Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The Westside of the island's has been a tinderbox in waiting for years. Nothing has been done as far as fire breaks or remediation. Now watch it spread to other island's as amateur fire bugs/Anarchist try spread the love around.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
While it would really suck to lose property, being on a small island seems like an ideal place to safely escape wildfire. Beaches don't burn and the ocean surrounds you. If you have access to a boat even better.  Might not have anything to come back to, but it seems survivable. On the other hand, I'm guessing firefighting for wildfires is severely limited.  Zero mutual aid, and no resources beyond what the island already has.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That’s a heck of a choice.

Stay there and burn alive or jump into the ocean and get eaten by hammerheads or tiger sharks.
View Quote

Can't they just wade into the ocean a little bit? I've swam in Hawaii and was never eaten by a tiger shark
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The Lt Governor was just on talking about some rural hospitals are overwhelmed with burn patients.

This year has been like the beginning of a Roland Emmerich film.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would have taken 30 seconds to get out and drag that lady into the car.  
View Quote

My thoughts too but one big gulp of 500F air/smoke and you'll be laying next to her. Those people are lucky to be alive period.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Driving past the poor woman was tough to watch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What the hell is up with that? Driving past a woman lying on the ground, immobile is just sick. Maybe there is more to the story, but who the hell does that?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What the hell is up with that? Driving past a woman lying on the ground, immobile is just sick. Maybe there is more to the story, but who the hell does that?
View Quote

Hawaiians apparently.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Hawaii historically has the highest percentage of the state burned by wildfire  over in other US state.

Reference the 2016 fires, lots of non native easier burning plants and grasses leave the ground bare and then come the rains gigantic problems with washouts and erosion.

Eta:  When the people who produce our wildland UHP system were in Hawaii earlier this year they notated a severe lack of basic structure protection from wild fires.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Her cloths was not burned. It was not impossible to grab her and keep going. Local fires here a guy picked up a burned woman, not recognizing it was his wife, https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/09/the-desperate-fight-to-save-his-family-ends-in-tragedy.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They shoulda picked that lady up. I know they are straight out panicking but still....

Her cloths was not burned. It was not impossible to grab her and keep going. Local fires here a guy picked up a burned woman, not recognizing it was his wife, https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/09/the-desperate-fight-to-save-his-family-ends-in-tragedy.html
It's not the flames that hills you, it's the 500F+ air and smoke. One gulp of that and you're done.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
How much warning did they have for this? A lot of these types of videos in the past have been from people who ignored warnings and figured they could ride it out, until they couldn't. Not that they deserve it, but I wonder how much of this could have been avoided.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No care
View Quote

Is Colorado immune to fire?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nice retort, (coc).  Try actually reading the fucking news before posting your edgy little meme.  

The vast majority of historic Lahaina has been destroyed.   At one time, Lahaina was the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii.

Several schools have been set up as shelters for evacuees.
View Quote

#triggered
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Based on the maps I've seen, it looks like all of Front Street is gone, including Lahaina Banyan Court. That was a weirdly magical place.

It doesn't look like Lahainaluna High School was in the path, at least.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I didnt know wildfires were a thing in Hawaii.  I thought it rained there almost daily so I assumed it would be too wet for them.
View Quote

I was in Lahaina for about a month in 2001, and while every morning was foggy/misty, I don't think it actually rained a single time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Strangely, not a single mention of "residents jump(ing) into ocean to escape raging wildfire" in that whole article or any of the videos
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Strangely, not a single mention of "residents jump(ing) into ocean to escape raging wildfire" in that whole article or any of the videos
View Quote

Here.

Satisfied?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems kind of dumb to live on a volcano in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opening their doors / windows would cause the temperature inside the cabin to rise rapidly.  Depending on the direction of wind and fire at that location they would have killed their whole crew to pick up a likely corpse.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Like a said above, Not judging the action or inaction of them stopping to help that lady.

However, you all do realize they have a HIGH probability of becoming a victim as well if they did get out of the car....  The extremely hot air, the smoke..    we can all act like we white knights but come on....
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Lahianaluna high school is gone.

I have no idea if school is in session, but that's where I stayed when I was there - I helped set up their computer lab in 2001.

That's very bad. Lahainaluna was a very old boarding school, and had students from poor families all over the islands. I've not found any news yet if there were any students there, or if they were able to evacuate.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Did any Haoles save them?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Like a said above, Not judging the action or inaction of them stopping to help that lady.

However, you all do realize they have a HIGH probability of becoming a victim as well if they did get out of the car....  The extremely hot air, the smoke..    we can all act like we white knights but come on....
View Quote

I don't know if I would have stopped, and I'm not at all afraid of taking risks to help people. They were already in a very, very bad position and the chances that she was alive seem tiny, even from the video.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know - I never really had trouble with the natives. "Haole" didn't strike me as much different from "gringo" to me.

If anything, native Hawaiians struck me as tropical rednecks. I got along great with them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You know - I never really had trouble with the natives. "Haole" didn't strike me as much different from "gringo" to me.

If anything, native Hawaiians struck me as tropical rednecks. I got along great with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hawaiians are the most racist people in the US.  There is a place called "Hawaiian homelands" occupying a significant part of Hawaii where it is illegal for all the other historically subjugated populations such as the filipino, chinese etc to lease, even though they were just as fucked by the haoles as the Hawaiians.  

The law literally states you must be of "the blood" of the correct "races", and it is the only place in the non-reservation states of the US where this insanely unconstitutional racist law about where you can live based on what race you are.  It is the only place in states of US with actual, codified, structural racism.  (outside the states in the territories there is one other place, American Samoa)
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I didnt know wildfires were a thing in Hawaii.  I thought it rained there almost daily so I assumed it would be too wet for them.

View Quote
I've only seen rain a few times and I've been 3 times. Most resorts have sprinklers going on their grounds. I have only been in September though.

Is Kihei on fire as well? Hopefully not!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not Lahaina Town!
View Quote

The gods are angry for people breaking that old tree a while ago.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure how much I buy that. And how many people passed her by before it got that bad? I will admit that I have never been in that situation and could easily be wrong, but if the outside air is that deadly, I would think that they are already fucked. I guess that gets back to my question about how much time did they have to get out before they got themselves in this situation?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hawaiians are the most racist people in the US.  There is a place called "Hawaiian homelands" occupying a significant part of Hawaii where it is illegal for all the other historically subjugated populations such as the filipino, chinese etc to lease, even though they were just as fucked by the haoles as the Hawaiians.  

The law literally states you must be of "the blood" of the correct "races", and it is the only place in the non-reservation states of the US where this insanely unconstitutional racist law about where you can live based on what race you are.  It is the only place in states of US with actual, codified, structural racism.  (outside the states in the territories there is one other place, American Samoa)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... that's not my land, that's not my home, so that's not a problem for me.

Maybe that's why I got along just fine :).
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to love visiting Lahaina years ago.  Hopefully someday that place will be worth visiting again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't see any problem with filipinos and chinese, blacks, etc being barred by law from having equal property rights?  So much for the yellow/black flag "liberty."
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#36]
If the ocean catches fire this could be catastrophic. The beach sand is a good firebreak but what if it jumps?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I emphasize with those people.

Mother Nature is a bitch when she wants to be.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#38]
In before the meme of Biden sweating trying to chose between sending money to Hawaii or Ukraine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Would have taken 30 seconds to get out and drag that lady into the car.  
View Quote

She's dead Jim!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not Lahaina Town!
It is obviously the retribution for Bobby taking that tiki from the cave. He didn't know any better, but the gods don't care.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
The entire earth is mere skin over the top of an immense inferno.  This wasn't caused by volcanoes anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's dead Jim...

Got New Madrid?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Thoughts and prayers.  No money though - gotta pay Ukraine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hope Willie can save his crop.
View Quote

So it can be burned a little at a time!

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I love Maui !

That is damn shame .
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wildfires on the Big Island as well.

There's apparently a wildfire near where we are moving in a few years.  Because we own the land, we are on the mailing list for the community, and there were some panicked emails yesterday.  The fire jumped across the highway, which freaked out a lot of people.  Apparently a building was lost further south, and in the community across the street a roof caught fire - but the house was saved.
View Quote

Which part of big island?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Our resort is in Lahaina. We only booked because we had miles from a previous cancelled trip to S. Africa. No big deal, just going to sit my ass on the beach in Florida instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm supposed to be there in 2 weeks. Mrs TB is frantically cancelling resort and flights.

Why? it's not the whole island
Our resort is in Lahaina. We only booked because we had miles from a previous cancelled trip to S. Africa. No big deal, just going to sit my ass on the beach in Florida instead.

I heard entire town of Lahaina burned down. Is this true? Might be good idea to cancel the vacation
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I wouldn't recommend trying to save that woman.  You're essentially in a house engulfed by flame and you're in a protective bubble. Everyone in the car will die if the doors are opened. If the car is blocking the road, everyone driving behind them will die too.

Kinda like casualties in confined spaces with toxic gas or manure farms.  One person goes down.  All the people trying to rescue them die too.

I'm surprised the cars didn't stall out from lack of oxygen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#50]
My brother lives in Pukalani with his family.  He’s a doctor there.  If it matters to any of you all, he’s a conservative, gun owner, and loves the island and the people.  His kids have grown up Hawaiian.  

They are devastated.  

He lives upcountry, has evacuees (employees of his and their families) in his home right now.  There is a fire upcountry but not threatening his place yet.

Been up all night ensuring the well being of his employees and families.

Lahaina isn’t just a tourist attraction. Nor is it just a “town”.  

He thinks that it is a mass casualty event.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top