Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Or maybe your clumsiness is the problem.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Dunno, my Milwaukee swz all is a beast. I don't expect much from most cordless tools. My porter cable 18v lithium has already shit itself.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their batteries are utter dogshit.

A former employer had racks of them on chargers when I did fabrication for them.  Put a battery on the charger at 2PM, let it charge overnight, pick it up at 8AM and start using it in a drill and that sucker would be dead 20 minutes later.

Then I'd dig my half-discharged DeWalt out of my truck where it had been sitting for a week and go to town.
View Quote

Great.  I am not happy to hear this. I just bought into the Milwaukee M12 system for a lighter, handier alternative to all of our heavier tools.

We do like the M12 form factor a lot for lighter work, though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#4]
My m12 fuel impact has fallen 25' off a roof and hit asphalt and fell into 3' of water and was submerged for. 20 minutes before i could get to it. Still works great. It gets dropped onto concrete all the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
the m18 drill and driver set I bought has been the best drill and driver I've ever used.

If they went bad tomorrow, I would immediately replace them with the same stuff without hesitation.

I might not abuse them like some do, but they have been pushed (and just keep asking for more) farther than any other cordless set I've had before could even deal with.

The TQ on the drill is something to behold, especially in low.  To say I am happy with them is an understatement.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe you can ask your husband to fix it.
View Quote

OMG SO EDGY

If you have instructions on how to fix a broken lithium battery without blowing myself up I'll listen. I could probably fix the crack, but then I would have an uncracked, nonworking battery
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I was under the impression the M12 stuff was more homeownerish.

My M18 stuff as been through hell, and they have fixed everything I've managed to break without a problem.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you take it back to your supplier yet?

I would bet they will fix it or replace it for you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Like most things today they aren't built to last just to last long enough.
Why make something that lasts 10, 20 years when you need to sell the new models coming out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had great luck with my M18 stuff and dropped them a few times to boot. Most of the electrical contractors I've seen all use the M18 stuff as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Like most things today they aren't built to last just to last long enough.
Why make something that lasts 10, 20 years when you need to sell the new models coming out.
View Quote

Not viable anyway with how fast tech is now advancing.

I had a bunch of Dewalt 18v stuff I bought when I first started out, it held up just fine, but I didn't realize how outdated it all was until I got on a jobsite with another guy and his M18 stuff was just crushing me. We were tearing apart old steel tube stalls and he was getting nuts off twice as fast as I was with my impact.

After I got paid for that job I upgraded everything to M18 with the new batteries.

I anticipate something similar will happen in another 5-8 years, and I will once again have to liquidate and upgrade to maximize efficiency.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The garbage man is going to hate me, as I just threw my M18 drill and driver into the trash, along with my two Sawzalls, Thunderbolt rotary hammer, and two 1/2" Hole Hawgs.  Oh, and my Hole Hawg mixing drill, and my 60* angle drill.  Quite a load, but they are junk, so now I will use my pocket knife to cut stuff and make holes.  Can't go wrong by keeping it simple!  Thanks, OP!  
View Quote

Pawn those and buy DeWalt, at least they pick up the damn phone when you need them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a homeowner/hobby farmer.  I don't really have a supplier

I did print the return label though and am just going to mail it in since they won't pick up the phone.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pawn those and buy DeWalt, at least they pick up the damn phone when you need them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The garbage man is going to hate me, as I just threw my M18 drill and driver into the trash, along with my two Sawzalls, Thunderbolt rotary hammer, and two 1/2" Hole Hawgs.  Oh, and my Hole Hawg mixing drill, and my 60* angle drill.  Quite a load, but they are junk, so now I will use my pocket knife to cut stuff and make holes.  Can't go wrong by keeping it simple!  Thanks, OP!  

You need a better supplier then.

I have the cell number of the guy I buy my stuff from. I sent him a message while he was off at a conference and asked him to to try out their cordless SDS Max drills for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I did print the return label though and am just going to mail it in since they won't pick up the phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is an advantage to buying local sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a U.S. made Milwakee electric impact gun I use in my garage. Works well. Guess the newer stuff is crap.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have a friend who has been brand-loyal to Dewalt for many years.  He came to help me hang some top cabinets in our kitchen and he used my Milwaukee M18 (not FUEL) drill and driver.  It was his first time handling a Milwaukee product.  

Afterward he asked why I had never told him Milwaukee stuff is so much better than Dewalt.  I smiled and said, "Everyone knows that!"  Now I know of two that didn't know it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a friend who has been brand-loyal to Dewalt for many years.  He came to help me hang some top cabinets in our kitchen and he used my Milwaukee M18 (not FUEL) drill and driver.  It was his first time handling a Milwaukee product.  

Afterward he asked why I had never told him Milwaukee stuff is so much better than Dewalt.  I smiled and said, "Everyone knows that!"  Now I know of two that didn't know it.  

The bad thing is I really liked this set and was planning on buying some M18 tools soon.  I realize shit happens to all tool brands but their customer service so far has been less than exciting, and that says alot too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The bad thing is I really liked this set and was planning on buying some M18 tools soon.  I realize shit happens to all tool brands but their customer service so far has been less than exciting, and that says alot too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start here.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/buy-now

Once you find someone local that sells them you will have a direct line to a service center.

My guy sends a shipment of stuff that needs repair in every Tuesday, last thing I had fixed was back in my hands the following Monday.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both, M18 batteries have rubber bumpers to protect from falls. Ive dropped my M12 stuff a bit, never have broken it. May have just hit it at the right angle, shit happens sometimes.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Huh.  I have a milwaukee cordless drill that I beat the shit out of and can't kill.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have both, M18 batteries have rubber bumpers to protect from falls. Ive dropped my M12 stuff a bit, never have broken it. May have just hit it at the right angle, shit happens sometimes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was the m12 extended capacity battery, and it also had rubber all around it
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#25]
On a related topic, did you guys see they finally released the 9.0 high demand battery.

One of those could run my radio for a week.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn OP, you abused the fuck out of a fine tool and you blame the manufacturer?  OK, here's a bet for you.  Contact Milwaukee on line customer service and tell them the honest truth.  they might replace it under warranty.  Its worth a shot.

I was using my M12 Hackzall with a 4.0 battery out in the heat on a 100 degree day.  It shut down on me.  After 3 or 4 minutes it worked again.  So I proceeded to bear down on the car I was cutting in half to get hauled off.  Scrap guy was using my corded Milwaukee on the other side of the car.  Battery started smoking and melting.  I popped it out and tossed it about 10 yards away.  
It was replaced under warranty.
I'll admit, I'm a Milwaukee M12 fanboy.
The collection:
Hackzall
right angle drill
3/8 impact
3/8 ratchet
2 LED stick lights
1/4 impact
1/2 hammer drill
Oscillating Multi tool
Blutooth speaker
USB charge port adapter
circular saw
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snap on or craftsman.  Thank you.

Craftsman sucks a fat smelly choad
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#28]
My M18 Fuel stuff works well.  The Sawzall will eat up a battery but it usually takes something like limbing a tree to do it.  That thing is a beast.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Never owned a cordless milwauke, but the corded ones aren't too shabby.

Now dewalt cordless, I have had hammer drills ran over and then reassembled them with duct tape and wire and they just kept screwing
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will say that the M18 series of tools are much more robust, and the batteries are better suited for drops. It's really unfortunate that customer service isn't really helping out at all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

thanks, I was thinking I needed some pre-approval or something to send it back and get shipping covered.  Doing this now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why don't you send it in for warranty instead of crying on the internet about how you was careless and dropped it and it broke.

nevertheless, they will cover it under warranty AND pay shipping both ways! Yes you do have to take time and enter some info on their website and print off some stuff but you can do it, I have faith in you

thanks, I was thinking I needed some pre-approval or something to send it back and get shipping covered.  Doing this now.

They used to have Milwaukee tool centers where you could just drop off your warrantied tools and pick them up a couple days later
fixed or replaced...had a Sawzall replaced a few years back that way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#32]
try this next time zippydroppy...

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I tossed one out the door 6 feet or so and it didn't break. Just a few scrapes. If you drop it off today you will have it back next Wednesday.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Got a flashlight and cordless impact thats going on 21 years old and both function perfectly with original battery's to boot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm switching out all of my DeWalts to Milwaukee as needed.  The batteries on my Dewalt 18V are horrendous.  I get more life out of my 12v Milwaukee impact than I do out of my 18v Dewalt impact and the battery is over 2X as big.  

I worked at a mine where guys were given tool allowances every year.  

The break down on power/air tools was roughly:

75% Snap on
20% Milwaukee
3% Makita
2% Dewalt/Ryobi/Ridid/etc
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Does the M18 have a good variable speed (read that: fairly linear) mechanism. or does it go immediately from 0-300RPM and then up? The POS DCD940 DeWalt 18v I bought a few years ago to replace my old DW998 18v is supposed to be variable speed, but there's no range in the low end, and it has the crappiest chuck I've ever used.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got a mess of Milwaukee corded tools and I love every one of them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've got to be kidding me.

I've got well over 20k worth of Snap-On tools, but he's talking about cordless. Snap-On doesn't make their own impact or cordless anything, so buying from them is just buying from someone else with a premium for having the name attached.

Now Craftsman on the other hand, Craftsman? Are you kidding me? No, just no.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I think the m18 stuff is built and designed more for professionals.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The tools themselves were good, I am just upset with their durability
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My M18 fuel driver has been incredible for the last 4 years.

All tools like that have a hole for a lanyard and I run a little 550 thru all my tools just to cover my bases when working.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a Milwaukee pistol drill I ABUSED for years. Finally shit the bed
After using it to mix 18 bags of mortar . I got my money's worth
Out of it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My M18 fuel driver has been incredible for the last 4 years.

You are being a little too quick to piss on them.  Hit any plastic casing in the right way and it will fall apart.  Take it back and ask HD or Lowes to replace the battery for you and drive on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#43]
My last NiCad Milwaukee battery died a year ago, 12 years of service life was fine for me, now I am into Makita drill driver and grinder and a large kit of 20v DeWalts. Love all of them
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spoken like someone who's never bought power tools from either of them. *

*Snap-On power tools are ok, for Chinese made power tools. Bosch, Milwaukee and Dewalt are better, for less money most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I LOVE Harbor Freight, but one thing I have never bought there are cordless tools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should know better than to abandon Harbor Freight tools for that cheap shit.....

I LOVE Harbor Freight, but one thing I have never bought there are cordless tools.

+1000 to that
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The garbage man is going to hate me send me a Christmas card, as I just threw my M18 drill and driver into the trash, along with my two Sawzalls, Thunderbolt rotary hammer, and two 1/2" Hole Hawgs.  Oh, and my Hole Hawg mixing drill, and my 60* angle drill.  Quite a load, but they are junk, so now I will use my pocket knife to cut stuff and make holes.  Can't go wrong by keeping it simple!  Thanks, OP!  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've got well over 20k worth of Snap-On tools, but he's talking about cordless. Snap-On doesn't make their own impact or cordless anything, so buying from them is just buying from someone else with a premium for having the name attached.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the tools in general not the cordless drill/saw stuff I didn't realize that was what he was talking about when I posted it. That's what I get for replying to the thread title only without reading the rest .
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Dropped my m18 fuel from ten feet onto concrete when building shelves, and it survived two or three falls
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They all suck. Milwaukee sucks least.
View Quote

Sometimes the Operator Sucks the Most

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm switching out all of my DeWalts to Milwaukee as needed.  The batteries on my Dewalt 18V are horrendous.  I get more life out of my 12v Milwaukee impact than I do out of my 18v Dewalt impact and the battery is over 2X as big.  

I worked at a mine where guys were given tool allowances every year.  

The break down on power/air tools was roughly:

75% Snap on
20% Milwaukee
3% Makita
2% Dewalt/Ryobi/Ridid/etc
View Quote

Depends on the area and what distributors there are usually.

In texas it was 80% milwaukee and 20% dewalt. Here its the opposite. I'm a milwaukee man but most of it's about the same new. I bought nearly every tool dewalt makes when I stocked up last time because all of my guys use dewalt so we have a boneyard i can rob parts from. The 18v dewalt is pretty bad, some of my guys have them. I've got all 20v and the new flexvolt tools that are 120/60/20v and i've been very happy with them.

EDIT - Are you comparing 12 volt lithium ion to 18v nicad? If so that's ridiculous. That's like comparing a carb to fuel injection. It's not even the same thing.

Dewalt only made a nicad 18v as far as i know. The newer milwaukee 12 is all lithium ion.

For reference, back when everything was nicad, we used to leave a pickup idling with the a/c on high all day so we could charge drill batteries for the jobsite. We have a 20 charger bank made out of plywood that sat in the back seat. Now with lithium ion, 5 chargers will do it, no a/c.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top