Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think there's been any fires in the semi recent history that have been that high. 100 years ago sure there was a bunch of them.
Maybe I'm wrong if I am I would love to know.
But I don't think there's been any fires in the last several decades that have been a thousand people in this country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google says the paradise fire of 2018 killed 85 people. Still I get your point maybe it's worse than I thought.

I might be foggy on my names, I thought one of the bigger fire events from the last 5 years had a very high fatality rate, I thought I remember reading into the hundreds of people died, maybe I’m wrong on that.

Outside of paradise and camp fire is there one I’m missing? I remember videos posted of entire cul de sac of people who never made it out alive, now that I’m not in fire anymore I’m not as up to date on my incidents like I used to be. Not trying to spread bullshit

I don't think there's been any fires in the semi recent history that have been that high. 100 years ago sure there was a bunch of them.
But I don't think there's been any fires in the last several decades that have been a thousand people in this country.

Upper midwest 1871, I think.  Chicago part of it is what is remebered.  But the fires were huge in extent in the upper midwest and thousands were killed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Jesus, your fire resources are so over extended right now with all of that going on, and there’s no easy way to get more fire resources there at all
View Quote

The winds died down and are back to normal today and helicopters are able to make water drops.  Fires are still burning in multiple areas, but it's stable now compared to when the winds were gusting.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The winds died down and are back to normal today and helicopters are able to make water drops.  Fires are still burning in multiple areas, but it's stable now compared to when the winds were gusting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus, your fire resources are so over extended right now with all of that going on, and there’s no easy way to get more fire resources there at all

That's great.

I heard some rain came today which helped.

I've reached out to the Maui Rugby Team to see how they are doing and extended an offer of help from afar, if that possible from the mainland.

They have always been good to me and welcomed me like family whenever I show up.  Hell, they begged me to play in the state tournament on my wedding day.  Lol.  Good people that need help.  They are sleeping in cars and shelters now.

Anyone here on Maui, let us know if there is anything we can do.  The power of Arfcom is incredible.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We even had a little rain over here on Kahoolawe.

We were supposed to come off by helicopter tomorrow but the birds are still being used for water drops.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Happy to report that I've spoken to my family out there, and they are safe and sound.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Any credibility to this?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CBKNEWS121/status/1689692087338549250/photo/1[/tweet]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any credibility to this?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CBKNEWS121/status/1689692087338549250?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1689692087338549250%7Ctwgr%5E63c418690d55b32681db7b52b042cf2a6aa30b70%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpatriots.win%2Fnew%3Ffrom%3D16c243FxR6[/tweet]
View Quote

you should be banned for even thinking that was real.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't followed this at all.  Thought the pic might be real but some optical effect making it look like that?

What started it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any credibility to this?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CBKNEWS121/status/1689692087338549250/photo/1[/tweet]
View Quote

I have seen the conspiracies about forest fires being started by chinese space lasers. That is some high grade woowoo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow, some of you really need to think before you post.  

The first reply ITT.   WTF is wrong with you.  A lot of people died, probably some kids.    
View Quote
I am probably the least empathic person going, but even I recognize a lot of things are better not said. People are suffering. Have some fucking decorum.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Some of the responses in this thread disgust me
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I haven't followed this at all.  Thought the pic might be real but some optical effect making it look like that?

What started it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What started it?

High wind+powerlines.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did the fire start yesterday? The damage is unbelievable since the first post. I pray most people got out of harms way.
View Quote
High winds have a way of making fire really bad. This all seems like a perfect storm.  The images look apocalyptic. Very sad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Of course they won’t mention the history of agriculture o. That side of the island, Lahaina was surrounded by sugar cane crops that were irrigated, they replaced natural brush to grow the crops and when they stopped growing the crops they didn’t manage the land and just let grass grow wild.
Major fire hazard and it hit Lahaina hard, if the sugar Cain was still growing this probbably would not have happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's driving Maui's devastating fires, and how climate change is fueling those conditions

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfires-climate-change-92c0930be7c28ec9ac71392a83c87582

They can't help themselves.
Never let a crisis...

Of course they won’t mention the history of agriculture o. That side of the island, Lahaina was surrounded by sugar cane crops that were irrigated, they replaced natural brush to grow the crops and when they stopped growing the crops they didn’t manage the land and just let grass grow wild.
Major fire hazard and it hit Lahaina hard, if the sugar Cain was still growing this probbably would not have happened.

You can thank NAFTA and cheap Mexican cane super, add EPA regulations and all the mainlander who bought a place next to the cane field and got pissed and filed complaints to every alphabet agency the state and Feds had when the plantations would burn the fields to harvest.  Now add the state that declared every hole in the ground that held water be a dam regulated by the state that forced the land owners to drain all the irrigation pond that dotted the fields
The one thing the plantations were experts at was putting out brush fires, they had crews on standby, plus tons of heavy equipment they could roll out quick to cut fire breaks
They kept the Central Valley and westside green and maintained fire breaks
If you came to Maui 30 years ago everywhere was green with sugar cane, now it dry gone fallow and over grown

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am thinking the military, navy, could send over lots of support for firefighting.  How many damage controlmen could the get in helicopters and get out there fast.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank God.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Lahaina, Pulehu and Upcountry Maui Fires Combined Update No. 13, 10:30 a.m..: A wildfire that caused widespread damage in Lahaina town was reported to be 80 percent contained this morning, after the Fire Department reported making progress in fighting the Lahaina fire and fires in Pulehu and Upcountry Maui.

In Lahaina, firefighting crews further secured the perimeter of wildland areas that burned. That effort is continuing today, along with patrolling areas where structures burned. Civil Air Patrol flyovers Wednesday of the Lahaina town area showed that more than 270 structures were impacted by the fire.

The Pulehu fire, in an area mauka of Kihei, was reported to be 70 percent contained this morning, after heavy equipment was used to create firebreaks through the night. Firefighters are continuing to secure the perimeter this morning.

A containment percentage for the fire Upcountry is pending further assessment this morning. Firefighting efforts focused on two main areas of Olinda and Upper Kula. Firefighting crews are continuing efforts to protect structures and extinguish smoldering hot spots. State forestry workers were leading the firefighting effort in the Olinda area. On the Kula side, the fire is most active in gulches that are difficult to access.

Entry into Lahaina remains restricted while the firefighting effort continues, with Lahaina-bound vehicles being stopped on Honoapiilani Highway at Ma?alaea. Honoapiilani Highway is open for traffic leaving West Maui. Motorists can also leave West Maui through Waihe?e. Only Kahakuloa residents may access the village through Waihe?e.

Lahaina remains without power. State and county crews are working to clear roads and other areas of trees and debris.

Buses were sent to the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua and Whalers Village in Ka?anapali this morning to transport visitors to Kahului Airport.

Emergency evacuation shelters at War Memorial Complex in Wailuku, Maui High School in Kahului and Hannibal Tavares Community Center in Pukalani housed about 1,050 people overnight. Another 300 residents and visitors stayed at emergency evacuation shelters opened Wednesday night at King?s Cathedral Maui in Kahului and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Maui Lani. Many of the visitors were taken to Kahului Airport this morning.

Some visitors who took flights from Maui to Honolulu on Wednesday were among 18 people sheltered at the Hawai?i Convention Center on Oahu.
Kahului Airport reported that 1,400 people stayed overnight Wednesday while waiting to take flights departing Maui this morning. Airlines have added additional flights for visitors leaving Maui.

People trying to locate loved ones who may be impacted by the fires can call the American Red Cross hotline at 1-800-733-2767.
County of Maui photos (at link)
View Quote

https://www.facebook.com/countyofmaui/posts/pfbid07Hdo37RewDmtcyYZNT23ofY3FkiqwGA9Cz9Yyy2mhA52p4gR9683FaEEDsYkH8FWl

Aerial images show the devastation in Lahaina after Hawaii fires | AFP
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Happy to report that I've spoken to my family out there, and they are safe and sound.
View Quote

Some good news there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I realize arfcom has limitations on what we can/cannot post, but here’s our local communication plan as of today on how we can help. Mods please edit if I’m crossing the line. I apologize in advance:

Donate to evacuation centers. There are evacuation centers at Hannibal Tavares Community Center, War Memorial Gym, Maui High School, King’s Cathedral Maui, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at Maui Lani Parkway.
War Memorial Complex is open today as a drop-off center for donations for emergency shelters housing fire evacuees on Maui. Non-perishable food, bottled water, hygiene items, and blankets are being accepted. As of 8:30PM last night, they are mostly in need of the following: air mattresses, medical equipment, wheelchairs, gloves, masks, towels for showers, insulin syringes, saline eye drops, wide gauze wraps, and sterile saline for wound irrigation. Those wishing to donate should enter the complex through Kanaloa Avenue and drop off donations at the field on the left. The drop-off center will be open through 6PM today.
Donate or Volunteer at Hawaii Red Cross
The American Red Cross is assisting residents and tourists with shelter and comfort to those affected by the Maui fires. The Red Cross is looking for volunteers to aid Maui. You need to pass a background check. Sign up online so they can process your application ASAP. www.redcross.org/hawaii
Donate to Hawaii Salvation Army
Hawaii Salvation Army will start providing meals for thousands displaced in Maui emergency shelters.  They are asking for monetary donations and large volume meal donations from restaurants and certified kitchens to aid in mass meal service at Maui shelters. Hawaii Salvation Army is saying that making monetary donations is the best way the public can help. All money donated for disaster relief will go to disaster operations. Donations can be made at Hawaii.SalvationArmy.org.
Community Donation Drop-offs:
Items Needed
Water, food, pillows, blankets, towels, baby food, baby formula, diapers, baby wipes, toiletries. Evacuees are reminded that emergency shelters do not provide bedding, toiletries, and personal care items.
Donation locations – Please check with locations for hours.
Sparky’s Restaurant
385 Hoohana Street, Suite 5C, Kahului
Ho’omana Barbell
1826 Kaohu Street, Wailuku
Paia Bay Coffee Bar
120 Hana Hwy., Paia
Restaurant Marlow
30 Kupaoa St A104, Makawao
Restaurant Matsu
161 Alamaha St., Kahului
Donations for Maui Fire Department:
Items Needed
Pre-made (ready-to-eat) foods like protein bars, sandwiches, musubis, nuts, burritos, wraps, cut fruit, water, juice, hydration drinks.
Donation locations
Hi-Tech Store (check location for hours)
425 Koloa St., Kahului
Maluhia Collective from 9AM
1960 Main Street, Wailuku
Boba Bar Paia from 6AM-12PM
2 Baldwin Avenue, Paia
Anytime Fitness Pukalani (845AM-1145AM)
24 Kiopaa St., Makawao
Lumeria Maui (check location for hours)
1814 Baldwin Ave., Makawao
Espresso Mafia Maui (check location for hours)
3617 Baldwin Ave., Makawao
Donate to Hawaiian Council
In partnership with Kako’o Haleakala and the Alaka’ina Foundation Family of Companies, the Hawaiian Council is doing a match campaign. They will match dollar for dollar donations up to $250,000. Donate at hawaiiancouncil.org
The links below are from the County of Maui Website for Monetary Donations:
Donate to Maui United Way
Maui United Way is accepting donations to its Maui Fire and Disaster Relief fund at https://mauiunitedway.org/disasterrelief
Donate to Maui Strong Fund
The Hawai?i Community Foundation started a Maui Strong Fund to support residents affected by the wildfires, which firefighting crews continue to battle in Lahaina, Pulehu/Kihei and Upcountry areas. Donations can be made at www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/maui-strong
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#24]
This is unreal. My wife and I were supposed to go to Maui March 18, 2020. We postponed and went May 2022 and stayed in Kaanapali. We went and walked around Lahaina pretty much every day. It really makes the devastation hit home having pictures to look back at in the same locations before the fire and after.

I know it will never be the same, so much history destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#25]
To all the low IQ, inbred trolls and internet tough guys posting shit about my island, you can go fuck yourselves with a rusty dull knife
I have friends that have lost everything, friends that are missing and the initial death toll was the bodies the found in the water, now they’re find the ones that were trapped in their cars trying to escape, next they’ll do the houses, the death toll is going to rise
To all the hero’s that would have stopped their car to collect a body, see above, the next time you crank up the weber for a cook out , put you hand over the grill and tell me how long you could hold it there, now imagine you’re in the weber
To everyone that has visited Maui, thank you for coming, there are some stupid shit heads that hate tourists but in general we all know that tourism drives our economy,
And are grateful you decided to visit.  Also realize that everyone you met, the Front desk agent, the servers, sale clerks, housekeeping etc has been affected by this fire, ether directly by loss of family, friends or property, or by the economic downturn we are now facing.
The vast majority of visitors are genuinely nice people, but every so often we get a totally entitled fuckface, who expects the world to bend to them and when they get pushback for their behavior, the come here and call us racist, remember that if everyone you meet is a asshole, it’s not them, it you

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Upper midwest 1871, I think.  Chicago part of it is what is remebered.  But the fires were huge in extent in the upper midwest and thousands were killed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google says the paradise fire of 2018 killed 85 people. Still I get your point maybe it's worse than I thought.

I might be foggy on my names, I thought one of the bigger fire events from the last 5 years had a very high fatality rate, I thought I remember reading into the hundreds of people died, maybe I’m wrong on that.

Outside of paradise and camp fire is there one I’m missing? I remember videos posted of entire cul de sac of people who never made it out alive, now that I’m not in fire anymore I’m not as up to date on my incidents like I used to be. Not trying to spread bullshit

Per NFPA...https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Data-research-and-tools/US-Fire-Problem/Catastrophic-multiple-death-fires/Deadliest-fires-and-explosions-in-US-history#:~:text=Deadliest%20fires%20and%20explosions%20in%20U.S.%20history%20,%20%201%2C030%20%2016%20more%20rows%20

As far as recent fires with high death tolls, The Station night club always comes to mind; 100 dead and 230 injured. Pretty horrific for a 10 minute event.

Prayers for all affected in Maui.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Confirmed that my cousin with a pregnant wife and two kids have lost their house and everything they owned.

They are just one of many families who face the challenge of rebuilding.

Oh and for the inbreds from NY, CO and WV celebrating the destruction in HI.
He's a diehard Trump supporter.

View Quote
I am so sorry.

Maui is our favorite island.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Confirmed that my cousin with a pregnant wife and two kids have lost their house and everything they owned.

They are just one of many families who face the challenge of rebuilding.

Oh and for the inbreds from NY, CO and WV celebrating the destruction in HI.
He’s a diehard Trump supporter.
So fuck you, you worthless, ignorant trolls.

View Quote

Not celebrating it here.  I've never been, but I've known some really good people from there.  At least your cousin got out with his family.  Don't know what else to say that isn't trite though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Peshtigo, WI had a really bad fire in 1871.

http://www.peshtigofiremuseum.com/fire/
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
To all the low IQ, inbred trolls and internet tough guys posting shit about my island, you can go fuck yourselves with a rusty dull knife
I have friends that have lost everything, friends that are missing and the initial death toll was the bodies the found in the water, now they’re find the ones that were trapped in their cars trying to escape, next they’ll do the houses, the death toll is going to rise
To all the hero’s that would have stopped their car to collect a body, see above, the next time you crank up the weber for a cook out , put you hand over the grill and tell me how long you could hold it there, now imagine you’re in the weber
To everyone that has visited Maui, thank you for coming, there are some stupid shit heads that hate tourists but in general we all know that tourism drives our economy,
And are grateful you decided to visit.  Also realize that everyone you met, the Front desk agent, the servers, sale clerks, housekeeping etc has been affected by this fire, ether directly by loss of family, friends or property, or by the economic downturn we are now facing.
The vast majority of visitors are genuinely nice people, but every so often we get a totally entitled fuckface, who expects the world to bend to them and when they get pushback for their behavior, the come here and call us racist, remember that if everyone you meet is a asshole, it’s not them, it you

View Quote

We honeymooned on Maui 19 years ago. Go back every five years. Hoping to go back next summer.  Have spent lots of time in Lahaina. It's not our home, but Maui (and Lahaina) hold very special places in our hearts. As I've been looking for updates, I see pictures of familiar places, locations that I instantly recognize.  As much as it hurts my wife and I to see this destruction, I can't imagine the pain you and the rest of your community are going thriugh.

Maui is a beautiful place with a unique culture.  I hope many who have visited in the past will find ways to help you recover and rebuild. If you have recommendations for local charities to donate to, I for one would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There are both warnings.  The north road for us was worse than the nice south road they act like is the worst thing ever.  Did the north road once, the south many times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The warning that rental car companies issue is for the road going southeast of Hana that loops around clockwise and ends up near Makena.  It's not a bad road, but I can see rental companies wanting to avoid idiots getting stranded out there.  I drove it in a rental Lincoln Navigator.  It was a beautiful and fun drive.  The desert is awesome.

There are both warnings.  The north road for us was worse than the nice south road they act like is the worst thing ever.  Did the north road once, the south many times.

We started the north road and got maybe 20 miles or less out of Napilli, my wife said turn this thing around now and get me the F out of here. We where in a Escalade and damn some of the roads were narrow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My wife was living on the Big Island when we met, so I've spent a lot of time there, and we did makes trips to Maui and took our honeymoon there.  So crazy to see these pictures.  So awful.

The rebuild is going to be something, but I wonder what the hell will happen until then and how many people need shelter.  I'm sure the big military presence in Hawaii will be super helpful in the near-term.
View Quote

How do you go about rebuilding a town like Lahaina? So much of that town's charm and appeal was it's historical buildings and other landmarks. It's been sterilized. I hate to think about how it will be rebuilt.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How do you go about rebuilding a town like Lahaina? So much of that town's charm and appeal was it's historical buildings and other landmarks. It's been sterilized. I hate to think about how it will be rebuilt.
View Quote

I think that is going to depend on the number of locals and long-term transplants who might return. It's probably like a small town that gets ravaged by a tornado. If the long-term inhabitants return, the old vibe probably does as well. If investors come in, new vibes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nature sure is strange.

Hopefully the tree survives.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same day as the Chicago fire was the Peshtigo fire, on both sides of Green Bay WI. 1500 - 2500 killed. Several other fires that day in the Midwest. Conditions were ripe.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#40]
My good friend and old boss is one lucky dude. He has two places that appear on that map - on the water - that didn't burn. Amazingly lucky. Unfortunately many of his friends lost everything.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey brother, I’m sorry for the loss and hardship you and your fellow islanders face.  My brother is a Doctor in Maui, his practice is in Kahului and he lives in Pukalani.  He said *EVERYBODY* there knows somebody who has everything.  

He said yesterday he’s hearing possibly more than 1000 dead.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You can thank NAFTA and cheap Mexican cane super, add EPA regulations and all the mainlander who bought a place next to the cane field and got pissed and filed complaints to every alphabet agency the state and Feds had when the plantations would burn the fields to harvest.  Now add the state that declared every hole in the ground that held water be a dam regulated by the state that forced the land owners to drain all the irrigation pond that dotted the fields
The one thing the plantations were experts at was putting out brush fires, they had crews on standby, plus tons of heavy equipment they could roll out quick to cut fire breaks
They kept the Central Valley and westside green and maintained fire breaks
If you came to Maui 30 years ago everywhere was green with sugar cane, now it dry gone fallow and over grown

View Quote

I was in Lahaina 30 years ago and remember the ash rains and burns, those sugar cane fields were green as hell until harvest time, the landscape is very different now

I moved to Lahaina in 1987, I was 4 years old at the time
Moved into a condo at 1403 front st, my family held onto that until 2001 and we lived on lanai for a while in the middle
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Prayers for everyone in Maui.  Been there many times and have some great memories in Lahaina.  Met really good people.  “Bully” the surf instructor who taught our kids was an awesome individual.  His school was in Lahaina.  I hope he is ok.

We will be heading to Kauai this weekend.  Will look for some opportunities to help out once we arrive at the local church. I am sure they will be organizing some aid efforts.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Death toll is up to 53 and will likely rise as they go through the ruins of Lahaina.

On the bright side, wind speeds are down and we are getting back to normal, moist trade winds.

It breaks my heart to see the devastation on that island.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Anyone aware of a contact for the operations branch of what by now is almost certainly a unified command to see if they need experienced responders to come out and help with USAR, medical and/or FD needs? Our place in Kihei survived and I've got the ability to come out but I'm guessing they're still in the keeping their head above water phase of managing this and may not be in a position to coordinate this yet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He said yesterday he’s hearing possibly more than 1000 dead.

View Quote

Do not assume that the reports of 1000 missing means that any of them are dead.   This is a bad situation and people will be "missing" for many reasons.

Don't assume the worst.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone aware of a contact for the operations branch of what by now is almost certainly a unified command to see if they need experienced responders to come out and help with USAR, medical and/or FD needs? Our place in Kihei survived and I've got the ability to come out but I'm guessing they're still in the keeping their head above water phase of managing this and may not be in a position to coordinate this yet.
View Quote

Unfortunately our different county civil defense agencies don't play well with others...especially outsiders.  You'd be better off working with one of the NGOs like Red Cross (who is looking for volunteers) or Salvation Army.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Contact the Medical Reserve Corps.

https://health.hawaii.gov/prepare/mrc/

Also HI-EMA https://dod.hawaii.gov/hiema/contact-us/

Although I could see the above being the case too.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top