Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
China bat is best bat
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck those things! They would buzz you in the early morning and before last light while bird hunting. I had the logging company cut their tree down first.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yikes. I had the rabies vaccine in 2003. I wonder how well I’d be protected now.
View Quote

IIRC you can have your immunity tested. Then a booster if you/the doctors feel you need it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Even at the ripe old age of 80, I don't think rabies is the way I'd want to go out.
View Quote

I’d rather do the old two hookers and an eight ball way out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What a dumbass.  Rabies is one of very few diseases in existence with pretty much a 100% fatality rate.  Why would you decline treatment after a known exposure?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bat was captured and tested positive for rabies, but when health officials told the man he needed to start post-exposure rabies treatment, he declined, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) said in a statement.

What a dumbass.  Rabies is one of very few diseases in existence with pretty much a 100% fatality rate.  Why would you decline treatment after a known exposure?

Even HIV can be treated and managed to the point it's just a chronic condition. Rabies, you're fucked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In before:

"He died with rabies, not from rabies."

"He was in his 80s - a cold would have killed him."

"Its all a hoax to make you afraid! How many of you actually know someone who died of rabies?"

"I'm pretty sure I had rabies last February. It was just a bad cold."

Also in before one of our resident doctors explains that the rabies vaccine doesn't stop people from getting or spreading rabies, it just lessens the severity of rabies when they contract it, and that this is how practically all vaccines have always worked.
View Quote

Go back to DU
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Rabies is a truly horrifying disease. The only upside is how rare it is.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Even at the ripe old age of 80, I don't think rabies is the way I'd want to go out.
View Quote

No kidding.  It's a horrible way to go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Rabies in Man [Silent] (US Army Medical Service, 1955)
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We had a guy here bragging about refusing rabies shots in a thread recently.

Lot of dipshits in this world. Read any Covid thread.

If you get symptomatic rabies, you die. Period. And it can incubate for years.
View Quote

or just look at the doomers in this thread comparing rabies to COVID.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think that declining rabies treatment is an option in Alabama.
View Quote

Wait, you mean to tell me those God fearing people force FORCE you to get treated even if you dont want it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sorry, but that man was a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In before:

"Its all a hoax to make you afraid! How many of you actually know someone who died of rabies?"

Also in before one of our resident doctors explains that the rabies vaccine doesn't stop people from getting or spreading rabies, it just lessens the severity of rabies when they contract it, and that this is how practically all vaccines have always worked.
View Quote

An effervescence of stupid, who'da thought........
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I fucking hate bats.

you would also think that a rabies vax would be recommended for people who venture into the woods etc.

All I know is that if some fuckin bats try and set up shop in my yard they are getting smoked with #6 shot
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

IIRC you can have your immunity tested. Then a booster if you/the doctors feel you need it.
View Quote

to my knowledge, Kansas State Rabies Laboratory is the only laboratory that can test for this.
its the only place that I have ever heard of a titer test going to.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is that true?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
in the State of Oklahoma they will get a court order and take you in cuffs to a medical facility- if necessary.

Is that true?

Yes it is. I was told after a "probable" exposure that I was getting the shots. Dumbass roommate bought a koti mundi from a pet store in Stillwater. One of the littermates tested positive a few weeks later.

Next thing I know the Payne County Health Dept is explaining my "options". Which were - You're getting the shots. They weren't the series in your stomach. Mine was one in each hip, and in 1 arm. Then, they alternated arms foe each subsequent one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Touch a bat
spin the wheel

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Too bad he didn't bite some commies and take them with him.  That would be one on my terminal rabies goals.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Has anyone done any studies on reather or not we really need bats? I know they are "beneficial" in their insect eating, but its getting to the point that I think I'd rather have the bugs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#22]
The Bauhaus can make a song out of this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Rabies is 100% fatal if not treated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Read that this morning, what a crappy way to die.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#25]
That’s a rather hardcore way to choose to go out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Illinois man dies of rabies

An Illinois man died this month in the state's first human case of rabies since 1954, according to health officials on Tuesday.

The Lake County man, in his 80s, awoke in mid-August to find a bat on his neck.

The bat was captured and tested positive for rabies, but when health officials told the man he needed to start post-exposure rabies treatment, he declined, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) said in a statement.

A month later, the man started experiencing symptoms of rabies, including neck pain, difficulty controlling his arms, finger numbness and difficulty speaking.

He subsequently died and a bat colony was found in his home.

https://c.tenor.com/hHxGE-1V28MAAAAM/dracula-bela-lugosi.gif
View Quote

Is it bad that I associated your Avatar gif my reaction to the story?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
ITT, we have Doomers comparing a well-established treatment to an experimental and unproven drug to try and prove a point LOL.
View Quote

INB4 bat15?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I fucking hate bats.

you would also think that a rabies vax would be recommended for people who venture into the woods etc.

All I know is that if some fuckin bats try and set up shop in my yard they are getting smoked with #6 shot
View Quote

Bats can eat 1000 mosquitos an hour. When I lived where mosquitos were a problem, I loved them, hell I put up a bat box.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We had a guy here bragging about refusing rabies shots in a thread recently.

Lot of dipshits in this world. Read any Covid thread.

If you get symptomatic rabies, you die. Period. And it can incubate for years.
View Quote

A friend of a friend survived rabies without the shots. Her recovery was incomplete.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ITT, we have Doomers comparing a well-established treatment to an experimental and unproven drug to try and prove a point LOL.
View Quote

Doomers conveniently overlooking the political manipulation, too.  Will they change their tune when they're on their knees in front of a trench?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Count is asshoe
View Quote

How so, when the victim declined treatment?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bad way to go.
View Quote

Bat way to go
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wow. Dramatic much? Calm down and take a breath. This Covid bullshit has seriously affected the ability of just about anyone to identify satire or humor, or their own biases.

I had a long post all typed out, but deleted it because tl/dr. Suffice to say: I'm pretty sure I'm on your side regarding covid (and rabies).

ETA: wow. A lot of rustled jimmies in here this morning.

For the record: Covid has killed a lot of people, but isn't worth losing freedoms over. Lockdowns and masks are bullshit. Govt is out of control. And the vaccines are a shitshow. That being said, the statements I listed above are about the worst possible arguments (from a logic/debate standpoint) you could take, which is exactly why the propeganda pushers pushed and reinforced them all through this fiasco.
View Quote

I'll apologize for my reaction in that case, but you have to keep in mind that we're a year into posts exactly like your previous one, only from people dead serious about it and it's becoming impossible to discern actual opinions from satire at this point
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve had my rabies vaccine.  I ain’t scared.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In before:

View Quote

Sorry buddy you are being obtuse with you idiotic statements ! The juice is worth the squeeze when it comes to rabies, not so much when it comes to Covid. What exactly are your medical qualifications by the way?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’ve had my rabies vaccine.  I ain’t scared.
View Quote

I’m not sure how often it’s recommended… but you need a booster to maintain efficacy…

I received PEP back in 2013. Pretty sure protection is limited and it’s recommended to get poked with another round of vaccine, not the immunoglobulin. Medical pros, correct me if I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a feeling if they found a bat colony in his house and he refused treatment.... the dude was probably not right in his mind to begin with.

What a fucked up way to go out... feel sorry for the people who had to treat him in his final days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember a gazebo out at a park we were at years ago that had a table inside of it that was covered in what looked like a very thick layer of bird shit, but when you looked up, the inside of the roof had a ton of bats hanging up in it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In before:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've seen recommendations that hunters and trappers get pre exposure rabies vaccine. But I've never seen anyone who could tell me where it was available.

We can vaccinate our dogs for about $25. Humans, wait until we get bit.
View Quote

A friend of mine that's a park ranger got the vaccine for free, at least at the one place he worked that was chock full of rabid raccoons.

The thing that really weirds me out, besides all of it, is how some animals, even some people, can harbor it for a long time before the symptoms show.

Hopefully the old man was put in a medically induced coma so he didn't suffer. I'll bet money he just decided it was a good time to turn in his chips. At least he didn't have to clean up the guano from all those bats living in his house.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Had a bat colony in his house.  Pets?  Sensing there is a weird back story to this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#42]
The story of Guano Point starts a few decades ago. In the 1930s, a young man decided to go for a nice little boat ride down the Granite Gorge, just minding his own business, when he noticed a hole in one of the canyon walls. That man's name was Harold Carpenter. He estimated the hole was maybe, 600 feet above the water, and he was curious. He should probably investigate. Why not, right?

Three days of climbing later, he finally reached the hole.

As it turned out, the hole was a giant cave and it was filled with guano. Aka bat poop. Guano is crazy rich in nitrates and phosphates, which is a main component in fertilizer. A mining engineer even estimated that there was at least 100,000 tons of guano in the cave. Surely that would net at least $12-15 million. That guano was gold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Had a bat colony in his house.  Pets?  Sensing there is a weird back story to this.
View Quote

More likely had some take up residency in his attic.  A friend of mine went through that a few years ago.  Had to pay some pros to come out and remove them, then another company to come in and clean up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Rabies is 100% fatal if not treated.
View Quote

It's basically 100% fatal if it is treated too, at least once symptoms appear.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I am fairly certain that this is not the second case since 1924 in Illinois.

In the late 1960's ~ early 1970's at a hospital in east central Illinois we had a rabies patient. Fellow lab techs warned us of the dangers. Being an X-Ray Tech we were doing daily X-Rays on said patient.
Full protective dress  out and wipe down of equipment / anything that went in the room.
Would not provide rabies vax for any employee that had contact with said patient.
Sister Administrator forced hospital policy was that Patient did not exist. Patient did not survive.

Hospitals was also not reporting instances of child abuse if parents were of the same religion.

Luckily I was offered a Bio Med engineering position shortly after the rabies incident at 4X salary.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Probably read from reliable sources that the rabies shot was packed full of dna altering nanobots too
View Quote

I know you're being sarcastic, but every time I hear a conservative say something like that I cringe.

It makes us all look so crazy. We need to stick to facts, and there are enough of those to win an argument, why must we go down the conspiracy path?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A friend of a friend survived rabies without the shots. Her recovery was incomplete.
View Quote

Wow.  There are only about 20 people known to have ever survived rabies.  I believe most or all went through the Milwaukee treatment protocol, and most or all were left with some level of brain damage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bats can eat 1000 mosquitos an hour. When I lived where mosquitos were a problem, I loved them, hell I put up a bat box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fucking hate bats.

You know what else eats a shit load of mosquitoes (in all satges of life) and doesn't give you rabies?>

Dragon Flies....FUCK BATS

Only reason I'd put up a bat box would be to euthanize them when they are roosting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

They live in attics. They get in through the gable vents, it's really the perfect bat home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Probably.  If I'm reading it right, among people (groups of children and of adults) who received a pre-exposure prophylactic vaccination schedule (doses at zero and seven days) retained significant indicators of long-term effectiveness a year after vaccination and demonstrated test results indicating significant effectiveness 10-11 years after the initial vaccination without boosters.  These results are almost as good as a three dose series (days 0, 7, 21-28) in adults.  So I think you'd retain significant immunity for much longer.  But it's relatively easy and inexpensive to test and is commonly done, so if you're at any significant risk of exposure to rabies you should talk to a doctor about titer tests and boosters.

Edit and result: untreated rabies is 100% fatal, and many people in situations with elevated risk of exposure may be exposed in ways that are not obvious.  Rabies vaccines have been in use for well over a century, and modern vaccines for decades.  You're an idiot if you suspect exposure or are at increased risk of exposure and do not get a vaccination course.
View Quote
Correction: It is only 99.9999...% fatal thanks to some miraculous health care work.

Calif. girl survives rabies without treatment

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top