Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why use a monolithic upper just to keep the front sight?

Just cause they're Marines, doesn't mean they can't be .

You can't give grunts shit with screws that tighten with normal everyday tools. They will break them every time.

I don't know how many weapons parts I have found on the ground in the sandbox that were clearly broken off from being over torqued......

No offense to the non-retarded grunts here.

ETA - The Aimpoint QRP 2 mount is a case study on this. They had to develop a mount that was virtually impossible to break by over tightening....
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why not? The VLTOR VIS is 12" long which means the front sight still fits, also I read somewhere that military abhorred the idea of and I quote "folding sights on a fighting rifle."

Also, this obviates the need for the installation of a new gas block and front sight, which saves time and $.

I just don't get, as another poster said, doing all that and still having a sling attached to the FSB. Or even adding a M203 on there -- kinda kills the free float idea.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Why does the article claim that using an ACOG or scope increases accuracy by up to 35 percent?

I guess both marksmanship and brains are on the decline.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The article says that it's using a rifle buffer and spring, but if it's the A5 system VLTOR has been selling, it's an intermediate size buffer that uses the rifle spring.

I don't quite get the utility of having the basis for a precision rifle, and then using the existing barrels.  Could just be a budgetary issue, and as rifles are rotated through depot they will be replaced.  I hope they have a bunch of 2111s in the 3rd echelon armories, doing the all conversions is going to be a bitch.  I foresee many working weekends.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why does the article claim that using an ACOG or scope increases accuracy by up to 35 percent?

It says a free floated barrel and a scope increases accuracy by 35% versus a rifle with iron sights and a non free floated barrel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Technical observation: Unless the VLTOR A5 recoil system for the USMC is different from mine & all the others, it does not use the rifle buffer. It retains the rifle action spring but uses a proprietary buffer. It mimics the characteristics (including reliability) of the rifle system, but allows for some adjustability.

ETA: beaten by 2 minutes. Look up a couple posts.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It says a free floated barrel and a scope increases accuracy by 35% versus a rifle with iron sights and a non free floated barrel.
Unless they are mounting the slings to the rails instead of the FSB now they are not free floated no matter how much they spent on a railed monolithic upper.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Technical observation: Unless the VLTOR A5 recoil system for the USMC is different from mine & all the others, it does not use the rifle buffer. It retains the rifle action spring but uses a proprietary buffer. It mimics the characteristics (including reliability) of the rifle system, but allows for some adjustability.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm guessing the article is in error and meant to say what you are saying - rifle spring, intermediate buffer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Uh, the Military has a fuck ton of BCGs. They are re-using them cause the military needs to save money. Hence why at the end of my last deployment we qualified before we left because our budget was being cut when we returned to the states.

Yeah, they're so concerned with saving money that they're spending $1200 for a new fucking handguard and stock

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So they went with the VIS instead of LMT's MRP?
And they are going to keep the old barrels?

I'm sure they will gain accuracy from free floating and the rigidity of the VIS but a new barrel just seems called for.
(but what the hell do I know?)

The MRP cannot detach the lower section of the rail to accommodate a barrel mounted M203, the ability to barrel mount a '203 is still a requirement for all general use service rifles in the US military.

As for keeping the old barrels all I can guess is it saves money and they didn't feel they needed any more accuracy for the work they were going to be doing with the A5 system. The Corps has DMRs and this isn't one, it is more like a half step to a DMR.

Also keeping the old barrel means they don't need to install (and thus headspace, fit, etc.) a new barrel. This contributes to it being a quick and easy armorer conversion.

Thats why LMT designed a rail mounted M203.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless they are mounting the slings to the rails instead of the FSB now they are not free floated no matter how much they spent on a railed monolithic upper.

How much is a sling going to interfere with, shall we call it, "floatiness" when it is not supporting any weight? Or hell, maybe they'll just by Magpul rail attach sling mounts and call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
So is it going to be something like this?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How much is a sling going to interfere with, shall we call it, "floatiness" when it is not supporting any weight? Or hell, maybe they'll just by Magpul rail attach sling mounts and call it a day.
Offhand shooting with a sling changes POI by a shitton if the rifle is not free floated from the sling.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, the Military has a fuck ton of BCGs. They are re-using them cause the military needs to save money. Hence why at the end of my last deployment we qualified before we left because our budget was being cut when we returned to the states.

Yeah, they're so concerned with saving money that they're spending $1200 for a new fucking handguard and stock

AND fancy new 1911's for the MEU
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So they went with the VIS instead of LMT's MRP?
And they are going to keep the old barrels?

I'm sure they will gain accuracy from free floating and the rigidity of the VIS but a new barrel just seems called for.
(but what the hell do I know?)

The MRP cannot detach the lower section of the rail to accommodate a barrel mounted M203, the ability to barrel mount a '203 is still a requirement for all general use service rifles in the US military.

As for keeping the old barrels all I can guess is it saves money and they didn't feel they needed any more accuracy for the work they were going to be doing with the A5 system. The Corps has DMRs and this isn't one, it is more like a half step to a DMR.

Also keeping the old barrel means they don't need to install (and thus headspace, fit, etc.) a new barrel. This contributes to it being a quick and easy armorer conversion.

You don't change the headspace on an AR barrel. They'll work, unless something is out of spec and needs to be replaced. Ability to mount an M203 to the barrel should NOT be a requirement. Make one upper for everyone. Make another that mounts an M203. Instead of issuing a 203 mount, issue a 203 upper. Problem solved, and everyone has a better rifle for not having to be compatible with equipment that they don't have on their rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If the weapon is slung at all, and there is any sort of tension on the sling, it kinda defeats the purpose of free floating it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#17]
so almost like the Canadians have been doing...

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/pacrimguru/AR-15%20FDE/IMG_0322.jpg

This is exactly what the new weapons system will look like (mocked up using pimpmygun 'cause I was bored)

Just imagine the lower and barrel and front sight being scratched and scuffed from hard use.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why use a monolithic upper just to keep the front sight?

Just cause they're Marines, doesn't mean they can't be .

Why not? The barrel flexes less than the rail so it's more accurate and it's cheaper/more durable than rail mounting a sight.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought the M16A5 with an M16A4 fitted with the safe-semi-full triggergroup.  (Much like the M16A3 was the M16A2 with the safe-semi-full trigger group)

If thats the case, wouldn't this be the M16A6?

It'll be a mistake if they DON'T go to  a full auto trigger on this. Which I bet they won't. They ought to use a Geissele SSA or SSF.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly what the new weapons system will look like (mocked up using pimpmygun 'cause I was bored)

http://s8.postimage.org/r45ys0151/myweapon_3.jpg

Just imagine the lower and barrel and front sight being scratched and scuffed from hard use.

I decided to do the exact same thing in pimpmygun and post it, but you beat me goddammit
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They weren't clear on whether the scope matters that much or not. However if you use the sling on an A4 inconsistently you can get up to 2' of POI shift at qualification.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Should just replace all of them with the M27's. They are fucking awesome. They shold have replaced all M16/M4's with M27's and adopted a new beltfed. They are even thinking of replacing Mk12's with the M27

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s8.postimage.org/r45ys0151/myweapon_3.jpg

Looks pretty sexy
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the M16A5 with an M16A4 fitted with the safe-semi-full triggergroup.  (Much like the M16A3 was the M16A2 with the safe-semi-full trigger group)

Your'e thinking of the M16A3.

Nope, I think whatever version you are talking about never go an official A_ designation.

Pretty sure the Navy designated it as such.  Its been several years since I saw any mention of it though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not up to speed on the latest military weaponry (I'm from the M16A1 era). When they say the Marines are bucking the trend of the other services by updating the rifle length M16 does that mean the other services have simply dropped the M16 (in favor of M4 carbines?) or does it mean the other services have adopted something else to replace the rifle length M16?

The M4 is the order of the day for the Army and they have little interest in a 5.56 platform with a barrel of 16". They have decided to field a 7.62x51mm rifle for all marksman work.

I think you mean 20", right? M16A1/A2/A3/A4 all have 20" barrels.  

Well that is true,M4 bbls are 14.5".
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your'e thinking of the M16A3.

Nope, I think whatever version you are talking about never go an official A_ designation.

Pretty sure the Navy designated it as such.  Its been several years since I saw any mention of it though.

We worked on A3s (roll marked as such) for a SeaBee unit that was on base.  It was all A2 except for the full auto FCG and the receiver marked Safe-Semi-Auto.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#28]
who needs accuracy when they have the Beta-C accuracy compensator???    Ammo is cheaper than man hours/range time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The M16A3 started off as a full auto version of the A2.  It eventually morphed to the flattop of the A4, but still retained the A3 designation.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]
want.

When is Colt going to come out with a civi version?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
want.

You mean FN?

Colt's releasing the AR15A4 this year, though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
want.

You mean FN?

Does FN make any civilian ARs?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
want.

You mean FN?

They make things for other people.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M16A3 started off as a full auto version of the A2.  It eventually morphed to the flattop of the A4, but still retained the A3 designation.

The A3 remains an iron sighted rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll put money they won't be paying 1200/per rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

want.

You mean FN?

PSA is basically FNs civilian arm. Maybe.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like a DMR, except that they intend to replace all their older rifles?

The collapsible stock will be a godsend - makes sense if they are determined to maintain the 20" barrel, they do what they can to make it more practical for use in armor, etc. and get the most out of the extra length by free floating.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#38]

gonna look like this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#39]
well kinda like that, but with a fixed front sight tower, standard barrel, ACOG RCO, and brown.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I bet I could spend $100,000,000 per Marine...

No, you couldn't .
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
well kinda like that, but with a fixed front sight tower, standard barrel, ACOG RCO, and brown.

with a 20" barrel
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#42]
It reads like an advert for VLTOR
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

with a 20" barrel

That is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

with a 20" barrel

That is.

Gas block looks to be too far to be a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

with a 20" barrel

That is.

Gas block looks to be too far to be a 20" barrel.

Ah you're right. Looks like 18" now that I reconsider. It's profiled for an OPS Inc. brake too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:03:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At one time I thought that as well and even said manufacturers that called their flattop A3 were wrong.  I was proven to be wrong as there was a company that was making A3s for the military, but they were flattops.

I researched it and even talked to the company.  It seems that same company got raided within the last year over guys taking guns home and got in big trouble.

ETA:  It was Sabre Defense and I even talked to one of their guys about it on the phone and he said the flattop full autos were designated A3.

If you have proof that the A3 is indeed still a fixed carry handle and that they guy as Sabre was FOS, I would love it.

I could go back to ragging on morons who call their flattops "A3", both individuals and companies.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=445723

Additional comments provided by Jim Shepherd of the Shooting Wire, via Email:

It's short and to the point, and at this point, it's the obituary for the current owners of Sabre Defence Industries and Sabre Defence Holdings.

The company's public difficulties began some months ago when federal agents raided their headquarters and locked the building down while they conducted an investigation. That investigation turned up employees who were essentially stealing inventory and selling it outside authorized channels.

But it set off a domino effect that has culminated in Cadence Bank's decision to cut off their line of credit, assume ownership under an Article 9 UCC ruling, and call for a single-item auction of the whole shebang.

The whole shebang, incidentally, includes government contracts for full-auto firearms and the equipment- in place- to continue manufacturing. In essence, it's a ready-made business with a solid reputation for quality manufacturing. The fact that employees have remained on the job - without pay- for weeks also speaks to the fact that they believe in the product and mission as well.

What causes a successful company with a line of quality products to come to such an ignominious end?

There's no single factor, but in a failure of this size, bad fiscal mismanagement has to play at least some part in the failure.

As was once explained to me, "owing a bank $10,000 means they own you; owing the bank $25,000,000 means you own them." The bankers, already on the hook for a significant amount of money under the company's line of credit, are more than willing to explore alternatives to keep the company in business. In some cases, it means continuing to advance money in the hopes things can/will turn around.

This time it seems relations between Sabre and Cadence Bank were beyond reconciliation and the bank moved - quickly- to try and recover as much of their investment as possible.

The fact the bidding process closes at noon on Valentine's Day with the winning bidder/ties notified by 5 p.m. makes it obvious that Cadence is looking to unload and move on. That, of course, is unless there are tie bids. A second go-round will follow immediately thereafter.

Bidding, incidentally, requires a $100,000 deposit -and it's forfeit if a bidder doesn't have the appropriate licenses or the ultimate purchaser fails to close the bid. Full payment is expected by 5 p.m on February 17.

Sabre is primarily known by consumers for its full-line of piston-driven civilian AR-platform rifles.

But Sabre Defence Industries business also manufactures M2 Browning machine gun receivers, M16A3 and M16A4 rifles, M2 bolts, barrel extensions, M60 barrels, M2 heavy barrels, light aircraft barrels and 7.62 mini-gun barrels.

As the company proudly states on their defense website, they are "one of the select few companies in the world to ever be awarded a contract for a Mil-Spec M16 rifle."

All that can be yours, if "Your price is right". Several likely players are already preparing to get in on the auction. They range from obvious major companies to other "boutique" rifle manufacturers looking to expand their presence into both the civilian and LE/Military marketplace. There are, however, many variables that could turn an apparent bargain into a protracted process where it is once again proven that time is money.

You heard it here first, and we're certain there will be a flurry of activity between now and Valentine's Day.

We'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At one time I thought that as well and even said manufacturers that called their flattop A3 were wrong.  I was proven to be wrong as there was a company that was making A3s for the military, but they were flattops.

I researched it and even talked to the company.  It seems that same company got raided within the last year over guys taking guns home and got in big trouble.

ETA:  It was Sabre Defense and I even talked to one of their guys about it on the phone and he said the flattop full autos were designated A3.

If you have proof that the A3 is indeed still a fixed carry handle and that they guy as Sabre was FOS, I would love it.

I could go back to ragging on morons who call their flattops "A3", both individuals and companies.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=445723

Additional comments provided by Jim Shepherd of the Shooting Wire, via Email:

It's short and to the point, and at this point, it's the obituary for the current owners of Sabre Defence Industries and Sabre Defence Holdings.

The company's public difficulties began some months ago when federal agents raided their headquarters and locked the building down while they conducted an investigation. That investigation turned up employees who were essentially stealing inventory and selling it outside authorized channels.

But it set off a domino effect that has culminated in Cadence Bank's decision to cut off their line of credit, assume ownership under an Article 9 UCC ruling, and call for a single-item auction of the whole shebang.

The whole shebang, incidentally, includes government contracts for full-auto firearms and the equipment- in place- to continue manufacturing. In essence, it's a ready-made business with a solid reputation for quality manufacturing. The fact that employees have remained on the job - without pay- for weeks also speaks to the fact that they believe in the product and mission as well.

What causes a successful company with a line of quality products to come to such an ignominious end?

There's no single factor, but in a failure of this size, bad fiscal mismanagement has to play at least some part in the failure.

As was once explained to me, "owing a bank $10,000 means they own you; owing the bank $25,000,000 means you own them." The bankers, already on the hook for a significant amount of money under the company's line of credit, are more than willing to explore alternatives to keep the company in business. In some cases, it means continuing to advance money in the hopes things can/will turn around.

This time it seems relations between Sabre and Cadence Bank were beyond reconciliation and the bank moved - quickly- to try and recover as much of their investment as possible.

The fact the bidding process closes at noon on Valentine's Day with the winning bidder/ties notified by 5 p.m. makes it obvious that Cadence is looking to unload and move on. That, of course, is unless there are tie bids. A second go-round will follow immediately thereafter.

Bidding, incidentally, requires a $100,000 deposit -and it's forfeit if a bidder doesn't have the appropriate licenses or the ultimate purchaser fails to close the bid. Full payment is expected by 5 p.m on February 17.

Sabre is primarily known by consumers for its full-line of piston-driven civilian AR-platform rifles.

But Sabre Defence Industries business also manufactures M2 Browning machine gun receivers, M16A3 and M16A4 rifles, M2 bolts, barrel extensions, M60 barrels, M2 heavy barrels, light aircraft barrels and 7.62 mini-gun barrels.

As the company proudly states on their defense website, they are "one of the select few companies in the world to ever be awarded a contract for a Mil-Spec M16 rifle."

All that can be yours, if "Your price is right". Several likely players are already preparing to get in on the auction. They range from obvious major companies to other "boutique" rifle manufacturers looking to expand their presence into both the civilian and LE/Military marketplace. There are, however, many variables that could turn an apparent bargain into a protracted process where it is once again proven that time is money.

You heard it here first, and we're certain there will be a flurry of activity between now and Valentine's Day.

We'll keep you posted.

Flat top or lack thereof does not change the designation - same with the M4.  I've seen variants of both.

It frankly makes no sense to me why they went to an "M16A4" designation for the flat-top with burst, since the M4 and the M16A3 both seem to have morphed into flat-top variants despite their original configuration.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:23:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
TL; DR summary:

Marine Corps is buying monolithic uppers and adjustable stock kits from VLTOR en masse, having armorers slap them on existing M16A4s, adding optics and fielding them as marksman rifles. They stop short of actually fitting heavy barrels or even using new barrels, choosing instead to free float the barrels of the existing M16A4s.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Sabre Defense was doing more than guys taking guns home. Institutionally the company was shipping guns overseas hidden with other cargo, and cooking the books to cover it.

ATF shut down the plant and several Brits and US citizens went to jail over this. The company was rotten through and through

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Sabre Defense was doing more than guys taking guns home. Institutionally the company was shipping guns overseas hidden with other cargo, and cooking the books to cover it.

ATF shut down the plant and several Brits and US citizens went to jail over this. The company was rotten through and through

unreal!

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top