Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Lack of Country music is the best Country "Music".
What used to be Country died with the steel guitar.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Add Treaty Oak Revival, Southall, Josh Meloy, and Shane Smith to your listening list
View Quote
Saw Southall in concert earlier this year.  It was a horrible venue (small college town bar with poor sound) but was still a good show.  If you like sad country breakup songs he's great:

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Rated troll.

Laughs in music that doesn't suck.

You be you, hootie fan.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
With the exception of Cash and Rogers country sucks. Modern or otherwise. Fact.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
modern country music is gay pop music.
View Quote

FPNI

Modern cuntry music is pure unadulterated shit.
Country music used to be decent; all I hear now are angsty metrosexual wine sipping dicksucks who drink soy milk instead of moonshine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With the exception of Cash and Rogers country sucks. Modern or otherwise. Fact.
View Quote
Roy, Jimmie, Kenny,...?
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Modern country music is twangy pop shit for country bros and Stetson hat ho’s. If it were a truck, it would be a lifted crew cab Silverado on 24” rims with low profile tires and neon lighting everywhere, and a “Salt Life” sticker on the window.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SHUT
YOUR
WHORE
MOUTH!

Modern "country music" is just Hick Hop.
View Quote

This is actual hick hop:

The Lacs - "Kickin' Up Mud" - Official Video
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I considered posting a video explaining this, but it seems that many of y'all can't even watch a short video before spewing your ignorant-ass opinions, so I found a graphic which uses words simple enough for those guys to understand (hopefully).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Most, if not all, of those artists are folk, bluegrass, or Americana genre, they wouldn't be classed as country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Most, if not all, of those artists are folk, bluegrass, or Americana genre, they wouldn't be classed as country.

Quoted:
OP. I think you like Americana music. Not country music.

Ok - fair point. Much of the stuff I listen to is categorized as Americana or folk music by many. However, I contend that the Turnpike Troubadours and quite a few others mentioned in this thread is the "real" country music being produced these days. It has the elements and style that old time country artists are lauded for, and I think if people who like that stuff would listen to it, they'd like it.

I'm trying to share it, instead, I get dolts trying to say that a group of guys playing acoustic string instruments sounds like rap.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Good music is easier to find now than it ever has been.

Believe it or not there is music out there that isn't served to you on your nearest FM radio station.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tyler Childers is not country and he is a BLM cock gobbler.
View Quote

Couldn't agree more. The vast majority of this depraved shit is Biden voters and Miss Universe contestants. Interactive sex with Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line in their lifted F-250 fagmobile. Sickening.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
lol, no.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Texas Red dirt is all I listen to anymore.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]

When you put this photo of Porter Wagner up, it proved you have no clue as to what you are posting about.
If you watched Porter Wagner on television, you would think he was just another typical country singer with a flashy suit singing typical country songs from the era but that is far from the truth.
If you saw him live, it was a totally different act from anything else out there.  He was actually a comedian and it was a comedy act.
Porter would be singing some very serious, tear jerker song about his dog getting run over, his wife leaving him, momma dying, etc. on one corner of the stage and people in the opposite side of the audience would be wondering why the audience was laughing hysterically over where Porter was.  When he made his way over to the other side of the stage, that part of the audience would find out.  Porter had many, many panels ( probably as many as seven or eight or more) sewn to both the right and left inside liners
of his coat with large words that could be read from the last row.  The phrases stated all kinds of crazy stuff that went along with the lyrics of his songs.  When they broadcast these performances on television, he played the camera angles so the viewers at home could not see the joke.  To sing seriously, switch the microphone from hand to hand with the coordination of picking out the correct panel plus working the angles of cameras and the venues was sheer genius.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cocaine is a hell of a drug apparently.
View Quote

Paul Cauthen - Cocaine Country Dancing (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This thread isn't for you if you're a boomer who thinks country music peaked when the singers looked like this:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252069/Porter_wagoner_1999_jpg-3029359.JPG

When I say modern, I mean people making music now, touring now, and releasing new music still. I have found modern country that I like better than pretty much anything made in the past. I will post some examples, and welcome others to share some of their favorites.

One of my favorites: Tyler Childers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QzcrflqDCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NM8vKu2wWM

The Turnpike Troubadours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFBDxLYNNVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjvSyfdcjUQ

Trampled by Turtles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGh-EvmZVCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sWIjxvmw68
View Quote

Wrong,  I'm in the middle,  I can go through all generations. There are generations of performers that can span decade's  "The King!" Rings a bell. Then there are other's  that I'll polightly call seasonal and finally call in the one hit wonders.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d agree with the OP, but we’d both be wrong.
George Strait & Alan Jackson ~ "Murder on Music Row"
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a few in this thread I can take, Clint Black, George Strait, Hank……but if you ain’t listening to Creed then your modern is shit.

Creed Fisher - Life Of A Workin' Man (Official Video)

Creed Fisher - This Town (Official Video)
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
There is some good modern country out there, but it doesn’t get played on the radio.  You have to go looking for it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
false

the last real good country was the 90s.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I this country?

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Bro country/hick hop sucks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a lot of chronically overproduced, drum machine and autotune, awfully fake “country” accent, pop country out there.

This is a low low low point for the genre.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I wouldn't call Zach Bryan a country artist, he's really more folk than country. Cody Johnson is pretty good and is a newer artist as is Ian Munsick.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
80s country was best country.
View Quote

As well as the 70s and 60s...............nowadays it's all about sipping beer with your toes in the water and the like............real country is your woman cheating on you, or dying or just running off and leaving........and then getting even with her

Porter Wagoner Cold Hard Facts Of Life
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#33]
A little ETC to bring you guys around.

Earl Thomas Conley - Once In a Blue Moon (Official Video)
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#34]

III
Some of the best live music performances
I've  seen!
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#35]
New stuff grab your truly and rainbow outfit and go to your show lol.

Old stuff is where it’s at for country.  Early 90s is about end of it. There are some newer ones who keep it real but get no play.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#36]
OP is wrong. Most modern country music is horrifically terrible. And I say that as someone that's not a fan of really old country music either... Old country music is actually quite boring. However, I was raised listening to mostly country music in the late 80s throughout the 90s which I believe was country music's best era. Though country music started it's downward spiral in the late 90s and early 2000s to the point where it's at today. And I'm not going to say all modern country sucks... If I can manage to sit through a few hours with a local country station on the radio I might hear a couple modern country songs that don't completely suck, but sadly, most of them do.

And I'm not a metal fan or an 80s rock/hair band fan either, so that's not it... Also not a pop fan, but pop music's best era seemed to be in the very late 90s and early 2000s. Most pop now is just a bad if not worse than modern country. Just my opinion of course.

I just stick to listening to bands I like now and I've mostly given up on finding new music unless it's by chance that I just stumble on to it somehow.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
false

the last real good country was the 90s.
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There is some good modern country out there, but it doesn’t get played on the radio.  You have to go looking for it.
View Quote

This.

OP, I did similar to what you describe with Prime Music - searched Red Dirt and went from there.  

Turnpike Troubadours
Shane Smith and the Saints
Jason Boland & the Stragglers
Zach Bryan
Josh Abbott Band
Wade Bowen

Lots of overlap with old Texas music like Robert Earl Keen and Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Jason Isbell and Tyler Childers are pretty far left, but they still make good music.  Same with Hayes Carll.  I listen to them sing, I don't vote for them.

Chris Knight is pretty good.  I wonder what his username is when I hear this song:

Chris Knight - In The Mean Time

Judging by previous posts, nobody is going to listen to that one either.

Good thread, OP.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#39]
You sound about as dumb as the guy the other day that said modern Rap is better then old school rap .
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wonder how old you are OP?
View Quote

I'm 49
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

FPNI

Country music used to be decent; all I hear now are angsty metrosexual wine sipping dicksucks who drink soy milk instead of moonshine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This.

OP, I did similar to what you describe with Prime Music - searched Red Dirt and went from there.  

Turnpike Troubadours
Shane Smith and the Saints
Jason Boland & the Stragglers
Zach Bryan
Josh Abbott Band
Wade Bowen

Lots of overlap with old Texas music like Robert Earl Keen and Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Jason Isbell and Tyler Childers are pretty far left, but they still make good music.  Same with Hayes Carll.  I listen to them sing, I don't vote for them.

Chris Knight is pretty good.  I wonder what his username is when I hear this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t24TXeFXuU

Judging by previous posts, nobody is going to listen to that one either.

Good thread, OP.
View Quote

I haven't heard the term 'red dirt' music before, but I might check that out. You also mentioned a couple of bands I haven't heard, so I'm gonna check them out. I spend a lot of time in my workshop listening to music, and this thread has given me some new stuff to look for.

I know I could've titled the thread 'New country music I think is good,' but I don't know if even that would've helped. Some of these mouth-breathers obviously just type responses based on the title without even taking a moment to look at the posts.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes!

This is really my point. If you turn on the "country" radio station, you hear crap. If you look in the right places, you can find that there is good, country music being made right now.

While generally true, the small town near me has an independent radio station that plays a lot of stuff I've not heard aired anywhere else. This includes  bands I already mentioned and more of that type as well as some folksy stuff that I enjoy, but wouldn't call country - stuff like Brandy Carlisle, Lake Street Dive, and The Lone Bellow.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Waylon Jennings - This Time
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
All country sounds like shit to me, but I love a good contrarian thread.
View Quote

Agreed.
As much as I want to like country music, because the "idea" is relatable, I find the music itself petty, boring, and a predictable money grab.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This x 10^87
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#49]

We can be friends.    
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That’s mostly Red Dirt, and yes, it’s the best.
View Quote

Came to post this ^^^

But red dirt is a subset of country.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top