Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What’s the current death toll?

Isn’t hawaii rabidly anti gun? What’s even allowed over there these days?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
After talking with my friend, There IS looting happening and not much being done to stop it.  Also told that only 3% of the burned area has been checked with cadaver dogs - they found 30 more bodies this morning.

He's trying to find security to keep watch over his place. Some friends are close by, but can't get to his place yet.

Sigh,

been discussed already.

And WTF does it have to do with the current tragedy?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3cl51QWUAAoWDl?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Zero fricken support so far.

No active military water drops on active fires, NG and civilian companies only.  Still not seeing a stream of C-17s from Cali bringing in relief supplies.

I guess Ukr is a higher priority.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No shit! Fuck those guys. At least check for a pulse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would have taken 30 seconds to get out and drag that lady into the car.  

A lot of similar sentiments in the first few pages and it's surprising to me.

Watch this video of a temperature test done in a wild fire and ask yourself again if you'd want to step outside the car.

Temps spike to 850C (>1500F) in seconds.

That woman was dead and everyone in that car would be too if they stopped.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Watch this video of a temperature test done in a wild fire and ask yourself again if you'd want to step outside the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPa_yEEd4E

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would have taken 30 seconds to get out and drag that lady into the car.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPa_yEEd4E

Sad but true. They had no way of knowing how much time they had to reach safety or whether it was already too late. They had no way of knowing how much time they had before their path out was blocked by burning vehicles or fallen trees and utility poles, or that it wasn't already.

Your responsibility is to you and yours. The car ahead of them was having problems, could possibly stop at any time and doom them as well.
How many cars were behind them as well? Do you stop and put not only the people in your vehicle in jeopardy but everyone behind you as well?

It was a horrible situation to be in. I'm sure they will question their decision to not stop for the rest of their lives, but in that situation it was the only logical choice to make.

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3cl51QWUAAoWDl?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Hawaii is already strongly democrat with no signs of that changing and only has 4 electoral votes.  Nobody in his circle cares enough to tell him what to think about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Rains every day on windward sides of the islands, seldom rains on the leeward sides.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No active military water drops on active fires, NG and civilian companies only.  Still not seeing a stream of C-17s from Cali bringing in relief supplies.

View Quote

The primary priority of bureaucracy is its own survival.   Competence in their stated objectives is somewhere behind brand image.  

It'll really piss you off when they get there and start congratulating themselves.

Bad press will be the strongest motivator, looking at you Ohio train derailment.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Biden, At The Beach, Says "No Comment" When Asked About "Rising Death Toll In Maui"
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dayum!  Those "shelter in place" authorities better pay.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some fucking retarded comments on that twitter post. Holy hell!

But, yes. The "authorities" should be made to pay.

If my family had been burned alive, they'd pay in blood.

That's just a fact.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Members of the FBI's Evidence Response Team are pictured Sunday setting up racks to put inside a refrigerated mobile morgue

A group of volunteers who sailed from Maalaea Bay, Maui, form an assembly line on Kaanapali Beach on Saturday

More
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like California
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#19]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw a link to the FCC communication status report: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-395981A1.pdf

Bunch of cell towers serving the affected areas are out: "The total number of cell sites serving Kapalua, Napili-Honokowai, Kaanapali, Lahaina, Launiupoko, and Olowalu is 21. As of 8/13/23 at 6:00 a.m. (EDT) 19 are out of service."

Note the plot showing initially all 21 were down. This is why you need to have an emergency comms plan with your family/friends/etc. and to have the gear to support that plan that doesn't require local infrastructure to still be working.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure I believe that, or maybe it's just I don't want to believe it...
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
"My source", lol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looking at previous pictures of construction type and density plus the huge homeless population it's definitely well within the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Biden's FEMA Administrator: Biden Has No Current Plans On Schedule To Visit Maui

Biden's FEMA Administrator: Biden Has No Current Plans On Schedule To Visit Maui

He's currently sitting on the beach on vacation. Next week he leaves back on vacation to Lake Tahoe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel the same way, hoping for the best. I don't know who wrote that or how trustworthy she is, saw it on Rantingly and just passed it along.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

In before you’re tagged as Putin puppet?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, this had nothing to do with a volcano.

Learn about the situation before you post something that makes you look ignorant.

That would be like blaming someone in the PNW for being a flood victim now because an ice dam in Missoula broke 18,000 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I feel the same way, hoping for the best. I don't know who wrote that or how trustworthy she is, saw it on Rantingly and just passed it along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

C'mon guys, use some critical thinking skills. Why would some random twitter chick from Boston, with an unnamed "source" who's a storm chaser 0?) have these kinds of details?

We really need to beef up some of ya'lls bullshit detectors.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Gonna hope this is legit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Looks like Kehei.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like you just automatically lose legal ownership of your property, when the dwelling on it burns down. Your homeowner's insurance will (presumably?) cover the cost to rebuild it. They're not going to force you to sell it, when it's done.

Are they talking about rentals maybe?

EDIT: Yeah, they're talking about rentals. I read the linked article, instead of just reading the tweet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like you just automatically lose legal ownership of your property, when the dwelling on it burns down. Your homeowner's insurance will (presumably?) cover the cost to rebuild it. They're not going to force you to sell it, when it's done.

Are they talking about rentals maybe?

EDIT: Yeah, they're talking about rentals. I read the linked article, instead of just reading the tweet.
Someone owns the rentals too.  Will they suddenly not be allowed to rent it, or perhaps banned from any future rentals?  That's going to impact whoever owns it, native or not.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Do we have any list of charities that are vetted and are not democrat back door funds or ones that will only donate marginal amount of money to the efforts here?

Some solid charities that will bring supplies to the area.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Looks like Kehei.
View Quote

Why and how would that look like Kihei just from that pic?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#34]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
C'mon guys, use some critical thinking skills. Why would some random twitter chick from Boston, with an unnamed "source" who's a storm chaser 0?) have these kinds of details?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have missed the part where it says we're not sure it's believable, understandable since it's only the first fucking part of the sentence...
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like Kehei.

Because there are very few towns on the island. Lahaina is practically gone, next down the coast is Kehei, a much more residential area. If you drive around it you wouldn’t know you were in Hawaii other than the palm trees and roaming chickens
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn about the situation before you post something that makes you look ignorant.

That would be like blaming someone in the PNW for being a flood victim now because an ice dam in Missoula broke 18,000 years ago.

I have a place on Maui.

I think I might know a bit about the island and it's infrastructure.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Karine Jean-Pierre: Biden Has Not Yet Spoken With Any Family Members Of Maui Wildfire Victims

Karine Jean-Pierre: Biden Has Not Yet Spoken With Any Family Members Of Maui Wildfire Victims

KJP Asked Why Biden Was At Delaware Beach During One Of Deadliest Fires In US History

BREAKING NEWS: KJP Asked Why Biden Was At Delaware Beach During One Of Deadliest Fires In US History

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow. Could you possibly be more of an ass about hundreds of dead American citizens and others who've lost everything, including family members?

Did you say FNY on 9/11 too?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#40]
double post - see below
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wow. Could you possibly be more of an ass about hundreds of dead American citizens and others who've lost everything, including family members?

View Quote

Lots of invective going to appear - just a further example of the unrepairable divide in the country. Solid Democratic/Republican state or area - fuck them all and let them die and rot in Hell. They voted for it. This attitude isn't going away. Most likely only get worse.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Because there are very few towns on the island. Lahaina is practically gone, next down the coast is Kehei, a much more residential area. If you drive around it you wouldn’t know you were in Hawaii other than the palm trees and roaming chickens
View Quote

I understand that as I go to Kihei just about every year. I'll be there again in November for 3 weeks. The assumption that it's Kihei is silly. It may actually be, but there is nothing in that pic to indicate that. There are plenty of other areas where the locals live. And considering the fire above Kihei isn't really near the housing areas, I actually assumed this would be on the very west side of Lahaina where the fire stopped. Doesn't really matter in the end. I simply wanted to know why the poster thought it was in a specific location on the island that those of us who are there a lot couldn't pick out from that small picture.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lots of invective going to appear - just a further example of the unrepairable divide in the country. Solid Democratic/Republican state or area - fuck them all and let them die and rot in Hell. They voted for it. This attitude isn't going away. Most likely only get worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we could be lumping Bratworst in with all those dumbasses that voted Stretchin' Gretchen in.  

Fuck everyone from Michigan!

But we didn't do that, because it would be a stupid thing to state.

But, "fuck Hawaii and everyone involved"
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Do we have any list of charities that are vetted and are not democrat back door funds or ones that will only donate marginal amount of money to the efforts here?

Some solid charities that will bring supplies to the area.
View Quote

I was going to post these links, as I don't want anything going to FBI, Fema, or it seems the state gov (since I've heard about their fucked up response).

USA made board shorts
https://www.birdwell.com/ (20% of each purchase goes to relief)

USA made Hawaiian shirts with gun patterns
https://bawidamann.com/apparel/aloha-shirts/
I will Donate 100% of any Aloha Shirt purchased on www.bawidamann.com
for the next 72 hours to a Lahaina/Maui disaster relief fund. Maui holds a special place
in my household's heart.  My wife and I married and honeymooned on Maui in 2016.
We surfed in Lahaina. We had magical moments under the 150 year old Banyan tree.
I am really at a loss for words when I see the wildfire damage that occurred recently.
ALOHA is real.  ALOHA has been good to me. I wish to give back.
Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, enlighten us all on the proximity of Lahaina to an active volcano.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#46]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#47]
So, about 2100 acres have been heavily damaged or destroyed on Maui, eh? You know Maui is about 735 square miles (470,399 acres) in land area, right? So, the fire-damaged areas amount to less than one-half of one percent (0.44%). The death toll is VERY bad. 91 people have lost their lives. Incompetence and criminal negligence is typical for democrat-run regions. MSM screaming like the whole island is on fire is just their usual hysterical method of selling their newspapers and capturing the 24-hour news cycle. Something should be done regarding the lack of warnings though. Sirens weren't sounded and official text messages weren't sent. You get better Amber Alert notifications than they had for these wildfires. Go ahead, keep voting democrat. Stop blaming "climate change" for everything. There IS NO climate change; It's just the weather and this is typical democrat deviant, diversity, equity, and incompetence in action.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So really you are just miserable and hate everyone? Maybe if your grandparents saw the writing on the wall and moved out of the rust belt you wouldn’t be so resentful of everyone else.

But I am glad you came out and directly stated that you believe the people who died on 9/11 are morons that “found out”. Makes it really easy to dismiss everything you say as worthless.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe not all, but how hard would it be to just keep your mouth shut and not come in here and shit on people? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sigh,

been discussed already.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
After talking with my friend, There IS looting happening and not much being done to stop it.  Also told that only 3% of the burned area has been checked with cadaver dogs - they found 30 more bodies this morning.

He's trying to find security to keep watch over his place. Some friends are close by, but can't get to his place yet.

Sigh,

been discussed already.

Did you even read what I quoted? “Over watch and looting”
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top