[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hawaiians apparently.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt sharks are hanging around that chaos anyway. I hope the casualties aren’t as bad as they look like from the videos. My BIL is on Oahu.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What the hell is up with that? Driving past a woman lying on the ground, immobile is just sick. Maybe there is more to the story, but who the hell does that?
View Quote

Should every car fleeing pull over and check every dead body while bugging out from a deadly wildfire?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The kind of people posting in this thread that they don’t care.
View Quote

It was the local Hawaiians, that’s who did that.
That’s the Aloha spirit!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I see the edge lords have gotten done with summer school classes for the day.  
View Quote
Special Ed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
So did Klaus's arsonist go too far with this one? Or is it going to be the final nail in the coffin?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why do people imagine there are just millions of sharks waiting to eat them? A tiger will rarely bite a person if the water's clear (it is this time of year) and a hammerhead will almost never attack.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rocks.  Don't forget about smashing into the rocks.  And then having a shark chow into whatever part of you isn't already burned or broken.

Why do people imagine there are just millions of sharks waiting to eat them? A tiger will rarely bite a person if the water's clear (it is this time of year) and a hammerhead will almost never attack.

L_JE is a mountaineer and ice climber. A concern with ever present cold and gravity may distort ones view on the risks in other hobbies.

I windsurf and am in the water off Kanaha often.   Sharks are not a big concern. (Avoiding another manowar is )

Is there an estimated fire casualty count yet?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You going to pull over and check every dead body while bugging out from a deadly wildfire?
View Quote

It's not like they were on Dead Island and bodies littered the ground.

They probably were just filming out the window and didn't see her. There was a little chaos happening in the vehicle they were in, listen to all of them freaking out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I heard entire town of Lahaina burned down. Is this true? Might be good idea to cancel the vacation
View Quote

Or you can get some good discounted rates.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:. I wouldn't recommend trying to save that woman.  You're essentially in a house engulfed by flame and you're in a protective bubble. Everyone in the car will die if the doors are opened. If the car is blocking the road, everyone driving behind them will die too. Kinda like casualties in confined spaces with toxic gas or manure farms.  One person goes down.  All the people trying to rescue them die too. I'm surprised the cars didn't stall out from lack of oxygen.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.  That’s more intense than a disaster movie.  

I’ll remember this video the next time someone says “I’ll party in hell.”
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The HI gov is planning to evacuate 4000 tourists off Maui and housing them at a convention center in Oahu. Sounds like a nightmare.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been to Maui many times. We went there on our honeymoon 30 years ago. Pineapple fields, green, lush, clean air and pretty friendly. Expensive but worth it.  

Was there 5 years ago. Polluted air, traffic jams, hostility, pineapple fields gone, dry, brown and a real tinder box. And outrageously expensive. Swore we would never go back.

This isn't surprising at all.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rocks.  Don't forget about smashing into the rocks.  And then having a shark chow into whatever part of you isn't already burned or broken.

Yeah, I think that's really weird. Seems a little mentally unstable to have outlandish and exaggerated fears of things.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No care
View Quote

So fucking edgy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's okay.  The fire is contained.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend trying to save that woman.  You're essentially in a house engulfed by flame and you're in a protective bubble. Everyone in the car will die if the doors are opened. If the car is blocking the road, everyone driving behind them will die too.

Kinda like casualties in confined spaces with toxic gas or manure farms.  One person goes down.  All the people trying to rescue them die too.

I'm surprised the cars didn't stall out from lack of oxygen.
View Quote

Not saying you are wrong: those in that car were just seconds from death.

But I'd hope if I were in that situation I'd have the courage to try.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What are the odds a homeless encampment cook fire started it?
View Quote

Initial reports on Twitter - rumor, effectively - is that it started at an outbuilding containing a generator on Lahainaluna Rd, just above Lahaina town. They got that structure under control, but it ignited a brush fire that quickly spread due to the wind down into the town proper.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The gods are angry for people breaking that old tree a while ago.
View Quote
The banyan tree? I caught 2 giant Mahi on an offshore trip out of that harbor. Really wish I had bought a cheap grill and cooked in that park.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No care
View Quote

That's fucked up.

I grew up in the PNW but Hawaii and Maui is a place I would visit multiple times every year.

We have a place on Maui.  It's one of my favorite locations on Earth.

Fortunately it is not in Lahaina.

Prayers to everyone affected.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Like a said above, Not judging the action or inaction of them stopping to help that lady.

However, you all do realize they have a HIGH probability of becoming a victim as well if they did get out of the car....  The extremely hot air, the smoke..    we can all act like we white knights but come on....
View Quote

You could see how close intense flames are to the car in some parts of the video. Probably the closest I've seen in pervious videos I saw from TN's fire years back.

I wouldn't put my family at risk for it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:. I guess the price you pay for posting in GD is edgy assed little pricks coming in and shitting all over a thread when they could just keep their cock holsters shut and move on. Human suffering be damned. Idiots.
View Quote

I guess.  Maybe you should have posted in the World Events forum or the BBQ and Smoking forum.   GD is for edgy, little, soulless, ginger Assholes to post.

Edited 1387Delta - CoC 6
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

FPNI

Living in Hawaii is basically living on top of an active Volcano. Know the risks of where you live.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No care

FPNI

Living in Hawaii is basically living on top of an active Volcano. Know the risks of where you live.

You fail to realize this is a wild fire and the island of Maui is completely dormant.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#24]
That’s horrible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No care
View Quote

how? these are americans man
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You could see how close intense flames are to the car in some parts of the video. Probably the closest I've seen in pervious videos I saw from TN's fire years back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like a said above, Not judging the action or inaction of them stopping to help that lady.

However, you all do realize they have a HIGH probability of becoming a victim as well if they did get out of the car....  The extremely hot air, the smoke..    we can all act like we white knights but come on....

I'm going to say that car seemed full of 'broz' and really didn't seem to be the hero type. My son has crawled into overturned cars, climbed down in ditches, and swam into deep water to save people. Unfortunately the deep water guy died and him and his swim buddy took it kind of hard.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No care

Racism and ignorance
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the most flame retardant outfit I've got is a water-soaked Acme seal party costume ... I'm telling you, my escape is going to be set to an overdub of "...the thrill of victory ... and, the agony of defeat..."
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOVE that tree, it's amazing. I sure hope so, very sad day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there's any sort of silver lining it looks like the banyan tree survived. I feel terrible for the people though.

You just know that tree is loving all that CO2 tho
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  Our one great nation has taken a lot of hits as of late, and is crumbling at the edges and pulling apart at the seams.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Look at all the shitheads making edgy jokes

Choke yourselves.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You fail to realize this is a wild fire and the island of Maui is completely dormant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No care

FPNI

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I guess.  Maybe you should have posted in the World Events forum or the BBQ and Smoking forum.   GD is for edgy, little, soulless, ginger Assholes to post.   Edited 1387Delta CoC 6

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. I guess the price you pay for posting in GD is edgy assed little pricks coming in and shitting all over a thread when they could just keep their cock holsters shut and move on. Human suffering be damned. Idiots.

I guess.  Maybe you should have posted in the World Events forum or the BBQ and Smoking forum.   GD is for edgy, little, soulless, ginger Assholes to post.   Edited 1387Delta CoC 6

Edited 1387Delta
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If the car hasn't stalled there must be oxygen in the air to be habitable.

And people saying that the air was 500 degrees, not sure that is correct. The engine would overheat in a minute and the paint would be melting off.

Not a firefighter just know cars and combustion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend trying to save that woman.  You're essentially in a house engulfed by flame and you're in a protective bubble. Everyone in the car will die if the doors are opened. If the car is blocking the road, everyone driving behind them will die too.

Kinda like casualties in confined spaces with toxic gas or manure farms.  One person goes down.  All the people trying to rescue them die too.

I'm surprised the cars didn't stall out from lack of oxygen.

If the car hasn't stalled there must be oxygen in the air to be habitable.

And people saying that the air was 500 degrees, not sure that is correct. The engine would overheat in a minute and the paint would be melting off.

Not a firefighter just know cars and combustion.

There's a difference between what people need to live and what cars need to run.  Cars can take in hot air and CO/CO2.  People can't even if there is oxygen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep.  Our one great nation has taken a lot of hits as of late, and is crumbling at the edges and pulling apart at the seams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  As exhibited by individuals such as SimonPhoto that indicated it's not "his problem" what happens on the lands of others.  The problem with this deranged mentality is a fire on your neighbors land spreads to your own, whether that is a fire or oppressive racist Hawaiian laws that deny equal property rights to those of "the blood" of the wrong races.  The Hawaiians deserve our sympathy both for their fires and for their mentally ill unconstitutional policies.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Lahaina is normally in the wind shadow of the West Maui peaks.  

Was the wind in those videos a result of a slightly different trade direction or a local fire effect?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My uncle spends time at his condo in Maui and sent us some pictures. They're located in Kihei

https://i.ibb.co/BzPYWYb/FB-IMG-1691597253972.jpg
View Quote
We stayed in Kihei last summer and spent some time in Lahaina. It's a shame.

There aren't a whole lot of roads in the area. I heard that about 1800 had taken refuge at the airport. Others couldn't get to shelters because powerlines were blocking the road.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep.  As exhibited by individuals such as SimonPhoto that indicated it's not "his problem" what happens on the lands of others.  The problem with this deranged mentality is a fire on your neighbors land spreads to your own, whether that is a fire or oppressive racist Hawaiian laws that deny equal property rights to those of "the blood" of the wrong races.  The Hawaiians deserve our sympathy both for their fires and for their mentally ill unconstitutional policies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is 400' from my back porch.

I'm busy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477921/Banyan_png-2913847.JPG

ETA: The courthouse built in 1865 is the shell of the building in front of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477921/Banyan_png-2913847.JPG

ETA: The courthouse built in 1865 is the shell of the building in front of it.

I noticed that, very sad. I doubt the tree will make it. It's just hard to wrap your head around the whole area burning down like that so quickly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://gray-ky3-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/cn7e2xkls1cGDaDbZhJWYNBtbu4=/980x0/smart/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gray/WFZ6K4PS7JBKNIJFLX5TWH5CXQ.jpg

I'm busy.

Lol I am pro white pride, that seems great.  Nothing wrong with being proud of who you are.  Seems like a great place to live TBH, congrats.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I didnt know wildfires were a thing in Hawaii.  I thought it rained there almost daily so I assumed it would be too wet for them.

View Quote
Western Maui where this is = desert. When we were leaving the airport I was thinking "WTF did we fly into picking a damned desert for our vacation spot."

Have to go to the north or east sides for green stuff.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I guess.  Maybe you should have posted in the World Events forum or the BBQ and Smoking forum.   GD is for edgy, little, soulless, ginger Assholes to post.
Edited 1387Delta CoC 6

View Quote
And he is acknowledging that it is the price you pay for posting in GD. Sometimes though, people just need to keep quiet, or sit on their hands, as others discuss something that involves loss of life and destruction of an entire town, in America no less.

GD is going to be what it is. The petty little assholes are going to come out to play, which is to be expected, but calling them out for being petty little assholes is to be expected as well.  Sorry if that triggers you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
There are racist Hawaiians and locals that hate outsiders and tourists.  But those are a small but very vocal minority.  The vast majority of people here are welcoming to all and will help those in need.

Please do not let that minority spoil your view of Hawaii
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lol I am pro white pride, that seems great.  Nothing wrong with being proud of who you are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://gray-ky3-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/cn7e2xkls1cGDaDbZhJWYNBtbu4=/980x0/smart/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gray/WFZ6K4PS7JBKNIJFLX5TWH5CXQ.jpg

I'm busy.

Lol I am pro white pride, that seems great.  Nothing wrong with being proud of who you are.

While I admit I do enjoy the benefits of having such potent Leftist repellent so close, I will point out that this particular billboard is owned by the son of the leader of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan - who are based a few miles north of here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lol I am pro white pride, that seems great.  Nothing wrong with being proud of who you are.  Seems like a great place to live TBH.
View Quote

For sure, being proud of your race is great, a lot of east asians are super proud of theirs. We should also take more pride in our power line easements and forests out west and keep them cleaned up. But have sadly learned little since the Camp (town name) incident in california
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Driving past the poor woman was tough to watch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Driving past the poor woman was tough to watch.

That whole video was nuts!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There are racist Hawaiians and locals that hate outsiders and tourists.  But those are a small but very vocal minority.  The vast majority of people here are welcoming to all and will help those in need.

Please do not let that minority spoil your view of Hawaii
View Quote

This is true. My parents have lived in Hawaii for many years. Everyone calls my mother "mama" or "auntie".
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#49]
/ - /
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm busy.

Attorneys, ugh!
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top