BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meanwhile other people in GD are crowdfunding a dog psychotherapy session for the “stressed” GSD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It appears obvious that dog owner wants the dogs to fight, and it will happen.  The GSD is quite obviously stressed and the idiot owner is just laughing.
Wasn't my take on it at all.
Meanwhile other people in GD are crowdfunding a dog psychotherapy session for the “stressed” GSD
LOL you own 1 GSD and you're an expert as well.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yea, works great with two male alpha dogs.  
View Quote
Which was not in that video.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
LOL at these fur-baby owners ITT.

Dogs have their own pecking order.
View Quote
Yes, which often leads to nasty fights between two male alpha dogs.  ITS AWESOME HAVING THAT GO DOWN!  FUCKING A!!  PECKING ORDER!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see how it turns out when the male reaches maturity.  Get back to me.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, which often leads to nasty fights between two male alpha dogs.  ITS AWESOME HAVING THAT GO DOWN!  FUCKING A!!  PECKING ORDER!!!
View Quote
Not what was going on in that video.

Who puts two male alphas together in the first place. El oh el.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lets see how it turns out when the male reaches maturity.  Get back to me.  
View Quote
Derp.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you're the expert
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It appears obvious that dog owner wants the dogs to fight, and it will happen.  The GSD is quite obviously stressed and the idiot owner is just laughing.
Wasn't my take on it at all.
She’s my fourth.  I have only owned one Mal, a high drive male that was 18 months old when I adopted him.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or sometimes dogs just need to establish the pecking order on their own.    Supervised by a human isn't a bad way to do that sometimes.
That's part of the whole supervised by a human.  Know the dogs.  Make sure the dogs know you outrank them.  It's knowledge and judgement.  Very few one size fits all answers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's part of the whole supervised by a human.  Know the dogs.  Make sure the dogs know you outrank them.  It's knowledge and judgement.  Very few one size fits all answer.
View Quote
You're arguing with an expert because he bought one high end dog that he allows to walk all over his furniture and expects the dog to act and be treated as a human child.
Fur-baby owner.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Puppy was just annoying the fuck out of the GSD.  GSD looks at owner a couple of times, that's the "you're the leader, could you fuckin' deal with this please" look.  Since the hooman didn't intervene, GSD finally put puppy in his place the way dogs understand.  Didn't use any more aggression than necessary, then went submissive - that body language was for the hooman, not the puppy.

GSD "stressed"......no.  Annoyed, yes.  "Stressed" you would see the ears start to do wierd shit and kind of flatten out, maybe some hair standing up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
What would happen in a wild dog pack with two alpha dogs in one pack?    They figure shit out, 99% of the time without serious injury.

This is an entire world different from dogs that are abused and tortured and then trained to fight....dogs baring teeth and snapping and growling within a social group is just another form of communication. Sometimes it kicks off a fight but most of the time it doesn't.  The pup was just being a pest because he was bored. There is absolutely no malice displayed in that video on either side.

You guys need to relax.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're arguing with an expert because he bought one high end dog that he allows to walk all over his furniture and expects the dog to act and be treated as a human child.
Fur-baby owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's part of the whole supervised by a human.  Know the dogs.  Make sure the dogs know you outrank them.  It's knowledge and judgement.  Very few one size fits all answer.
Fur-baby owner.
Those dogs weren’t being supervised, and my dog hunts, not exactly the poster fur baby you’re looking for.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What would happen in a wild dog pack with two alpha dogs in one pack?    They figure shit out, 99% of the time without serious injury.

This is an entire world different from dogs that are abused and tortured and then trained to fight....dogs baring teeth and snapping and growling within a social group is just another form of communication. Sometimes it kicks off a fight but most of the time it doesn't.  The pup was just being a pest because he was bored. There is absolutely no malice displayed in that video on either side.

You guys need to relax.
View Quote
Yes they figure shit out and it’s not fun dealing with two dogs that are torn to shit.  But yes, they some times figure it out.  Other times they don’t and the fights for rank continue.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fur-baby owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fur-baby owner.
I've just been around dogs all my life.   Strangely enough they were always other people's dogs, but I had control of them or responsibility for them.   Dogs seem to have to sort out the pecking order under the humans.  They figure out who eats first, and who backs down when there is a conflict.    IMO as long as they don't get seriously hurt it's not a bad thing to let them sort it out.    An ex GF had a a huge GSD who was a female alpha.    Her daughter had two much smaller GSDs and was going on vacation for a week or two.  We had to watch the extra dogs.  Her daughter didn't want the two smaller GSDs in w/ the larger one because one of them was a wanna be alpha.  She'd go after the my GF's dog.

We let my gf and her daughter leave to go shopping, and the daughter's husband and myself let the 3 dogs out together.  The little dog went after the big one who snarled at the little dog and started chasing her.   They went around the yard half a dozen times w/ the big alpha chasing the smaller dog and nipping at her.    When they got done we had no more problems.   But when this happened both sets of dogs had a human there watching who could deal w/ them.   Dogs are generally smart enough to know when to back down and they do once the posturing is over.  Mostly...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm curious what is up with that immediate laying down, head down move the older dog did once the pup fell over. Was it being submissive or apologizing? I don't know these things. We have two pugs and they're retarded most of the time.
View Quote
I would guess that the dog is confused as to why the pack leader didn't correct the pup, since that is the pack leader's job in the animal kingdom.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my Mal
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Those dogs weren’t being supervised, and my dog hunts, not exactly the poster fur baby you’re looking for.
View Quote
Haha, I don't believe you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fur-baby owner.
I hope that it doesn’t hunt unsupervised.  Dogs need supervision literally every waking moment of their lives, otherwise they will be stressed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I hope that it doesn’t hunt unsupervised.  Dogs need supervision literally every waking moment of their lives, otherwise they will be stressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fur-baby owner.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Holy shit, this thread...
View Quote
Some people don't know fuck all about dogs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow.   That is exactly how my mal acted when young. Nonstop energy and playing until the switch went off and she was asleep for hours. Then up and going crazy.

This thread is gold.

The dogs are just bashing four what is expected behavior from the lil mal.  The GSD hit his limit and let him know.  That point will likely never be reached again without mutual participation.
It’s an important function of a pack
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]
"Stop laying there and play with me!"

"No."
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Girlfriend had a Dutch Shepherd -- not the one that bit me unprovoked. When I first starting going over to her house, he'd look at me like he wanted to kill me so I'd tell him to go to bed, and he'd do it. Then, I'd go play with him in the yard, throwing his toys for him to retrieve. Whenever he looked at me like he wanted to kill me, I'd give him a command -- usually it would just be to go to bed and as he approached his bed, begrudgingly, I'd call him back over to me. After doing that every time I'd come over, he never gave me those looks again and would walk with his head pressed against my leg.

But... in spite of all that, that other one did the exact same thing as that one @TheGreatCornholio described. No warning, just fucking went all land shark on my leg. Someone here once said that they demand a lot of work and if you don't work them that they get neurotic and bite people. That has been my experience.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
If I was the Shepard, I would have bit the owner for being a moron...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fur-baby owner.
I don’t even know how that makes sense to you, but okay.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fur-baby owner.
You see that to me, talking to some dog people is like talking to horse women.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You guys need to relax.
View Quote
Domestic dogs are roughly the "wild" equivalent of juvenile wolves in terms of maturity.

It's interesting that this thread has people with similar dog experience who have polar opposite opinions of the video. Classic GD lol.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Domestic dogs are roughly the "wild" equivalent of juvenile wolves in terms of maturity.

It's interesting that this thread has people with similar dog experience who have polar opposite opinions of the video. Classic GD lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys need to relax.

I’d wager one side of the argument might have grown up in agriculture or the country.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is obvious that you have no idea about dog behavior.  The GSD disciplined the pup without injury mental or physical, and the pup will learn proper behavior to avoid fights as it grows bigger.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#31]
What a shitty owner. That dog is going to be a joy to be around when he gets older and won’t shut the fuck up
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It is obvious that you have no idea about dog behavior.  The GSD disciplined the pup without injury mental or physical, and the pup will learn proper behavior to avoid fights as it grows bigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To me it’s obvious that you have no idea about dog and pack behavior.  That pup has a very low chance of learning anything come another couple months.  It works for now,  no doubt about it.  It won’t be so funny when it happens down the road.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bingo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is an awful lot of judging for a minute and a half of life.

You know when kids swear it is funny? Then after a little bit you start correcting them?

Couldn’t happen very often as the pup isn’t that old and the owner sure didn’t sound like a Vick.

Carry on Caesar
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
To me it’s obvious that you have no idea about dog and pack behavior.  That pup has a very low chance of learning anything come another couple months.  It works for now,  no doubt about it.  It won’t be so funny when it happens down the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DOOM.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The GSD kept looking to the pack leader to step in but pack leader was laughing so GSD did it for her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just the pack leader teaching the younger one their place in the pack; no blood, no foul.
The GSD kept looking to the pack leader to step in but pack leader was laughing so GSD did it for her.
This!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Holy shit....the Ceasar Milan fan club showed up, and joined GD!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What a shitty owner. That dog is going to be a joy to be around when he gets older and won’t shut the fuck up
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I loved how the gsd is looking at the camera like hey human shut this guy up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'd wager one side of the argument might have grown up in agriculture or the country.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This!

Most people don't know shit about dog behavior. This video is why I keep my mouth shut when people say, "oh my dog/kid got bit by a dog and he wasn't doing anything to the dog...." These idiots probably think this puppy wasn't really doing anything either...

The adult GSD is very well mannered, smart understanding.

That's a game the owner needs to immediately stop! That isn't funny at all, they needed to immediately correct the pup before the adult feels it needs to correct the pup.

That pup will get emboldened as it gets older and the adult doesn't see that as a game or as cute or funny.

What happens when the pup is old enough that it doesn't feel it needs to back down and these two dogs work it out themselves? Will this behavior be funny then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This!

Most people don't know shit about dog behavior. This video is why I keep my mouth shut when people say, "oh my dog/kid got bit by a dog and he wasn't doing anything to the dog...." These idiots probably think this puppy wasn't really doing anything either...

The adult GSD is very well mannered, smart understanding.

That's a game the owner needs to immediately stop! That isn't funny at all, they needed to immediately correct the pup before the adult feels it needs to correct the pup.

That pup will get emboldened as it gets older and the adult doesn't see that as a game or as cute or funny.

What happens when the pup is old enough that it doesn't feel it needs to back down and these two dogs work it out themselves? Will this behavior be funny then?
Yup, I'm MY WORLD I'm the alpha.  Neither does jack unless I ok it. Fighting included. They learn real fast  their place and I and my wife are above them and they are all beta.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Played the video on my phone and my female GSD flipped out.  Male just layed on the couch.

They are cool dogs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Ah, yes, there's nothing like getting a face full of teeth to make you reconsider your life choices.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Ah, yes, there's nothing like getting a face full of teeth to make you reconsider your life choices.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't know, man. We have an awful lot of experts here claiming that letting a puppy bark at an adult dog is essentially baiting dog fights. Who are you to come in here with that common sense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things aren't always as the seem.  The owners of these to dogs did the pup a favor.
I don't know, man. We have an awful lot of experts here claiming that letting a puppy bark at an adult dog is essentially baiting dog fights. Who are you to come in here with that common sense?
They must not know much about dogs. It's proper socialization for the pup. He's got to learn somehow.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Kinda like people.  I really, really want to slap the shit out of the neighbor's kid.  But I can't.  Can I?  Can I?  Get off my lawn!
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Mals can be hard-headed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#48]
We had to muzzle our male GSD for 2 days when we brought our female Mal/GSD mix home since he only wanted to kill her when they met. They still go at it 4 years later every now and then, irresistible force vs immovable object. They are best friends but only they can mess with each other, they’ll tag team anyone else 2 or 4 legs.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top