Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/27/2016 9:52:32 AM EDT
I had heard good things about Milwaukee Tools and wanted to slowly start trying them out so I bought a M12 fuel impact and drill set to use for little interior projects around my house.  I was putting up some storage shelves in my mudroom and the impact driver fell about 2.5 feet onto the linoleum floor and cracked open the battery, making it useless.  I've had my DeWalt tools fall from my rafters in my shop (when I was installing air lines) to concrete floor and be fine.  Very disappointed in Milwaukee, I don't think they're all they are cracked up to be.  They were nice tools while they worked but they have a serious durability issue, at least in the M12 line.  I contacted them but they never responded.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You should know better than to abandon Harbor Freight tools for that cheap shit.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Techtronic Industries Company Limited, Techtronic or TTI, is an investment holding company based in Hong Kong. Its products include Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, Homelite, Hoover US, Dirt Devil, and Vax.
DeWalt is still Stanley Black and Decker.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should know better than to abandon Harbor Freight tools for that cheap shit.....
View Quote

I LOVE Harbor Freight, but one thing I have never bought there are cordless tools.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I dunno i have had good luck with my driver.  Even left it out for a few days
In the rain sitting on a fence post.  Runs fine.  Dropped it lots of times.  Really impressed by it
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a U.S. made Milwakee electric impact gun I use in my garage. Works well. Guess the newer stuff is crap.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My M18 fuel driver has been incredible for the last 4 years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The tools themselves were good, I am just upset with their durability
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had heard good things about Milwaukee Tools and wanted to slowly start trying them out so I bought a M12 fuel impact and drill set to use for little interior projects around my house.  I was putting up some storage shelves in my mudroom and the impact driver fell about 2.5 feet onto the linoleum floor and cracked open the battery, making it useless.  I've had my DeWalt tools fall from my rafters in my shop (when I was installing air lines) to concrete floor and be fine.  Very disappointed in Milwaukee, I don't think they're all they are cracked up to be.  They were nice tools while they worked but they have a serious durability issue, at least in the M12 line.  I contacted them but they never responded.
View Quote

I think I may have located your problem.

Best of luck with the Parkinsons!

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the confusion?

My DeWalt tools have been through similar and much worse falls and been fine
Milwauee has a small fall and breaks all to shit

what's hard to understand?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#10]
When I needed a drill/impact I asked here. Bought M18 Fuel as they were HIGHLY recommended, glad I listened...
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't used Milwaukee tools, but I will say it is not just the height of the fall, BUT WHERE in hits the ground on tool.

What you saw might have been just a case of it hitting just right (or wrong) to split the case.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Techtronic Industries Company Limited, Techtronic or TTI, is an investment holding company based in Hong Kong. Its products include Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, Homelite, Hoover US, Dirt Devil, and Vax.

DeWalt is still Stanley Black and Decker.
View Quote

TTI also makes the power tools for Rigid. You will see many similarities between products from Rigid, Milwaukie, and Ryobi - some of them nearly identical aside from color and battery connection.

Then again, there are times where you will see three identical items each marked Dewalt, B&D, and Stanley. That will mess with your head
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Have M12 impact, drill and mini sawzall,  and an M18 3/4 drive impact.        They all have been great.  

Also have some Dewalt tools.  Heck my 18v XRP runs my 1" auger bit like a champ through old joists.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't drop your tools?

I have tons of Milwaukee shit and it's all top of the line shit and built like a tank.  My M18 Fuel Impact Driver is the best fucking tool I have ever owned and an absolute beast.  It's literally a night and day difference the few times I have used a buddy's Dewalt impact.  

It seems like you are jumping to conclusions pretty quickly over one dropped tool.  Although, I will say I am surprised it broke if indeed the story is as you say it is.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
They all suck. Milwaukee sucks least.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#16]
M18 Fuel series are great tools.

And it's hard to beat Milwaukee's corded line of tools.

For those that work outside in the winter, Milwaukee makes a heated vest and jacket that use the M18 Fuel batteries.  The guys here that use them love them.  Keeps them nice and warm.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Still love my old Port-A-Band...
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#18]
If you were as handy as you claim to be, you could fix that battery pack.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quit dropping your tools. Geez.

You can have my Sawzall if you can pry it out of my hands. But it's old, corded, and made in USA.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Check with Milwaukee and see if they can help you
with that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I've never owned any of their cordless tools but their regular corded tools are superb.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Millfucky

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're sample size (one) is too low. I've owned at least 10 milwaukee tools over the last 20 years and never had a physical problem with anything but nicads going bad after years. I still own most all of them.

I'm more interested in your customer support experience. You said they haven't responded. Have you called them or just emails? Are you patient with minimum wage support people or do you immediately start telling them their stuff is shit and dewalt has lasted better?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I have full sets of M12 and M18 stuff that get used/abused on construction sites on an almost daily basis.
They get dropped, stepped on, used beyond what they really should be.

In 5 years I have had two M12 batteries stop charging. IMO, they just aged out. Have never cracked or broken one.
Only one tool failure in all that time as well. I killed an M12 Hackzall, it got totally plugged up with drywall dust (I use it to cut in speakers) and nuked itself.

Sounds like yours just took a lucky (or unlucky) shot.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#25]
What's a new battery pack cost?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I haven't used Milwaukee tools, but I will say it is not just the height of the fall, BUT WHERE in hits the ground on tool.
What you saw might have been just a case of it hitting just right (or wrong) to split the case.
View Quote

This....

And be more careful with your tools!!  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
$40 each or so.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Just bad luck.  You could probably drop it 100 times with no problems.  But, drop it just right, one time and it breaks.  Sort of like dropping a tool box into the bed of an F150.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#29]
This just in....dropping power tools sometimes breaks them. I've broken many tools over the years, some from 2' falls others much higher. Seems like it's all in how it lands and what it lands on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hehe.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was the extended capacity battery that broke, they're about $50 on Amazon right now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hehe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hehe.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

For those that work outside in the winter, Milwaukee makes a heated vest and jacket that use the M18 Fuel batteries.  The guys here that use them love them.  Keeps them nice and warm.

View Quote

All the heated stuff I've seen uses the M12 batteries. I imagine an M18 powered model would have quite a heavy battery pocket... Especially if you used one of the new 9.0 battery packs
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You're sample size (one) is too low. I've owned at least 10 milwaukee tools over the last 20 years and never had a physical problem with anything but nicads going bad after years. I still own most all of them.

I'm more interested in your customer support experience. You said they haven't responded. Have you called them or just emails? Are you patient with minimum wage support people or do you immediately start telling them their stuff is shit and dewalt has lasted better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing I learned after my house fire is to keep a log of every contact you make.  I first started with email and when that went days unanswered I began to call.  Every time I call I get the "we are experiencing higher than normal call volume" and am kept on hold forever.  I have still yet to talk to a real human on the other end of the phone.  I am currently on hold with them right now, have been on hold for 9 minutes so far.  Will let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have been curious about those..   Thumbsup ?    I've seen a jacket and a hoodie.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#36]
We've been running their M18 stuff here in the shop for the last few years and it's been great.  Batteries have been holding up well, and they don't take long to recharge. I've had DeWalt tools in the past and can't really complain other than their nicad batteries usually take a shit every couple of years.

Maybe stop dropping your tools so often would help?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
All the heated stuff I've seen uses the M12 batteries. I imagine an M18 powered model would have quite a heavy battery pocket... Especially if you used one of the new 9.0 battery packs
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I just double checked.  M12 is right.  I don't know why I thought it was the M18 batteries.

Eh, it's still early.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#38]
why don't you send it in for warranty instead of crying on the internet about how you was careless and dropped it and it broke.

nevertheless, they will cover it under warranty AND pay shipping both ways! Yes you do have to take time and enter some info on their website and print off some stuff but you can do it, I have faith in you
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I have been curious about those..   Thumbsup ?    I've seen a jacket and a hoodie.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The field guys that have bought them sure do like them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine have lasted just fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#41]
My m12 fuel impact fell from the top of a 6' ladder to the concrete below and still works just fine.

Shit happens, any tool landing on the battery will most likely destroy the battery.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Snap on or craftsman.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#43]
We used to use Makita back in the day but they rapidly fell behind, Short run with bosh but they didn't hold up. For the last 10 years I've only bought Dewalt. Although they are aging and I'm probably going to go with Ryobi. A friend I work with and my helper both have been using them for a few years and they seem to be on par with my Dewalt stuff at a fraction of the price. Especially if you get them on black Friday or Christmas sales
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
why don't you send it in for warranty instead of crying on the internet about how you was careless and dropped it and it broke.

nevertheless, they will cover it under warranty AND pay shipping both ways! Yes you do have to take time and enter some info on their website and print off some stuff but you can do it, I have faith in you
View Quote

thanks, I was thinking I needed some pre-approval or something to send it back and get shipping covered.  Doing this now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

My sons are installers for Solar City.  They love the Milwaukee tools, and put them through hell.  They gave me a heated vest a few weeks ago for my birthday.  I was amazed at how quickly the battery charged (although I don't know the state of charge when received).  It hasn't been cold enough to test it out, but I'll give a range report in a month or two.  Since the vest came with a battery and charger, when it comes time to replace my HF cordless driver, it will probably be a Milwaukee.

BTW, I have a HF drill and driver.  Both worked pretty well.  They batteries took 4 hours to charge, and would be ruined if you charged beyond that time because they would overheat.  I have to replace the tools because replacement batteries are not available any more.  Otherwise, I would just get new batteries.  They were okay for my needs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Their batteries are utter dogshit.

A former employer had racks of them on chargers when I did fabrication for them.  Put a battery on the charger at 2PM, let it charge overnight, pick it up at 8AM and start using it in a drill and that sucker would be dead 20 minutes later.

Then I'd dig my half-discharged DeWalt out of my truck where it had been sitting for a week and go to town.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#49]
My Dad uses the hell out of his Milwaukee tools and has no issues. He uses his 18V drill all the time. I bought a corded circ saw like his but the newer ones are made in China and have aluminum castings. His old one is much heavier and still going strong after 25 years if not more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Maybe you can ask your husband to fix it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top