Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked for a company with some British offices. Americans constantly using British slang really started to annoy me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Recruiters always saying “I think you would be a good fit” annoys the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pronouns in signature

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a lot to "unpack" in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Stop tickling my balls (ie get to the point)
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Ping. I think that one is idiotic. Only Marco Ramius used that line......

100,000 ft view......

Equity.....

Demonstrate fortitude..... what? That's like dividing by zero.... you sorts of has or don't.....

Moving on..... that has to be one of the cuntiest ones. I love when the entitled crowded pulls that out when an agenda item isn't completely complete, for they synergistic synergies..... assholes...

Elevate.... we need to elevate......dumb.....

The calls/meetings that are an hour of just buzz speak, with only about 5-10 minutes of actual content are the worst. The ladies..... sorry, birthing persons tend to be worst. Actually, the true marker here I have noticed tends to be their history. If this persons past includes  any level of physical work hey seem to be much better about this. The more fucking private educated, and the more entitled they are the worst he gets. They can spend 30 minutes and not talk about a fucking thing. Especially when they think they're the smartest people in the room, yet they get owned by their sheer incompetence about ever 5-10 minutes....

KPIs.... you can't say KPIs ever 60 seconds unless the actual key performance indicator is the key topic.....

The fucking people who use acronyms in a situation where literally no one else knows what the acronym is...... What a rude ass thing to do. I usually have to stop pump the brakes and explain what the acronym means to everyone else in the discussion. Don't be a fucking asshole, when you're the only one of the room that knows what the acronym means. It also wastes time. Because if you're that person chances are you're going to go on for the next 5 to 10 minutes and nobody else is going to know what the fuck you're talking about unless you're a guy like me that already knows that but is smart enough to know that you need explain it to people, so they also understand.....It doesn't make you fucking smarter, it makes you a jack ass by doing that horseshit.....

Artificial intelligence can't come soon enough. I for one look forward to the cleansing fire that AI will bring. Everyone whose skillset pretty well stops at being able to turn on the computer is going to perish..... I can't fucking wait.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate it and have found myself using it. I stop myself and just say “contact” now. Lol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#8]
A few years ago at a work gathering, every department head had to speak.  

It had become a game to see how many of these kind of phrases could be worked in to the presentation.

I talked my boss into adding "in our department we have lots of tools in our toolbox, but Mike (my bosses boss), is the biggest tool of all".
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#9]
on board, either as a noun or verb.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
pronouns in signature

View Quote

Its moved WAY past pronoun usages. Now to extra virtue signal everyone (stupid people) are now putting rainbow tranny support photos under their signatures.

Shit like this...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#12]
If only everyone's level of bullshit was so low.

Obviously "reach out" sounds a bit more polite than "just fucking ask"
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Uhhh... yes?

Maybe we need to blame the Four Tops?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't that just, you know, colloquial english?

Do you often HEAR people walking around saying “I will REACH OUT” to someone?

I don’t.

But thanks for TOUCHING BASE.

Uhhh... yes?

Maybe we need to blame the Four Tops?

Circle back to us with your preferred pronouns.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The one that goes right through me is "ping", as in I'll ping (reach out to, lol) him.
View Quote

Guys use that here. Constantly.

I HATE this one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
This one is used in my industry ALL the damn time.....

ASAP

I absolutely despise it...  Nobody plans their project correctly and everything is always last minute.  When someone sends an email with ASAP, they are implying that you stop what you are working on to work on their shit...

Ok, Soap box over with.

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure where it came from originally, but it sure sounds like touch base = balls deep.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
"Back of the envelope"

" Lean in"

"down in the weeds"

" top of the waves"

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What are some of your favs?

Mine is “reach out.”

“John, can you REACH OUT to operational engineering please?  These figures for the fuel consumption rate appear wrong.”

“If you have any questions, please REACH OUT to me.”

Etc. etc.

It’s tarded.

Of course this often gets combined with “touch base” and if there are salutations with preferred pronouns it becomes a trifecta of tardation.

It’s all so tiresome.

Please REACH OUT and tell us your favs!

View Quote

Do you forget the old AT&T commercials?

Reach out, reach out, and touch someone

AT&T Reach Out and Touch Someone Commercial - 1987
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not sure where it came from originally, but it sure sounds like touch base = balls deep.
View Quote

Perhaps you've heard of a sport called "baseball?"

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Mission Statement (Official 4K Video)
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If only everyone's level of bullshit was so low.

Obviously "reach out" sounds a bit more polite than "just fucking ask"
View Quote

But no more polite than, "ask", "request", or any number of other normal words.

"Fucking reach out" isn't polite either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Let’s table that and circle back later
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#24]
"Circle back", "on load" and "off load" are currently being overused at work. "Synergy" about 10+ years ago was the Nickleback of corporate speak but is hardly ever used today.

About 5 years ago, anything to do with "Six Sigma" was also all the babble and everybody getting certified in that nonsense. Hear nothing of it today.

About every 3-4 years when we get a new CEO, whatever his buzzwords are will start making the rounds.

Uptick also in people put their "preferred pronouns" in their email signature. Shows who is the tards at work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#25]
"By close of business today" on an e-mail sent out at 8pm
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#26]
What is your ask?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Is this thread SOP for this kind of topic?

I'm going into a zoom meeting soon and should have a bunch of these when it's finished
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Deliverables
Team Building
Synergy

Those were always my eye rollers
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don’t.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t.

I hear both of those lines pretty often, both in email and spoken. They don’t particularly bother me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#30]
INCLUSIVE

Are we "inclusive" to customers if they don't have any money?
No?

Then STFU with this "inclusive" bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Opportunity - code word for we really suck at this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"Circle back", "on load" and "off load" are currently being overused at work. "Synergy" about 10+ years ago was the Nickleback of corporate speak but is hardly ever used today.

About 5 years ago, anything to do with "Six Sigma" was also all the babble and everybody getting certified in that nonsense. Hear nothing of it today.

About every 3-4 years when we get a new CEO, whatever his buzzwords are will start making the rounds.

Uptick also in people put their "preferred pronouns" in their email signature. Shows who is the tards at work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is accurate. Circle back, and level set are the annoying ones now. I dont necessarily care about their overuse in the office vocabulary though. I just find that when managers or directors say 'let's circle back to that later' it really means discussion on this point is over and will never be talked about again. I guess I would rather they just say what they mean, then mask shooting down ideas with a turn of phrase.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What do you propose we substitute “Reach Out” with?
Contact, get with, communicate with, inform, collaborate , etc?

Worked with a guy who always referred to calling someone on the phone as ‘giving a buzz’.   Yes, the guy was old enough to probably remember calling an operator to connect him to a phone number.
View Quote

Millennial at work constantly using “tie off” instead of the above
It’s become like nails on a blackboard
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I forget some of my favorites, as it's been quite a few years since I've experienced these things. When I worked for a large company that did enormous meetings, I made 'Corporate Buzzword Bingo' cards for myself and a few of my friendly coworkers. We also played other games, like making wagers on the over/under for instances of our favorite (or least favorite) buzzwords buzzphrases.

My current field has its share of lingo and acronyms/initialisms, but we don't have the same sorts of meetings, so it doesn't allow for the same kind of mocking.  

Temba, his arms wide.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Close the loop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don’t.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t.

Yep. It’s very common in my world.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Mine is not a Tarted Corporate Email expression but Tarded Corporate processes.

Every month the Budget Monkeys would send out an authoritarian email requiring explanations for budget variations greater than 5%. I had a stock answer that I copied and pasted to every variance; “the budget assumptions, as approved in the annual budget process, failed to materialize.”  They never followed up or called me on the carpet about my response. The other managers would fret and spend a lot of energy responding.  I would spend like 5 minutes on my response.

When it was the TQM fad of having the word “Services” in every department name, I was on the name changing committee. I was successful in slipping the in the name change for Human Resources to Personal Management Services, following the trend for Information Technology Services, Building Services, Accounting System Services, and so on. In typical fashion of corporate culture there is always someone who takes credit for someone else’s work efforts or ideas. This time I let them do it and even encouraged it. It made it all the way up the food chain to the 1st Vice President before she pointed out that having departments with the initials of PMS, ITS, BS, and ASS was not the image she was wanting to portray even though there was some truth to the name changes.

My saving grace was the 1stVP had the same sense of humor that I had.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#40]
connect the dots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Unexpected headwinds.

Bitch, you didn't plan properly.
View Quote

Hate this one.  Poor excuse for poor management.  There was probably an engineer or tech screaming about the problem for the last 12 months you ignored.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Stake holders
View Quote

Everyday I hear this and I get trapped in a repetitive thought of me holding a 16oz med rare juicy Ribeye, I snap out of and think what the in the hell are we even talking about here. I just nod and say, yes, yes and toss in an “exactly”. I close it out with a, thank you, that was on point.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I can't stand...."Kick it around"
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm getting zoom call PTSD just reading this thread.

One of my absolute favorites is "get in a knife fight" used by 20 something females/soy boys that haven't been in a physical altercation in their lives.

Mindy or Cody saying something like "We don't want to get into a knife fight with them over this..." would be an example.

Cringe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Wheelhouse

and, "Cycles" as in "I don't have the cycles to deal with this." "Time"...
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can't stand...."Kick it around"
View Quote

In sales - "lookie Lou's"

Sales funnel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Value proposition
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I worked for a company with some British offices. Americans constantly using British slang really started to annoy me.
View Quote

Bugger off you bloody wanker
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top