Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:53:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Why doesn't The Corps go with something like the Canadian C7A2?

This current plan sounds kind of expensive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I always liked that configuration for a full length barrel variant.  I'd love a C7 clone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]
*ARMY TM 9-1005-319-23&P

The 23&P shows the M16A3 to be a flattop.

Do not however confuse coomercial manufacurers hype with mil nomenclature.

There is no connection.

Just as the current Armalite has no connection with the original Armalite, or if bushamster calls their guns something, it has zero to do with mil nomenclature
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought one of the A5 stock systems from VLTOR when they first came out in 2010.

It has their EMOD stock with a seven position tube and a special buffer and spring combination
that allows for it to work on anything from an SBR to a rifle length gas system without changing the buffer.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always liked that configuration for a full length barrel variant.  I'd love a C7 clone.

Me too. When I read this thread I thought about how much The Corps would have to shell out to but the mnolithic upper, plus the LMT buis thats a lot of money for shit they already have on hand. Ditch the A2 stock and replace with a 6 pos M4 stock and call it a day. The tax payer side of me is a little pissed over this. I work for a defense contractor and I see some of the dumb shit the military pays for and I think these days the need to be frugal is necessary.

A C7A2 would be a good replacement for the M16A4.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the M16A5 with an M16A4 fitted with the safe-semi-full triggergroup.  (Much like the M16A3 was the M16A2 with the safe-semi-full trigger group)

If thats the case, wouldn't this be the M16A6?

The M16A3 started off as a full auto version of the A2.  It eventually morphed to the flattop of the A4, but still retained the A3 designation.

The A3 remains an iron sighted rifle.

At one time I thought that as well and even said manufacturers that called their flattop A3 were wrong.  I was proven to be wrong as there was a company that was making A3s for the military, but they were flattops.

I researched it and even talked to the company.  It seems that same company got raided within the last year over guys taking guns home and got in big trouble.

ETA:  It was Sabre Defense and I even talked to one of their guys about it on the phone and he said the flattop full autos were designated A3.

If you have proof that the A3 is indeed still a fixed carry handle and that they guy as Sabre was FOS, I would love it.

I could go back to ragging on morons who call their flattops "A3", both individuals and companies.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=445723

Additional comments provided by Jim Shepherd of the Shooting Wire, via Email:

It's short and to the point, and at this point, it's the obituary for the current owners of Sabre Defence Industries and Sabre Defence Holdings.

The company's public difficulties began some months ago when federal agents raided their headquarters and locked the building down while they conducted an investigation. That investigation turned up employees who were essentially stealing inventory and selling it outside authorized channels.

But it set off a domino effect that has culminated in Cadence Bank's decision to cut off their line of credit, assume ownership under an Article 9 UCC ruling, and call for a single-item auction of the whole shebang.

The whole shebang, incidentally, includes government contracts for full-auto firearms and the equipment- in place- to continue manufacturing. In essence, it's a ready-made business with a solid reputation for quality manufacturing. The fact that employees have remained on the job - without pay- for weeks also speaks to the fact that they believe in the product and mission as well.

What causes a successful company with a line of quality products to come to such an ignominious end?

There's no single factor, but in a failure of this size, bad fiscal mismanagement has to play at least some part in the failure.

As was once explained to me, "owing a bank $10,000 means they own you; owing the bank $25,000,000 means you own them." The bankers, already on the hook for a significant amount of money under the company's line of credit, are more than willing to explore alternatives to keep the company in business. In some cases, it means continuing to advance money in the hopes things can/will turn around.

This time it seems relations between Sabre and Cadence Bank were beyond reconciliation and the bank moved - quickly- to try and recover as much of their investment as possible.

The fact the bidding process closes at noon on Valentine's Day with the winning bidder/ties notified by 5 p.m. makes it obvious that Cadence is looking to unload and move on. That, of course, is unless there are tie bids. A second go-round will follow immediately thereafter.

Bidding, incidentally, requires a $100,000 deposit -and it's forfeit if a bidder doesn't have the appropriate licenses or the ultimate purchaser fails to close the bid. Full payment is expected by 5 p.m on February 17.

Sabre is primarily known by consumers for its full-line of piston-driven civilian AR-platform rifles.

But Sabre Defence Industries business also manufactures M2 Browning machine gun receivers, M16A3 and M16A4 rifles, M2 bolts, barrel extensions, M60 barrels, M2 heavy barrels, light aircraft barrels and 7.62 mini-gun barrels.

As the company proudly states on their defense website, they are "one of the select few companies in the world to ever be awarded a contract for a Mil-Spec M16 rifle."

All that can be yours, if "Your price is right". Several likely players are already preparing to get in on the auction. They range from obvious major companies to other "boutique" rifle manufacturers looking to expand their presence into both the civilian and LE/Military marketplace. There are, however, many variables that could turn an apparent bargain into a protracted process where it is once again proven that time is money.

You heard it here first, and we're certain there will be a flurry of activity between now and Valentine's Day.

We'll keep you posted.

Flat top or lack thereof does not change the designation - same with the M4.  I've seen variants of both.

It frankly makes no sense to me why they went to an "M16A4" designation for the flat-top with burst, since the M4 and the M16A3 both seem to have morphed into flat-top variants despite their original configuration.

Don't argue with me.  I said the A3 morphed into a flat top.  He is the one that said A3 is iron sights only, thus carry handle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
*ARMY TM 9-1005-319-23&P

The 23&P shows the M16A3 to be a flattop.

Do not however confuse coomercial manufacurers hype with mil nomenclature.

There is no connection.

Just as the current Armalite has no connection with the original Armalite, or if bushamster calls their guns something, it has zero to do with mil nomenclature

And this little non-relevant history lesson has exactly what to do with this thread?

No one was talking about civilian rifles.

BTW, I had no idea that ArmaLite wasn't the same company as the '60s.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sabre Defense was doing more than guys taking guns home. Institutionally the company was shipping guns overseas hidden with other cargo, and cooking the books to cover it.

ATF shut down the plant and several Brits and US citizens went to jail over this. The company was rotten through and through

That's how I remember it as well.

It's a shame because Sabre was one of the few companies that marketed ARs over here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:43:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Sabre Defense was not about a few guts stealing small parts...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. —NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - An Alabama company has bought the assets of a Nashville weapons manufacturer whose former owner and operators face federal charges of illegally exporting weapon parts overseas.

Manroy USA, headquartered in Scottsboro, Ala., finalized the $4.95 million deal this week in a federal bankruptcy court auction for Sabre Defence Industries, LLC, which has current contracts with the military to provide parts for the .50 caliber M2 Browning machine guns and M16 rifles.

An indictment unsealed in February said the British owner of Sabre, Guy Savage, directed his employees in Tennessee to illegally export firearms components to the United Kingdom. Savage was arrested and is facing an extradition hearing in England on March 29.

Manroy outbid major firearms manufacturer Colt Defense, LLC for Sabre's assets. According to bankruptcy files, Sabre had gross revenues of $14.6 million for the last three quarters of 2010.

Manroy President John Owens said the purchase of the Nashville factory will help his small business of just 15 employees expand into the firearms manufacturing market. The company is also looking to take over Sabre's defense contracts, he said.

"Hopefully within a few weeks, we can begin production on the defense contracts," he said.

Owens said they are starting to call back Sabre employees who were laid off, but he said since most of the factory's top officials have been indicted, there will likely be a learning curve to restarting production.

"The entire front line of management is not there to help you understand what you just bought," he said.

Meanwhile, investigators from Scotland Yard and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are sorting through seized evidence from Savage's home and a factory for Savage's related company, Sabre Defence Industries LTD, based in Northolt, England.

Sabre filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in February after the grand jury returned the indictments against Savage and four employees in Tennessee. Those indicted are Charles Shearon, 55, who was president of the company in Tennessee; Chief Financial Officer Elmer Hill, 64; Director of Sales Michael Curlett, 44; and Arnold See Jr., 54, who was the international shipping and purchasing manager.

Attorneys for the four did not return messages or declined to comment when reached by The Associated Press.

According to the indictment, between 2003 and 2009, Sabre officials were accused of smuggling hundreds of weapons parts, including 5.56 mm rifle assemblies, .223 caliber rifle assemblies, AR-15 bolt catches and A-2 flash hiders, all of which require a license to export.

The indictment says the officials were hiding the weapons parts in false bottoms of containers and maintaining two sets of records to hide their exports. In a 2004 e-mail described in the indictment from Savage to Hill and Shearon, Savage explained there was a big interest in the weapons as the war in Iraq started heating up. But he said he didn't want U.S. bureaucrats telling him how to run his business.

"This Iraq situation has companies banging on our doors for M16s because we are the only supplier outside the US..." he wrote.

ATF officials have been investigating the company since 2009 and searched and seized evidence from the Nashville factory in 2010. Federal officials in the U.S. reached out to Scotland Yard to arrest Savage in February and take evidence from the British factory.

Sgt. Nathan Coutts, from the International Assistance Unit of Scotland Yard, described the Sabre case as one of the largest international weapons trafficking cases his office has worked on.

"This is without a doubt the biggest one we've ever done," Coutts said. "We probably had upward of 100 police officers deployed on the day in addition to the ATF agents that have come over as well."

ATF Special Agent in Charge Glenn "Andy" Anderson praised the work of his agents and investigators overseas in working together on the case.

"In all of these types of cases, our main objective is to protect the public," Anderson said. "Anytime there are times when guns are being manufactured, imported or trafficked, it can get into the stream of the public, get out into the streets. In this particular case, I think there were opportunities where that could have happened."

Anderson declined to comment on where investigators think the gun parts were going after being exported.

Coutts has traveled to Tennessee with the seized evidence, which has to be sorted through and analyzed.

"We've got a huge amount of data to go through," Coutts said. "Because the ATF has put so many resources into this and I've got my team coming out as well, we hope to get this knocked out in about a week or two."

Coutts said Savage has been released on bail and his passport has been seized, but he said the process could take a while because Savage can appeal if he is ordered to be extradited to Tennessee to face the federal charges.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/mar/22/company-buys-tenn-gun-maker-under-investigation/#ixzz2IcZWBz26
- vcstar.com
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They ought to use a Geissele SSF.

That'd be nice.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#13]
An M16A5 just as Colt releases a civilian version of the M16A4 at SHOT, that's that shit I don't like
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Should just replace all of them with the M27's. They are fucking awesome. They shold have replaced all M16/M4's with M27's and adopted a new beltfed. They are even thinking of replacing Mk12's with the M27

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ZEROTHOMAS/IMG_2538_zpsf34fc869.jpg

Combat Hunter?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#15]
The corps jumped the shark here
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Its better then before but probably should have just gone with the M27.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't argue with me.  I said the A3 morphed into a flat top.  He is the one that said A3 is iron sights only, thus carry handle.

You have issues.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sabre Defense was doing more than guys taking guns home. Institutionally the company was shipping guns overseas hidden with other cargo, and cooking the books to cover it.

ATF shut down the plant and several Brits and US citizens went to jail over this. The company was rotten through and through

It was gun parts allegedly, not complete firearms.
Nobody has gone to jail over this yet.
There was only one Brit BTW, he's still fighting extradition.

It's a shame that Sabre closed and nobody bought their equipment or re-opened their Nashville plant.

Their barrels were very accurate.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was gun parts allegedly, not complete firearms.

Nobody has gone to jail over this yet.

There was only one Brit BTW, he's still fighting extradition.

It's a shame that Sabre closed and nobody bought their equipment or re-opened their Nashville plant.

Their barrels were very accurate.

I'm led to believe that someone did buy their facility.

I think Manroy USA now owns it.

Manroy Engineering are a British company that make a version of the Mag 58/M240 GPMG and also make a version of the Browning M2 but with a quick change barrel (QCB) system.

They sell this system to the US Mil.

Did they just give up on the "civilian" market?

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#22]
A 600 dollar upper? Damn.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have issues.

Really?  You quoted me.  You said what I said, but sounded like you were correcting me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#24]
None of the M16A3s I was ever issued was a flattop. Carry handle only.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#25]
LarryG, thanks for the update, I hadn't known that.

The auto trigger group should be in everything that doesn't have a match trigger.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The auto trigger group should be in everything that doesn't have a match trigger.

Like you said earlier, get both with the SSF.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like you said earlier, get both with the SSF.

The cost would be significant, even more so than the SSA or S2S.  I don't see that kind of advance in procurement outside of SOCOM.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have issues.

Really?  You quoted me.  You said what I said, but sounded like you were correcting me.

No, I was agreeing with you.  That's sure what it looks like to me.

Pat_Rogers was not arguing with you either, but just look at how you responded to his post.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Should just replace all of them with the M27's. They are fucking awesome. They shold have replaced all M16/M4's with M27's and adopted a new beltfed. They are even thinking of replacing Mk12's with the M27

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ZEROTHOMAS/IMG_2538_zpsf34fc869.jpg

Cost too much and H&K does not have the production capability to make the guns in a reasonable time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have issues.

No, I was agreeing with you.  That's sure what it looks like to me.

Pat_Rogers was not arguing with you either, but just look at how you responded to his post.

Sorry.

However, my response to him was about the bullshit he threw in that was irrelevant to this thread.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm kind of surprised they didn't go for a piston upper to match their M27.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I think I found a picture of the real deal here....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8351/8404271480_d0ff575a8a_b.jpg
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#35]
At the SHOT Show, Vltor had the KeyMod "KMA5" VIS upper on display. I think this is what MARCORSYSCOM is going after:

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't believe the info is 100 percent accurate; all the previous prototypes of the M16A4 and M4 PIPs have used the same free floating handguards
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think I found a picture of the real deal here....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8351/8404271480_d0ff575a8a_b.jpg

Not even close...

Quoted:
At the SHOT Show, Vltor had the KeyMod "KMA5" VIS upper on display. I think this is what MARCORSYSCOM is going after:

http://sigforum.com/movedimages/para/SHOT_13/IMG_7934_VLTOR_MONO.jpg

That looks delicious.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Sources inside the Marine Corps indicate that the Corps has bucked the other branches of the service and plans to continue and further the use of rifle length M16 family firearms

We borrowed weapons from a Marine battery last week, and all they had was M4s.

Is there a formula for what kind of unit get what weapon?

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't believe the info is 100 percent accurate; all the previous prototypes of the M16A4 and M4 PIPs have used the same free floating handguards

The RIS2 would be a much better choice, though it could stand to have its own PIP already.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#44]
At the rate they're going a twelve man rifle squad will be equipped with thirteen different weapons platforms.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sources inside the Marine Corps indicate that the Corps has bucked the other branches of the service and plans to continue and further the use of rifle length M16 family firearms

We borrowed weapons from a Marine battery last week, and all they had was M4s.

Is there a formula for what kind of unit get what weapon?

The standard issue rifle for the US Marine is an M16A4 MWS, people who use to rate M9s (officers, SNCOS and crew served weapons crews) now rate an M4 carbine instead of a pistol.  Units were allowed to keep pistols as required weapons, so now most SNCOs and Officers are dual armed.  

That battery has both M4s and A4s.  I signed for them years ago when they were new weapons.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So it's just a rear BUIS on a railed monolithic upper and a buffer tube and stock for $1200?

To the military, it makes more sense to upgrade a gun for $1200 or more each than to buy a new purpose built gun for less.

See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_14_Enhanced_Battle_Rifle

Edit: I thought the stocks were much more costly. i found a site that has them for less than $800. I could have swore they cost a lot more than that when I first read about the EBR procurement.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it's just a rear BUIS on a railed monolithic upper and a buffer tube and stock for $1200?

To the military, it makes more sense to upgrade a gun for $1200 or more each than to buy a new purpose built gun for less.

See this:

The problem is the purpose built gun will end up costing more, and since it is a new procurement it will have to go through the acquisitions cycle. Meaning all kinds of shenanigans can and will happen,
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See this:

The problem is the purpose built gun will end up costing more, and since it is a new procurement it will have to go through the acquisitions cycle. Meaning all kinds of shenanigans can and will happen,

It may not necessarily end up costing more, but the procurement issue is the problem with the military that I mentioned. They will spend more money and get less bang for the buck because it's the path of least resistance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#50]
The Marine Corps did look at fielding new guns, and purpose built guns would cost a little under 3x more than the upgrades
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top