BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

geez that looks like something out of hollywood...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd like to see this frame-by-frame.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes. He is our president.

Remember he has access to intel way above our level. It caught me off guard that he flat out said the consensus was it was an attack and not accident.
View Quote

He is also known to talk completely out of his ass, fairly regularly. Lol
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Once the pressure wave hit and the debris started raining down, I suspect that this video went from being a documentary to a snuff film.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess the upside is, they don't need to worry about any secondary boobytraps before they move in to examine the site.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

that seriously looks rigged fire works do not sympathetic detonate, for for fire works to movs right to left like in this video there nust be time fuse involved
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It took 28 seconds for the shockwave to arrive
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interesting. No pipeline and no obvious chemical storage tanks. Maybe a ship itself went off unless they were storing ordinance in those warehouses which probably isn't kosher.
View Quote
There was a huge silo-building right there before the explosion...which isn't there afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why is it that airbursts (nuclear and otherwise) cause so much more damage than a ground detonation?  I’ve never really seen that explained well.
View Quote

Grab a flashlight.  Turn it on.  Hold it an inch from a surface and look at the illuminated area.  Now hold it a foot from the same surface and compare the illuminated area.

Now think about the photons being heat, pressure, and fragmentation.  And, in the case of a nuke, add-in radiation and the EM pulse.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why is it that airbursts (nuclear and otherwise) cause so much more damage than a ground detonation?  I’ve never really seen that explained well.
View Quote

ground detonation: large proportion of the explosive energy goes to digging the crater
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
So I guess the is the largest explosion IN a major city since Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Plenty will want to study the after effects.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting. No pipeline and no obvious chemical storage tanks. Maybe a ship itself went off unless they were storing ordinance in those warehouses which probably isn't kosher.
View Quote
There was a huge silo-building right there before the explosion...which isn't there afterwards.

Puts me to mind of the explosion at the fertilizer plant at West, Texas a few years back.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Trump said moments ago during his presser that “generals, great generals” believe that the Beirut explosion was “an attack” and not a warehouse accident.
View Quote
Now is not the time for POTUS to be on Twitter.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He is also known to talk apparently completely out of his ass, fairly regularly but is usually proven correct over time. Lol
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtoZsvhWoAA3fX9.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eely-RtXsAkvf5V.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtoZsvhWoAA3fX9.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eely-RtXsAkvf5V.jpg

Its still there, just damaged.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ground detonation: large proportion of the explosive energy goes to digging the crater
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. We did all kinds of nuclear tests to understand optimum detonation altitudes. Ground detonation doesn’t put the energy where it’s needed for maximum destruction.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Video of Shockwave in tweet
View Quote

wow wee woah!  That's so big!  
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Witnesses have stressed the sheer enormity of the blast, which was heard 125 miles away in Cyprus, and likened it to a 'nuclear bomb'.

It obliterated the immediate surrounding buildings, where firefighters were still battling flames last night, and even inflicted damage on districts miles away from the blast site.

General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim said: 'It appears that there is a warehouse containing material that was confiscated years ago, and it appears that it was highly explosive material.'  

Lebanon's interior minister said ammonium nitrate had been stored in the unit since 2014, with experts agreeing that the chemical would cause the red plume of smoke which burst up from the blast.

Local media are reporting that 2,700 tonnes of the chemical exploded, which scientists making initial calculations said was about three kilotonnes of TNT - roughly a fifth of the Little Boy atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in the Second World War.

A 'strange smell' at the port has apparently led officials to instruct civilians to leave for fear of any harmful toxins.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab vowed in a televised address that 'those responsible for this catastrophe will pay the price,' and declared Wednesday a day of national mourning.  

More
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

that seriously looks rigged fire works do not sympathetic detonate, for for fire works to movs right to left like in this video there nust be time fuse involved
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was MUCH closer than 100 meters. Maybe ~50 feet from the building that blew up.

This is the filming location, north west corner of the silo standing near the pipe.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So I guess the is the largest explosion IN a major city since Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

View Quote

The Texas City disaster happened in 1947.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This happened in a similar port city in China, and it might have been bigger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Tianjin_explosions

PEPCON was pretty epic, and it happened pretty close to Vegas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

You may well be correct, just throwing out some other possible challengers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Which is why strictly just 2700 tons of Ammonium nitrate doesn't seem very plausible. That's enough to make a huge explosion. But this was like a tactical nuke level explosion.
View Quote

There is no delivery device/bomb other than a nuke that could be delivered by an aircraft or missile.  

I still think it was hidden storage or rocket fuel for scuds or like missiles.  That orange cloud is a huge tell.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Badly damaged.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's equivalent of 1.1kt of TNT I do believe.

Everyone I ever knew that hailed from that city was generally a good shit.  Sad day for them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a feeling we aren't going to get the truth to what it really was.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Holy shnikes. Wow.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#26]
3 kilotons can do an awful lot of damage.  Especially if the silos directed the blast into the city.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He was MUCH closer than 100 meters. Maybe ~50 feet from the building that blew up.

This is the filming location, north west corner of the silo standing near the pipe.

https://i.imgur.com/ml7X8Vc.png

https://i.imgur.com/GwVHC3l.png

View Quote

Phones are impressively hard to destroy via overpressure.

ETA:

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#28]

cool gif
Needs a no beans in chili tag
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#29]
soooooooo, was this fireworks or an attack?

any link to what trump said?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

correct me if im wrong (in a civilian) but is there any non-nuclear device that could make an explosion like that? im guess no. ammonium nitrate will probably be a player in this disaster. as soon as i heard about it i though of the texas city disaster.

i wonder if that blast was bigger than something like a davy crocket nuke or artillery nuke.

the videos of that explosion is downright horrifying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I keep watching different videos. Shit is crazy.

correct me if im wrong (in a civilian) but is there any non-nuclear device that could make an explosion like that? im guess no. ammonium nitrate will probably be a player in this disaster. as soon as i heard about it i though of the texas city disaster.

i wonder if that blast was bigger than something like a davy crocket nuke or artillery nuke.

the videos of that explosion is downright horrifying.

Several things were cooking off before the large explosion. Probably 10-20 items, ordnance or fireworks.

Upon review of the nearby video, it looks like a fire, then deflagration, small explosions and then boom.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This happened in a similar port city in China, and it might have been bigger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Tianjin_explosions

PEPCON was pretty epic, and it happened pretty close to Vegas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

You may well be correct, just throwing out some other possible challengers.
View Quote

Tianjin was only 29% the equivalent of Beirut and Pepcon second blast was about 1 kt, an estimated 1/3 of this event..
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Grab a flashlight.  Turn it on.  Hold it an inch from a surface and look at the illuminated area.  Now hold it a foot from the same surface and compare the illuminated area.

Now think about the photons being heat, pressure, and fragmentation.  And, in the case of a nuke, add-in radiation and the EM pulse.
View Quote

Thank you!  That’s a good analogy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that was not actually in the city, it was in the industrial/oil refinery/port area.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Being that the explosion happened on a pier over a body of water, how much (if any) would that have amplified the effects/shockwave?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#35]
So the jews did not do this?

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There were obviously foreworks going off in the smoke.  And those set off the ANFO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There were obviously foreworks going off in the smoke.  And those set off the ANFO.
View Quote

or hezbola rockets going off in place.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not 100% correct. TM added fuel to the AN to make ANFO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt theirs was slurried with nitromethane.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#41]
#tinfoil

Someone was planning on doing something very bad with all that ANFO and the Joos beat them to the punch.
I'm not an explosives expert or even close.  But I have to imagine that storing that much dangerous chemical in an unsecured location wasn't an accident.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#42]

SpaceX crew dragon failure.  Note the color of the smoke.

That was a ROCKET FUEL explosion.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Jesus...  judging by the aftermatch photos and highrises that were completely gutted, the death toll has to be thousands.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Now would be a good time for the US to send aid or medivac injured folks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And, if that explosion had been an airburst a thousand or so feet above the ground, the damage would have been far, far worse.

For a nuclear weapon, it's a fairly precise calculation balancing fireball and overpressure effects.  It's been a while since I've done the calcs, and I'm separated from my notes at the moment, so I regret that I can't walk you through it right now.  The calculation is especially critical in the special, and unlikely case of a neutron bomb [not unlikely as in today's occurrence, but unlikely in any, because they aren't what people think they are]  - the calculations show that there is such a narrow doughnut envelope between the thermal/pressure and neutron radiation envelopes, that the pop-culture descriptions of neutron bomb effects are grossly exaggerated.  And then there's the secondary effect of the neutron radiation activating otherwise stable isotopes in the building materials, turning them into lasting radiation sources, that the city would be a deadly ghost town for decades.  Nobody is going to detonate a neutron bomb, clear out the bodies, and move into the abandoned city and create a new paradise.  It's fiction.

The fireball, thermal radiation, and overpressure envelopes of nuclear weapons are more than enough to get the job done.  No need to overcomplicate matters.  

Getting back to the airburst concept: with respect to overpressure, ground interactions and shock reflections lessen the effects of the primary overpressure, so raising the point of the explosion helps to maximize the overpressure effects, but raising it too high reduces the overpressure effects.  It's a balance.

One of the things that lessened the severity of this explosion is that half of the hemisphere was more or less empty sea, rather than high rises.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ml7X8Vc.png

https://i.imgur.com/GwVHC3l.png

ETA:

That AN has been in there a long time. There is a LOT of dust/dirt on the tops of those bags.

Kinda backs up the seized ship story.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuckin A it does..... nuts
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#48]
So what happened?  Did the goat fuckers loose an IED factory?

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s because it was Iranian rocket and bomb parts for their proxies.

Soleimani looked after a lot of things, very effectively. There will be more of this until it’s all burned down.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like others said, its all about where you put the energy. If you can burst it above ground level, that energy gets to spread outwards rather than digging down. If you really want to get into a rabbit hole of information, check out "Nuclear Vault" and "Periscope Films" channels on Youtube on the nuclear testing we did. Lots of good information to be gathered there, and while searching check out information on the development of the MOAB. It is also designed to detonate for maximum overpressure by "airburst" in the sense it detonates above the surface rather than relying on digging in. Plus with nuclear devices, explosions on the surface kick up more fallout and debris compared to an airburst.

I seem to recall airburst had some weird pressure waves with it due to being directed down and then it would meet the outward ones, but I could be confusing the ones they tested submerged targets that had reflections off the ocean floor.
Page / 51
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top