Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It appears obvious that dog owner wants the dogs to fight, and it will happen.  The GSD is quite obviously stressed and the idiot owner is just laughing.
View Quote
Yeah, that GSD is stressed as hell. Surprised any dog owners would read those cues any differently.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Has the Mal Pups neck been broken yet? Some people have no business owning dogs.
It's so cute.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]
When my female ACD was around 15 weeks, very small but none stop.

Similar happened but the adult male went for her, she went right back.

I lead him away into the hall as I passed the sofa the pup slipped from my partners hand, jumped or should I say launched herself onto the sofa then the back of the sofa and launched herself onto his back like some kind of mad cujo velociraptor hell hound mix.

She’s been king dick around here ever since.

Logan will not back down from any dog when out big or small   but one look from her and his ears are flat and he slinks off.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The GSD kept looking to the pack leader to step in but pack leader was laughing so GSD did it for her.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just the pack leader teaching the younger one their place in the pack; no blood, no foul.
The GSD kept looking to the pack leader to step in but pack leader was laughing so GSD did it for her.
This.

And the GSD was expecting to be corrected after the fact, hence the submissive posture at the end.

Won't end well in that house.

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Half surprised that GSD is that we’ll mannered and submissive to his owner with what dipshits the owners are. He was clearly very uncomfortable.

GSDs are simply the best dog. Mals are their retarded hyperactive cousins
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit, this thread...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.

And the GSD was expecting to be corrected after the fact, hence the submissive posture at the end.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just the pack leader teaching the younger one their place in the pack; no blood, no foul.
This.

Yep.

And the same goes for kids. If you let your kids push and push and push the line while your dog looks to you for help, and you don’t step in, you are the one at fault when your kids get bit.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. If you are not the alpha, the alpha dog will take over that role. You do not want dogs like Mals and GSDs being the alphas.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
It has epic potential...…….

Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This!

Most people don't know shit about dog behavior. This video is why I keep my mouth shut when people say, "oh my dog/kid got bit by a dog and he wasn't doing anything to the dog...." These idiots probably think this puppy wasn't really doing anything either...

The adult GSD is very well mannered, smart understanding.

That's a game the owner needs to immediately stop! That isn't funny at all, they needed to immediately correct the pup before the adult feels it needs to correct the pup.

That pup will get emboldened as it gets older and the adult doesn't see that as a game or as cute or funny.

What happens when the pup is old enough that it doesn't feel it needs to back down and these two dogs work it out themselves? Will this behavior be funny then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It appears obvious that dog owner wants the dogs to fight, and it will happen.  The GSD is quite obviously stressed and the idiot owner is just laughing.
This!

Most people don't know shit about dog behavior. This video is why I keep my mouth shut when people say, "oh my dog/kid got bit by a dog and he wasn't doing anything to the dog...." These idiots probably think this puppy wasn't really doing anything either...

That's a game the owner needs to immediately stop! That isn't funny at all, they needed to immediately correct the pup before the adult feels it needs to correct the pup.

That pup will get emboldened as it gets older and the adult doesn't see that as a game or as cute or funny.

What happens when the pup is old enough that it doesn't feel it needs to back down and these two dogs work it out themselves? Will this behavior be funny then?
This right here.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much frantic hand wringing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have worked too many Mals over the years. For sure some are relaxed and groovy. Others will light you up when the doorbell rings or have some other personality quirk.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have worked too many Mals over the years. For sure some are relaxed and groovy. Others will light you up when the doorbell rings or have some other personality quirk.
View Quote
I want one so bad, but I will likely never end up owning one because I'm not stupid enough to think it'd be a good fit for my family or the dog.  They certainly are high energy dogs.  Think i'll stick with Labs
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
The mal was not flexing.

It was yelling,
Play, play, play, play, now, play, play now, MFer PLAY!

The GSD was a good dog, but did not want to play.  They were a little stressed, wanting to the owner to step and and tell pup to go away and leave him alone.

Not sure, age, temperament, timing, whatever.

This owner just seems to have expected them to play and was waiting for some cute dog play.  They did not seem to understand what was going on,  they did not want them to fight by any means.  They were just watching their cute little puppy.

A more astute owner would be expecting the GSD to play a little and growl or nip as needed to teach the pup some boundaries.  They would have corrected the pup and tried again latter, outside, when the GSD seemed like it wanted to play, etc.

The pup seems like a normal pup, the GSD seems to have a good temperament, the owner seems like they intend to provide a well cared for, well treated dog home.  They could be a little more tuned in, but that is going to come.

People that have been around a MWD, and had active dogs like typical pet/show line GSDs, Collies, Labs, Husky, etc., Or had active endurance based work animals,
Think they are ready for a mal. They think, hey, it will have a little more endurance than a GSD, be smart and easy to train, want to play a lot like a lab, run around a lot like a collie, go for runs with them like a husky, etc.  They may have had experience with dobermans, rotts, hybrids, hunting dogs, and think no problem.

But then the reality of living 24/7/365 with a true working line mal sets in.  A working line mal, DS, GSD type animal is a much different experience.

Maybe someday, a few decades from now, there will be a bunch of pet line mals like there are GSDs.  But that is not the case now.

Our available active, full of energy pet breeds are like daily driving a Mustang GT, Challenger RT, Or Camaro SS.
Not for everybody but if you are in to two door, RWD, V8s they can be fun and a nice daily driver.

Working line BM, DS, GSD are like getting the model of one of the above cars with forced induction, rear seat delete, radio delete, no AC, track tuned suspension, manual transmission, fiber glass hood and trunk, full traction control off, racing seat with five point harness and full roll cage model.  Yes, it is awesome and has incredible capabilities, but it can suck and get old fast as a daily driver.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want one so bad, but I will likely never end up owning one because I'm not stupid enough to think it'd be a good fit for my family or the dog.  They certainly are high energy dogs.  Think i'll stick with Labs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve come to the conclusion I’ll take a dog who reliably alerts me when something is up but is chill with family. I’ll handle the problems he alerts me to. I live in the country, so a dog barking is not an issue with neighbors.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This!

Agree.  That GSD deserves better.  Good doggie.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would never have a Mal living in my house.
View Quote
Why?

Went to the second page looking for your reply as to why and didn't find it
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why?

View Quote
cause they are often a giant destructive pain the ass?

They are great at what they are bred to be...they are not bred to be pets.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#20]
If the adult dog is well mannered and trained it is good that it did that to the pup. Old dog is under the owner and the puppy just found out he is the low dog under both.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  The owner should have stopped it, you can see the GSD getting stressed and looking uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I miss my GSD.

They are soo fucking smart.  Just looking at their eyes......you can tell what they are thinking.

We lost our girl a few months ago.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would never have a Mal living in my house.
Why?

Never had one, but my understanding is they're fairly high strung and can be quite destructive. I'd never want one as an indoor dog. I already lived through that with a JRT. I can't imagine an even larger version.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
The dog keeps looking to the woman for some adult intervention, but it's like expecting a public school employee to protect you from a bully.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Mine was a great pet and family dog. It all depends on the bloodline, the dog, and the owner.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a Malinois flex on me once. Ended up with a few 'lil holes in my forearm. I was just walking by and didn't even know the dog was there.

I'm sure my "vibes" were off, or some hippie shit like that...

Amazing working dogs. Otherwise?...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or sometimes dogs just need to establish the pecking order on their own.    Supervised by a human isn't a bad way to do that sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Typical Malinois owner ...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Scrappy: Ok, Boomer; Ok, Boomer; Ok, Boomer...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mine was a great pet and family dog. It all depends on the bloodline, the dog, and the owner.
View Quote
That's awesome, I have a field bred lab with an amazing amount of drive and an equally amazing "switch" he can go from frothing, adrenaline fueled shaking insanity to stuffed animal in very short order.  I've had other field labs that would literally eat a hole in the dry wall and consume carpet and pad because they didn't get enough work...

If you had a Mal that had that off switch that's very cool.  They require a knowledgeable owner willing to put in the time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#31]
It's the dog owners job to shush the Mal. The doggie hierarchy can take care of itself when the owner isn't watching.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#33]
It’s disturbing how few people understand what’s going on in the video.

The pup is annoying the older dog. Just being a pup but annoying none the less.

The older dog repeatedly “asks” for human intervention. After waiting in vain for help the older dog finally takes action.

Afterwards you see the confused/insecure body language of the older dog.

It’s not that hard. Dogs are not people but they are social creatures with emotions and communication skills. Humans SHOULD be capable of at least minimally understanding them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
So what dog would you recommend if you wanted a dog to help watch over the home from burglars when you're not there or protect your children when you're not around as well?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So what dog would you recommend if you wanted a dog to help watch over the home from burglars when you're not there or protect your children when you're not around as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Australian Shepherd.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked a Doberman. There are plenty of others out there too. Depends on the skill, energy level, and general living situation of the owner, really.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
looking at the camera like " can i do it mom, can i? alright screw it little b*tch, woof"
View Quote
Yup, I miss my GSD's.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#38]
It will learn its place in the hierarchy (pack order) quickly.
Make sure it puts YOU at the very top.

Nephew in-law just had his Siberian Husky die from an abdominal tumor.

105 pound plus dog.

Gentle as could be with smaller dogs, children, and people.

Never barked at anyone.
Just stood their wagging his tail.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Low to medium drive GSD.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wasn't my take on it at all.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

false...a properly trained Mal is no different than any other dog besides the fact they're better at everything than every other dog. All I will ever have are Mal's, and yes they will live in my house.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Looked to me like a female GSD.  A male would not have let it go that long before being aggressive.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seemed prety normal.
Puppy wanted to play.
GSD did not.

Pack order needs to become established.
As long as no real injury is produced let the dogs sort it out.

My puppy (only 11 months) and my older dog (12 years) still go through a cute 'play' fighting almost every morning.
Lots of growling, some snapping (that always misses), and a decent amount of noise.
They are playing.
After they are fed upstairs it generally stops for the day.
They will sleep in a pile.
Being smaller dogs they are now pretty close to the same size.

Puppy is showing signs of heat so she is not going to grow all that much more.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meanwhile other people in GD are crowdfunding a dog psychotherapy session for the “stressed” GSD
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#45]
LOL at these fur-baby owners ITT.

Dogs have their own pecking order.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

false...a properly trained Mal is no different than any other dog besides the fact they're better at everything than every other dog. All I will ever have are Mal's, and yes they will live in my house.
View Quote
Mals aren't bad dogs, don't get me wrong, really awesome actually but they aren't for....novice owners...I guess...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Australian Shepherd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Australian Shepherd.
Love ours. Shes 13.
The gsd/rott is 1.5yrs old.
The pup pulls this yap lets play shit and the aussie is like fuck you land shark, when i was your age, i could out run a JRT on a 5 day coke binge, you young dogs dont know shit, yeah ywah, woof,woof is that all you can do.
Then the pup pulls an " ok boomer " moment and i got a 45lb fur missle chasing a 90lb land shark through the house, over the couch, ....

Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Love ours. Shes 13.
The pup pulls this yap lets play shit and the aussie is like fuck you land shark, when i was your age, i could out run a JRT on a 5 day coke binge, you young dogs dont know shit, yeah ywah, woof,woof is that all you can do.
Then the pup pulls an " ok boomer " moment and i got a 45lb fur missle chasing a 90lb land shark through the house, over the couch, ....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Australian Shepherd.
Love ours. Shes 13.

Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Or sometimes dogs just need to establish the pecking order on their own.    Supervised by a human isn't a bad way to do that sometimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea, works great with two male alpha dogs.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top