Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he needed a hickory shampoo.

I couldn’t be a cop and deal with shitbags every day.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this was built/licensed for ALEA and is more or less still in testing. it's only distro to LE. it's not a publicly available app.
View Quote
You'd think police would want to make the source code public, so taxpayers could audit it and see how accurate, effective and unbiased it is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That has been happening for a long time. You got a DL, Govt. ID, passport? You're already in the system.
View Quote
But one of the requirements of Real ID is that the photo must be capable of being read by facial recognition software. They are clearly creating a better database.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why not just use a fingerprint scanner? Seems like it would be more accurate.
View Quote
Because fingerprint scanners cost majorly big bucks and have constant upkeep requirements. . The App is pennies by comparision.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Proliferation of facial scanning has made me wonder about picking up some small IR emitting LEDs and doing some experiments with a ballcap to see how hard it would be to blind said cameras.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably can't force prints on a traffic stop, do they even have portable ones?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just use a fingerprint scanner? Seems like it would be more accurate.
Probably can't force prints on a traffic stop, do they even have portable ones?
Depends on how you define portable. They are wired into the car and laptop. Some models can be a completely separate laptop. there are handheld models out there, but very few agencies are going to drop that coin.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Not being a dick and only read the OP but what does an obviously suspicious vehicle look like?

I’m genuinely curious what makes it obvious.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What does an obviously suspicious vehicle look like?
View Quote
Ask the millions of busybodies that call in suspicious vehicles to 911 every day.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not being a dick and only read the OP but what does an obviously suspicious vehicle look like?

I’m genuinely curious what makes it obvious.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kinda cool, kinda scary.
View Quote
You ain’t seen nothing yet.

We have some amazing software and hardware right now. Things that would make locating almost anyone in a very short period of time. Also imagine being able to roll back a camera reel of your last six years worth movement and associates.

It’s a brave new world out there boys.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We have some amazing software and hardware right now. Things that would make locating almost anyone in a very short period of time. Also imagine being able to roll back a camera reel of your last six years worth movement and associates.

View Quote
Well.....no shit!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In 10 years, you won't be able to walk in public in any major city without having your face scanned.
View Quote
Oh noes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#13]
If the app is Suspect.id, it seems suspiciously vague.

A privacy policy that just links back to their homepage.

“Other apps” includes one other entry for a Used Car Dealer ‘Mangment’ Software. Misspelling and all.

I don’t think I’d care to install this on my phone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
And it will never be used to control political opposition and dissidents.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well.....no shit!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.....no shit!!!
That reply tells me that you have no idea....  what the future holds for us.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.....no shit!!!
I think you explained it fairly well in the paragraph I bolded and colored in your post.

But NO DOUBT there will be developments that I cannot imagine right now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. No massive pilot project up and running in an certain Asian country.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m safe until penis recognition software becomes a thing.
View Quote
You've had to do the breathalazyer before, haven't you...

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Makes me think of uses in conjunction with something like these.

MICRO DRONES KILLER ARMS ROBOTS - AUTONOMOUS ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE - WARNING !!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LE only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what’s the app?
LE only.
Is there a restricted LE appstore with all sorts of cool shit in it that we can't see?

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is there a restricted LE appstore with all sorts of cool shit in it that we can't see?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what’s the app?
LE only.

Gotta look for the fringe around the logo...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Take pics, gather as much info as possible, issue cites in name given, release.

Seek warrants later when it is all figured out.

ETA: Impound your ride, etc...since you don't have a DL
View Quote
Police in your state don't have authority to arrest for driving without a license?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think you explained it fairly well in the paragraph I bolded and colored in your post.

But NO DOUBT there will be developments that I cannot imagine right now.
View Quote
Camera hardware has finally started to catch up to the software. Distributed computing and edge analytics will bring a world where your data (ie your life) will be monitored, analyzed and archived at almost real-time speeds.

Many groups in US and EU have well founded concerns about privacy issues that this type of technology brings to the table.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Proliferation of facial scanning has made me wonder about picking up some small IR emitting LEDs and doing some experiments with a ballcap to see how hard it would be to blind said cameras.
View Quote
They’ve already been making them for years..
Hats, glasses etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Camera hardware has finally started to catch up to the software. Distributed computing and edge analytics will bring a world where your data (ie your life) will be monitored, analyzed and archived at almost real-time speeds.

Many groups in US and EU have well founded concerns about privacy issues that this type of technology brings to the table.
View Quote
Wonderful.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
LE only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what’s the app?
LE only.
Sounds like a dating app.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Depends on how you define portable. They are wired into the car and laptop. Some models can be a completely separate laptop. there are handheld models out there, but very few agencies are going to drop that coin.  
View Quote
We have quite a few of the portable fingerprint scanners. I don’t recall them being very expensive and they work great.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I thought it was a dating app for cops though
View Quote
Should have know someone beat me to it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is this available for iOS so you can run the background on questionable women you encounter, before bringing them home? Asking for a friend.
View Quote
Can you still bring her home when it pops up with Jim?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what’s the app?
LE only.

It's right next to grindr and rawdogtonight in the app store,  or so i've heard
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No shit. What could possibly go wrong?  

ETA: I'm just here to learn what a blatantly suspicious vehicle looks like.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sure feel safer
No shit. What could possibly go wrong?  

ETA: I'm just here to learn what a blatantly suspicious vehicle looks like.    
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wonderful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonderful.
Which brings up another point to be made about data privacy....A 2a point.

Routinely you see discussions about gun registration and how that leads to confiscation. No lists has always been our stance as a group, for the most part. No lists of owners. No lists of transactions. No giant list of guns, well except those scary NFA items. Which very much would make confiscation harder.

Now that we have discussed ancient history let’s talk modern world. We live in a world where companies collect and store data on everything from bearing temps to occupancy levels to how often you log into your email, FOREVER.  Now with that data comes all kinds of metadata. Time place reliability origin path etc.

The government of the US has been actively collecting and archiving yours mine and everyone else’s metadata for quite a while now. Think NDAA. Now using that data it wouldn’t be hard to put some analytics together and then use some additional machine learning to polish your list. And we have “how you say? A bingo”.

This list would be more accurate than a list produced from any record keeping system that the Democrats could dream up.

Every time some one here makes a reference to the “hive” or GD mindset or the “average” ARFCOMER I think about this very thing. It’s not just us it could also be used to produce a list of just about anything given enough time and data.

EDIT TO ADD:  “But, it’s ok we promise to only use it on the “bad” guys.”
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We have quite a few of the portable fingerprint scanners. I don’t recall them being very expensive and they work great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check on what your dept pays for data storage and updates to their propiretary software and then get back to me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Which brings up another point to be made about data privacy....A 2a point.

Routinely you see discussions about gun registration and how that leads to confiscation. No lists has always been our stance as a group, for the most part. No lists of owners. No lists of transactions. No giant list of guns, well except those scary NFA items. Which very much would make confiscation harder.

Now that we have discussed ancient history let’s talk modern world. We live in a world where companies collect and store data on everything from bearing temps to occupancy levels to how often you log into your email, FOREVER.  Now with that data comes all kinds of metadata. Time place reliability origin path etc.

The government of the US has been actively collecting and archiving yours mine and everyone else’s metadata for quite a while now. Think NDAA. Now using that data it wouldn’t be hard to put some analytics together and then use some additional machine learning to polish your list. And we have “how you say? A bingo”.

This list would be more accurate than a list produced from any record keeping system that the Democrats could dream up.

Every time some one here makes a reference to the “hive” or GD mindset or the “average” ARFCOMER I think about this very thing. It’s not just us it could also be used to produce a list of just about anything given enough time and data.

EDIT TO ADD:  “But, it’s ok we promise to only use it on the “bad” guys.”
View Quote
I don't think there is ANY DOUBT that these things you suggest could come to fruition.

I have been saying as much, in a much more imprecise way, for MANY, MANY years.

I simply cannot disagree with anything you postulate......ALL OF THAT IS VERY POSSIBLE.

Some will call us tinfoilers…….they would have a point but look how quickly our intelligence agencies were usurped to carry out draconian and nefarious political activities.

I say quickly because it really has not been that long since the "computer revolution" started.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Did you have probably cause to take his picture?

Was he being detained?  Did you detain him to long?

Was he traveling as a boat captain and not driving a car and therefore not subject to United States law?

Damn road pirates!  :).  Technology has done some pretty cool stuff for you guys, just another tool int he tool bag I guess.

Stay safe.
View Quote
LOL......he had "probably cause" when he pulled him over in the first place.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't think there is ANY DOUBT that these things you suggest could come to fruition.

I simply cannot disagree with anything you postulate......ALL OF THAT IS VERY POSSIBLE.

Some will call us tinfoilers…….they would have a point but look how quickly our intelligence agencies were usurped to carry out draconian and nefarious political activities.

I say quickly because it really has not been that long since the "computer revolution" started.
View Quote
It’s not could happen, sometime, in the future. It is happening, has been happening, and the analytics will only get better, daily.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You did read the part where the driver had already broken the law, correct? Driving without proof of license is certainly probable cause for checking the identity of said driver to see if they are committing other crimes, such as driving on a suspended or revoked license, or in this case active warrants.

Get your panties unbunched, OP wasn't stopping people randomly on the street and scanning their faces.
View Quote
What I didn't read was the reason for the stop other than being “blatantly suspicious.”

I hope the OP articulated his RS/PC better in his arrest report than he did on the internet.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

LOL......he had "probably cause" when he pulled him over in the first place.  
View Quote
Click it or Ticket it, asshole!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The pic it matched him with, no beard. The pic we took, he had a beard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beards.....
The pic it matched him with, no beard. The pic we took, he had a beard.
People don’t think analytics be like it is. But it is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It’s not could happen, sometime, in the future. It is happening, has been happening, and the analytics will only get better, daily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree ONE HUNDRED GUZILLION percent.

I would be VERY interested in someone explaining how you are wrong?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree ONE HUNDRED GUZILLION percent.

I would be VERY interested in someone explaining how you are wrong?
View Quote
They will be along any minute they are still waiting for their AOL to connect.

“You’ve got mail”
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

“You’ve got mail”
View Quote
Our first real disagreement in this thread...…..they will not be along at all......because no one really disagrees would be my guess.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Our first real disagreement in this thread...…..they will not be along at all......because no one really disagrees would be my guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“You’ve got mail”
Ha. Still no disagreement. It’s a joke.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
from what i can tell it's basically a glorified google image search app.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm told it scan pictures from the internet.

So we took a picture of one of our officers who made the news. It found his picture.
from what i can tell it's basically a glorified google image search app.
I’m not sure how I feel about this statement.... on a couple of levels.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top