BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Maui experience?

For west coast and .gov retired white transplants, and political machine people, yes you are right.  For most Asian, Polynesian and long term whites, (D) means lots of services.  They are not progressives, and would likely be cool with sound fire management practices. "Climate change" is not even on their radar.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That island is solid blue, so I imagine it's like California where they just blow off forest management because of climate change cult beliefs.

My Maui experience?

For west coast and .gov retired white transplants, and political machine people, yes you are right.  For most Asian, Polynesian and long term whites, (D) means lots of services.  They are not progressives, and would likely be cool with sound fire management practices. "Climate change" is not even on their radar.

That may be but if they're voting D they're going to get the whole package.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I haven't seen an "estimate" on twitter, just the 6 reported, but you look at those pics and the fact people had to evac quickly I highly doubt that's an accurate number.

I've been in the basement for many a tornado, but man, those fire videos are scary as hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably way too early to know but do they have any estimates of the death toll from this disaste?

I haven't seen an "estimate" on twitter, just the 6 reported, but you look at those pics and the fact people had to evac quickly I highly doubt that's an accurate number.

I've been in the basement for many a tornado, but man, those fire videos are scary as hell.

It might go up a little bit but usually most people seem to get away from these things even though it's chaotic.

Yeah I agree it's scary.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone got any good ideas for getting info from Maui? My wife is Hawaiian and has a ton of family and friends in Lahaina and we can’t get ahold of ANYONE there. Just trying to figure out if her people are alive at this point.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Knowing that area, this is a little different than most of the us, a lot of big family’s in little old cane homes. 8-10 people is not uncommon from the older family’s hanging on, I’m giving a rough guess at 15k people loosing their homes, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a death toll hit 1k

This is also busy summer months for Maui, hotels are full, restaurants are popping, tourists don’t know what to do when shit gos south. This is gonna get real ugly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knowing that area, this is a little different than most of the us, a lot of big family’s in little old cane homes. 8-10 people is not uncommon from the older family’s hanging on, I’m giving a rough guess at 15k people loosing their homes, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a death toll hit 1k

This is also busy summer months for Maui, hotels are full, restaurants are popping, tourists don’t know what to do when shit gos south. This is gonna get real ugly

1,000 people dead? I'd be shocked at that I sure hope you're not right.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone got any good ideas for getting info from Maui? My wife is Hawaiian and has a ton of family and friends in Lahaina and we can't get ahold of ANYONE there. Just trying to figure out if her people are alive at this point.
View Quote
Maui fires people locator list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WAA1iFGIOT7H3xJcr5aRgqVbUdwPnJkBolBc-eFFlJE/htmlview
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm hearing the Safeway burned down.
View Quote

I think it’s still there. I know it may sound cringe but it’s probably a good thing. There aren’t any other supermarkets in the vicinity and the parking lot is a decent size. There were other food options in the Maui Outlets but those are gone.

Here’s a picture from one of the helicopter flights showing the Safeway still standing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Amazing man, thank you!
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Social media, the internet and political name calling has got some of you all completely fucked up.

Most left wing voters aren't the nut jobs on Twitter that want conservatives to die.  Most conservatives aren't Nazis like those neftist nut jobs claim.

If you laugh at shit burning because someone voted for Biden, you're probably a real shit head.  It must be miserable living life through that lense.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:58:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 3:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Blue state, let it burn...
View Quote

Says the cunt from NY.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 3:30:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hopefully the membership will not be renewed for the leadership of Maui either.  Those dumbasses placed all kind of restrictions on short term rentals that paid for ADUs.  Now the dumbasses are begging for people to open up their rental and ADU properties to shelter the dispossessed, after they went out of their way to make it hell for people to have such accommodations in the first place.  It is very low IQ thinking to hamstring the housing you need to provide for your people during catastrophe, but the imbeciles in their government managed to do it.  "Must preserve the character of muh community, regulate the airbnbs!  Wait wait nevermind all our shit burned down, open up the rentals that we tried to fuck you over on!"  Fucking clowns should refund all the permitting and taxing fees they extorted out of the locals and apologize.

Hopefully this is a lesson to places with wildfire issues in general.  The sorry ass "character" of your community doesn't mean dick if your residents have nowhere to go when half the county burns down.  Y'all were so busy fucking over your fellow man you forgot him having an extra rental property on the side meant the senior citizen who's house was engulfed in flames may have a roof to sleep under and doesn't just mean you have to suffer the intolerable effect of gasp some haole taking a rest in your neighbor's ADU.
View Quote

Just how long have you been living here in Hawaii?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think it’s still there. I know it may sound cringe but it’s probably a good thing. There aren’t any other supermarkets in the vicinity and the parking lot is a decent size. There were other food options in the Maui Outlets but those are gone.

Here’s a picture from one of the helicopter flights showing the Safeway still standing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477921/4B81995D-B498-4CAF-98D0-D84383250C18_png-2914583.JPG
View Quote

I hope you are right,  lots of talk and rumors going around here right now.  I don't think anyone has a clear picture.

All I know is everyone from Maui with me right now knows someone who lost a home or business in Lahaina or elsewhere.

Anyone who thinks this is a good thing because the state is mostly Dem can fuck right off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 3:50:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully the membership will not be renewed for the leadership of Maui either.  Those dumbasses placed all kind of restrictions on short term rentals that paid for ADUs.  Now the dumbasses are begging for people to open up their rental and ADU properties to shelter the dispossessed, after they went out of their way to make it hell for people to have such accommodations in the first place.  It is very low IQ thinking to hamstring the housing you need to provide for your people during catastrophe, but the imbeciles in their government managed to do it.  "Must preserve the character of muh community, regulate the airbnbs!  Wait wait nevermind all our shit burned down, open up the rentals that we tried to fuck you over on!"  Fucking clowns should refund all the permitting and taxing fees they extorted out of the locals and apologize.

Hopefully this is a lesson to places with wildfire issues in general.  The sorry ass "character" of your community doesn't mean dick if your residents have nowhere to go when half the county burns down.  Y'all were so busy fucking over your fellow man you forgot him having an extra rental property on the side meant the senior citizen who's house was engulfed in flames may have a roof to sleep under and doesn't just mean you have to suffer the intolerable effect of gasp some haole taking a rest in your neighbor's ADU.

It's telling I hear all this yapping about how long you have or haven't lived in a particular spot but not a single fucking rebuttal for the asinine land and property rights policies of the island that have contributed to the aftermath of the disaster.  When someone appeals to authority you know they have a weak case.  The boneheads in charge of the island yapped on and on about muh neigborhood "character" and the dangers of airbnb properties all so they could fuck their residents into not having the housing they needed in this disaster.  Again the residents deserve all the help they can get, but any rebuilding of government and public facilities should be contingent on the restoring of property rights and constitutional rights instead of using the public institutions for evil as has been done in Maui.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 3:56:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Rebuilding in Hawaii will be a bitch I bet.

Labor costs oh shit!

Materials cost holy shit!

Extra shipping costs, fuck me!

These people are fucked, a good tent and a good shed will be home for a while once that shit can even get there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#15]
36 deaths so far.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Seeing reports that 36 people are confirmed dead in Maui so far.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Seeing reports that 36 people are confirmed dead in Maui so far.
View Quote

That’s from a county press release, it’s legit.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#19]
The fire is getting closer to our place on the south end.

Everyone is safe, but I'm not sure if it will get to the property or not.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The fire is getting closer to our place on the south end.

Everyone is safe, but I'm not sure if it will get to the property or not.
View Quote

Have the winds died down any and how much of the fire is contained?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Labor costs oh shit!

These people are fucked, a good tent and a good shed will be home for a while once that shit can even get there.
View Quote

I can’t even imagine.  Everything is constrained and  there are difficulties expanding options…. Shipping for example.  There’s a barge schedule from Oahu and it has its capacity as does the “port”.  

Even the road to Lahaina is limited.  Crews and materials will be in traffic all day.

We were just talking about planning another trip in March.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
36 deaths so far.
View Quote

terrible
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Labor costs oh shit!

View Quote

Labor I would think will be the biggest thing.  In parts of NC after a hurricane, it seems like some people have to wait months for someone to fix their homes, and this is in a location people from the entire US can drive to. I cant imagine how it will work in a place where you’d have to fly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh look, another edge lord, fuck you...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just goes to show how divided we are as a country.  9/12/01 was the last day I truly saw America as I knew her.  

We’re over the threshold and now we’re good and fucked.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Crazy.

Wind-driven fire is terrifying.
View Quote

Yep, you have no control and have to ride it out. And in this case on an island... crazy. RIP those who died.

I can't imagine the cost to rebuild there. It will be decades for some things to come back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You live in New York you twisted fuck.

How sad to have been poisoned by politics so bad
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1,000 people dead? I'd be shocked at that I sure hope you're not right.
View Quote

This is very similar to the paradise California fire, there’s only really 2 ways in and out of Lahaina and a lot of old roads and lots of tourists

Paradise fire ended up killing nearly a thousand people if I’m not mistaken.
Given the similarities I’m not gonna be shocked if we rack up the death toll that high, it took over a month in paradise California to count up all the fatalities

I really hope I’m wrong but I’m gonna base that as a similar event
There is probbably 6 miles of coastline completely leveled by fire and it started way up the hill near the high school from the fly over videos, that’s a sizeable area of destruction
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Did they leave that woman laying on the street?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477921/4B81995D-B498-4CAF-98D0-D84383250C18_png-2914583.JPG
View Quote

Seeing the roof that intact gives me hope, that Safeway was the first real grocery store on that side of the island
I started working at that Safeway in 1999 bagging grocery’s, even after other large grocery stores were popping up we were still the number 2 Safeway store by sales totals in the entire company. I doubt the foodland in the middle of town survived
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#31]
What's driving Maui's devastating fires, and how climate change is fueling those conditions

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfires-climate-change-92c0930be7c28ec9ac71392a83c87582

They can't help themselves.
Never let a crisis...
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Absolutely terrible

I loved Lahaina when I spent a few weeks there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is very similar to the paradise California fire, there’s only really 2 ways in and out of Lahaina and a lot of old roads and lots of tourists

Paradise fire ended up killing nearly a thousand people if I’m not mistaken.
Given the similarities I’m not gonna be shocked if we rack up the death toll that high, it took over a month in paradise California to count up all the fatalities

I really hope I’m wrong but I’m gonna base that as a similar event
There is probbably 6 miles of coastline completely leveled by fire and it started way up the hill near the high school from the fly over videos, that’s a sizeable area of destruction
View Quote

Camp Fire killed 85 but it very well could have been 1,000. It took weeks of us digging thru the rubble to get the final count as well.

The same will happen here. USAR teams will grid and dig each plot until they find a tooth or a bone.

Sad deal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#34]
There is absolutely no reason this should have happened, a lot of people should be getting fired and not reelected.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Terrible what is happening.

On another note. Threads like this always do a good job of reinforcing the fact that half the gun owners and supposed “like minded people” here are in fact trash humans.

Half of you are scumbags. Right up there with the Bidens.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Were those vehicles trying to evac?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Says the cunt from NY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the cunt from NY.

Pretty sure that was the joke
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Labor costs oh shit!

View Quote

Not to mention almost everyone in that area will have to relocate off the island. They are going to rely heavily on donations of money, goods, and labor. I bet many will step up in the rebuild effort. They need to start buy placing the new power lines underground. It will take a least a decade to return to some sort of normalcy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#39]
The people in this thread cheering this on are beyond crass. Dozens of people dead, Americans burned alive, generational homes gone, and the heart of Hawaiian culture destroyed and all you have to say is, "hurr durr blue state fuck 'em".

Today you, tomorrow me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just goes to show how divided we are as a country.  9/12/01 was the last day I truly saw America as I knew her.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. It would be interesting to see the response from this board if 9/11 would have happened today. I bet you'd get a lot of the same responses we've seen in this thread.  FFS there's even a guy from NY, of all fucking places, happy about it because Hawai'i is a blue state.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The people in this thread cheering this on are beyond crass. Dozens of people dead, Americans burned alive, generational homes gone, and the heart of Hawaiian culture destroyed and all you have to say is, "hurr durr blue state fuck 'em".

Today you, tomorrow me.
View Quote

Leadership should clean house, this thread is a great litmus test for identifying the worst of GD who really poison the place.  Why would they want users like that on the site?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup. It would be interesting to see the response from this board if 9/11 would have happened today. I bet you'd get a lot of the same responses we've seen in this thread.  FFS there's even a guy from NY, of all fucking places, happy about it because Hawai'i is a blue state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 4channing of GD is complete.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Today you, tomorrow me.
View Quote

Many people here don’t see people in blue states as “real Americans”, it’s absolutely disgusting.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#44]
I hate some of you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#45]
GD is gonna GD, don't care who you are or where you live!

Being from CA, I just laugh when the ant burners get started.

You've always had to have thick skin here, don't take it personally and move on.

When the next disaster hits somewhere, it'll start all over again. Don't ask for more rules here, you'll just be pissed when you catch a ban for violating them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not to mention almost everyone in that area will have to relocate off the island. They are going to rely heavily on donations of money, goods, and labor. I bet many will step up in the rebuild effort. They need to start buy placing the new power lines underground. It will take a least a decade to return to some sort of normalcy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Labor costs oh shit!

Not sure placing the power lines underground would work there and if it did work, it would be expensive as hell.  It's mostly lava rock and gets flooded during storm surges.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Labor costs oh shit!

View Quote

The worst part about construction in Hawaii was having to schedule around the surf report.

Have to bring in labor from the mainland if you want to hold any sort of schedule.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The worst part about construction in Hawaii was having to schedule around the surf report.

Have to bring in labor from the mainland if you want to hold any sort of schedule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Labor costs oh shit!

Well, it wouldn't be Hawai'i if it wasn't like that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Damn. Talk about yet another thing that wasn’t on my bingo card. I honestly had no clue until now that non-volcanic fires were a real risk in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#50]
This reminds me of the wildfires in Gatlinburg TN a few years ago, well with the exception of a bunch of dicks cheering it on.

I have a friend who lives on Maui, she's OK as far as I know.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top