View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We couldn't build another one of those today if our lives depended on it
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is there always a newer locomotive behind it?
View Quote

because it is what is really powering the train, notice no steam or smoke coming from the steam engine? They are probably just moving it and they don't have the infrastructure to operate steam engines anymore. Looks good though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Now that’s rolling coal in style.
View Quote

Yeah I can’t believe they let that thing operate anywhere in California.

FOAMER THREAD
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What a beauty of precision....badass
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#7]
That is truly awesome!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You serious Clark?

Then how did they build them before?

It just wouldn't be cost effective and probably cost more than a modern locomotive ($3 million).
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
what power is pushing it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Trains are big and black and smokin' steam, screamin' at the wheels
Bigger than anything they is, at least that's the way she feels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an-3RsZxJaE

My grandfather on my father's side was a railroad engineer.

1920-1960; have his Illinois train watch.

He paid fifty dollars for it in 1919.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Steam?

That's what it sounds like anyway.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like one of Metrolinks F59PHI locomotives, you can go out the side or there's a walkway from the cab next to the engine, then out the back door.

They've been replacing them for newer locomotives.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm still skeptical.  After all, it is fucking California.  No steam visible in any of the valving near the connecting rods.  And fuel oil isn't that clean.  I'd be willing to wager they're just burning enough fuel to keep the boiler pressurized for the whistle, and the diesel is providing most, if not all, of the tractive effort.
View Quote

Steam powered ships didn't smoke once up to temp unless they wanted to.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The BIG BOY needs a DIESEL HELPER? Why?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Choo choo motherfuckers!
View Quote

This made me laugh more than it probably should have.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That think was hauling ASS!
View Quote

I think it was getting pushed by the locomotive behind it, if it was actually doing that speed all on it's own there'd be more smoke coming out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Because a lot of train guys are pretty weird, I remember reading about foamers even early back during the victorian era. There's something about them that brings about a level of autism beyond other hobbies.
View Quote

There was a train guy with a camera on a tripod with a big external microphone standing next to our rural road RR crossing the other day, completely in the middle of nowhere, with a license plate from halfway across the country. They are different.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Backup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Backup.

From an FAQ about the 4014 Big Boy, and I suspect the same is true with this engine:
Q: Why is a diesel with Big Boy 4014?
A: The diesel serves many purposes. Its dynamic braking saves brake shoes. Its power provides a boost that saves on No. 4014 fuel stops. It’s a much-preferred power source in tunnels. And if Big Boy were disabled on the main line, the diesel could still move the train. In 2021, the diesel is also a part of the Positive Train Control safety system for No. 4014.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
My favorite thing about this video is all the people with there smart cars and current tech vehicles slowing down and staring directly at that fucking monster of engineering hauling ass down the freeway at freeway speeds pulling a fucking state behind it…
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There was a train guy with a camera on a tripod with a big external microphone standing next to our rural road RR crossing the other day, completely in the middle of nowhere, with a license plate from halfway across the country. They are different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because a lot of train guys are pretty weird, I remember reading about foamers even early back during the victorian era. There's something about them that brings about a level of autism beyond other hobbies.

It's a rare thing.  

If you have never seen big iron alive then you should if given the chance.  An oil converted steamer does not make a lot of smoke.  The Diesels are used for electrical power and dynamic braking power.  They generally don't do any pushing.  

I have been lucky enough to have seen a few steamers run in my life.  It is worth it every time.

I have seen UP 4014,  SP 4449, Soo 1003, NW 611 and MR 261.  

This is the only vid I have up right now.  

One of these days I will post up the other vids I have.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]
The diesel is there for electrical.

Airliner has it's version too.

We called them fucking kooks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Beautiful piece of Americana.  I like the description of it as "mechanical poetry".  
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm still skeptical.  After all, it is fucking California.  No steam visible in any of the valving near the connecting rods.  And fuel oil isn't that clean.  I'd be willing to wager they're just burning enough fuel to keep the boiler pressurized for the whistle, and the diesel is providing most, if not all, of the tractive effort.
View Quote

I thought so too, but you would be able to clearly hear the big diesel if it was pushing. All you can hear is the steamer chuffing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's a rare thing.  

If you have never seen big iron alive then you should if given the chance.  An oil converted steamer does not make a lot of smoke.  The Diesels are used for electrical power and dynamic braking power.  They generally don't do any pushing.  

I have been lucky enough to have seen a few steamers run in my life.  It is worth it every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiqTylLRKfU

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a rare thing.  

There was no steam engine coming through, just a normal daily freight run.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it CARB compliant?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is steam, you can see the wavy air at times.  If you mean there is no black smoke, it's because it is at speed, high a light load and burning efficiently.  Steam locomotives produce black smoke under acceleration and heavy load. Also at shows, often on purpose.

The black smoke is unburned or partially combusted fuel.  No smoke is good.
View Quote

And it doesn’t use coal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#27]
That’s sweet!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a rare thing.  

?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is it CARB compliant?
View Quote

Pre smog bro. You can engine swap whatever you want in to it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Air and electric power for everything on the rest of the train.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's because steam only leaves the cylinders when the cocks are open to drain water, like when it's been sitting. Otherwise they're closed and the exhaust steam runs up the stack to help draw air into the boiler. Watch the top of the boiler. You can see steam from the dynamo. You don't see a lot of black smoke because the fireman is doing his job. This loco was converted to oil long ago, because there aren't large supplies of coal out west. On the front of SP 745's tender there's a stencil that says "black smoke is wasted fuel" to remind the train crew to be mindful of how the boiler is running.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I wonder if there is a warning label on that locomotive stating it is known to causes cancer in California?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because you want the old girl to get warmed up and get her juices flowing but you don't want to put too much stress on her.

There isn't the practical infrastructure to deal with a steam locomotive still in place.

There is no parts bin, there aren't crews with the proper tools in the next city and there aren't fuel stations every so many miles to refill the train.

If anything breaks, the team on board has to attempt to repair in place.

There are probably a ton of other considerations, with the old lady, so it's best to be show her off while being gentle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Choo choo motherfuckers!
View Quote

You bet!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) only allows engines with a Positive Train Control System to operate on the Class 1 mainline that explains the diesel. Very few exemptions are given.

For Example, TVRM is running the Summerville Special with 630 and 4501 on i think Class 2 trackage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Machines are neat in general. Trains, tractors, big construction equipment, ships, oil rigs. What’s not to appreciate?

I’m not into steam as much, show me the diesels.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Machines are neat in general. Trains, tractors, big construction equipment, ships, oil rigs. What’s not to appreciate?

I’m not into steam as much, show me the diesels.
View Quote

Do you like Alco switchers? I have plenty of pictures.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#39]
It’s all fun and games until you see the fema box cars hooked up to the back.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:11:05 AM EDT
[#40]
3642, 3016, 6029, 5917, four train parallel run.

3642, 3016, 6029, 5917, four train parallel run

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a group in Britain that's built two and they're working on another.  https://www.a1steam.com/
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I can't remember how old that is but thanks for reposting
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There's a group in Britain that's built two and they're working on another.  https://www.a1steam.com/
View Quote

neat, is it period correct? are they more reliable and efficient?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 2:21:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's because steam only leaves the cylinders when the cocks are open to drain water, like when it's been sitting. Otherwise they're closed and the exhaust steam runs up the stack to help draw air into the boiler. Watch the top of the boiler. You can see steam from the dynamo. You don't see a lot of black smoke because the fireman is doing his job. This loco was converted to oil long ago, because there aren't large supplies of coal out west. On the front of SP 745's tender there's a stencil that says "black smoke is wasted fuel" to remind the train crew to be mindful of how the boiler is running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was certainly steam from the whistle when they blew it.  My understanding is that they have to clear condensation out of the lines to the cylinders periodically, but she was warmed up on a hot day, so probably not much condenstion. There was a little smoke around 6:00 - 7:00, but she wasn't working very hard.  California's sensitivity and not wanting to wear things out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361372/New-Jersey-Underway-2232_jpeg-2943886.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361372/New-Jersey-Underway-2232_jpeg-2943886.JPG

That's  not a Wind class  cutter!
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 2:44:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it CARB compliant?

after smog and forever more.
You must call CARB and whoever else before you fire off those leaking Fairbanks Morris behemoths,  16 cylinders, opposed pistons,  sadist in their day, absolut terrorists/masochistic in the modern, age.

I grew up on them, EMD's dirty and clean Dirty D's and a few Cummings. So glad I took the side road in my career path.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 3:03:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Saturn V of its era.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 3:09:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There was certainly steam from the whistle when they blew it.  My understanding is that they have to clear condensation out of the lines to the cylinders periodically, but she was warmed up on a hot day, so probably not much condenstion. There was a little smoke around 6:00 - 7:00, but she wasn't working very hard.  California's sensitivity and not wanting to wear things out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blowing out was preffed on the ancient ship's that served on , just after midnight out of sight and away from  the pier. With the captains permission.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top