User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No passenger ferries between the islands but there are a few cruise ships
View Quote

A now retired coworker that grew up there and lives there now told me the ferry plan was voted down to keep the huge homeless population from spreading to the other islands
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]
All this ferry talk is making me realize that just the debris removal alone is going to be a huge ordeal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All this ferry talk is making me realize that just the debris removal alone is going to be a huge ordeal.
View Quote

Sounds like a job for the Army Corps of Engineers.  More aircraft than the air force, more boats than the navy ( I don’t know if it’s still true, but it was at one point in time)

They have tremendous resources, in men, material, and knowledge, to deal with stuff like this.  Just look at Katrina
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That doesn't seem like a smart move. Ferries are in use all over the world and are an important way for people and goods to move around.

Stuff is going to get there one way or another might as well use something that is way easier than air or barges
View Quote

People cry about whales, the environment, etc
Truth is people in Hawaii don’t want to see it developed in anyway

During Covid and long before there is a very anti tourism attitude as in, we don’t want the or need you, this comes from the majority of the state
Not nearly so much the business owners who want the business and people working those businesses but the locals stuck on island time

Ironically without tourism the islands have nothing else to offer and would shrivel up in no time.

Whale strikes is a comical reason to reject a ferry, no shortage of boats big and small around those islands as it is

In 1988 or so my family had a aluminum boat built in Washington and brought it to Lahaina, it resembled the Alaskan crab/commercial fishing boats of the time, we were 33 feet long so a very average boat

Locals flipped out at us thinking we were a commercial long liner and we actually got harassed by people just putting our boat in the water at malawarf for years, at the time we had nearly the only aluminum boat in the state
Craig, the guy who started the Lahaina lanai ferry after seeing our boat went to the mainland and had an aluminum boat built after talking to my dad and grandpa and getting on our boat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not much different than other ferries I've been on and that operate everyday around the world. Not talking about glorified barges.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just seems really odd to me why there would be such opposition to something that is in use all over the world to great effect. My own family history dates back to an island in Europe that I've visited several times by ferry.

Also used to go out to Catalina by ferry and been on others including up in WA state. Seems like a normal thing that locals should welcome.

One problem here is that the seas between the islands get very rough at times especially in the channels where the wind and waves get funnelled between the land masses.  A few miles offshore and you are literally in the middle of the Pacific ocean.  This isn't some intercoastal situation.

Not much different than other ferries I've been on and that operate everyday around the world. Not talking about glorified barges.

The channel between the big island and the rest of the state, and the channel between lanai and Molokai are notoriously nasty at times, when it gets bad it gets really bad, we nearly flipped a 33 foot boat traveling from a fishing tournament on the big island home.
Where as the Lahaina to lanai path is pretty well protected and rarely nasty.

Very different than most ferry situations.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The channel between the big island and the rest of the state, and the channel between lanai and Molokai are notoriously nasty at times, when it gets bad it gets really bad, we nearly flipped a 33 foot boat traveling from a fishing tournament on the big island home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just seems really odd to me why there would be such opposition to something that is in use all over the world to great effect. My own family history dates back to an island in Europe that I've visited several times by ferry.

Also used to go out to Catalina by ferry and been on others including up in WA state. Seems like a normal thing that locals should welcome.

One problem here is that the seas between the islands get very rough at times especially in the channels where the wind and waves get funnelled between the land masses.  A few miles offshore and you are literally in the middle of the Pacific ocean.  This isn't some intercoastal situation.

The various Newfoundland and North Sea ferry services say come at me bro.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was in a 35 ft Bertram off Maui, out of the protection of the other islands, we were surfing down waves while hooked up with a marlin, giant waves.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice, but with inter-island air travel so well established and routine people aren't going to spend hours getting seasick on a ferry when they can go Maui to Kona in 30 minutes or Honolulu to Kona in 45 minutes.  Unless thay can take their car, work truck, or truckload of produce.

Anyway, this talk of inter-island ferry is distracting from the on going disaster and I suggest we return to that topic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
80 people.  

I am guessing it will end up over 100 - but I hope it won't.
View Quote

In the OP's video of those three, able bodied men fleeing, there was a collapsed woman they drove by. "We can't help her, Brah...we gotta go."

She was right near a car. It's been eating at me that she might have just been passed out.  She looked young and might have had a child in her car, too. They never checked. I would have snatched her and thrown her in the trunk. My old ass could have managed that on one deep breath.

I guess she was one of the fatalities.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
80 people.  

View Quote
I fear it will be more than that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In the OP's video of those three, able bodied men fleeing, there was a collapsed woman they drove by. "We can't help her, Brah...we gotta go."

She was right near a car. It's been eating at me that she might have just been passed out.  She looked young and might have had a child in her car, too. They never checked. I would have snatched her and thrown her in the trunk. My old ass could have managed that on one deep breath.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
80 people.  

Those guys were in shorts and flip flops and would have just added to the morts.

It sucks. It will eat at them, but just like that dog/hunters in a pit situation down in Texas, sometimes the only thing you can do is not go in.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stumpy legs and a fat ass.

I'll pass.
View Quote

I thought this thread was about a fire.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
80 people.  

With 1000 people missing it doesn't sound good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those guys were in shorts and flip flops and would have just added to the morts.

It sucks. It will eat at them, but just like that dog/hunters in a pit situation down in Texas, sometimes the only thing you can do is not go in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
80 people.  

That sucked too, and I would t have thought of that kind of gas buildup even. A silo or something yeah but not a cistern. Fuck.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
80 people.  

That's what I was telling my friends yesterday when we were talking about it. It's not like the CA fires where people were missing and turned up in Oregon or Nevada the next day, on an island there is nowhere to go for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't know that 13,000 lived in Lahaina...  
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
SPACE LASERS Could Have Started Maui Wildfire, CRAZY Claims Erupt On Internet

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Only one person I know has been able check in as safe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
- CoC 7 -
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ever been close to raging fire with 80mph winds? Fire hoses are not going to do shit. This fire was unstoppable.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don’t understand the logistics of fighting fire, you can’t fight fire in 60-80 mph winds
That’s before you even consider these operations blocking people in, you don’t casually drive over 4 inch trunk lines hooked up to engines, engines blocking pathways for people to escape

Large fire events with thousands of firefighters during high wind events, all resources are disengaged until the wind dies down to manageable levels.

Some of us here have experience with fire and know this, what you’re talking about is pure fantasy in these situations.

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
He mentioned Catalina Is. which is the same type of situation.

ETA- I'll quit contributing to this off topic discussion.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Just a horrible situation. My heart goes out to all of those affected.

Reading through this thread reminds me how many good people there are here. Sadly, reading through this thread also illuminates how many people were raised by trash parents .
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#28]

- Coc 7 -
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Are those the Chinese space lasers they say are measuring pollution levels?
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Volcanic island chains were never meant to be inhabited by wyte pepo.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Members are discussing missing friends and family, since you don't care maybe stop sharing in this thread.

Maybe your time would be better spent showing us how to scope water from the open ocean during 60-80 mph winds with a plane.  
The map above shows the fire blow through town in an 1:45.  Man was not stopping it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Such class
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Unfortunately, I think they are going to find a few bodies floating in the ocean and more that will never be found. People who were in danger of being burned alive likely fled to the ocean and between burns and damaged lungs from the heat, went into distress and drowned.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
80 people.  

Yeah, that's why I fear it will be worse.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, I think they are going to find a few bodies floating in the ocean and more that will never be found. People who were in danger of being burned alive likely fled to the ocean and between burns and damaged lungs from the heat, went into distress and drowned.
View Quote

The boat that brought me and others from Kahoolawe to Maui yesterday was owned by NOAA.  Once we got back they were headed to Lahaina to do side scan sonar searches for bodies.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The locals disdain for mainland visitors is greater than their desire to ease their own suffering.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I didn't know that 13,000 lived in Lahaina...  
View Quote

I was surprised by that myself. A NYT article i was reading today said that a lot of the original plantation houses had been turned into apartments, so a lot of the housing was very dense,
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Not sure I could roll past that woman and not at least try.  Jesus.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#39]
POV from the ocean

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
POV from the ocean

View Quote

That is insane.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not sure I could roll past that woman and not at least try.  Jesus.
View Quote

And make more victims in the meantime?
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The boat that brought me and others from Kahoolawe to Maui yesterday was owned by NOAA.  Once we got back they were headed to Lahaina to do side scan sonar searches for bodies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Apologies if this has been posted already.  Supposedly prior to the fire, showing the wind and powerlines.

Instagram

ETA just seeing that wind alone shows how unstoppable the fire was made.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The locals disdain for mainland visitors is greater than their desire to ease their own suffering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

STFU, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
POV from the ocean

View Quote

I had to quit scrolling once I got to the comments.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Times radio just had a story about a family of 4 who didn’t make it and were found in their burned car. Terrible last moments.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

STFU, you have no idea what you are talking about.
View Quote

I can’t completely disagree with his statement

This makes me wonder, what is your history in Hawaii?
Did you grow up there? Go to school there?
Live in more rural Hawaii like some of us did?

A lot of Hawaii had a very special attitude about things, not always positive.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You don’t understand the logistics of fighting fire, you can’t fight fire in 60-80 mph winds
That’s before you even consider these operations blocking people in, you don’t casually drive over 4 inch trunk lines hooked up to engines, engines blocking pathways for people to escape

Large fire events with thousands of firefighters during high wind events, all resources are disengaged until the wind dies down to manageable levels.

Some of us here have experience with fire and know this, what you’re talking about is pure fantasy in these situations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't this thing blow up at like 2 or 3 in the morning?  If so that's going to be a recipe for disaster with only 1 way in or out.  Maui will never be the same. We where just there for 2 weeks in early may just south of Napilli, heart breaking seeing the pics of the destruction.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:36:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Got in touch with the EOC in Maui and referred my teams resources for the next two weeks, will see if there's enough bandwidth available for them to let us help...
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top