Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got in touch with the EOC in Maui and referred my teams resources for the next two weeks, will see if there's enough bandwidth available for them to let us help...
View Quote

I don’t know what that means but it sure sounds positive. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I can’t completely disagree with his statement

This makes me wonder, what is your history in Hawaii?
Did you grow up there? Go to school there?
Live in more rural Hawaii like some of us did?

A lot of Hawaii had a very special attitude about things, not always positive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

STFU, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I can’t completely disagree with his statement

You talking to me or the person I am responding to?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Times radio just had a story about a family of 4 who didn’t make it and were found in their burned car. Terrible last moments.
View Quote

Just found out a relative in Maui died in his car the same way- waiting to evacuate family and was burned alive. Fortunately most of my family is from/lives in Wahiawa on Oahu. Scary to think that you are so close to getting out- in your car ready to go and the flames are so large and the heat is so intense…
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Ugh, I made the mistake of clicking on "Maui Trending" on Twitter/X

The absolute dumbfuck conspiracy theory idiots who think directed energy weapons  DEW stared the fires is appalling.  Mash that in with the "Blackrock did this so they could buy the town" nonsense is too much.

For any of you DEW theorists out there.. why send a beam of light from space where everyone can see  when you can drop a lit book of matches in tall dry grass instead.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The absolute dumbfuck conspiracy theory idiots who think directed energy weapons  DEW stared the fires is appalling.  Mash that in with the "Blackrock did this so they could buy the town" nonsense is too much.

For any of you DEW theorists out there.. why send a beam of light from space where everyone can see  when you can drop a lit book of matches in tall dry grass instead.
View Quote

Agreed. It's the stupidest, low IQ thing I ever heard. Everyone knows earth is flat. How could a directed energy weapon orbit around it?

BTW, my cousin on the Big Island is ok. She took in some neighbors and a stray dog who were in a hot zone there.
Good people here feeding the first responders.
https://twitter.com/WCKitchen/status/1689862892211126272?s=20
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got in touch with the EOC in Maui and referred my teams resources for the next two weeks, will see if there's enough bandwidth available for them to let us help...

Fire captain, 23 years on the job. I work in WA State but own a place in Kihei and have 4 of us lined up with experience in everything from structural fire fighting, EMS, paramedic, rescue, transport, USAR and just about any command role that can come over for a few weeks and jump in wherever, even if it's just relieving a guy on an engine company so they can rotate out and we fill in. Have done that in state a few times where the local crews focus on the fire and we take over the local protection and EMS runs.

Not asking for money, food, flights or a place to stay, we'll just fly over, use my place/car and get to work either helping or relieving them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just found out a relative in Maui died in his car the same way- waiting to evacuate family and was burned alive. Fortunately most of my family is from/lives in Wahiawa on Oahu. Scary to think that you are so close to getting out- in your car ready to go and the flames are so large and the heat is so intense…
View Quote

Ugh, that is a horrible end.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I grew up on the central plains of Oahu.  Went to missionary school in Wahiawa near the Dole fields.  We used to vacation in Lahaina because our family lived on the east coast and it was too far to go unless for a really big trip

I got my ass kicked for being a haole, sure

I also had great friends and knew wonderful people

Know what?  Years later I lived in Savannah, GA.  And because I wasn’t “from” Savannah I would never be truly accepted by a fair amount of people there too

As with many places, there are assholes and there are amazing people

My wife and I are trying to move to the Kailua/Malakai area sometime in the next 3 years.  We go back every year (she grew up there too). I can’t wait to retire there

Regardless. No one deserves what has happened to the people of Maui.  And I’m ashamed people here feel that way

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fire captain, 23 years on the job. I work in WA State but own a place in Kihei and have 4 of us lined up with experience in everything from structural fire fighting, EMS, paramedic, rescue, transport, USAR and just about any command role that can come over for a few weeks and jump in wherever, even if it's just relieving a guy on an engine company so they can rotate out and we fill in. Have done that in state a few times where the local crews focus on the fire and we take over the local protection and EMS runs.

Not asking for money, food, flights or a place to stay, we'll just fly over, use my place/car and get to work either helping or relieving them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what that means but it sure sounds positive. Thank you.

Awesome people here. Please let us know if you do get deployed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No different than all the tards that insist the Labor Day 2020 fires in the PNW were all started by antifa terrorists, you know, instead of the massive fucking wind storm that we had, just like you guys. From my house I personally witnessed two fires start from trees in powerlines.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The locals disdain for mainland visitors is greater than their desire to ease their own suffering.
View Quote
But you're cool with Mainlanders telling other Mainlanders to fuck off and not come in their state if they're from California or New York, right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I can't completely disagree with his statement

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

STFU, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I can't completely disagree with his statement

So, are you cool with Idaho folk telling out of states to fuck off?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just found out a relative in Maui died in his car the same way- waiting to evacuate family and was burned alive. Fortunately most of my family is from/lives in Wahiawa on Oahu. Scary to think that you are so close to getting out- in your car ready to go and the flames are so large and the heat is so intense
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
People are loading up skis, boats, and planes on their down dime to get fuel, food, and water to people over there.

As the search continued, people who stayed behind in West Maui said they heard little directly from the government and did not know what forms of official aid were available.

"Nobody knows what's going on out here," said Cord Cuniberti, who was driving Spam to a drop-off site with his friend. "We're just relaying stuff   coconut wireless," he said, using a local term meaning word of mouth and rumors.

In Napili Park, north of Lahaina, locals set up one of many makeshift distribution centers under a canopy. They handed out mounds of canned goods, pallets of water, diapers and other supplies to those in need. People stretched out to rest on blankets in the shade as children played football and helped to unload boxes of goods.
View Quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/13/us/west-maui-hawaii-wildfires-aid.html?unlocked_article_code=H-_TvN6NQ4vPgG8LbovabvJpIThuV-AXPzxg1Lb5ArhrqZpz2XYtZ_wjkNkd-c0DFDdvPAPiVAB85zSD9idNgULrD289H_KNj5HiNzDqPjpRiHgrk4_zj6CfwJYrreWnXnib6lXyjo0eCUauqoFr8TGzYvRfF1r5tlrCEQsh8vBQke9kR2LO2Q1pBiTttztUv8uyaWMi6HVNg0EMCE3RxEnbRfKr0_f9RvQmFZ1vBTicYbMi91oEZfnqHj2acuEGp045844iqxeK_F0cA-AXJmWZFsjA3x3xvoNviwVgHkCdu3IP3VKmzH0Be9OxPZCvltSyi_anr0Q8TKRHSf7mofOY4A&smid=url-share
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Not a bitch post…. just the way it is with type 1 incidents.  I got put on standby for attachment to USAR on Friday afternoon.  Was packed and ready for anything in a couple hours.  We were checking email for orders and flight info all weekend.  Maybe Monday…

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
A friend's family member apparently is one of the few people to have saved their house because they'd moved to the outskirts of town. Everyone from around now living with them, food running low, and they're just driving around now checking for survivors.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
But you're cool with Mainlanders telling other Mainlanders to fuck off and not come in their state if they're from California or New York, right?
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote
Calm down. They're just describing the attitudes of some of the locals, neither of them in any way said they support it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Asked a friend in Kihei for donation recommendations.   This is what they said.
Google their website for links if your so inclined.

ETA: Mods,  if this isn't allowed please delete.

Places to donate info, if you are looking:

King’s Cathedral (777 Maui Veterans Highway, Kahului, HI 96732) Hope Chapel (300 E Welakahao Rd, Kihei, HI 96753) Maui Food Bank (760 Kolu Street, Wailuku, HI 96793-1438)

These two churches are good donation options.

King’s Cathedral has set up a shelter in their church building and is currently helping many from Lahaina and also tourist stuck here that need to get home. They have teamed up with Costco to get donations to the victims of the wildfires.

Hope Chapel in Kihei is getting set up to help victims of the Lahaina fire. They are a good donation.

Maui Food Bank also teams up with Costco. The Maui Food Bank from what I have heard is Costco’s biggest buyer and the food bank’s dollar goes further than an individual’s dollars.

Thanks for asking, all help is appreciated
View Quote
!

This thread has made me regret past comments  I've made about CA natural disasters. A lot of members need a little self refection.

I still dislike the ones that move here and bring their BS with them
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was first thinking about moving out of Florida into the mountain west, I had an Idahoan practically curse me out here on GD for even thinking about moving to his state.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#22]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#23]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#25]
out of DFW AA119 sent pallets of water and non-perishable food. I helped coordinate the loading.
This hawaii/anti-hawaii/anti-non-hawaiian bullshit is bullshit.
I'm from Queens, NY I don't give a shit where you are from or where you live. we are Americans first and foremost.
Americans help Americans. that is what we do.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for your efforts - hopefully they are able to take you up on your offer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

!

This thread has made me regret past comments  I've made about CA natural disasters. A lot of members need a little self refection.

View Quote

Thanks for the heads up on these donation opportunities.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#29]
After talking with my friend, There IS looting happening and not much being done to stop it.  Also told that only 3% of the burned area has been checked with cadaver dogs - they found 30 more bodies this morning.

He's trying to find security to keep watch over his place. Some friends are close by, but can't get to his place yet.

Does anyone know if the water treatment plant is online? Is there water to the surviving homes?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
After talking with my friend, There IS looting happening and not much being done to stop it.  Also told that only 3% of the burned area has been checked with cadaver dogs - they found 30 more bodies this morning.

He's trying to find security to keep watch over his place. Some friends are close by, but can't get to his place yet.

Does anyone know if the water treatment plant is online? Is there water to the surviving homes?
View Quote

I was browsing around r/maui and they still have roads blocked which is frustrating for people trying to help my trucking in loads of supplies from the east side but controlling entry is a necessary thing now IMO. They are still looking for deceased people, too, so people wandering around isn't something recovery crews need to deal with.

As morbid as this sounds some remains are going to have to be identified by DNA matches with relatives. Something to consider for people who are still missing family members.

From what I can tell that the whole impacted area is without safe running water. I saw roads mentioned where water is safe to drink in some random comments but that information may be available on websites for local gov's over there.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A-fucking-men.  Probably be the first to holler for help if a wildfire came bearing down on them.
View Quote

That's one of my greatest fears, living in the woods. A few hot days and the leaves on the ground would go up like lightening.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
out of DFW AA119 sent pallets of water and non-perishable food. I helped coordinate the loading.
This hawaii/anti-hawaii/anti-non-hawaiian bullshit is bullshit.
I'm from Queens, NY I don't give a shit where you are from or where you live. we are Americans first and foremost.
Americans help Americans. that is what we do.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Absolutely nightmarish.  Hopefully the missing are found safe.

Now watch the opportunists like Blackrock swoop in and turn it all into mega hi rise resorts.
View Quote

Agree completely with the first part.

Praying you're wrong about the second, but, sadly, that is their MO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely nightmarish.  Hopefully the missing are found safe.

Now watch the opportunists like Blackrock swoop in and turn it all into mega hi rise resorts.

None of this matters now. Residents need help now.

investors and corporations may sell,  scared and desperate locals will too for the quck buck.The liberal eco nuts will make it hell to redevelop.   Mixed feelings on that.  
2 mountain and the airport and power station in a tusami zone. A "port" with "barge" service  from Oahu.  Growing the population  beyond current residents and the tourists  load is insanity.   1 good road to South Maui, 1 good road to west Maui., Hana highway to Hell.  Trillions to change  the road situation, never happening.
If I had lotto money I'd buy everything without second thought and move.
 Visiting with multiple friends with boats is one thing, living there without an escape plan is scary.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Damn that is some terrible, scary stuff.  My sympathies and prayers for those affected.  

With the far left pushing their agenda into overdrive, I am extremely suspicious of all wildfires now.  I believe they are being intentionally started to push the climate change agenda.
View Quote

It's hard not to feel that way and I'm convinced you're right.

Same in Canada, although, a friend's brother is a firefighter up there and he says it's Chinese natl's setting those fires.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's not that far off.  Comparing states in 2a,  Hawaii is in the top 5 for gun control.  Limited CCW, permitting, registration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is nowhere close to being true, as someone who lives in a state contiguous to New York AND New Jersey should know

It's not that far off.  Comparing states in 2a,  Hawaii is in the top 5 for gun control.  Limited CCW, permitting, registration.

Thank you!

I knew it was bad; really bad.

Not that I'd wish this on anyone mind you. I was just wondering why, aside from the scenery, anyone would choose to move there. This is truly a catastrophe of epic proportions and my heart goes out to all it's affected.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I thought this thread was about a fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stumpy legs and a fat ass.

I'll pass.

I thought this thread was about a fire.

I'm confused too, bro. How'd that post end up here?!?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thank you!

Not that I'd wish this on anyone mind you. I was just wondering why, aside from the scenery, anyone would choose to move there. This is truly a catastrophe of epic proportions and my heart goes out to all it's affected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is nowhere close to being true, as someone who lives in a state contiguous to New York AND New Jersey should know

Thank you!

There are a lot of reasons depending on your lifestyle and likes/dislikes there are different attractions on the different islands.

As far as 2A, yeah it kinda sucks but I just got done shooting my AR (30rd mags are ok here) off my front porch to scare away a pig in my neighbor's adjacent pasture.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Cool, Phil Labonte
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

!

View Quote

I can't remember what the disaster was, but several years ago, I got slapped down pretty hard for trying to remind arfcommers that even California residents were Americans, too.

I've tried to keep that lesson in mind, since.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Times radio just had a story about a family of 4 who didn’t make it and were found in their burned car. Terrible last moments.

Man , I’m sorry to hear that. My stomach feels ill hearing the stories coming out of Maui.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There are a lot of reasons depending on your lifestyle and likes/dislikes there are different attractions on the different islands.

As far as 2A, yeah it kinda sucks but I just got done shooting my AR (30rd mags are ok here) off my front porch to scare away a pig in my neighbor's adjacent pasture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

It's CCW that's super-restricted isn't it?

Nonetheless, super glad you're okay - let alone, able to help your neighbor!
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Man , I’m sorry to hear that. My stomach feels ill hearing the stories coming out of Maui.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel ill, hearing about this stuff.

It's surreal.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#44]
What’s the current death toll?

Quoted:

View Quote

Isn’t hawaii rabidly anti gun? What’s even allowed over there these days?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thank you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

Ever wish you could go back to 1985 and live like it was 1985 again but still have most modern conveniences? That's why people lived there. It was it like stepping back in time, but keeping the good parts of today.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#46]
FYI, got an e-mail from United asking people to donate their miles and/or money. I'm guessing other airlines will/are probably doing something similar.

Horrible imagery from that fire.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What’s the current death toll?

Isn’t hawaii rabidly anti gun? What’s even allowed over there these days?
View Quote

They can have 30 rd rifle mags Mr. CO.  All searchable info.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ever wish you could go back to 1985 and live like it was 1985 again but still have most modern conveniences? That's why people lived there. It was it like stepping back in time, but keeping the good parts of today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

Ha! Fair enough!

And...yep!
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Terrible
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Union has sent a donation to the effort!
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top