Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/13/2022 10:04:15 PM EDT
The Dow was up 2.8% today, and the SP500 was up 2.6%, after opening in negative territory.  Nice gains, considering recent history.  What does this mean?  Is it just a dead cat bounce?  The fundamentals haven't changed - inflation is still hot, the Fed is going to raise rates for the forseeable future, the invasion of Ukraine by the Soviets has not abated, Brandon is still Chairman and still has dementia, and Europe is going to freeze this winter.

I'd like to know who bought the market today, and why.  Bottom fishers?  Hedge funds?  Fools and their money?

I have said several times in GD that money hates to sit idle.  It doesn't like to get 1%-2% per year, when it's used to 8%-10% or more.  All those automatic payroll deductions into 401k plans are losing no matter where it goes - either to stock market losses, bond NAV losses, or inflation in cash.  Money will sit idle for a while in cash on the sidelines, but its patience has limitations.  Have we reached the point where money just wants to go somewhere - anywhere - where there's a chance to at least keep up with Bidenflation?  Is this just desperation we're seeing?  Or a real market turnaround?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Finna go into crypto eventually :3
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Cash is king right now. Give it a little while yet. We’re going to see deals everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Desperation...
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cash is king right now. Give it a little while yet. We’re going to see deals everywhere.
View Quote

Somebody thought there were deals today.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I buy gold from Rosilyn Capital.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

PMs suck too.  With inflation at 9%+++, you'd think PMs would be through the roof.  Nobody wants that crap.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy physical gold, while you can.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eta: not laughing at you, just reminded me of the William Devane commercials
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy physical gold, while you can.
View Quote

Nobody wants that crap.  Even physically.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I buy the dips regardless.  The dips have become predictable when ever the FED releases a statement or provides data.

I think today was a result of a lot of people selling puts and short covering.  Nothing more than that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Up 2% today and down 4 tomorrow. Rinse and repeat with Potato.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cash is king right now. Give it a little while yet. We're going to see deals everywhere.
View Quote
This.   Sit tight, the inflation numbers are still high and the Fed will manage to keep things lively for a bit longer.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sure. It all happened between 10:30 and 11 am. Everything went up. Quite a coincidence.
View Quote

Who, and why?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Gold, silver, and their modern equivalents never saved anybody.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nobody wants that crap.  Even physically.
View Quote

Big buyers are the central banks.  But we small fish get food and fuel in anticipation of the years long winter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Eta: not laughing at you, just reminded me of the William Devane commercials
View Quote

It's funny when you can hear the words. ??
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you saying super-stable crypto ISN'T going to replace the USD as the world's reserve currency?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.   Sit tight, the inflation numbers are still high and the Fed will manage to keep things lively for a bit longer.
View Quote

Sitting tight is losing me 10%+++ per year.  Like that old cartoon showing vultures sitting on a tree branch, one of them says, "Patience my ass.  I'm gonna kill something."
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
We are sitting on the 200WMA for the S&P 500 -- this isn't exactly the best place to be bearish.

All these posts are pretty much a bottom signal
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Dow was up 2.8% today, and the SP500 was up 2.6%, after opening in negative territory.  Nice gains, considering recent history.  What does this mean?  Is it just a dead cat bounce?  The fundamentals haven't changed - inflation is still hot, the Fed is going to raise rates for the forseeable future, the invasion of Ukraine by the Soviets has not abated, Brandon is still Chairman and still has dementia, and Europe is going to freeze this winter.

I'd like to know who bought the market today, and why.  Bottom fishers?  Hedge funds?  Fools and their money?

I have said several times in GD that money hates to sit idle.  It doesn't like to get 1%-2% per year, when it's used to 8%-10% or more.  All those automatic payroll deductions into 401k plans are losing no matter where it goes - either to stock market losses, bond NAV losses, or inflation in cash.  Money will sit idle for a while in cash on the sidelines, but its patience has limitations.  Have we reached the point where money just wants to go somewhere - anywhere - where there's a chance to at least keep up with Bidenflation?  Is this just desperation we're seeing?  Or a real market turnaround?

Inquiring minds want to know!
View Quote

Short sellers need to BUY to make money.  That's who!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We are sitting on the 200WMA for the S&P 500 -- this isn't exactly the best place to be bearish.

All these posts are pretty much a bottom signal
View Quote

So, who was buying today, and why?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Scared money don't make money.

~Mr. Worldwide.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know when the bottom will be but I do know that BY DEFINITION the majority of people will be wrong about it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Defense stocks. Biden will probably start a few more wars.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know when the bottom will be but I do know that BY DEFINITION the majority of people will be wrong about it.

View Quote

50% of everyone are below average.  It might be 75% with GD.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Algorithms, pro traders that see a clean sweep of the June lows and a reclaim and know that it's a bullish divergence.  Historically, we get bounces and reversals on the 200WMA.

Does this guarantee anything?  No way....but I'd much rather be a buyer here than a seller, even if there is another leg down.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Defense stocks. Biden will probably start a few more wars.
View Quote

OK, but that doesn't explain the broad market move today.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Producers and Merchants finally have pricing power after losing two years to the wuflu. Record profits are being reached. Why wouldn’t an investor buy every dip here?
Maybe not anything related to real estate but most other equities and products have pricing power.
even the poors have to buy commodities.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#30]
will do this for some period of time. fluctuations up and down, short term big players making moves. is typical of uncertainty. no normal person will be able to discern a useful pattern. big players making tiny amounts per item traded on single transactions in huge trades, back and forth, short and long. you need to be on the floor or on a super high speed direct to floor connection and be using ultra fast computers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

so in the history of the world somebody having gold never literally saved their life, eh?

boy was i misinformed!

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#32]
As long as I get my 8.7% raise I’m not nervous.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#33]
"Already baked in the market"
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#34]
CD right now can get 4ish. Won’t keep up with inflation but might take a bite out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

so in the history of the world somebody having gold never literally saved their life, eh?

boy was i misinformed!

View Quote

Remember Smaug in "The Hobbit"?  All that gold didn't help him one bit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your confusing median and mean.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Algorithms, pro traders that see a clean sweep of the June lows and a reclaim and know that it's a bullish divergence.  Historically, we get bounces and reversals on the 200WMA.

Does this guarantee anything?  No way....but I'd much rather be a buyer here than a seller, even if there is another leg down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy those dips. Pain hasn’t started yet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Your confusing median and mean.
View Quote

Median, mean, that's too much math for me, homie.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh yes it has.  I've lost a Ferrari since Jan. 1.  Not the most expensive Ferrari, but a Ferrari nonetheless.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

We will see how this ages.  Could be wrong, but history since the 50’s says this is a good spot to buy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Oh yes it has.  I've lost a Ferrari since Jan. 1.  Not the most expensive Ferrari, but a Ferrari nonetheless.  
View Quote

only if you sold
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are you saying super-stable crypto ISN'T going to replace the USD as the world's reserve currency?
View Quote

I’m saying putting your faith in any of it is a fallacy of epic proportions.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

only if you sold
View Quote

Let me re-phrase: The Ferrari I didn't buy on Jan. 1 I can't buy now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I’m saying putting your faith in any of it is a fallacy of epic proportions.
View Quote

My net worth says otherwise, even after this current bloodletting.  But I'm not happy about it.  I like to win.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We will see how this ages.  Could be wrong, but history since the 50’s says this is a good spot to buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2023 is the 50th Anniv. of the petro-dollar.  History says fiat currencies last only 50 years and Saudi Arabia already reneged on the petro-dollar agreement by accepting yuan.  Interpret that as the basis for the petro-dollar is gone.

Federal Reserve Note (Dollar) is still the fastest horse in the glue factory (BoJ can't sell Yen Bonds b/c no one showed up for the auction and BoE says it won't buy bonds anymore).  I expect a flight to the dollar as foreigners seek the safety of the world's reserve currency.  Dollar will buoy up from it.  Then brrrrrrrrrr! finishes it.

They want to replace the federal reserve note with CBDC (credit and the company store).
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Melt up.  Then it emplodes!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

2023 is the 50th Anniv. of the petro-dollar.  History says fiat currencies last only 50 years and Saudi Arabia already reneged on the petro-dollar agreement by accepting yuan.  Interpret that as the basis for the petro-dollar is gone.

Federal Reserve Note (Dollar) is still the fastest horse in the glue factory (BoJ can't sell Yen Bonds b/c no one showed up for the auction and BoE says it won't buy bonds anymore).  I expect a flight to the dollar as foreigners seek the safety of the world's reserve currency.  Dollar will buoy up from it.  Then brrrrrrrrrr! finishes it.

They want to replace the federal reserve note with CBDC (credit and the company store).
View Quote
I agree but I'm suspecting we have the same issue as Japan already.  Can't sell bonds at low rates due to other countries not trusting us.  We abandoned our allies in Afghanistan and gave their biometric data to the Taliban.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I watch these market summaries periodically,

YouTube
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Buy Chinese stocks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top