Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Tax increases + insurance increases + inflation = Fundamental transformation.

You'll own nothing and be happy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why have the property taxes gone up that much?
View Quote
Because the property is worth 10x more.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh, you mean when people were lucky to make in a day what minimum wage is for an hour now?  When there were like 20 tax brackets that ended at 91%?   Those good old days?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before I feel any pity for him, I'd just like to know how much he payed in rent/mortgage in his 20s. Average rent nowadays is $1,600 to $1,700 for a basic 1 bedroom apartment. If he only has to pay $800 for a house to live in while younger generations have to pay double that for a 1 bedroom apartment, then I honestly feel nothing for him.

Oh, you mean when people were lucky to make in a day what minimum wage is for an hour now?  When there were like 20 tax brackets that ended at 91%?   Those good old days?

Yeah I make double in an hour now then I made in a 8hr day at my first job 34 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ironically, the old people complaining are also the ones voting for this stuff.

You think working parents have time to remember when the random local elections are held?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As someone who fought the local school bond tax hike..I feel this man's issues.

Last Tuesday we had our primary, and ther were 2 bond issues. One to continue a property tax for fire, one for EMS. I voted against both, but both won by a 4 to 1 margin. WTF?
Ironically, the old people complaining are also the ones voting for this stuff.

You think working parents have time to remember when the random local elections are held?

I've noticed a correlation between the amount of advertising for school levies and their likelihood of passing.   The more yard signs, the less likely it is to pass.  All the parents know about it and will show up to vote for the levy, regardless of signs.  The more it's advertised, the more people know about it and will show up to vote against it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
We downsized to our waterfront troublewide fish camp from our S Tampa primary when my Gal retired in '17. Our property taxes, flood, wind, fire and liability insurance is a whopping 3.8% of our retirement income. Nobody downsizes upon retirement any more to preserve their retirement savings/portfolio? At one time it was quite common.

I know, this is arfcom, GBPSE.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It can’t be an increase in value due to demand. Our population isn’t having enough kids to maintain the current population. So I have no idea
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The property assessment may be 10x higher.  That doesn't mean it's worth 10x more.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Better yet cut the amount that goes to schools to zero after age 50.  Then make families pay per kid to make up the difference.

The school part may be over 50% of my property tax bill.
View Quote

My property taxes are 80% schools.

I don’t have kids in the school district.

We are going to homeschool.

Why should I be taxed twice for education?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At what age should you stop paying property tax?

Let them take the tax out of the sale price after I’m dead.
View Quote

Realistically you shouldn’t pay it period. But we’ve devolved into appearing our government to tax us on what we earn, invest, save, buy, and own. And somehow our government still runs a deficit every year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In TN, maybe other states too, one can lock in their property tax rate at 65yo for life. Not many folks seem to take advantage of this though.
View Quote

Counties govt has to vote to adopt this and only 26 counties have done so.  Then the amt of income is usually set at the poverty level so most home owners probably can't use it anyway.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Before I feel any pity for him, I'd just like to know how much he payed in rent/mortgage in his 20s. Average rent nowadays is $1,600 to $1,700 for a basic 1 bedroom apartment. If he only has to pay $800 for a house to live in while younger generations have to pay double that for a 1 bedroom apartment, then I honestly feel nothing for him.
View Quote

He could definitely bootstrap harder. Thats what I was told the solution to housing prices is
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy a D9 dozer and express your dissatisfaction.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Buy a D9 dozer and express your dissatisfaction.
View Quote

"I was always willing to be reasonable until I had to be unreasonable. Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."
 Marvin Heemeyer
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#14]
My county doubled my property value on my acreage last year which doubled my taxes.   You think I'd see double the services lol

Claimed agriculture now screwm
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I was talking to a coworker about property taxes and he was very impressed with how low mine was.

Then I told the Mass resident that it was for the entire year, not just a month

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And going where? Serious question.
View Quote

@Oldgold

Trapani, Sicily (west of Palermo).

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Every locality LOVES property tax hikes. It's free money for every useless POS employee they can absolutely employ and all the new fancy useless shit they can purchase. Every hike is pushed by the locality and I'd bet a ton of bitchers vote for more govt shit, schools, programs, and God knows what else while keeping Karen and Chad in office even after they spend, spend, tax, spend, tax, spend thru several election cycles.

You have met the enemy and he is us.

Vote the fuckers out. Vote the new fuckers out if they don't change local taxes, and keep doing it until you get people in that don't fuck over homeowners AND business owners.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Look at how much my property value has gone up! Great investment and my net worth increased!

WTF! My taxes went up? OMG! This is not fair! Somebody do something!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Those over 65 in Oklahoma can apply for a valuation freeze if their income is less than $85,300/yr. So far our tax has  increased only a few $s a month due to school bond votes.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#20]
property tax on a primary residence should be locked at purchase and remain the same until the home is sold.  if the only property you own is your home, you shouldn't be at the mercy of vanguard and airbnb investors driving the market up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Taxation is theft.
View Quote

Property taxes are even a bigger scam that the fucking LIE of "income tax"....
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

shouldn't exist..
if govt can seize property you paid for because you didn't pay "muh property tax..." then you're just fucking a long term renter....
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Counties govt has to vote to adopt this and only 26 counties have done so.  Then the amt of income is usually set at the poverty level so most home owners probably can't use it anyway.
View Quote

That's good to know. I didn't know the specifics of it, I thought it was statewide law.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Government at all levels has become imperious and unrestrained.

They govern by force, threat and intimidation.

We were warned.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Taxation is theft.
View Quote

100% correct.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The property assessment may be 10x higher.  That doesn't mean it's worth 10x more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The county should be required to buy the property immediately for what they value it at for tax purposes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The county should be required to buy the property immediately for what they value it at for tax purposes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They just did our reassessment at the peak of the housing spike.  Mine went from $4600 to $5700.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A senior from Montana has delivered a viral speech about the sorry state of property taxes in the Treasure State.

"I'm on Social Security, I'm 68-years-old and working just to pay my taxes," says Kurt, in a clip shared on TikTok by Ryan Busse, who is running to be the next governor of Montana.

Kurt claims that over the last couple of years, his annual property taxes have soared from $895 to almost $8,000   an increase of around 790%   which he says is like paying almost "$700 a month rent to the state to live in our own house." The state has an Elderly Homeowner/Renter Tax Credit, and the maximum credit is $1,150.

"There needs to be a moratorium on what we have to pay," he says, adding that he's had to continue working into what should be his retirement golden years to cover his mounting property costs. "I'm stubborn enough [that] I don't want to dig into my bank account to pay them."

Kurt is one of thousands of Montana homeowners suffering sticker shock over recent property tax hikes. He says: "We just can't take this anymore. This was a great place and it still is, but the people that made it great can't afford to live here anymore."

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/wDneLFHlVowOoW0POBC7HQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTQyNztjZj13ZWJw/https://media.zenfs.com/en/moneywise_327/ae5d1ddd54646912bb9937ab1e0f8996
View Quote

moar
View Quote

Prop 13 ftw. for the same reason as in the article. The fucking immigrants from other states were ruining this state in the 70s jacking up property values. Now their grandkids are moving back home.
 But the dems are continually trying to repeal it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@Oldgold

Trapani, Sicily (west of Palermo).

View Quote

Wow! Now that’s a move! Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not from Montana, but have known a few from there. I've never heard the term Montucky except in JL threads here. Is that a common term for Montana?
View Quote
I was born in Montana and never heard of the word Montucky.

Montana taxes are crazy.
One reason my middle sister moved up to AK.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Taxation is theft
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Taxation is theft.
View Quote

lol

So, you're smarter and wiser than all of the Founding Fathers, combined?  I seriously doubt it.  Have you ever read the United States Constitution?

Let me quote part of it:

Article I, Section 2: Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.

Article I Section 7:
All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Article I Section 8:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

Here's the 10th Amendment:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

This means that if States or the People wish to tax themselves, they can.

Now, you may think taxes are theft, but the Founders would disagree with you, and I would submit you are nowise smarter than they were.  You may also think taxes are too damned high, and I would be the first to agree.  But I have proven that taxes are not theft.  They are specifically provided for under the Constitution, the greatest document for self-government ever written.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Montana taxes are crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not from Montana, but have known a few from there. I've never heard the term Montucky except in JL threads here. Is that a common term for Montana?

Montana taxes are crazy.

Nobody here says “Montucky”. I usually hear it when out of state from people who are trying to sound down with whatever redneckiness they perceive to exist in MT (which is nothing at all like that of Appalachia).

Nobody drinks Cold Snacks either.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ryan Busse is a gun grabbing faggot.
View Quote

He is the turd in Montanas punch bowl.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Same as ohio, property taxes are based on home value.

1% * $100k home =$1k/yr in taxes

Loan rates + Californian = it's a $500k house with $5k/yr in taxes.
View Quote

This is a prime example of what I posted in the "4th Turning" thread.

His house is the same house; only "worth more" due to a rapidly devaluing dollar (INTENTIONAL). This man's alleged GAINS are SOLELY due
to money printing. The scam is now he owes a higher tax on his asset. This is how assets are harvested and funnelled from the many into the hands of the few which is a great ride for the few but eventually the masses are left with nothing and the whole ant colony collapses.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#36]
You’ll own nothing and be happy.

Oh wait….. We already do.

Owning my home outright has really made me hate property taxes on a whole new level.

I’m convinced that if more people owned their property outright property taxes would quickly go away as people realized how much the .gov is fleecing them each year. Most people really don’t pay attention when it’s rolled into the mortgage payment and spread out over 12 months.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Busse is a dick.  If he's involved, I'm skeptical.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Remind me how much folks are paying for sales tax in Montucky?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tax increases + insurance increases + inflation = Fundamental transformation.

You'll Everyone will own nothing and be happy miserable together.
View Quote

FIFY

Communism
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nobody here says “Montucky”. I usually hear it when out of state from people who are trying to sound down with whatever redneckiness they perceive to exist in MT (which is nothing at all like that of Appalachia).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Montana taxes are crazy.

Same, I here it when people are trying to talk shit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rent in my rural town is $ 900 for a 3 bedroom house.  Work is a minimum 30 minute drive.

The catch is, they are sitting empty, unlisted.  If you know the owners family, and have a good name (family reputation) they are available.

If you are some new to the area city slicker, they are not.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I live in lakefront town of 4 thousand year round people, 65% of homes are seasonal, these are multi million dollar homes, non homesteaded.  Huge taxes and no vote.  we just built a 9 million dollars city hall for the 15 people who work there.  35 million dollar school with indoor sports Plex, giant theater for drama.  just had another 3 props last week they all passed.  Most people are -getting paid or a family member is.  they waited until May so more kids were 18 and could vote. Its great paying for all this school stuff when we never had kids, teachers need to retire at 50 and live another 30 years with full pensions and benefits. its out of control. Iam not against some taxes to live in a 1st world country but not this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In FL it’s basically capped at 3% per year.
View Quote

The valuation increase is capped at 3% or the CPI, which ever is lower.
The millage rate is determined by the elected levying authorities.

During the last recession, my property values decreased at 3%.

Also, you get two $25,000 deductions after the first $25k in valuation.
The first $25K deduction is applied to everything, across the board.
The second $25k deduction is applied to everything EXCEPT SCHOOL levies.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Property taxes are the negation of property ownership. At that point, you’re just renting from the gov.

As we can see upthread, makes for some ridiculous school systems, as well.

A numerous and propertied middle class that can be achieved by working individuals of ordinary means is the strength against all forms of authoritarianism.

The ownership of property in a society gives citizens real stakes and power.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is this another case of Montana just sat on low rates forever or no?

I'm in SW Ohio and I pay $11k for 0.4 acres.

View Quote

How much is your house worth? That sounds obscene.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Californication
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I agree with the guy.  Phase out property taxes on the primary residence of home owners 70+.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#48]
We don't live in a mansion and our prop taxes are over 9k a year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Public schools in this country are a scam.  They need higher standards and more discipline, not more money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As Texas ridiculous property taxes piss me off every year, I feel his pain. It's BS.

I found out tax appraisal this year and won. They raised the value of my house, arbitrarily, $40,000. Yes $40,000. I was the highest increase in our neighborhood. Much bigger houses went down or increased a couple thousand. The house across the street went down. They had zero explanation. But dropped the valuation back to a reasonable level.
View Quote

Yep.
Every time I see the county's tax appraised value of my house my first thought is, "Then you should buy it for that amount."

Chip and Joanna Gaines are a pestilence on property value taxes around here.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top