Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2018 12:19:49 AM EDT
Okay,

This year has produced a bumper crop of these damn things.  They are all over.   My amateur research indicated they were prairie, but I have been recently told they are Mojave Greens, the deadliest snake in North America, blah, blah, blah.   I've had one strike my boot, and this big bastard put up a fight when first shot.   They do not rattle, even when you are about to step on them, despite have large rattles.    They sit there motionless, like a freakin land mine, but will strike if you get within range.

This one was so stinkin big I spotted it from 6ft away.  It was hiding under a thick bush.   It took a shot to the rear spine and thrashed about for a while.   I foolishly tried for a head shot, but only clipped his left jaw.  Measured just over 50 inches.

I treated them like western diamondbacks, with caution, but Mojave are a much bigger threat.   There is no antivenin in the state, and since I don't have  gold-plated medical insurance, ain't no one gonna fly some in for me.   The doctors would likely just keep me sedated until death or a limb falls off.

Sooooo,

Arf herptologists,    what say you, Mojave or Prairie?

update:

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the education.   The web images of Mohaves are too varied to really draw any meaningful info.

They list this as a Mojave, and it looks identical to the ones I have been shooting...

A few web photos did show the white/black bands forward of the rattle that you guys mentioned.

Wiki had this to say about the Mojave venom...

"Crotalus scutulatus (common names: Mojave rattlesnake,[2][3][4] Mojave green,[3]) is a highly venomous pit viper species found in the deserts of the southwestern United States and central Mexico. It is perhaps best known for its potent neurotoxic-hemotoxic venom, which is considered the world's most potent rattlesnake venom"

which is why I wanted to really understand what snakes I am dealing with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a Prairie, C viridis.
There is no such thing as Mojave "greens", only Mojaves, C scutulatus.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
What part of the state?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
You need a fire mission to find and eradicate their fucking nest. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I was told the markings on the head were the key.   I've seen almost identical markings on Mojaves when goggling images of them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What part of the state?
View Quote
central NM, east of ABQ
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was told the markings on the head were the key.   I've seen almost identical markings on Mojaves when goggling images of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're Prairies, without a doubt.

It's a Prairie. Looks like all three pics are of the same snake?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#7]
That is a good looking snake. Shame you shot it in the body. That skin would have been awesome for a bunch of different uses. Still would be as is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
yep same snake.

I have pics of others but they all look the same.  Most have the heads removed.

The diagonal white stripes on the head are very similar to the googled pics of Mojave.   Are these two species that close, or is there a lot of misidentified pics on the net?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is a good looking snake. Shame you shot it in the body. That skin would have been awesome for a bunch of different uses. Still would be as is.
View Quote
Sorry.   I ain't about to start collecting them.    Coyotes gotta eat too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
yep same snake.

The diagonal white stripes on the head are very similar to the googled pics of Mojave.   Are these two species that close, or is there a lot of misidentified picks on the net?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep same snake.

The diagonal white stripes on the head are very similar to the googled pics of Mojave.   Are these two species that close, or is there a lot of misidentified picks on the net?
Lots of mis-identified pics on the net. Diamondbacks also have the diagonal facial stripes.
Head scalation is completely different on Mojaves.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Mohave will have black and white bands just before the rattle- I see none on this one. Mohaves don’t get very big- 3 1/2 foot max.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quick ID'd with the tail in this case.. the crotalus scutulatus or Mojave Green goes into an mostly black and white striped pattern at the tail.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:11:05 AM EDT
[#13]
the Mohave will look just like a western diamondback save for the width of the white tail bands, head scalation, and eye stripe. They won’t ever get as big as diamondbacks can. The antivenin is the same for all pit vipers in North America.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You need a fire mission to find and eradicate their fucking nest. Sheesh.
View Quote
I've never seen a nest or any gathering of them.  Just solitary snakes that remain motionless.   The western diamondbacks are much more active.  They will travel anywhere in search of food.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:17:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quick ID'd with the tail in this case.. the crotalus scutulatus or Mojave Green goes into an mostly black and white striped pattern at the tail.
View Quote
Is that the tail or the rattle, because I've shot a snake identical to this one but the rattle was alternating bright white and black.  It was much smaller.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:19:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is that the tail or the rattle, because I've shot a snake identical to this one but the rattle was alternating bright white and black.  It was much smaller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

B&W tail banding is not exclusive to Mojaves.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
If all it had was black and white bands it was probably a very young snake.  They start with a small black button on the end and as they grow and shed they add rattles.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Doesn’t matter they scare the crap out of me!  I’m allergic to bee stings, I can’t imagine a rattlesnake bite.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

B&W tail banding is not exclusive to Mojaves.
View Quote
No, its not, but in this case.. between one of those and the prairie it was the first difference I noticed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd call that a Mojave green
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd call that a Mojave green
View Quote
And you'd be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Do you chop off the head and neck and bury them or do you leave the whole snake for the scavengers?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do you chop off the head and neck and bury them or do you leave the whole snake for the scavengers?
View Quote
I destroy the head so it cannot bite.  Interesting to watch videos of decapitated snake heads still biting.   I leave the carcass in the woods and in a few hours, something will have dragged it off for dinner, probably a coyote.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#24]
how close to your residence are you finding these guys?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Walked up on this guy at 10k feet.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
how close to your residence are you finding these guys?
View Quote
The Prairie rattlers have been within 10ft of the house, usually hiding under a bush.   The western diamondbacks are everywhere.   They will crawl inside buildings and vehicles looking for food.   You have to be very careful opening doors, moving things, etc.   Wherever mice may be, there could easily be a diamondback.   My efforts to eradicate the snake's food supply, mice, have failed.   Just too many mice.   The diamondbacks will usually rattle, and that has saved me a couple times.  The brush was so dense I couldn't see them, even when looking hard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72631/IMG_1294-676533.JPG
View Quote
Great Basin Rattlesnake, nice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I hope you buried the head. If not, there's a species of wasp that can eat it and become as venomous as the rattlesnake was.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hope you buried the head. If not, there's a species of wasp that can eat it and become as venomous as the rattlesnake was.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have seen a couple of those up high although I didn't know the exact elevations it could have been close to that and they were both very large specimens. One was stretched across the road and I may have run over it. I stopped to see but by that time it had got into waist high sagebrush and I decided I wouldn't follow. I would have liked to had a closer look because I think it was about the biggest rattler I had ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I just got in touch with my snake expert.  He says prairie.  These are a few he has caught this year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Op needs to get a bucket spinner trap set. Up to dispose of mice
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#33]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#34]
We have those here.

We call em Carolina white snakes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Sad that you ruined a good looking hide for a belt.

LOL

Red
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, good looking Mojave in the added pic!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually,
I thought that was a Prairie, mis-identified as a Mojave.

I don't see any differences in my last photo vs my first photo in the original post.  Do you?

I really wanted to be able to tell a doctor the correct species of snake that tagged me.   I would think the treatment for Prairie vs Mojave would be different based on the lethality of the venoms.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Hmmm,

collecting pit vipers.

RISK vs REWARD.

Risking death or serious injury plus possible financial ruin from medical bills.

what is the reward?   is it worth that risk?    I'm just not seeing it.

of course,  I've been wiped out financially from medical bills a few times.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hmmm,

collecting pit vipers.

RISK vs REWARD.

Risking death or serious injury plus possible financial ruin from medical bills.

View Quote
Hell . . . it's considered great sport in some places.  Fried rattlesnake . . . Mmmmmmmmmmmmm ! ! !

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeeeeaah,

looks to me like Russian Roulette,

sooner or later,

you're gonna lose.

ETA....

Hmmm,

looks like duct tape holding together sheetrock wall.

Little kids pressing their weight against a cheap piece of fatigued plexiglas screwed to sheetrock.

what could possibly go wrong?

the plexiglas breaks,

the kids fall in,

on top of a dozen large rattlers,

and several pissed off diamondbacks envenomate them,

while their parents watch.

sorry.

I've been on this planet long enough to see plenty of people injured/killed from stupid stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hmmm,

collecting pit vipers.

RISK vs REWARD.

of course,  I've been wiped out financially from medical bills a few times.
View Quote
This guy doesn't care.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Actually,

I don't see any differences in my last photo vs my first photo in the original post.  Do you?

I really wanted to be able to tell a doctor the correct species of snake that tagged me.   I would think the treatment for Prairie vs Mojave would be different based on the lethality of the venoms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually,

No, that is a classic example of a Mojave. To me, the difference is stark and immediately apparent.
There is only one treatment for all North American pit viper envenomations. Regardless of which species you may have been bitten by, you are going to receive the same treatment. There is no need to kill, or bring the snake with you for ID purposes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This guy doesn't care.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3TDZ64wSQ
View Quote
Unfucking believable.

I'll bet that guy is making $12/hr.

Dealing with lots of very aggressive, very deadly snakes.

seems like a very poor life decision to me.

He should at least be carrying a revolver loaded with snake shot.

imagine working there and an earthquake damages the building enough that you're trapped,

and two dozen pissed off cobras are loose.

I once worked security at an amusement park where a recently fired employee snuck in and let loose several deadly snakes and unlocked the gorilla cage.   The gorilla was the size of Sasquatch, and would swing a 300lb tractor tire, that was chained to the ceiling, so high it would leave skid marks on the ceiling.

All the guys started carrying 44magnums and even heavy rifles in addition to our duty sidearms.   Probably would have only made the gorilla mad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mojaves have more diamond shaped markings that are proportionately larger and more closely spaced, and black and white bands on the tail.  As stated, yours are prairie rattlesnakes, and in your area the two are about the same as far as toxins go.  The real dangerous mojaves are west of central AZ.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great Basin rattlesnake.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Mohave will have black and white bands just before the rattle- I see none on this one. Mohaves don't get very big- 3 1/2 foot max.
View Quote
Both prairie rattlesnakes and mojaves can run a tad over four feet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too much variation in markings/coloration, even within local geographic populations, to rely solely on them for ID purposes.
Notice the difference in scalation between the two.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Poor kitty!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, that is a classic example of a Mojave. To me, the difference is stark and immediately apparent.
There is only one treatment for all North American pit viper envenomations. Regardless of which species you may have been bitten by, you are going to receive the same treatment. There is no need to kill, or bring the snake with you for ID purposes.
View Quote
Interesting.

Almost every website and survival book that addresses snakebite, that I have read, says to make a safe attempt to identify the type of snake.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Killed two in the last couple weeks, they looked just like that fucker! The second one was less that two feet from me when I saw him!!! I fucking hate snakes!
I'm in southern Colorado way sothern!!! They were green as shit!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top