Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/29/2021 5:33:50 AM EDT
Illinois man dies of rabies

An Illinois man died this month in the state's first human case of rabies since 1954, according to health officials on Tuesday.

The Lake County man, in his 80s, awoke in mid-August to find a bat on his neck.

The bat was captured and tested positive for rabies, but when health officials told the man he needed to start post-exposure rabies treatment, he declined, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) said in a statement.

A month later, the man started experiencing symptoms of rabies, including neck pain, difficulty controlling his arms, finger numbness and difficulty speaking.

He subsequently died and a bat colony was found in his home.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The Count is asshoe
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
COVID-19 topic
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Bad way to go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess he as ready to get off this ride.  Why would you refuse the treatments?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I could think of less miserable ways to say “fuck it”.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Even at the ripe old age of 80, I don't think rabies is the way I'd want to go out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bad way to go.
View Quote

Yea, I would have picked a different way of I had given up. Which I do get,but damn... Rabies?

Fuck that....
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anti vaxxer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Dumbass. That's not a good way to go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Can't fathom how that would ever seem like a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dumbass. That's not a good way to go.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#13]
We had a guy here bragging about refusing rabies shots in a thread recently.

Lot of dipshits in this world. Read any Covid thread.

If you get symptomatic rabies, you die. Period. And it can incubate for years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably read from reliable sources that the rabies shot was packed full of dna altering nanobots too
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#15]
In before:

"He died with rabies, not from rabies."

"He was in his 80s - a cold would have killed him."

"Its all a hoax to make you afraid! How many of you actually know someone who died of rabies?"

"I'm pretty sure I had rabies last February. It was just a bad cold."

Also in before one of our resident doctors explains that the rabies vaccine doesn't stop people from getting or spreading rabies, it just lessens the severity of rabies when they contract it, and that this is how practically all vaccines have always worked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aint that the truth. Rabies in not the way to go when you have given up. As soon as symptoms started time to eat a fucking bullet.

There was a girl from Elk Grove CA that survived rabies, think she is the only 1 that has. Its a miracle but she has brain damage from it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Stake through the heart before the lid is shut.

You have to be sure.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I want to drink your blood.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I had to have the post exposure rabies protocol due to a possible bat bite…dead bat found where I was sleeping.  It’s expensive, north of 10k without insurance, still 4K or so with insurance.  10k/4K sure beats dying but I get the sticker shock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#20]
ITT, we have Doomers comparing a well-established treatment to an experimental and unproven drug to try and prove a point LOL.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#21]
in the State of Oklahoma they will get a court order and take you in cuffs to a medical facility- if necessary.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
in the State of Oklahoma they will get a court order and take you in cuffs to a medical facility- if necessary.

View Quote

Is that true?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ITT, we have Doomers comparing a well-established treatment to an experimental and unproven drug to try and prove a point LOL.
View Quote

It is really, really hard to tell the real Doomers from Doomer Satire.

I thought they were joking but you may be right and they are genuinely making this tenuous comparison.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In before:

"Its all a hoax to make you afraid! How many of you actually know someone who died of rabies?"

Also in before one of our resident doctors explains that the rabies vaccine doesn't stop people from getting or spreading rabies, it just lessens the severity of rabies when they contract it, and that this is how practically all vaccines have always worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In before:

Y'all can't help yourselves, can you? Yeah, no difference at all between something with a 100% kill rate if untreated and something that 99.x% of people survive. Anyone who questions THE SCIENCE on covid surely doesn't believe any disease can hurt you

Anyway, stolen from reddit:

Rabies. It's exceptionally common, but people just don't run into the animals that carry it often. Skunks especially, and bats.

Let me paint you a picture.

You go camping, and at midday you decide to take a nap in a nice little hammock. While sleeping, a tiny brown bat, in the "rage" stages of infection is fidgeting in broad daylight, uncomfortable, and thirsty (due to the hydrophobia) and you snort, startling him. He goes into attack mode.

Except you're asleep, and he's a little brown bat, so weighs around 6 grams. You don't even feel him land on your bare knee, and he starts to bite. His teeth are tiny. Hardly enough to even break the skin, but he does manage to give you the equivalent of a tiny scrape that goes completely unnoticed.

Rabies does not travel in your blood. In fact, a blood test won't even tell you if you've got it. (Antibody tests may be done, but are useless if you've ever been vaccinated.)

You wake up, none the wiser. If you notice anything at the bite site at all, you assume you just lightly scraped it on something.

The bomb has been lit, and your nervous system is the wick. The rabies will multiply along your nervous system, doing virtually no damage, and completely undetectable. You literally have NO symptoms.

It may be four days, it may be a year, but the camping trip is most likely long forgotten. Then one day your back starts to ache... Or maybe you get a slight headache?

At this point, you're already dead. There is no cure.

(The sole caveat to this is the Milwaukee Protocol, which leaves most patients dead anyway, and the survivors mentally disabled, and is seldom done).

There's no treatment. It has a 100% kill rate.

Absorb that. Not a single other virus on the planet has a 100% kill rate. Only rabies. And once you're symptomatic, it's over. You're dead.

So what does that look like?

Your headache turns into a fever, and a general feeling of being unwell. You're fidgety. Uncomfortable. And scared. As the virus that has taken its time getting into your brain finds a vast network of nerve endings, it begins to rapidly reproduce, starting at the base of your brain... Where your "pons" is located. This is the part of the brain that controls communication between the rest of the brain and body, as well as sleep cycles.

Next you become anxious. You still think you have only a mild fever, but suddenly you find yourself becoming scared, even horrified, and it doesn't occur to you that you don't know why. This is because the rabies is chewing up your amygdala.

As your cerebellum becomes hot with the virus, you begin to lose muscle coordination, and balance. You think maybe it's a good idea to go to the doctor now, but assuming a doctor is smart enough to even run the tests necessary in the few days you have left on the planet, odds are they'll only be able to tell your loved ones what you died of later.

You're twitchy, shaking, and scared. You have the normal fear of not knowing what's going on, but with the virus really fucking the amygdala this is amplified a hundred fold. It's around this time the hydrophobia starts.

You're horribly thirsty, you just want water. But you can't drink. Every time you do, your throat clamps shut and you vomit. This has become a legitimate, active fear of water. You're thirsty, but looking at a glass of water begins to make you gag, and shy back in fear. The contradiction is hard for your hot brain to see at this point. By now, the doctors will have to put you on IVs to keep you hydrated, but even that's futile. You were dead the second you had a headache.

You begin hearing things, or not hearing at all as your thalamus goes. You taste sounds, you see smells, everything starts feeling like the most horrifying acid trip anyone has ever been on. With your hippocampus long under attack, you're having trouble remembering things, especially family.

You're alone, hallucinating, thirsty, confused, and absolutely, undeniably terrified. Everything scares the literal shit out of you at this point. These strange people in lab coats. These strange people standing around your bed crying, who keep trying to get you "drink something" and crying. And it's only been about a week since that little headache that you've completely forgotten. Time means nothing to you anymore. Funny enough, you now know how the bat felt when he bit you.

Eventually, you slip into the "dumb rabies" phase. Your brain has started the process of shutting down. Too much of it has been turned to liquid virus. Your face droops. You drool. You're all but unaware of what's around you. A sudden noise or light might startle you, but for the most part, it's all you can do to just stare at the ground. You haven't really slept for about 72 hours.

Then you die. Always, you die.

And there's not one... fucking... thing... anyone can do for you.

Then there's the question of what to do with your corpse. I mean, sure, burying it is the right thing to do. But the fucking virus can survive in a corpse for years. You could kill every rabid animal on the planet today, and if two years from now, some moist, preserved, rotten hunk of used-to-be brain gets eaten by an animal, it starts all over.

So yeah, rabies scares the shit out of me. And it's fucking EVERYWHERE. (Source: Spent a lot of time working with rabies. Would still get my vaccinations if I could afford them.)
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Now there's a vaccine I'd definitely be taking!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In before:

View Quote

Coc 6
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#27]
He rolled the dice and bet that the bat was a cool motherfucker.  But it weren't.  It gave him rabies and he died a month later.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
For something that has essentially a 100% of killing you vs. a small fraction of a percent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had to have the post exposure rabies protocol due to a possible bat bite…dead bat found where I was sleeping.  It’s expensive, north of 10k without insurance, still 4K or so with insurance.  10k/4K sure beats dying but I get the sticker shock.
View Quote

I had PEP too. My insurance and county government covered treatments even when the bat that bit me got away.

Little fucker bit me in the hand. Guess where they had to inject the 2mg immunoglobulin? Yup, I’m my hand. They injected from multiple locations around the bite, and it got to the point where my hand was so swollen, the fluid was leaking from the previous injection point.

Still not dead from rabies like the old man in the OP though, so I call that a win.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In before:

View Quote

We have had a rabies vaccine since 1885. Why haven’t we reached herd immunity yet?

Just like covid, rabies has millions of wild animals to serve as a reservoir.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Ban assault bats!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#33]
doomers really are the worst.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a lot better ways to go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We have had a rabies vaccine since 1885. Why haven’t we reached herd immunity yet?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before:

I've seen recommendations that hunters and trappers get pre exposure rabies vaccine. But I've never seen anyone who could tell me where it was available.

We can vaccinate our dogs for about $25. Humans, wait until we get bit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JHS:

View Quote

Not sure if serious….
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought he was incredibly stupid, too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Yikes. I had the rabies vaccine in 2003. I wonder how well I’d be protected now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Even at the ripe old age of 80, I don't think rabies is the way I'd want to go out.
View Quote

It’s a very bad way to go but I don’t think we let people go out like that in the US.  I believe they are drugged up to the point of medically induced coma at some point.  Maybe someone with actual knowledge can chime in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There's a lot better ways to go.
View Quote

I think I'd rather suck a shotgun and have bad aim than die of rabies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The bat was captured and tested positive for rabies, but when health officials told the man he needed to start post-exposure rabies treatment, he declined, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) said in a statement.

View Quote

What a dumbass.  Rabies is one of very few diseases in existence with pretty much a 100% fatality rate.  Why would you decline treatment after a known exposure?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

DOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bad way to go.
View Quote

What a bat way to go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Y'all can't help yourselves, can you? Yeah, no difference at all between something with a 100% kill rate if untreated and something that 99.x% of people survive. Anyone who questions THE SCIENCE on covid surely doesn't believe any disease can hurt you

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before:

Rabies. It's exceptionally common, but people just don't run into the animals that carry it often. Skunks especially, and bats.

You go camping, and at midday you decide to take a nap in a nice little hammock. While sleeping, a tiny brown bat, in the "rage" stages of infection is fidgeting in broad daylight, uncomfortable, and thirsty (due to the hydrophobia) and you snort, startling him. He goes into attack mode.

Except you're asleep, and he's a little brown bat, so weighs around 6 grams. You don't even feel him land on your bare knee, and he starts to bite. His teeth are tiny. Hardly enough to even break the skin, but he does manage to give you the equivalent of a tiny scrape that goes completely unnoticed.

Rabies does not travel in your blood. In fact, a blood test won't even tell you if you've got it. (Antibody tests may be done, but are useless if you've ever been vaccinated.)

You wake up, none the wiser. If you notice anything at the bite site at all, you assume you just lightly scraped it on something.

The bomb has been lit, and your nervous system is the wick. The rabies will multiply along your nervous system, doing virtually no damage, and completely undetectable. You literally have NO symptoms.

It may be four days, it may be a year, but the camping trip is most likely long forgotten. Then one day your back starts to ache... Or maybe you get a slight headache?

(The sole caveat to this is the Milwaukee Protocol, which leaves most patients dead anyway, and the survivors mentally disabled, and is seldom done).

Absorb that. Not a single other virus on the planet has a 100% kill rate. Only rabies. And once you're symptomatic, it's over. You're dead.

Your headache turns into a fever, and a general feeling of being unwell. You're fidgety. Uncomfortable. And scared. As the virus that has taken its time getting into your brain finds a vast network of nerve endings, it begins to rapidly reproduce, starting at the base of your brain... Where your "pons" is located. This is the part of the brain that controls communication between the rest of the brain and body, as well as sleep cycles.

Next you become anxious. You still think you have only a mild fever, but suddenly you find yourself becoming scared, even horrified, and it doesn't occur to you that you don't know why. This is because the rabies is chewing up your amygdala.

As your cerebellum becomes hot with the virus, you begin to lose muscle coordination, and balance. You think maybe it's a good idea to go to the doctor now, but assuming a doctor is smart enough to even run the tests necessary in the few days you have left on the planet, odds are they'll only be able to tell your loved ones what you died of later.

You're twitchy, shaking, and scared. You have the normal fear of not knowing what's going on, but with the virus really fucking the amygdala this is amplified a hundred fold. It's around this time the hydrophobia starts.

You're horribly thirsty, you just want water. But you can't drink. Every time you do, your throat clamps shut and you vomit. This has become a legitimate, active fear of water. You're thirsty, but looking at a glass of water begins to make you gag, and shy back in fear. The contradiction is hard for your hot brain to see at this point. By now, the doctors will have to put you on IVs to keep you hydrated, but even that's futile. You were dead the second you had a headache.

You begin hearing things, or not hearing at all as your thalamus goes. You taste sounds, you see smells, everything starts feeling like the most horrifying acid trip anyone has ever been on. With your hippocampus long under attack, you're having trouble remembering things, especially family.

You're alone, hallucinating, thirsty, confused, and absolutely, undeniably terrified. Everything scares the literal shit out of you at this point. These strange people in lab coats. These strange people standing around your bed crying, who keep trying to get you "drink something" and crying. And it's only been about a week since that little headache that you've completely forgotten. Time means nothing to you anymore. Funny enough, you now know how the bat felt when he bit you.

Eventually, you slip into the "dumb rabies" phase. Your brain has started the process of shutting down. Too much of it has been turned to liquid virus. Your face droops. You drool. You're all but unaware of what's around you. A sudden noise or light might startle you, but for the most part, it's all you can do to just stare at the ground. You haven't really slept for about 72 hours.

Then there's the question of what to do with your corpse. I mean, sure, burying it is the right thing to do. But the fucking virus can survive in a corpse for years. You could kill every rabid animal on the planet today, and if two years from now, some moist, preserved, rotten hunk of used-to-be brain gets eaten by an animal, it starts all over.

So yeah, rabies scares the shit out of me. And it's fucking EVERYWHERE. (Source: Spent a lot of time working with rabies. Would still get my vaccinations if I could afford them.)

Wow. Dramatic much? Calm down and take a breath. This Covid bullshit has seriously affected the ability of just about anyone to identify satire or humor, or their own biases.

I had a long post all typed out, but deleted it because tl/dr. Suffice to say: I'm pretty sure I'm on your side regarding covid (and rabies).

ETA: wow. A lot of rustled jimmies in here this morning.

For the record: Covid has killed a lot of people, but isn't worth losing freedoms over. Lockdowns and masks are bullshit. Govt is out of control. And the vaccines are a shitshow. That being said, the statements I listed above are about the worst possible arguments (from a logic/debate standpoint) you could take, which is exactly why the propeganda pushers pushed and reinforced them all through this fiasco.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Stolen but paints the picture:

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't think that declining rabies treatment is an option in Alabama.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yikes. I had the rabies vaccine in 2003. I wonder how well I’d be protected now.
View Quote

Probably.  If I'm reading it right, among people (groups of children and of adults) who received a pre-exposure prophylactic vaccination schedule (doses at zero and seven days) retained significant indicators of long-term effectiveness a year after vaccination and demonstrated test results indicating significant effectiveness 10-11 years after the initial vaccination without boosters.  These results are almost as good as a three dose series (days 0, 7, 21-28) in adults.  So I think you'd retain significant immunity for much longer.  But it's relatively easy and inexpensive to test and is commonly done, so if you're at any significant risk of exposure to rabies you should talk to a doctor about titer tests and boosters.

Edit and result: untreated rabies is 100% fatal, and many people in situations with elevated risk of exposure may be exposed in ways that are not obvious.  Rabies vaccines have been in use for well over a century, and modern vaccines for decades.  You're an idiot if you suspect exposure or are at increased risk of exposure and do not get a vaccination course.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#48]
So rabies sounds almost as bad as Covid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#49]
I have this shirt somewhere

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#50]
-He is almost dead
-He is dead enough!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top