BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s so fucking cringe.

Participation medal you get after graduating basic.

Whoa slow down stacking bodies bro save some for the rest of us.

CIB or a CAR? I’ll allow it.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think DOD initially rejected this one from Korea but i think it’s now authorized so who knows maybe Cold War could someday

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1017_jpeg-3161033.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think DOD initially rejected this one from Korea but i think it’s now authorized so who knows maybe Cold War could someday

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1017_jpeg-3161033.JPG

What's that one called? Anyone can get a KDSM, I thought. @CarmelBytheSea

Quoted:
Quoted:
That’s so fucking cringe.

Participation medal you get after graduating basic.

Whoa slow down stacking bodies bro save some for the rest of us.

CIB or a CAR? I’ll allow it.

+1

+2
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+2
View Quote

Even the Army's CAB. If you're a clerk and you have a gunfight with the Taliban, I'm down with that shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#4]
0/10 would not wear. If thats your thing cool but my military service is not my identity.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
0/10 would not wear. If thats your thing cool but my military service is not my identity.
View Quote

I talk about my experience but it was a long time ago and I identify as a Grandfather and duck guide.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I talk about my experience but it was a long time ago and I identify as a Grandfather and duck guide.
View Quote

I identify as a shitposter and video game nerd.

My family likes the award stuff, so I keep my uniforms in pristine shape in case they want to do something with them later.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Even the Army's CAB. If you're a clerk and you have a gunfight with the Taliban, I'm down with that shit.
View Quote

Oh 100%…there’s plenty of CABs during AFG/Iraq that were pretty legit  getting into gun fights and blown the fuck up. There’s also a shit ton that were given as freebies when a fuckin rocket or mortar landed like a klick away and the fobbits had to spill their green beans running for a bunker and would get a CAB.

I’ve heard stories about some dudes getting FreeIBs (CIBs without getting into actual combat but I’ve never directly seen it I any unit I served with…they followed the wording to the letter you had to “ actively close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires”.

CMB deserves a mention too…Docs need love.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, as a United States Marine enlisted man, it is really hard to complete three years of undetected crime!  

I made Sgt. in just over two years (I was really good at doing things Marines do); because I didn’t have a Good Conduct medal, everyone thought I was a shit bird.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh 100%…there’s plenty of CABs during AFG/Iraq that were pretty legit  getting into gun fights and blown the fuck up. There’s also a shit ton that were given as freebies when a fuckin rocket or mortar landed like a klick away and the fobbits had to spill their green beans running for a bunker and would get a CAB.

I’ve heard stories about some dudes getting FreeIBs (CIBs without getting into actual combat but I’ve never directly seen it I any unit I served with…they followed the wording to the letter you had to “ actively close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires”.

View Quote

I know one guy who got his CIB that way. Pressure plate IED went off damaging the Hummer he was driving (1SG's truck). No other enemy contact.

It was back when people were getting them for IEDs when they were added as criteria for initiating contact and they were getting confused as the only needed element instead of IEDs being the initiation of a TIC (2009).
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

People always slip through the cracks. My assertion is that, #1 They all volunteered. #2 they went when called and didn't try to get out it. #3 Most of them did what was asked.
I'll give an example. A group of (insert non combat MOS troops) get attacked. Two guys in that group man the fuck up and go hard against the enemy while 6 of them jump into a hole and try not to die. The entire group get a CAB. I'm Okay with that. It might not be the right thing but I'm good with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey, as a United States Marine enlisted man, it is really hard to complete three years of undetected crime!  

I made Sgt. in just over two years (I was really good at doing things Marines do); because I didn’t have a Good Conduct medal, everyone thought I was a shit bird.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It took me almost 5 years to make Sergeant.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It took me almost 5 years to make Sergeant.
View Quote

Took me longer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Took me longer.
View Quote

I don't have a problem with it. I most likely wasn't ready before that time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't have a problem with it. I most likely wasn't ready before that time.
View Quote

I definitely wasn't serious enough for the responsibility.

I fixed that, though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I never considered an MSM a high enough award to brag about.
View Quote

I chuckle a little bit when I see the plates, but good on them for taking money back from the USG...unless their state doesn't allow that and they actually paid for them...

The PH plates were an easy sell.  Free, and a lot of states give you free tolls and shit like that.

I've got a pile of BSM's and never once thought about getting plates until the lady at the DMV asked if I had one when I was registering my wife's car. $12 bucks later I was proud to tell the world I was a BSM recipient.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Isn’t that the military’s version of a participation trophy
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#18]
NDSM is a participation trophy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know one guy who got his CIB that way. Pressure plate IED went off damaging the Hummer he was driving (1SG's truck). No other enemy contact.

It was back when people were getting them for IEDs when they were added as criteria for initiating contact and they were getting confused as the only needed element instead of IEDs being the initiation of a TIC (2009).
View Quote

I had a CAB as a 19 series PV2 in an Infantry company three days after getting to Iraq for running a .50 in a TIC until I was black on ammo.  We got our combat awards before any of the 11Bs did, they weren't happy about that. I've probably earned it 40 or 50 times over since then.

I have seen CIBs for IEDs, for IDF, for just about everything. I've seen SF ODAs bring out their staff and fake firefights for CIBs.  Once an award is designed its a measure tied to competition, there's going to be all kinds of funky shit going on with them.  Hell, the other day I just saw a retroactive purple heart awarded because a guy was fucking with a UXO and fragged himself and 4 other people. I called him out during his celebration.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: Hell, the other day I just saw a retroactive purple heart awarded because a guy was fucking with a UXO and fragged himself and 4 other people. I called him out during his celebration.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For all of you GD war heroes, what WOULD be an appropriate award to adorn across your motorcycle jacket?

Good Conduct would be hilarious.
View Quote

Captain Sarcasm that I am, I wore my Good Conduct medal lapel pin once to a wedding.

The only one that knew what it was was another vet. He snarfed when he realized what it was and said, "Good one!"

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’m so clueless I’ve been missing out on the possibility of cheaper plates but I have gotten into national parks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ll be damned. Wonder if MSM plates are discounted. I don’t have any cool-guy warhero ones, but I’ve got some MSM’s and Air Medals

I’m so clueless I’ve been missing out on the possibility of cheaper plates but I have gotten into national parks

The only cheaper plate option in California that I’m aware of is 100% disabled due to a mobility condition. Buddy of mine with two bad knees was able to get the county veteran services officer to sign off on the paperwork. The VA medical center refused to. Unfortunately there’s no discounted vet plate that not also a handicapped plate
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
if hes proud of it then good for him! Id rather have more of his kind than some blue haird gayqyeers flying their sex flag
View Quote

True there’s a fuck ton of those in D.C. and NYC
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe he enjoys irony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a jacket you get at the store.  That's a motorcycle club.  Their center patch is a ribbon they've earned, according to their website.   That guy who rode past you is a hero.  He earned the NDSM.
Maybe he enjoys irony.

You never know. Maybe he really has a DSC or a Navy Cross and a sense of humor.

I once knew an old 442 RCT vet that used to tell new guys at the Legion that he was in Japanese aviation supply and handed out crash helmets to Kamikaze pilots. He was one funny deadpan character when I knew him.

The other WW2 guys at the legion used to laugh like hell when he did that.

I was sad to hear he passed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

+2
View Quote

@11boomboom

https://www.afpc.af.mil/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/421898/republic-of-korea-korean-war-service-medal/
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Interesting. The one I saw was the mostly blue one when I searched for Korean War medal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes the national defense service medal is.

The Meritorious service medal is actually a higher medal that is for actual achievement
View Quote

MSM's used to be handed out like CoA's to SNCO's and Field Grades for not getting relieved on a deployment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

MSM's used to be handed out like CoA's to SNCO's and Field Grades for not getting relieved on a deployment.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are getting an MSM in a combat zone you are about as far from the pointy end as possible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If I recall Congress shot it down and everyone was sent certificates or some kind of paper
View Quote

Authorized by Congress in the NDAA of 2002, but Donald Rumsfeld decided not to award it because it would cost the DoD too much money.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, a jacket like that would definitely make it easier for me at the Veteran's Day Golden Corral Free Buffet so I don't have to wear my full uniform so everyone can give me the proper recognition I so richly deserve and thanx me for my cervix.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, a jacket like that would definitely make it easier for me at the Veteran's Day Golden Corral Free Buffet so I don't have to wear my full uniform so everyone can give me the proper recognition I so richly deserve and thanx me for my cervix.

https://everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Stolen-Valor.jpg

View Quote

Basic EOD badge, what a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you are getting an MSM in a combat zone you are about as far from the pointy end as possible.
View Quote

That maybe in your experience, but not in mine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
US Army 1970-2012. I have three of them. In basic (1970) at the sunny and pleasant Fort Bragg it was called the "Fire Guard Ribbon". The mark of a true warrior who would do anything for a drink between  2400 hrs - 0500 hrs.  Was issued and became proficient with the fire guard stick aka broom handle.
View Quote

Damn.  42 years across several conflicts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That maybe in your experience, but not in mine.
View Quote

A BSM is the exact same award for a combat theater.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Damn.  42 years across several conflicts.
View Quote

Yeah, Smaj puttin' in work.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A BSM is the exact same award for a combat theater.
View Quote

They awarded those to LTs and PSGs. 1SGs and CPTs got MSMs for our Afghanistan deployment. CSM/SGM and LTCs got MSMs on my Iraq deployment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#40]
The NDSM is one slight step above the rainbow ribbon. Still utterly useless.

Frankly, I think the only medal that really deserves praise is the MOH. Those require more scrutiny than most.  Lord knows they give out Bronze and Silver stars like candy to officers.  Most people never look twice for a V device on them.  We all know the “staged” PHs, CIBs, and CABs. Hell we had a guy who tried to put in for a PH because he twisted his ankle running for cover during a mortar attack.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They awarded those to LTs and PSGs. 1SGs and CPTs got MSMs for our Afghanistan deployment. CSM/SGM and LTCs got MSMs on my Iraq deployment.
View Quote

They tried to delineate combat exposure by position, bless their hearts, which is not correct.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Frankly, I think the only medal that really deserves praise is the MOH. Those require more scrutiny than most.  Lord knows they give out Bronze and Silver stars like candy to officers.  Most people never look twice for a V device on them.  We all know the “staged” PHs, CIBs, and CABs. Hell we had a guy who tried to put in for a PH because he twisted his ankle running for cover during a mortar attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think any award with a "V" device deserves praise. Same for CIB/CAB/CMB and PH.

Quoted:

They tried to delineate combat exposure by position, bless their hearts, which is not correct.

They did. Dick move, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What about one with a 2 device on it?  Can you get a 2 device?
View Quote

Lol, NCOES ribbon
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I chuckle a little bit when I see the plates, but good on them for taking money back from the USG...unless their state doesn't allow that and they actually paid for them...

The PH plates were an easy sell.  Free, and a lot of states give you free tolls and shit like that.

I've got a pile of BSM's and never once thought about getting plates until the lady at the DMV asked if I had one when I was registering my wife's car. $12 bucks later I was proud to tell the world I was a BSM recipient.
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lol, NCOES ribbon
View Quote

OSR has numerals, too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Interesting. The one I saw was the mostly blue one when I searched for Korean War medal.
View Quote

That’s the original 1950s United Nations issue medals but the ROK wanted to award their own Republic of Korea medal I think on the 50th anniversary of the Korean War and Pentagon initially said it would not be authorized as if some Clint Eastwood aged Korea war vets gave a shit what the Pentagon announced proved. I’m not sure when it finally became authorized without looking up info online
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think any award with a "V" device deserves praise. Same for CIB/CAB/CMB and PH.

They did. Dick move, IMO.
View Quote

It's all smoke and magic.  That CPT with the MSM will just get another for PCSing a year later, degrading the whole purpose of the first one.

Rank tied to awards or award quotas are nonsense anyway. Luckily I've never managed to fall into that trap in my career. Got my first V device as a PFC, got my first BSM as an E5. Everything past that is just growing share prices for rackbuilder.com.

Here's another neat variable, time. I've seen a lot of issues with Ranger Regiment and SF Groups having problems getting BSMs approved because they do short tours and often need to combine deployments to get one.  But then I've seen NMF dudes with 7-8 BSM's due to short tours.

In the end, the only thing I can say about awards is everything is made up and the points dont matter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

The MoH is the most political medal of all. They gave Billy Dixon a medal of honor for his actions at the battles of adobe walls and then tried to take it away because he was a scout for the army but not a soldier. he said, no thank you. It hangs in a museum in Amarillo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lol, NCOES ribbon
View Quote

Overseas service ribbon too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

In the end, the only thing I can say about awards is everything is made up and the points dont matter.
View Quote

I mean, that's basically the thing. Personal awards can have meaning for the individual. The awards I'm proudest of are my CIB and stack of OSRs because it used to trip people out how much time I was overseas.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top