Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nobody wants that crap.  Even physically.
View Quote

If there is a complete economic collapse and someone decides it's safer to buy from me than steal from me, I won't be accepting anything intangible as payment.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If there is a complete economic collapse and someone decides it's safer to buy from me than steal from me, I won't be accepting anything intangible as payment.
View Quote

Yea but you'll still accept Safemoon right?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cash is king right now. Give it a little while yet. We're going to see deals everywhere.
View Quote
yep. You'll take a haircut in the near term due to inflation, but you're keeping your powder dry for when everything goes on sale
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought 1 share of TSLA dirt cheap.  1 share.

Baller

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

so in the history of the world somebody having gold never literally saved their life, eh?

boy was i misinformed!

View Quote
30 pieces of silver or so can off some pretty famous people historically speaking
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm investing in NFT's.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#7]
This wasn’t 10,000 Spidey apostles throwing in their bi monthly contribution.  And it wasn’t 10 million 401k contributors either.  

Is there anyplace that shows where the inflows were coming from?  

Obviously, it’s big money.   World Banks?  China?   Wall street collusion?  

Some of you guys have good insight.  The financial news had no explanation that I could find.    Anyone have theories?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Plunge protection team keeping everything from collapsing until after midterm election.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The premium on a 1oz gold eagle has risen from $100 over spot, to $220 over spot in the last 3 or 4 months.
"Gold" is $1668 right now, but it's $1888 if you actually want to hold it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The premium on a 1oz gold eagle has risen from $100 over spot, to $220 over spot in the last 3 or 4 months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  $1775 today.  Free shipping, no tax.  You’re off by more than $100. Why do people always exaggerate pm prices.   Provident, fwiw.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plunge protection team keeping everything from collapsing until after midterm election.
View Quote

Yep. The fed stepped in to protect the puppets.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
When Fiat dies, you better be holding something.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This wasn’t 10,000 Spidey apostles throwing in their bi monthly contribution.  And it wasn’t 10 million 401k contributors either.  

Some of you guys have good insight.  The financial news had no explanation that I could find.    Anyone have theories?  
View Quote

I couldn't find it, either.  Hence the thread.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Plausible.

Midterms hit, Republicans sweep, training wheels are removed from the market, interest rates continue to rise, market tanks hard, Republicans receive blame from the media.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Buyers seeking to cover puts or calls. I don’t know enough about that game to ascertain which but that’s my bet.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gold was about $2040 in Feb.-Mar. of this year.  It's way down since then, while inflation has raged.  As an inflation hedge, it has sucked.  As an investment, it has sucked.

It just plain sucks at a time when it should be on a roll.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wrong.  $1775 today.  Free shipping, no tax.  You’re off by more than $100. Why do people always exaggerate pm prices.   Provident, fwiw.
View Quote

$1750 at JM Bullion for Valcambi

https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-valcambi-gold-bar-new-w-assay/

$1770 at Apmex for a Krug

https://www.apmex.com/product/62/south-african-1-oz-gold-krugerrand-coin-bu-random-year

JM Bullion is my jam

Edit: My bad Enzo I saw his post and didn't see your response referencing an AE
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Plausible.

Midterms hit, Republicans sweep, training wheels are removed from the market, interest rates continue to rise, market tanks hard, Republicans receive blame from the media.
View Quote

Or, Republicans sweep, people regain some faith in America, markets rebound.  It happened under Trump, and right away, too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote

How do you explain the fact that gold has taken a giant crap since Feb., precisely when inflation started to crank up?  Gold should be the last man standing, and it's groveling in the mud like everything else.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Still buying. I'm gonna keep buying. When the dims are booted out the market is going to skyrocket. That's my hope anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about a link to that $1775 American Gold Eagle, because I see $1869 there. LINK

Apmex and my guy around the corner are both at 1889.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How do you explain the fact that gold has taken a giant crap since Feb., precisely when inflation started to crank up?  Gold should be the last man standing, and it's groveling in the mud like everything else.
View Quote

The starting point was zero interest rates, so bonds and gold were basically tied as a store of value.  With rates rising, the price of bonds are down, but they actually pay a yield now (less than inflation, but something at least).  Also a lot of what would have bid up gold got evaporated in crypto.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm financially comfortable enough to have a very good financial advisor who gets briefed by someone with an in with Yellen. (three degrees of separation)

The treasury thinking (if the shit doesn't hit the fan with Putin) is more interest rate rises (2-4), 5-10% more drop in the markets (optimistic in my opinion), a mild recession for 2 quarters.

Based on his advice I put 7 figures I had in cash into 1 year CDs and good tax free munis, sold another 7 figures of stock so I can rebuy after more than a month when it should be lower and I can bank a 6 figure capital loss to offset future gains, a year from should be a good point to get back in stocks.
View Quote

I think you are going to miss some nice gains soon after the midterm.  That has been my play lately.  Time will tell.

BTW, I don't think Yellen knows her ass from a hole in the ground.  "Transitory" LOL.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The starting point was zero interest rates, so bonds and gold were basically tied as a store of value.  With rates rising, the price of bonds are down, but they actually pay a yield now (less than inflation, but something at least).  Also a lot of what would have bid up gold got evaporated in crypto.
View Quote

I'm not seeing the link between crypto and PMs.  The target audience is different for each.  Youngsters like the technology of crypto, oldsters like the shiny PMs.  Oldsters are dying off.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:13:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I agree with you on Yellen, but info on what the treasury thinks is better than no info.

Midterms should hopefully be a positive bump but the fundamentals are still broken and nothing will change longer term until Biden is gone.

I've had success timing the market in the past but now I'm focused longer term for my kids future, got another 12 years or so of high income (until my youngest is in college and we can retire) then it will be boards and investment income.
View Quote

We already know what Treasury thinks, they tell us every day and twice on Sunday.  Hike hike hike.  ETA: And print print print.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:17:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm not seeing the link between crypto and PMs.  The target audience is different for each.  Youngsters like the technology of crypto, oldsters like the shiny PMs.  Oldsters are dying off.
View Quote

Both are a way to hold savings outside the usd ecosystem. Turns out youngsters thought monkey jpegs were better than coins in a shoe box.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Both are a way to hold savings outside the usd ecosystem. Turns out youngsters thought monkey jpegs were better than coins in a shoe box.
View Quote

Turns out both were wrong, but the youngsters were wronger.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I went through this same crap in 2008.  Everybody said buy gold and silver.
It went up, but not much.  It didn't go up with inflation like it should have.
I believe the markets are manipulated.

I made the mistake of not investing during the housing collapse.  I lost hundreds of thousands.

Buy gold if you want, but I'd still recommend buying stocks on sale.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How about a link to that $1775 American Gold Eagle, because I see $1869 there. LINK

Apmex and my guy around the corner are both at 1889.
View Quote

I edited my post. I didn't see you mentioned an AE
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I went through this same crap in 2008.  Everybody said buy gold and silver.
It went up, but not much.  It didn't go up with inflation like it should have.
I believe the markets are manipulated.

I made the mistake of not investing during the housing collapse.  I lost hundreds of thousands.

Buy gold if you want, but I'd still recommend buying stocks on sale.

View Quote

I'm buying all of the above, but my guess is stocks are going to be "on sale" for a couple years to come. . . Especially tech
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s more hopium on a pivot.  That will get crushed, again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Or, Republicans sweep, people regain some faith in America, markets rebound.  It happened under Trump, and right away, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plausible.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#36]

IDK, I don't see that as a laughably crazy scenario

I mean don't look at it as the R's are so competent that faith in America is restored but really it's that Dem policy is so toxic that even an effective deterrent and gridlock could give the market some hope
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Here is my take.  Lots of put buying lately, even on Apple.  Look at the bank index today, xlf and the homebuilders index, xhb.  Insane manipulation in the face of really bad news for those particular industries as rates are going higher, maybe much higher.  Banks start reporting earnings tomorrow, no chance in hell that's gonna be rosy.  Bottom line, this was program buying and market maker manipulation to try and dump more of their inventory, trying to lure short sellers to cover and dip buyers.  Note that every single spike like today has been a good time to short or lighten up if you're on the long side this year.  Didn't matter if it was stocks, bonds or commodities.  And this move started yesterday with a lot of volatility but at the end of the day the indices were basically unchanged.  They're just trying to lure in more suckers.  Why now?  I expect earnings are going to be a train wreck and they needed to front run the carnage that's coming.  They did that exact move prior to the last cpi, ran it up prior and then when it came out and the pivot hopes were crushed yet again, they let the market fall.

Also, as far as metals, that's a liquidity play right now.  The dollar is too strong (or rather, other currencies are too weak, looking at you japan) and that's driving global liquidity problems.  Our stock market is loaded with lots of worthless companies that are doomed to bankruptcy and as they die and jobs are lost money gets tight and people will sell whatever has value, with metals being a prime example.  Pawn shops are going to be thriving.

Ibonds, tbills and short the unicorns on bounces while going long energy.  Energy is going to make sure inflation is killed off, so it's like a collar on the market.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#38]
The best excuse for today’s bounce is ‘sell the news’ paired with highly negative sentiment/positioning,” said Ross Mayfield, investment strategy analyst at Baird. “The market had already fallen six straight days, de-risking the report a bit, and September CPI likely doesn’t change the near-term path of the Fed (which was already quite hawkish).”

Still, persistent inflation remains a problem for the Fed and for investors’ worries around the central bank’s policy tightening.

“The turnaround is a welcome respite for investors, but the market still requires greater clarity on the extent of tightening still ahead,” said Brian Levitt, global market strategist at Invesco. “The focus remains on the pace of inflation and the underlying strength in the jobs market. A market rally will likely commence when the market believes that a Fed tightening pause is in the offing.”

There’s some hope among investors that third-quarter earnings can perhaps come to the market’s rescue like it did in the previous reporting period.

While some companies have been releasing their quarterly results, big banks will get the ball rolling on Friday. JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup are all scheduled to report before the bell. U.S. Bancorp and PNC Financial are also on the schedule, along with UnitedHealth.

There’s still more economic data this week, too. September’s retail sales will come out at 8:30 a.m. ET. Later in the morning, investors are looking forward to the latest consumer sentiment figures from the University of Michigan.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone notice the futures starting to plummet?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I mean don't look at it as the R's are so competent that faith in America is restored but really it's that Dem policy is so toxic that even an effective deterrent and gridlock could give the market some hope
View All Quotes
Quoted:

JPow says hold my beer. That’s what folks keep missing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#41]
FJB’s  CPA

Crash Protection Agency
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#42]
https://www.barrons.com/articles/options-betting-stock-market-collapse-51665611097?mod=hp_LEAD_1_B_4
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm investing in NFT's.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Algorithms, pro traders that see a clean sweep of the June lows and a reclaim and know that it's a bullish divergence.  Historically, we get bounces and reversals on the 200WMA.

Does this guarantee anything?  No way....but I'd much rather be a buyer here than a seller, even if there is another leg down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, who was buying today, and why?

Algorithms, pro traders that see a clean sweep of the June lows and a reclaim and know that it's a bullish divergence.  Historically, we get bounces and reversals on the 200WMA.

Does this guarantee anything?  No way....but I'd much rather be a buyer here than a seller, even if there is another leg down.

This is where I’m at. I had some fairly optimistic limit orders fill on open, I feel like we’re in for more down but I’m happy to take the orders I got where I did. It’s all part of it, I’ll never find the bottom and time it perfect so I’ve learned to just be happy with a good deal and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Worldwide credit crisis is BREWING.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Worldwide credit crisis is BREWING.
View Quote

Eh, banks and lending institutions know they will get bailed out again if it goes sour.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Poors thread
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here is my take.  Lots of put buying lately, even on Apple.  Look at the bank index today, xlf and the homebuilders index, xhb.  Insane manipulation in the face of really bad news for those particular industries as rates are going higher, maybe much higher.  Banks start reporting earnings tomorrow, no chance in hell that's gonna be rosy.  Bottom line, this was program buying and market maker manipulation to try and dump more of their inventory, trying to lure short sellers to cover and dip buyers.  Note that every single spike like today has been a good time to short or lighten up if you're on the long side this year.  Didn't matter if it was stocks, bonds or commodities.  And this move started yesterday with a lot of volatility but at the end of the day the indices were basically unchanged.  They're just trying to lure in more suckers.  Why now?  I expect earnings are going to be a train wreck and they needed to front run the carnage that's coming.  They did that exact move prior to the last cpi, ran it up prior and then when it came out and the pivot hopes were crushed yet again, they let the market fall.

Also, as far as metals, that's a liquidity play right now.  The dollar is too strong (or rather, other currencies are too weak, looking at you japan) and that's driving global liquidity problems.  Our stock market is loaded with lots of worthless companies that are doomed to bankruptcy and as they die and jobs are lost money gets tight and people will sell whatever has value, with metals being a prime example.  Pawn shops are going to be thriving.

Ibonds, tbills and short the unicorns on bounces while going long energy.  Energy is going to make sure inflation is killed off, so it's like a collar on the market.
View Quote

^^^ Mostly this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#50]
I think there was a lot of automated buying yesterday, every stock I follow had the same graph.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top