BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That’s the original 1950s United Nations issue medals but the ROK wanted to award their own Republic of Korea medal I think on the 50th anniversary of the Korean War and Pentagon initially said it would not be authorized as if some Clint Eastwood aged Korea war vets gave a shit what the Pentagon announced proved. I’m not sure when it finally became authorized without looking up info online
View Quote

I got this coin with my KDSM. Never really looked into it, but I thought it was cool.

Attachment Attached File

I really enjoyed my time in Korea. I visited the War Museum of Korea probably a dozen times. Fascinating place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think DOD initially rejected this one from Korea but i think it’s now authorized so who knows maybe Cold War could someday

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1017_jpeg-3161033.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the certificate.  The ribbon you have to buy yourself.

I think DOD initially rejected this one from Korea but i think it’s now authorized so who knows maybe Cold War could someday

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1017_jpeg-3161033.JPG

Congress’ primary reason for rejecting the Cold War Medal was the cost to buy and ship Cold War Medals to all the Cold War veterans. Their decision wasn’t based on whether or not the medal was warranted, but based on the fact they didn’t want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey, as a United States Marine enlisted man, it is really hard to complete three years of undetected crime!  

I made Sgt. in just over two years (I was really good at doing things Marines do); because I didn’t have a Good Conduct medal, everyone thought I was a shit bird.
View Quote

Similar situation here. I made SGT a year before I was even eligible for a GCM. Two years.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, a jacket like that would definitely make it easier for me at the Veteran's Day Golden Corral Free Buffet so I don't have to wear my full uniform so everyone can give me the proper recognition I so richly deserve and thanx me for my cervix.

https://everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Stolen-Valor.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't have a problem with it. I most likely wasn't ready before that time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took me longer.

I don't have a problem with it. I most likely wasn't ready before that time.

I made it in two years and most definitely didn’t have the experience to be a Sergeant. I had the maturity and ambition, but not enough experience. It was a challenge. I even passed the E-6 Board before I ETS’d at four years. I was also offered an Appointment to West Point by MG Funk when he was 3rd AD Commander. I was sent to West Point for orientation but decided against it (long story).

I’m not sure how I managed all that.

To be fair, I was Reserves for two years before going Active duty, so when I started on Active duty my records showed I had 22 months TIS and 12 months as PFC, so promotions were somewhat accelerated after that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The NDSM is one slight step above the rainbow ribbon. Still utterly useless.

Frankly, I think the only medal that really deserves praise is the MOH. Those require more scrutiny than most.  Lord knows they give out Bronze and Silver stars like candy to officers.  Most people never look twice for a V device on them.  We all know the “staged” PHs, CIBs, and CABs. Hell we had a guy who tried to put in for a PH because he twisted his ankle running for cover during a mortar attack.
View Quote

I don’t think they give out Silver Stars like candy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I made it in two years and most definitely didn’t have the experience to be a Sergeant. I had the maturity and ambition, but not enough experience. It was a challenge. I even passed the E-6 Board before I ETS’d at four years. I was also offered an Appointment to West Point by MG Funk when he was 3rd AD Commander. I was sent to West Point for orientation but decided against it (long story).

To be fair, I was Reserves for two years before going Active duty, so when I started on Active duty my records showed I had 22 months TIS and 12 months as PFC, so promotions were somewhat accelerated after that.
View Quote

That's pretty wild. I was painfully average.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone had one from just enlisting. IMO the most useless service medal ever issued...
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
NDSM?  LOL it's the cheapest "everybody gets a trophy" ribbon ever.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Isn’t that the military’s version of a participation trophy
View Quote

Yes, I have one and I never left the States. I wore a red Unit Citation also but that was for something the 80th Division of the 5th Army did in the Korean War. Those were the only two medals I had. After all, I was drafted and was only in 2 years. I can finally get into that uniform (Class A Greens) again but I haven't ventured outside with it on - maybe next Veterans' Day.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
fire guard ribbon
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I don’t think I was anything special, either. Things just fell into place. I did well in school and was really good at taking promotion boards, but as I mentioned, passing boards and having enough experience to do the job are two different things.

I think I did OK, but should have happened a couple of years later.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For all of you GD war heroes, what WOULD be an appropriate award to adorn across your motorcycle jacket?

Good Conduct would be hilarious.
View Quote

MOH
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

John Kerry
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nobody gives a shit about any awards one received except that person.
View Quote

The police do when they let me go with a warning. PH plate
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
That’s gayer than 3 guys fuckin 2 guys.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Back in the day, Vietnam, we use to say about the colors of the NDSM:

1. Red for the blood I never shed.
2. Blue for the ocean I never crossed.
3. Yellow for the stripe down my back.

I got two of them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think any award with a "V" device deserves praise. Same for CIB/CAB/CMB and PH.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think any award with a "V" device deserves praise. Same for CIB/CAB/CMB and PH.

Aww, this post had me feeling special, CMB, PH, ARCOM-V and a muhfuggin Mechanics Badge.

Then I saw this post:

Quoted:

My PH plate didn't get me out of the $267 ticket I paid Tuesday. But I get free license plates/registration on all my vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Aww, this post had me feeling special, CMB, PH, ARCOM-V and a muhfuggin Mechanics Badge.

Then I saw this post:

My PH plate didn't get me out of the $267 ticket I paid Tuesday. But I get free license plates/registration on all my vehicles.
View Quote

CMB doesn't get enough love
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#22]
That reminds me, i'm short one Good Conduct Medal because of that one time I did a thing and ended up getting promoted to SSgt two different times.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I saw this post:

Fuck yeah….Docs are awesome. Honorary grunts…always.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. Docs always have a special place in my heart. They really are the unsung heroes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ones with V devices maybe. Officers give each other awards to each other cuz they love to jerk each other off. I’ve seen plenty of officers with a whole lotta fruit salad, bronze and silver stars included, but not one V device.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, I received a participation medal from Uncle Sam.

No, I would never do anything to advertise that fact.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Last time I was at the Pentagon and saw a couple meritorious service medal license plates, this time National Defense Service Medal.

After this https://www.dvidshub.net/video/915823/officials-testify-pacific-islands-strategy the weather was nice for the weekend in the beltway so I swung by Annapolis before heading to NYC.

Saw this guy pass by me

People can buy and wear whatever they like, freedom of choice but im wondering why I keep seeing these kinds of medals rather than campaign medals or valor awards. I’m guessing that jacket wasn’t cheap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_0983_jpeg-3160842.JPG

View Quote

That is about the poguest pogue shit I've ever seen
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only cheaper plate option in California that I’m aware of is 100% disabled due to a mobility condition. Buddy of mine with two bad knees was able to get the county veteran services officer to sign off on the paperwork. The VA medical center refused to. Unfortunately there’s no discounted vet plate that not also a handicapped plate
View Quote

I see, I think California was also one of the few states not offering public university fee waivers for vets. When I was at Ft Lewis half the guys were taking classes from Washington state.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#29]
The only one im proud of is my msm,  because i got it for survining 7 years as a unit commander.  Thats a long time to be responsible for everything 100 18yos do.  I still wouldn't get a jacket with it on it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I should see how much it costs to build a new ribbon rack...

I want my fucking discount at Denny's.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe they hang out with this moron?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For all of you GD war heroes, what WOULD be an appropriate award to adorn across your motorcycle jacket?

Good Conduct would be hilarious.
View Quote

The correct name is "didn't Get Caught" medal.....

I'd never thought about the plates being cheaper.  I don't have any USMC stuff on either vehicle but would do a gulf war or CAR plate if it was cheaper.  

No way I'm putting my NDSM on a license plate though.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't steal my valor!  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t quote me but I think those thin or ultra thin rack prices like everything else have gone up pretty high, I could be wrong but I wanna say a year or two ago I saw some prices that were surprising.

Back when dress blues were authorized for wear was the only time I put big bucks $$$ into ribbons and I think I only wore them a dozen times over a dozen years.

The only time I recall seeing anyone wear U.S. ribbon racks with civilian attire at non .mil functions was at a few Highland Games in the USA. Do people wear them elsewhere?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Youngest guy on the list at Ft Benning!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Don’t quote me but I think those thin or ultra thin rack prices like everything else have gone up pretty high, I could be wrong but I wanna say a year or two ago I saw some prices that were surprising.

Back when dress blues were authorized for wear was the only time I put big bucks $$$ into ribbons and I think I only wore them a dozen times over a dozen years.

The only time I recall seeing anyone wear U.S. ribbon racks with civilian attire at non .mil functions was at a few Highland Games in the USA. Do people wear them elsewhere?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the VFW guys can wear them for ceremonial affairs? Maybe I'm wrong.

I wonder how many rows I was missing by the end? I quit caring somewhere along the way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think the VFW guys can wear them for ceremonial affairs? Maybe I'm wrong.

I wonder how many rows I was missing by the end? I quit caring somewhere along the way.
View Quote

Right, I forgot about flag day

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Youngest guy on the list at Ft Benning!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1033_jpeg-3161335.JPG
View Quote

I always thought it was horseshit we didn’t get a star above the CIB if you went to Iraq and Afghanistan and fucked shit up in both places…two vastly different theaters of operation….no, the umbrella of the GWOT covers it.

Gay.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ones with V devices maybe. Officers give each other awards to each other cuz they love to jerk each other off. I’ve seen plenty of officers with a whole lotta fruit salad, bronze and silver stars included, but not one V device.
View Quote

I’m not sure you’re qualified to discuss this one if you are looking for Valor devices on Silver Stars.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#43]
lol wow
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I always thought it was horseshit we didn’t get a star above the CIB if you went to Iraq and Afghanistan and fucked shit up in both places…two vastly different theaters of operation….no, the umbrella of the GWOT covers it.

Gay.
View Quote

20 years in from AFRICOM to CENTCIM to PACOM {I hate the new IndoPac acronym} about the same time frame of WW2 to Vietnam  
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2024/03/01/the-national-guards-quiet-role-in-iraq-syria-and-jordan/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This posted this once before but I overheard a black lady in Sacramento talking on her cell trying to get her friends to join her for the upcoming Veterans Day food feast because “they don’t ask for proof” she wasn’t even a veteran but has a plan with a schedule and times and locations she was planning to go on vets day
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fuck yeah….Docs are awesome. Honorary grunts…always.
View Quote

I probably spent more time as an infantryman then I did doing actually medical stuff...nothing like on the job training.

My favorite line was "When the grunts get down the medic (corpsman) gets up."

I did try to learn every job in the platoon that I could...calling in medevacs easily morphs into calling in arty...and tac air.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#47]
One of the patches our medics had on their bags

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#48]
I missed out on the ND medal/ribbon.

I had to go look up some of my stuff. I got me a good cookie! A NAM, and some sort of Humanitarian aid medal.

Oddly enough the NAM isn't listed on my DD214 I got the medal and the certificate.

Woohoo!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I had to go look up some of my stuff. I got me a good cookie! A NAM, and some sort of Humanitarian aid medal.

Oddly enough the NAM isn't listed on my DD214 I got the medal and the certificate.

Woohoo!
View Quote

I’m not an admin guy but I think you can request a DD215 to reflect it, if I recall DD214s are never “updated” but again I’m no admin guy so maybe DAV or some org would be able to assist
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Woohoo!
View Quote

My GCM wasn’t on my first DD214 so I bitched to ARPERCEN eventually I got papers - I’d have to look but I believe it’s a DD215
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top