of the point of the RT teams.

In the books referenced in this thread, they actually have photos of the gear lay-outs. And, yeah they did. Even line units back then carried a lot more ammo than we would consider normal now. And from my personal experience over 4 tours, I’d say they knew what they were doing.

Really it’s not all that far fetched. The standard 7 mag load out is bullshit, and I didn’t go out without at least 10. My last 2 tours(Iraq 2008, Afghanistan ‘10) if I knew we were going somewhere with the potential for real trouble I carried 24 mags (2-40 rd on my carbine, 8 30s & a 40 on my gear, a bandolier with 6 more 30s, and another bandolier with 7 20s). Granted, I was a squad leader and I knew both of the 249s in my squad would actually run mags like they were supposed to. And I figured that I could keep us fighting longer if we had to. I had my people carry extra as well.

Yeah I was in the minority with this. But after I left, my unit got into some heavier fighting. One of my guys told me later that after all that, he understood exactly why I did what I did and I  trained them to do the same. And most of the other guys I knew, who either had several tours or at least one bad one, tended to have the same mindset I did about this. There just weren’t that many of us, relatively speaking.

When you know help is not going to get to you quickly, if at all, you carry a lot of ammo if you’re smart. There were lots of occasions where isolated units got into 4-5 hour firefights-it happened more often than was reported back here. How far do you think 7 mags will get you in something like that?

Yeah all that ammo weight sucks. I can remember days where I was praying to get shot at so I could use some ammo and lighten my load. Newsflash: war is not fun. But the suck factor of carrying all that ammo sucks less then ending up in a flag-draped coffin because you ran out.

What brand of 40rd mags did you use ? I don't think the 40rd pmag was out then.

That is intriguing I have not heard of 40rd mags used in the global war of terror era before.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I asked in the mil forum but I'll ask here again:

Any way to verify if a Marine was assigned to MAC-V SOG?

I know someone making claims that don't add up.
View Quote

Would almost have to be attached to choppers for infil/exfil or gunship.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had two second lieutenant friends in the Ammo Handling Area doing an inventory (2nd Infantry Division DMZ battalion in Korea).  One asked the other if those things (plastic M14 Anti-Personnel Mine) are real, and how sensitive the fuses are.

No kidding, one removes the safety clip, turns the head to arm, and throws it down on to the black top.

Boom.

One walked back into the orderly room peppered and blackened, his fatigues smoking, looking like Wile E. Coyote in a Roadrunner cartoon.  Birth control glasses protected his eyes, but he couldn't hear for a couple of hours.

He eventually made full Colonel.  I don't know what happened to the thrower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toe poppers as well ?
Had two second lieutenant friends in the Ammo Handling Area doing an inventory (2nd Infantry Division DMZ battalion in Korea).  One asked the other if those things (plastic M14 Anti-Personnel Mine) are real, and how sensitive the fuses are.

No kidding, one removes the safety clip, turns the head to arm, and throws it down on to the black top.

Boom.

One walked back into the orderly room peppered and blackened, his fatigues smoking, looking like Wile E. Coyote in a Roadrunner cartoon.  Birth control glasses protected his eyes, but he couldn't hear for a couple of hours.

He eventually made full Colonel.  I don't know what happened to the thrower.

Lol.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unit 1. It's a med bag.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Another good load out listing from 75th Rangers

https://sofrep.com/gear/bob-sampsons-lrrpranger-loadout/
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
For those carrying an M-14 instead of a CAR-15 there’s this too

https://sofrep.com/gear/roger-andersons-lrrp-loadout/
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Jeans, Chucks, and a bunch of ComBloc Eldest Sons magazines. I'd skip around the jungle littering luck-filled hate.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Although not SOG related per se, this was an interesting read

https://irp.fas.org/doddir/army/gta31_01_003.pdf
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those carrying an M-14 instead of a CAR-15 there's this too

https://sofrep.com/gear/roger-andersons-lrrp-loadout/
View Quote

Interesting. I knew the USMC Recon guys used M14s, but I didn't think LRRPs did.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an old style canvas M-3 Med bag.  Might be med stuff in there or other toys.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Wonder how they carried these rounds in Eldest Son?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eldest_Son
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wonder how they carried these rounds in Eldest Son?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eldest_Son
View Quote

crates peppered with bad rounds.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

crates peppered with bad rounds.
View Quote

1/2 empty mags prepped with surprise rounds left on the obj for Charlie's battlefield recovery crews.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

They carried a metric ton of crap.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Question for armory guys, or anyone that may know...

Where are these type of weapons stored between conflicts? Who was it that remembered we had welrods packed in cosmoline from WWII somewhere?

That's always been something lingering in my brain as I read these books, lol.
View Quote

The US maintains national arsenals.   We maintain an enormous amount of unique and specialized weaponry, as well as ammo, that can be employed if needed.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is intriguing I have not heard of 40rd mags used in the global war of terror era before.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never carried 24 mags on me or anything, but I have used 40's in the gun from time to time.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I never carried 24 mags on me or anything, but I have used 40's in the gun from time to time.

https://i.imgur.com/TBScbZ6.jpg
View Quote

@daemon734

Why the 40’s? Counter ambush use?
40’s work great in my AR’s and have read they are excellent for counterambush and counter vehicular ops particularly but would like to hear your use of them. Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@daemon734

Why the 40’s? Counter ambush use?
40’s work great in my AR’s and have read they are excellent for counterambush and counter vehicular ops particularly but would like to hear your use of them. Thank you, sir!
View Quote

I typically threw one in when doing QRF responses, just because it was a fast way to plus up my initial contact mag real quick.  Otherwise they are too long and heavy for me to want to use on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I typically threw one in when doing QRF responses, just because it was a fast way to plus up my initial contact mag real quick.  Otherwise they are too long and heavy for me to want to use on a regular basis.
View Quote

Would Magpul's D60's fill that role or would there be a problem with them?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, never used them so I dont know about reliability.

That picture was taken on a mission where we spent all night trudging thru muddy fields and climbing gravity wells to get to a crash site. A lot of my shit failed that day, the velcro on my knee pads being the first to go, and my radio being among the equipment casualties. My rifle was beat to shit when I got to the objective...optic and laser completely caked in mud and a damn core sample all the way to the chamber in my barrel.  I actually slung the rifle and used my M320 (40mm) to take the compound.

Reliability is pretty huge. That pic was taken days later while we were still stuck there and I had a chance to clean up my gun and make it usable again.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The US maintains national arsenals.   We maintain an enormous amount of unique and specialized weaponry, as well as ammo, that can be employed if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Question for armory guys, or anyone that may know...

Where are these type of weapons stored between conflicts? Who was it that remembered we had welrods packed in cosmoline from WWII somewhere?

That's always been something lingering in my brain as I read these books, lol.

Thanks, I just always wondered who the hell even remembered the welrod at that point. I guess there were probably a bunch of old guys in leadership positions that were involved in some secret squirrel shit during WWII though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

@wyomingnick

I think they were CMMG. I didn’t actually have any magpul mags while I was in, as they were still pretty new and I had a shitload of the GI mags. I still have them somewhere. I don’t know of anyone else personally that used 40rd mags, but I’m sure it probably did happen. I didn’t always have them. My 1st and 2nd tours were still during the AWB-not that it mattered because I couldn’t have gotten away with it then anyway(some people were more concerned about their idea of “dress right dress” than the fact that there was a war on in those early years).

The idea behind them was pretty simple. The ones on my carbine were for initial contact. We’re trained to shoot semi-auto, which on the whole is good. But, no matter how many times you go through the damn battle drills, the guys run empty all at the same damn time(which is obviously bad). So my practice was that I’d shoot burst (not just “spray and pray”, but actual aimed bursts) through my first mag, change to the other 40 on my weapon. and go to semi. By the time I was a few rounds in, everyone would invariably be changing mags. That way, we didn’t get that “deadly silence” because I’d be just starting my that mag. And we’d have that much more suppressive fire at the opposition in the first few seconds.

Then I kept another one in my last ammo pouch for final assault across the objective if we actually did the textbook battle drill 1(squad attack). I figured, if I’m assaulting across an enemy position, I wouldn’t want to run dry inside of 25 meters from someone not actually dead. A larger mag would keep the odds in my favor a little bit there(and hopefully keep Murphy at bay for a little bit).

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@wyomingnick

I think they were CMMG. I didn’t actually have any magpul mags while I was in, as they were still pretty new and I had a shitload of the GI mags. I still have them somewhere. I don’t know of anyone else personally that used 40rd mags, but I’m sure it probably did happen. I didn’t always have them. My 1st and 2nd tours were still during the AWB-not that it mattered because I couldn’t have gotten away with it then anyway(some people were more concerned about their idea of “dress right dress” than the fact that there was a war on in those early years).

The idea behind them was pretty simple. The ones on my carbine were for initial contact. We’re trained to shoot semi-auto, which on the whole is good. But, no matter how many times you go through the damn battle drills, the guys run empty all at the same damn time(which is obviously bad). So my practice was that I’d shoot burst (not just “spray and pray”, but actual aimed bursts) through my first mag, change to the other 40 on my weapon. and go to semi. By the time I was a few rounds in, everyone would invariably be changing mags. That way, we didn’t get that “deadly silence” because I’d be just starting my that mag. And we’d have that much more suppressive fire at the opposition in the first few seconds.

Then I kept another one in my last ammo pouch for final assault across the objective if we actually did the textbook battle drill 1(squad attack). I figured, if I’m assaulting across an enemy position, I wouldn’t want to run dry inside of 25 meters from someone not actually dead. A larger mag would keep the odds in my favor a little bit there(and hopefully keep Murphy at bay for a little bit).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@wyomingnick

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The SOG dudes were badass for sure. However, I'd rather be in a SOG unit, LRRP Team etc in Vietnam than a normal grunt with no noise discipline or anything. Nice fat target for old Uncle Charlie. Pretty much goes the same for today. Sure you are behind enemy lines, but best part is they might think you are there, but they don't really have a good idea of where that is. I remember reading a book were the author pretty much stated as much, and is why he went special operations.
View Quote

Lol, compare the casualty rates between sog teams and regular line units and let us know if you feel the same way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was in from 96-98 as an 11B, which means I never saw action or left CONUS. That being said, I remember our NCOs, some of whom had been in the Gulf War and Mogadishu that if we went to war the 7 mag loadout wasn't happening, we would be carrying as many mags and belts as we possibly could.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 2:37:33 AM EDT
[#38]
OST

LC
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks, I just always wondered who the hell even remembered the welrod at that point. I guess there were probably a bunch of old guys in leadership positions that were involved in some secret squirrel shit during WWII though.
View Quote

I believe that I was the "old guy" that mentioned the welrod a few years ago.  I was down in the arms room at a unit I was assigned to and there were a few dozen on one of those heavy duty rolling shelves. I handled one and it was brand new. Not sure what they were doing there or why. Wasn't any of my business so I didn't ask but it was kind of neat to handle a piece of history.  

I've also seen De lisle carbine in operational use.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#41]

which episode?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just learned my FIL was MACV. Had no idea.  Trying to learn more now.
View Quote

MACV and MACV-SOG are a huge difference.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

which episode?
View Quote

Clete "Babysan" Sinyard. He hasn't dropped this one yet. He recorded around ten new episodes between SOAR and the SOG heritage event at Bragg. He interviewed Frank Pulley, Babysan, Robert Graham, and a few other guys.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Neat, great information there.
View Quote

Military Assistance Command Vietnam was a paper tiger administrative command that oversaw the war. Where Westmoreland and later Abrams held their command. SOG was part of their T&O in name only but reported via SOG Chief to DOD/POTUS level for tasking.

Is that “neat enough great information”? No Google/Wikipedia needed but you might find it useful.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

The det cord with washers thing...what was the actual usefulness of that? I mean, I get that it seems like a useful thing, maybe just to give it some heft to toss and/or emplace. And if you gotta legit blow something up theres no reason not to have a random assortment of flying metal bits as well.

Just wondered if that was a tried and true specialized munition, even if field expedient, or is it something like I would do, which is cool as fuck and non detracting from primary usage, but not worth the effort in the longer term.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Clete "Babysan" Sinyard. He hasn't dropped this one yet. He recorded around ten new episodes between SOAR and the SOG heritage event at Bragg. He interviewed Frank Pulley, Babysan, Robert Graham, and a few other guys.
View Quote

Awesome
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The det cord with washers thing...what was the actual usefulness of that?
View Quote

Multipurpose usage while still staying low weight.  

On time fuse or a tripwire fuse it functions as an anti-pursuit device with some anti-personnel capability due to the improvised frag.  It wouldn't be incredibly effective but the magic is in the fact that once a pursuing unit hit s boobytrap of any sort they now have to slow down and deliberately clear.  It's also a good way to initiate an ambush with some shock and awe.

It also has limited ability to be used for enemy cache or weapon reduction.  It wont destroy much, but you aren't using a DShk anymore that had detcord pulled through the chamber and ejection port and detonated.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is what I found for LRRP field rations. I suppose SOG guys could use but I know I’d rather not haul this stuff around but rather use what thru hikers on the AT and PCT use today.

LRP Rations
View Quote

We would still get LRRP meals on occasion well into the 1980s in Ranger Bn.

And most preferred them to the then first generation MREs.
The nest generation MREs by the end of the 1980s were getting better, and I don’t remember seeing the old LRRP items after that.
There were some new LRRP rations and white cold weather/long duration MREs I would see on occasion.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I rember some steel, commercially available 40 round mags in the early 90s.  I might have one, I will post a pic if I find it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

On time fuse or a tripwire fuse it functions as an anti-pursuit device with some anti-personnel capability due to the improvised frag.  It wouldn't be incredibly effective but the magic is in the fact that once a pursuing unit hit s boobytrap of any sort they now have to slow down and deliberately clear.  It's also a good way to initiate an ambush with some shock and awe.

It also has limited ability to be used for enemy cache or weapon reduction.  It wont destroy much, but you aren't using a DShk anymore that had detcord pulled through the chamber and ejection port and detonated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The det cord with washers thing...what was the actual usefulness of that?

Thanks, I get it, and suspected as much. I'm not a purist as far as total effectiveness, and I have always said that if explosives are part of the list of options, they automatically become top of that list. Innovative uses are even better.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top