User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What the hell is up with that? Driving past a woman lying on the ground, immobile is just sick. Maybe there is more to the story, but who the hell does that?
View Quote

People that are panicking and struggling to stay alive.

Fuck opening those doors and trying to save someone. You might not have any oxygen left of you do that. .

People don’t understand fires until they have been in one and can’t breathe. I learned my lesson in a neighbors house fire trying to put it out when I tried to take a breathe and the oxygen simply didn’t exist.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not sure how much I buy that. And how many people passed her by before it got that bad? I will admit that I have never been in that situation and could easily be wrong, but if the outside air is that deadly, I would think that they are already fucked. I guess that gets back to my question about how much time did they have to get out before they got themselves in this situation?
View Quote

Going just based on the video.  

And as far as how long they had, I know for a fact a wild fire can go from being MILES away from you to on your doorstep VERY quickly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sad, I was in Lahaina 2 weeks ago, beautiful historic tourist town.
View Quote

So was I, that’s wild.  And this is terrible ??

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend trying to save that woman.  You're essentially in a house engulfed by flame and you're in a protective bubble. Everyone in the car will die if the doors are opened. If the car is blocking the road, everyone driving behind them will die too.

Kinda like casualties in confined spaces with toxic gas or manure farms.  One person goes down.  All the people trying to rescue them die too.

I'm surprised the cars didn't stall out from lack of oxygen.
View Quote

If the car hasn't stalled there must be oxygen in the air to be habitable.

And people saying that the air was 500 degrees, not sure that is correct. The engine would overheat in a minute and the paint would be melting off.

Not a firefighter just know cars and combustion.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And people saying that the air was 500 degrees, nit sure that is correct. The engine would overheat in a minute and the paint would be melting off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend trying to save that woman.  You're essentially in a house engulfed by flame and you're in a protective bubble. Everyone in the car will die if the doors are opened. If the car is blocking the road, everyone driving behind them will die too.

Kinda like casualties in confined spaces with toxic gas or manure farms.  One person goes down.  All the people trying to rescue them die too.

And people saying that the air was 500 degrees, nit sure that is correct. The engine would overheat in a minute and the paint would be melting off.

The chances of her being alive at that point are highly unlikely. For all we know half a dozen other cars stopped to check on her. It's tragic but I don't see how we can blame the people in that car for their inaction.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Which part of big island?
View Quote
North of Kona.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Panic does not help.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be in Kaanapali in a few weeks. Had reservations at Kimo's and Fleetwood's. It appears both restaurants are most likely gone now. Absolutely horrible what's happened to Lahaina.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And people saying that the air was 500 degrees, not sure that is correct. The engine would overheat in a minute and the paint would be melting off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct.  With 70mph winds there will be plenty of cool oxygen being added and available.  Granted there will be some really bad hotspots and oxygen deprived areas, but on balance, if the car can run, so can the people I bet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If there's any sort of silver lining it looks like the banyan tree survived. I feel terrible for the people though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm trying to find a fuck to give...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That vehicle in the video is absolutely damaged by the fire and heat. You're thinking "normal" inlet air temps, hell those can exceed 200F in Arizona but a vehicle can still run sucking in mixed 500F air and less than ideal oxygen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Agenda Free TV is covering the fires right now. Showing video of Lahaina which appears to be almost completely destroyed down to the water line.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My brother lives in Pukalani with his family.  He's a doctor there.  If it matters to any of you all, he's a conservative, gun owner, and loves the island and the people.  His kids have grown up Hawaiian.  

They are devastated.  

He lives upcountry, has evacuees (employees of his and their families) in his home right now.  There is a fire upcountry but not threatening his place yet.

Been up all night ensuring the well being of his employees and families.

Lahaina isn't just a tourist attraction. Nor is it just a "town".  

He thinks that it is a mass casualty event.
View Quote
Keep us updated if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Freaking horrible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess the price you pay for posting in GD is edgy assed little pricks coming in and shitting all over a thread when they could just keep their cock holsters shut and move on. Human suffering be damned. Idiots.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I stand corrected.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#21]
In before the Hawaiian Judge rules against the fire.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If there's any sort of silver lining it looks like the banyan tree survived. I feel terrible for the people though.
View Quote

LOVE that tree, it's amazing. I sure hope so, very sad day.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#23]

That old lady was probably in the car holding up that car of guys trying to escape in the first post. Just a leisurely Sunday drive for her to marvel at the destruction.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The chances of her being alive at that point are highly unlikely. For all we know half a dozen other cars stopped to check on her. It's tragic but I don't see how we can blame the people in that car for their inaction.
View Quote
Plus I saw power lines down all around so who knows what you are getting into.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Damn, even all the boats in the harbor are burning.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was in Lahaina for about a month in 2001, and while every morning was foggy/misty, I don't think it actually rained a single time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didnt know wildfires were a thing in Hawaii.  I thought it rained there almost daily so I assumed it would be too wet for them.

I was in Lahaina for about a month in 2001, and while every morning was foggy/misty, I don't think it actually rained a single time.

They could use rain right now.......at least a day or two of it
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Were those boats on fire in the water?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOVE that tree, it's amazing. I sure hope so, very sad day.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

ETA: The courthouse built in 1865 is the shell of the building in front of it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What the hell is up with that? Driving past a woman lying on the ground, immobile is just sick. Maybe there is more to the story, but who the hell does that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Driving past the poor woman was tough to watch.

Fear is a powerful drug.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

No he’s not.
WTF is wrong with some of you?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lots of wind in the video. Which is part of the problem but also maybe why there was enough O2.  Without O2 the fires die out too though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I didnt know wildfires were a thing in Hawaii.  I thought it rained there almost daily so I assumed it would be too wet for them.

View Quote

Leeward side don't seem like it be, but it do. (The leeward side of most of the islands is normally pretty dry.) Best wishes/prayers for those affected. I loved my time in HI and the people (contrary to most on this board it seems).
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Sad. Was just there not long ago. Hopefully the loss of life is t staggering but based on the speed and overall shitty road structures of the town (and the way out) I fear the body count is gonna be high.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#35]
What I would do is get on the road to Hana and squat in the jungle until the wildfire burned out. No need to roast.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't care what is happening in some other country half way around the world.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
People are jumping into the ocean to escape.
View Quote

People jump into the ocean everyday there.  That’s why they go to Hawaii.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm sure it would start back up, but I would imagine there are places in the moving air mass with very little oxygen.  Not good for people, either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't care what is happening in some other country half way around the world.
View Quote

But seriously, that sucks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll be in Kaanapali in a few weeks. Had reservations at Kimo's and Fleetwood's. It appears both restaurants are most likely gone now. Absolutely horrible what's happened to Lahaina.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3G-HMgWoAElwZ_?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3G-MS7XIAAo4Gj?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3G-VvjWUAECeeQ?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
Wow, damn...
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Here.

Satisfied?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Strangely, not a single mention of "residents jump(ing) into ocean to escape raging wildfire" in that whole article or any of the videos

Here.

Satisfied?

No?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#43]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That’s a heck of a choice.

Stay there and burn alive or jump into the ocean and get eaten by hammerheads or tiger sharks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are jumping into the ocean to escape.

That’s a heck of a choice.

Stay there and burn alive or jump into the ocean and get eaten by hammerheads or tiger sharks.
Rocks.  Don't forget about smashing into the rocks.  And then having a shark chow into whatever part of you isn't already burned or broken.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I see the edge lords have gotten done with summer school classes for the day.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#46]
The irony!

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Rocks.  Don't forget about smashing into the rocks.  And then having a shark chow into whatever part of you isn't already burned or broken.
View Quote

Why do people imagine there are just millions of sharks waiting to eat them? A tiger will rarely bite a person if the water's clear (it is this time of year) and a hammerhead will almost never attack.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#49]
What are the odds a homeless encampment cook fire started it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If the ocean catches fire this could be catastrophic. The beach sand is a good firebreak but what if it jumps?
View Quote

We already have enough threads about Ohio.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top