User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's for riders that can't drop a knee.
View Quote

Lol. Had one. Took it to Summit Point. I brushed knees and footpegs. Ran into a woman that weighed nothing that did the same and was a much better rider. Busas are more than capable of being tracked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ugly fucking piece of ghetto shit.
View Quote
That one certainly is.

I enjoy a non-pimped hayabusa though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Extended swingarm on a "cafe racer"? That term must not mean what is used to.

Longer swingarms are pointless on anything other than a dedicated drag bike. A lot of engineering goes into the OEM wheelbase.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I understand your point but I disagree.

Had an '84 Honda Nighthawk 450T I turned into a cafe racer.
Drop bars, bikini fairing, new tank and saddle. Also punched the 450 out to over 500.

And yes, we lengthened the swing arm. It was re-geared for a 0-60 focus. Stoplight to stoplight cruising.
Topped out at about 95, but torquey as hell. Would stand up if you weren't paying attention.

Longer swing arms are fashionable now, but they have a place on powerful bikes like Hayabusa's. Which are beasts.
Liter+ sport bikes are more than most anyone needs.
Coming from a previous Katana 1100 owner.

Extended swingarm on a "cafe racer"? That term must not mean what is used to.

Longer swingarms are pointless on anything other than a dedicated drag bike. A lot of engineering goes into the OEM wheelbase.
Also "would stand up if you weren't paying attention" makes wonder about the effectiveness of the extendo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also "would stand up if you weren't paying attention" makes wonder about the effectiveness of the extendo.
View Quote

On an '84 450 Nighthawk, no less. Geared and bored or not, I can't see that thing being hard to tame.

Buddy had a 700s, took a lot of clutch to get the front of that thing in the air.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have owned over 20 motorcycles, everything from a Honda Grom to a CBR1000rr, so I might have just a little basis for my statements.  And I actually put miles on, my 954 had over 30,000 miles when sold, the rest use to get similar miles put on.  After all those bikes, a KLR650 and the Gen 2 Busa will be staying.  Both have upgraded suspension and brakes.  Both are not the fastest or the quickest, I really don't care, because they are the bikes that make me smile every time I get on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, ridden 3 of them. I am a high time superbike pilot with 17 bikes, mostly superbikes, under my belt. Doing “an awful lot right” and “pulls from as low as 2500rpm” are relative observations on your part. There are better touring bikes, better sport touring bikes, and definitely better sport bikes. Anymore, about all the Busa has to offer is that is relatively easy to ride and stable for the job it was designed to do, which is to fast in a straight line. Even in 2005 my GSXR1000 (still have it btw) was faster than a stock Busa, I’d hate to think how bad a Busa would get shellacked by my R1M in a straight line and rectally violated by my wife’s Street Triple 765 RS in anything that looks like a corner and I’d take that bike;s comfort and drivability over the Busa’s any day.

When it came out in 1998, the the first gen Busa was really something. It was 30hp or so up on my then new R1 and after 3rd or 4th at about 140mph the Busa would just walk away like it was easy. 1998 was a loooong time ago, and a lot changes in 25 years. Busas sell on reputation-they aren’t horrible bikes when stock, but other bikes just do it better.

My Dad and I both had ZX-11’s when they were hot shit in the early-mid 90’s, that was dad’s last bike and he’s blissfully convinced that nothing is as good or fast as that bike was. I remember a heavy behemoth of a bike that suffered horrible compression damping, had mediocre brakes and an engine that was only happy when you were beating the dog out of it. It’s all relative to what you know and what kind of experience you have and are looking forward to. My wife and I both do 700+ mile days on rides with our sport touring club. I can ride a superbike hard enough to flex the frame, a Busa is the wrong bike for sport touring unless you like wrestling with a 600lb bike and being tired when you get to the hotel, and the leg room and reach to the bars is fine for around town but I’d wish I was on something else 2 hours into a ride at a moderate pace.

Again, it’s all relative. ARFCOM at large has never ridden a Busa and would probably need therapy after a 3rd gear pull to redline on one but to people that know bikes and have ridden them, they are a rebadged quarter century old bike that never got the real refresh and updates the bike deserved over the decades.

I have owned over 20 motorcycles, everything from a Honda Grom to a CBR1000rr, so I might have just a little basis for my statements.  And I actually put miles on, my 954 had over 30,000 miles when sold, the rest use to get similar miles put on.  After all those bikes, a KLR650 and the Gen 2 Busa will be staying.  Both have upgraded suspension and brakes.  Both are not the fastest or the quickest, I really don't care, because they are the bikes that make me smile every time I get on them.

I hear you.  I've loved every mile weaving through these mountains on my Gen 2.  It's a blast scrambling up through the hills and running river roads.  I understand that all bikes have trade offs, that is why I have so many. Like guns, some days it is the .22 and some days the 06 comes out.  The Busa gives me perma grin.

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Extended swingarms are stupid on the street.  I'd prefer a Hayabusa, or even better a ZX-14R (because Kawasaki), for zipping around the countryside.  Lots of pull in the mid-range makes for fun brisk riding.  More size and room than liter bikes.  Add a taller windscreen, bar risers, and some soft bags, and actually go somewhere.
View Quote

This.  IMHO those bikes are far more enjoyable and practical than the typical sport bike that has to be revved to 4k just to get moving and will have your ass, knees and wrists screaming for mercy if ridden for more than an hour.

Here's a very old, but very entertaining video showing what these bikes are capable of in the hands of some really skilled and really crazy riders:
https://youtu.be/D_soG7fY-kc

Skip to the 37 minute mark to see them discover drifting on two wheels with the Hyabusa
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.  IMHO those bikes are far more enjoyable and practical than the typical sport bike that has to be revved to 4k just to get moving and will have your ass, knees and wrists screaming for mercy if ridden for more than an hour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Extended swingarms are stupid on the street.  I'd prefer a Hayabusa, or even better a ZX-14R (because Kawasaki), for zipping around the countryside.  Lots of pull in the mid-range makes for fun brisk riding.  More size and room than liter bikes.  Add a taller windscreen, bar risers, and some soft bags, and actually go somewhere.

but muh 250 turns on a dime
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]

IBTTOS In Before The Tree Of Shame.

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lol. Had one. Took it to Summit Point. I brushed knees and footpegs. Ran into a woman that weighed nothing that did the same and was a much better rider. Busas are more than capable of being tracked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's for riders that can't drop a knee.

I ran the Dragon on my Roadstar and ground the bottom of the Floorboards off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I could donate some decor
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Hayabusa on Tail of the Dragon.  Sounds healthy.  Good run, no traffic.  Change setting to 4k.

Hayabusa Gen 3 2022/2021 at the dragon Deals gap /Tight twisty

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hayabusa on Tail of the Dragon.  Sounds healthy.  Good run, no traffic.  Change setting to 4k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2zx4_wk3Os
View Quote

Come on spring
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is a popular model and configuration for the South Side hood rats around here.

They don't go to the drag strip, though. The extended swingarm is just a style thing.

It's funny watching them doing simple turns at an intersection with their hyper-extended wheelbase. They go really slow and paddle with their feet.
View Quote

Yup.  I've seen plenty of them rolling around chiraq.  God awful fast though.  Add a turbo and pray you can hold on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I kinda want one. Stock, though.
And a fuel injected goldwing
Eventually I'll upgrade my dirtbike, but I think I might be happy with what I've got after that.
Well....maybe upgrade the intruder some day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#18]
But that bike is actually cool.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I bet that read seat has gonorrhea.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Goes back to what I said about perspective and expectations-I had a KLR650 too and was glad to get rid of it. The only thing it was good at was being cheap to buy…. Very mediocre to ride.

My Grom is staying though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Goes back to what I said about perspective and expectations-I had a KLR650 too and was glad to get rid of it. The only thing it was good at was being cheap to buy…. Very mediocre to ride.

My Grom is staying though.
View Quote

I'll never own another Grom, great toy if you are 100% in town, but useless around here.

FYI, emulators, the correct rate springs, fork brace, and a big brake kit make the KLR a different bike.  Good thing there is more than one make and model of bike available.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Who cares? What kind of Karen gets that triggered?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know a thing about bikes but this was parked outside the gym today.  Probably one of the longest bikes I've seen.  Just thought I would share.  Is this a good one?  Assume fast & expensive.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25002/Bike_JPG-2674668.JPG
View Quote

midcap thread?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

it also falls under a touring bike for insurance ,  not a sports bike.
View Quote

Not to doubt you, but I doubt that.

I had (2) Bandit 1200s and always thought a Busa would be the perfect next bike..then I discovered the CBR-1000RR. These days eyeing a new or newer, Concours 14.

The bike in the OP I would take in a second and put a stock swingarm on it and handlebar risers... problem solved.

I read a review of GP racers taking the last gen Busa out to track for lols. They were knee down, wringing the bike the whole time and loved it for a stock bike. So if you know how to ride, you can whip into submission in the backroads.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I had (2) Bandit 1200s and always thought a Busa would be the perfect next bike..then I discovered the CBR-1000RR. These days eyeing a new or newer, Concours 14.

The bike in the OP I would take in a second and put a stock swingarm on it and handlebar risers... problem solved.

I read a review of GP racers taking the last gen Busa out to track for lols. They were knee down, wringing the bike the whole time and loved it for a stock bike. So if you know how to ride, you can whip into submission in the backroads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it also falls under a touring bike for insurance ,  not a sports bike.

I do know that they are cheaper to insure with a lot of companies just like your Bandits. The squids that jack up all our rates buy 600's and 1000's more often than the big boys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'll never own another Grom, great toy if you are 100% in town, but useless around here.

FYI, emulators, the correct rate springs, fork brace, and a big brake kit make the KLR a different bike.  Good thing there is more than one make and model of bike available.
View Quote

That’s all I use my Grom for-I live in a lake community so summer runs for ice cream and just bombing around town it’s great for. When I’m too old to swing a leg over my big bikes I’ll still be able to enjoy the Grom. That or some parking lot hero will want to relive his youth in 20 years and offers me a shitload of money for it…

I thought about putting money into  the KLR but then I would have had as much into it fixing the front end, seat, and wind buffeting as a would have in a V-strom or Versys… it was just too big an ask with a garage full of bikes and a best friend that didn’t have a bike at all…. So I gave it to him. He’ll be happy with some beeeze in his face, which is perfect for that bike.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll just leave this here...

We Built The Worlds Fastest Snow Bike!

Literally every modification has been done to these bikes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ugly fucking piece of ghetto shit.
View Quote

This about sums it up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I was primarily a track guy, but on the street a busa is absolutely understressed and will handle every corner just fine. You can stretch out a bit and two up is good too.

I had faster bikes, I had more nimble bikes, IMO the hayabusa does everything well. FWIW everyone that told me busa can't corner ended up behind me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Not my style, but from the factory they are a pretty amazing machine. I never liked the shape of the bodywork though. There's plenty of beautiful 1000cc bikes that absolutely rip.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top