Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Milwaukee fuel are the best 12v tools available. I love their fuel hammer drill and two speed impact driver. Ended up selling my DeWalt 20v XR (DCD790) because I liked the Milwaukee so much. Still use DeWalt 20v for my other cordless tools though.

Sorry you smashed yours.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Troll thread.

Who the fuck rates a tool based on how long the company puts you on hold after you go full Michael J Fox.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Troll thread.

Who the fuck rates a tool based on how long the company puts you on hold after you go full Michael J Fox.
View Quote

Is this the same site where a guy cut a gun in half and threw it down his driveway?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

OMG SO EDGY

If you have instructions on how to fix a broken lithium battery without blowing myself up I'll listen. I could probably fix the crack, but then I would have an uncracked, nonworking battery
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you can ask your husband to fix it.

OMG SO EDGY

If you have instructions on how to fix a broken lithium battery without blowing myself up I'll listen. I could probably fix the crack, but then I would have an uncracked, nonworking battery

If a cell is broken, you can probably buy a replacement. If some cells are loose, they can be resoldered in. These batteries are usually groups of unprotected cells hooked up to some circuitry. Unless the fall broke something in the board itself, it's repairable.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I own most tools in the M12 line. They have served me well for years. I abuse my tools and have burned up one Hackzaw and one drill. They get used daily for work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does the M18 have a good variable speed (read that: fairly linear) mechanism. or does it go immediately from 0-300RPM and then up? The POS DCD940 DeWalt 18v I bought a few years ago to replace my old DW998 18v is supposed to be variable speed, but there's no range in the low end, and it has the crappiest chuck I've ever used.
View Quote

My 18v fuel hammer drill is very controllable in that regard.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you were as handy as you claim to be, you could fix that battery pack.
View Quote

Srs, they're closed cells. Fucking tack em back into place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Their batteries are utter dogshit.

A former employer had racks of them on chargers when I did fabrication for them.  Put a battery on the charger at 2PM, let it charge overnight, pick it up at 8AM and start using it in a drill and that sucker would be dead 20 minutes later.

Then I'd dig my half-discharged DeWalt out of my truck where it had been sitting for a week and go to town.
View Quote

Idk what tools you were using, but my experience has been the exact opposite for about the last 16 years.  I switched from deWalt to Milwaukee because the yellow tools were not durable and the batteries were shit.  The new m18 and m12 stuff has been awesome, and the fuel stuff raised the bar yet again.  I have m18 batteries that are 7 years old and work like new, and the m12 batteries have been great as well.  I swap the battery in my m12 screwdriver out of habit, but I have yet to have it go dead in a single shift of use.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had heard good things about Milwaukee Tools and wanted to slowly start trying them out so I bought a M12 fuel impact and drill set to use for little interior projects around my house.  I was putting up some storage shelves in my mudroom and the impact driver fell about 2.5 feet onto the linoleum floor and cracked open the battery, making it useless.  I've had my DeWalt tools fall from my rafters in my shop (when I was installing air lines) to concrete floor and be fine.  Very disappointed in Milwaukee, I don't think they're all they are cracked up to be.  They were nice tools while they worked but they have a serious durability issue, at least in the M12 line.  I contacted them but they never responded.
View Quote

Lol

You bought a M12 line product..... it's for DYI home improvements like your project. If you want profesional grade tools go to M18 line and pay the price hope you have the skill set to use them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a few Milwaukee tools, all are corded and at least 20 years old, they are pretty good I think.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My M18 fuel driver has been incredible for the last 4 years.
View Quote

My father in law has owned his own construction company and has been a general contractor for over 30 years.

He uses the M18 impact driver and loves it. We just hung all of my interior doors this past weekend and it ran flawlessly
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe they have a no questions asked warranty within the first year at least. Have you called their customer service yet?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a shit ton of makita stuff. Love it. The 5.0 battery's are unbeatable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#14]
love my M12 tools, but I don't drop my shit and I don't have linoleum floors
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the M18 have a good variable speed (read that: fairly linear) mechanism. or does it go immediately from 0-300RPM and then up? The POS DCD940 DeWalt 18v I bought a few years ago to replace my old DW998 18v is supposed to be variable speed, but there's no range in the low end, and it has the crappiest chuck I've ever used.

Okay, thanks. I think I'll go give one a serious look.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Some of the newer ones may be junk, but I have a Milwaukee sabre saw that I've used since 1967 and it is still being used today. I had to replace the power cord a few years ago. It is not a cheap plastic housed tool though, it has a cast aluminum housing. Would not trade it for a new one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Milwaukee 12 volt Cordless Drill that I purchased in December, 1998 and it is still going strong.  I had to purchased new batteries about 8 years ago. That's pretty damn good in my book.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Sent the battery back to Milwaukee on Monday, will see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Small update

Still have not received a return email or phone call from their customer service. Sent the battery back awhile ago and it's been crickets.

Their customer service sucks as wel
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I never heard back anything either.  It just showed up in the mail a couple weeks later.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
My Milwaukee metal-cutting chop saw is da Bomb.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#23]
My car sucks....I hit a wall and the bumper caved in....Toyotas suck.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
You had one unsatisfactory exerience, and now all their tools are junk?  That's quite the leap of logic.

I've owned many Dewalt and Milwaukee, and have been far more satisfied with Milwaukee.  I doubt that I will ever own another Dewalt product.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If his "note enclosed" is anything like this thread I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to chat with him.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never heard back anything either.  It just showed up in the mail a couple weeks later.

If his "note enclosed" is anything like this thread I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to chat with him.  

Because they don't want to honor their warranty on their junk?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#27]
OP. I'm quite happy with my 20V Porter Cable tools. They were cheap. I beat them like a rented mule. They keep going.

Milwaukee has become a big box tool with trade-shop pricing to support their advertising budget.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP. I'm quite happy with my 20V Porter Cable tools. They were cheap. I beat them like a rented mule. They keep going.

Milwaukee has become a big box tool with trade-shop pricing to support their advertising budget.
View Quote

You criticize "big box" tools, but are happy with your Porter Cable tools... made by Stanley Black & Decker?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No--because you are so daft you need this explained to you.  You dropped a battery off of a ladder.  That's not a warranty issue.  The fact you don't want to take responsibility for YOUR SCREW-UP, and then want to publicly declare their fine products to be "junk" is silly beyond belief.  The fact you are now whining because they haven't soothed your feelings by calling you is asinine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No--because you are so daft you need this explained to you.  You dropped a battery off of a ladder.  That's not a warranty issue.  The fact you don't want to take responsibility for YOUR SCREW-UP, and then want to publicly declare their fine products to be "junk" is silly beyond belief.  The fact you are now whining because they haven't soothed your feelings by calling you is asinine.  

See that's the thing. If they would just return my calls or emails and say "I'm sorry this is not a warranty issue, you're out of luck" I would be satisfied. Some people say they will cover it and some don't, but no word from them.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

See that's the thing. If they would just return my calls or emails and say "I'm sorry this is not a warranty issue, you're out of luck" I would be satisfied. Some people say they will cover it and some don't, but no word from them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure its been said already in this, but 13'ers gonna 13.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#31]
rougeboss, maybe you should inquire about an impact resistant model?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Finally was able to communicate with a real person at Milwaukee. After several back and forths we discovered they had lost my battery I sent back. I provided them the tracking number used to send it back and it confirms it was delivered to them but it's gone.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like you're getting a replacement by default.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I haven't used Milwaukee tools, but I will say it is not just the height of the fall, BUT WHERE in hits the ground on tool.
What you saw might have been just a case of it hitting just right (or wrong) to split the case.
View Quote

This. How many times have you dropped your phone vs how many times has the screen broken on landing?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a Milwaukee Fuel 18V 1/2 impact a few months ago. After a few uses, i sold all my dewalt tools except for a vacuum, and replaced with M18 tools. I really like the variety of m18 LED lanterns that Milwaukee has.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it took a couple of days to get there - then you think that they recognize just how important you are that they pushed the equipment that you broke past the entire line of equipment in for warranty work?  

It must be hard to live in a world where you are surrounded by imperfection.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So it took a couple of days to get there - then you think that they recognize just how important you are that they pushed the equipment that you broke past the entire line of equipment in for warranty work?  

It must be hard to live in a world where you are surrounded by imperfection.

View Quote

You see, smartass, when you submit the info online to Milwaukee to generate the shipping label, they send you an email that says it will be inspected/returned in 5 working days or less.

Try not being a smartass, you just make yourself look dumb.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Finally was able to communicate with a real person at Milwaukee. After several back and forths we discovered they had lost my battery I sent back. I provided them the tracking number used to send it back and it confirms it was delivered to them but it's gone.

Sigh.
View Quote

Are they sending you a new one since they list yours?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm switching out all of my DeWalts to Milwaukee as needed.  The batteries on my Dewalt 18V are horrendous.  I get more life out of my 12v Milwaukee impact than I do out of my 18v Dewalt impact and the battery is over 2X as big.  

I worked at a mine where guys were given tool allowances every year.  

The break down on power/air tools was roughly:

75% Snap on

20% Milwaukee

3% Makita

2% Dewalt/Ryobi/Ridid/etc
View Quote
The Dewalt 18volt system is ooooooollllllld.  The new battery system much better, has longer runtimes, and can be used on older tools with an adapter.  I can use my 20v drill for half a day or better before the battery needs swapped.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Funny story for you, last winter I was working on the roof of a school gymnasium, the chuck on my Dewalt drill started auto opening any time I ran the drill in reverse.

I have accasionally anger issues and it was 15 degrees out and I was cold, so I threw the drill as far as I could battery popped out when it hit the ground. Later picked it up and put the battery back in and it worked fine again.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Funny story for you, last winter I was working on the roof of a school gymnasium, the chuck on my Dewalt drill started auto opening any time I ran the drill in reverse.

I have accasionally anger issues and it was 15 degrees out and I was cold, so I threw the drill as far as I could battery popped out when it hit the ground. Later picked it up and put the battery back in and it worked fine again.

View Quote

Don't doubt it. All my new tools will be yellow, I'll tell you that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There is an advantage to buying local sometimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you take it back to your supplier yet?

I would bet they will fix it or replace it for you.

I'm a homeowner/hobby farmer.  I don't really have a supplier

I did print the return label though and am just going to mail it in since they won't pick up the phone.

There is an advantage to buying local sometimes.

My experience with this:

Buddy bought a Milwaukee sawsall so we could tag team chopping up Ford Rangers.  He bought it from Home Depot.  It grenaded in no time.  Milwaukee essentially told him to get fucked and they won't touch the Home Depot stuff.  

That was 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I recently rebuilt a M12 battery pack someone was throwing out.  I used some tabbed 2600 mAh 18650s.  Works great and better capacity that it originally had.  Things get sparky if you start shorting things though.  So cover the bits you aren't working on with electrical tape.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

I would sure hope so. I'll update if they do.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#45]
So to add to the list of AR vs AK, beans vs no beans, 9mm vs .45, etc....

It's DeWalt vs Milwaukee!
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Just buy a damn Hilti already.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#47]
After working through Black and Decker, then DeWalt, the real problem is battery longevity when they don't break throwing them off the ladder. NiCads usually lasted about 30 months in DIY work. Since two new ones cost as much as a new drill, charger, and two batteries when on sale and even less on Black Friday I just upgrade every three years or so and avoid all the high end drama.

Last time I bought Ryobi and it's good enough. What some aren't saying is that when you move past 18VDC power packs the overall weight of the total unit goes beyond the average guys tolerance to carry and use. I don't see a lot of drill drivers on belts now. They get put down in the bag. Same kind of problem as LBE or duty belt loadout's, a big honkin drill weighs you down and hurts you over the years.

I also don't need an heirloom commercial grade tool set. If you are working with them hourly, yes, of course you get duty grade. But DIY? it's like telling yourself you can only use a military issue red dot for $800 on a rifle you only use two weeks a year. It's your money, but no, the cheaper stuff will run well enough and you get to put the money NOT spent into the project, leaving you money to go out for dinner with the spouse. Gear whore escalation is pricey (ask me how I know) and you defer too much income to that and not what you might  well have done with it to satisfy some other less realistic dream.

In the end they are tools and a box of broken junk is what is left, did the project get done or not? That was the goal in the first place, not a step tread double decker of tools to show off when you open the garage doors.

Or, is it?

Shades of status, I see Escalades parked in front of trailer houses. Just sayin.

BTW, if you drop your tool off a ladder and break it, it's called Darwinism.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Very disappointed in Milwaukee, I don't think they're all they are cracked up to be.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

After working through Black and Decker, then DeWalt, the real problem is battery longevity when they don't break throwing them off the ladder. NiCads usually lasted about 30 months in DIY work. Since two new ones cost as much as a new drill, charger, and two batteries when on sale and even less on Black Friday I just upgrade every three years or so and avoid all the high end drama.

Last time I bought Ryobi and it's good enough. What some aren't saying is that when you move past 18VDC power packs the overall weight of the total unit goes beyond the average guys tolerance to carry and use. I don't see a lot of drill drivers on belts now. They get put down in the bag. Same kind of problem as LBE or duty belt loadout's, a big honkin drill weighs you down and hurts you over the years.

I also don't need an heirloom commercial grade tool set. If you are working with them hourly, yes, of course you get duty grade. But DIY? it's like telling yourself you can only use a military issue red dot for $800 on a rifle you only use two weeks a year. It's your money, but no, the cheaper stuff will run well enough and you get to put the money NOT spent into the project, leaving you money to go out for dinner with the spouse. Gear whore escalation is pricey (ask me how I know) and you defer too much income to that and not what you might  well have done with it to satisfy some other less realistic dream.

In the end they are tools and a box of broken junk is what is left, did the project get done or not? That was the goal in the first place, not a step tread double decker of tools to show off when you open the garage doors.

Or, is it?

Shades of status, I see Escalades parked in front of trailer houses. Just sayin.

BTW, if you drop your tool off a ladder and break it, it's called Darwinism.
View Quote

Have to agree with this. As much as I like the Milwaukee drill I have I think my next one will by Ryobi. Its half the price, and I dont think the 20 screws I drive a year will give a rip whether they are driven with a Ryobi or Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Almost to page 4 and no one posted an AvE BOLTR video yet?

I am dissappoint.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top