Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are racist Hawaiians and locals that hate outsiders and tourists.  But those are a small but very vocal minority.  The vast majority of people here are welcoming to all and will help those in need.

Please do not let that minority spoil your view of Hawaii
View Quote

One of the times we were there they had occupied the Iolani Palace and we could not get in it. But they were happy to talk to me and tell me about their cause.

Since the times of Captain Cook, far far more racists visit Hawaii then live there. Our visits have always been 99% positive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lahaina is normally in the wind shadow of the West Maui peaks.  

Was the wind in those videos a result of a slightly different trade direction or a local fire effect?
View Quote

Hurricane winds
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Her cloths was not burned. It was not impossible to grab her and keep going. Local fires here a guy picked up a burned woman, not recognizing it was his wife, https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/09/the-desperate-fight-to-save-his-family-ends-in-tragedy.html
View Quote

Damn, that was a horrific read about that Oregon family.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]

The photos remind me of the pictures of cities that were firebombed during WW2.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Horrible
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not sure how much I buy that. And how many people passed her by before it got that bad? I will admit that I have never been in that situation and could easily be wrong, but if the outside air is that deadly, I would think that they are already fucked. I guess that gets back to my question about how much time did they have to get out before they got themselves in this situation?
View Quote

I question if the car motor would run sucking in 500 F air.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I realize this may be an ignorant statement,  

But how do wildfires happen in Hawaii?  

in my week on oahu years and years ago, it rained every day.   Not all day every day, but it rained every single day.  it was lush and green.   My understanding is that is the normal climate.  How can a wild fire spread in such a lush wet environment?  i understand a structure fire spreading to other structures, but thats not a wild fire.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]
6 people dead so far.  A few in critical condition.

Maui fires claim 6 lives: Mayor Bissen
https://www.khon2.com/maui-news/maui-residents-under-evacuation-order/
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

in my week on oahu years and years ago, it rained every day.   Not all day every day, but it rained every single day.  it was lush and green.   My understanding is that is the normal climate.  How can a wild fire spread in such a lush wet environment?  i understand a structure fire spreading to other structures, but thats not a wild fire.
View Quote

Compress all of California into like 40 miles of diameter and you have the climates of Maui. The west side is dry and the east side is record-breaking year-round rainfall.  You can drive 4 hours and go from bone dry desert, up a mountain, and down into a rainforest.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The leeward (western) side of some of the islands are dry. When you think of western Maui think of Santa Barbara in the summer.

Take a look at Lanai across the channel from Maui. It's almost all dry except the pine forest at the top of the island.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Like a said above, Not judging the action or inaction of them stopping to help that lady.

However, you all do realize they have a HIGH probability of becoming a victim as well if they did get out of the car....  The extremely hot air, the smoke..    we can all act like we white knights but come on....
View Quote

This. There's a reason she's incapacitated.

If they open their doors they expose themselves and the interior of their vehicle to those same conditions. It would be stupid. One ember lands inside and their car is going up in flames. One breath and they could be dead.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn sad to hear about this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Prayers out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No care
View Quote

Out of fucks

Maybe arrest ut antifa arsonists
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I would not feel right about driving by that woman. But in all likelihood she was already dead. And you have to consider that opening the door would have flooded the cabin with smoke. It seemed like the car might have already been full, and judging by the lights on the dashboard it may have been overheating already. I would not have wanted to be in that position, for a number of reasons. Did they get out to safety? That was pretty damn tense.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not saying you are wrong: those in that car were just seconds from death.

But I'd hope if I were in that situation I'd have the courage to try.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend trying to save that woman.  You're essentially in a house engulfed by flame and you're in a protective bubble. Everyone in the car will die if the doors are opened. If the car is blocking the road, everyone driving behind them will die too.

Kinda like casualties in confined spaces with toxic gas or manure farms.  One person goes down.  All the people trying to rescue them die too.

I'm surprised the cars didn't stall out from lack of oxygen.

Not saying you are wrong: those in that car were just seconds from death.

But I'd hope if I were in that situation I'd have the courage to try.

And you'd have likely died and killed the people in your car and anyone following you.  Triage the situation.  What were you going to do, perform CPR?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
You can always leave it to some people in GD to brag about how they don't care about other people.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#25]
The loss of 34 dollar stores may be unrecoverable.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#27]
That area is our favorite vacation destination.  Devastated to see this.  Was planning on taking my Mother for a vacation in April next year.....  Terrible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#28]
6 declared dead.

One of the fires on the south end is coming to the area where our place is.

This is not good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Already kind of explained but HI sits where winds come in predominantly from east to west. Moisture comes in off the ocean but since these are volcanic islands with big mountains in the center the moisture gets diverted around the mountains. The western slopes of those mountains don't see much rain.

Eastern slopes = rainforest while western slopes = dry

We are used to in the mainland US of wind mainly coming from the west and heading east. They just sit in a different pattern that goes east to west.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Video from Front street this morning after the fire.
View Quote

Somebody needs to make a meme with the guy sitting in the chair, "Let it all burn".
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hurricane winds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the wind in those videos a result of a slightly different trade direction or a local fire effect?

Hurricane winds
The actual hurricane is hundreds of miles away.  The winds aren't from "the Hurricane", but are probably being influenced by it to some extent.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

People are jumping into the ocean to escape.

View Quote
Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin'.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The actual hurricane is hundreds of miles away.  The winds aren't from "the Hurricane", but are probably being influenced by it to some extent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hurricane winds

Here is a 40 second video link that shows how Dora is affecting the fire:

Weather.com
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Western sides of Maui are pretty dry this time of year.  The rainfall comes from the northeast and is shed over the eastern slopes of Haleakala and the West Maui mountains.

Every Hawaiian island is like that, expect for the ones in a permanent lee, like Lanai and Kahoolawe.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow....just booked for early November in Kihei. Haven't bought the airfare yet, but got the Condo. Gonna keep an eye on this for sure. What a tough time for the people over there. I hope they recover best they can.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Hate to see that......Lahaina was a great place when I visited there
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What are the odds a homeless encampment cook fire started it?
View Quote

Very likely
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Biden to Hawaii...Sorry, Ukraine needs the money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Another victim of our absolutely idiotic "only you can prevent forest fires" approach to wildfires.

Many small wild fires, no big wild fires.

No small wild fires, big wild fires.

Underbrush, dead trees, etc need to burn before there's so much fuel that a small fire quickly becomes unmanageable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Aerial footage shows Lahaina wildfire devastation | RAW VIDEO
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Another victim of our absolutely idiotic "only you can prevent forest fires" approach to wildfires.

Underbrush, dead trees, etc need to burn before there's so much fuel that a small fire quickly becomes unmanageable.
View Quote

That island is solid blue, so I imagine it's like California where they just blow off forest management because of climate change cult beliefs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That island is solid blue, so I imagine it's like California where they just blow off forest management because of climate change cult beliefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Of this, I have no doubt.  "But trees are carbon reservoirs!"  They are, until they burn to ash because they weren't subject to smaller, lower temperature fires.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sad, I was in Lahaina 2 weeks ago, beautiful historic tourist town.
View Quote

When I was 16 my parents sent me to a "Keep you kid out of trouble for the summer program" for 10 weeks. It was basically a minimum security work camp picking pineapples for the summer. It was just outside of Lahaina, and Front st. was one of our favorites places to hang out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#44]
What is the insurance situation like there? Under insured, no insurance, or mandated insurance?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wildfires on the Big Island as well.

There's apparently a wildfire near where we are moving in a few years.  Because we own the land, we are on the mailing list for the community, and there were some panicked emails yesterday.  The fire jumped across the highway, which freaked out a lot of people.  Apparently a building was lost further south, and in the community across the street a roof caught fire - but the house was saved.
View Quote

Yeah, bro. Cops were going door to door and suggesting folks in our subdivisions evacuate. Kohala Ranch still had a mandatory evacuation in place. Road closures North of us and also the highway near the Mauna Kea resort.

Nothing like Maui though. They’re fucked over there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The east side of Maui is nice and green, the west side is damn a desert dry. We go 1 or times a year, was just there for 2 weeks in Early May. We stay just south of Napilli
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tommy Lee Curtis - Volcano 2
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rain shadow.

When my dad was stationed in HI, it was out at Barber's Point NAS, way on the western side. It wasn't uncommon for the grass to die, the longest it went without rain was a month straight once and there was a burn ban.

I remember the first time we took a trip over the mountains, like you said, lush and green. Completely different.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top