BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's pretty amazing how far they have fallen from the mid 00's. Turns out telling your core fans you don't want them was a mistake. Who could have seen that coming?
View Quote

I went from finding it hard to care to hating them actively about ten years ago, when the organization (France Family?) learned that a track was going to let Bubba Watson and the very first Dukes of Hazzard General Lee take a parade lap and banned it from the track. It reminded me of how totalitarian the whole thing was, while pointing out that those particular totalitarians hate American culture.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Rally racing is more fun.

Real cars

Real roads

Real fast
View Quote

The thing I don't get, as far as I'm aware NASCAR got started by a bunch of moonshiners trying to see who had the faster car to outrun the cops, and to me, taking a hot rod and going full send down a backroad to see who can get the fastest time seems like what would have come out of it, not drive around in a circle really fast.

I mean...one of these things is not like the other
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess the race is over.........They used to go the kind of back way past my house to hit 127 N and they would line up past my house after the race to get on it. Doesn't look any different then any other Sunday night at 8:30 from the traffic going by.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
NASCAR died with the old man, in Daytona.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to work at the Atlanta Motor Speedway race week. Sundays could be a 6 hour ride home. 6 miles away. Now. It would be a very minor inconvenience. The DOT did some major improvements to help but 20 years too late.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Id rather watch Rally, Goodwood, Lemans than that bullshit.

Not to mention the France family lick Democrat assholes.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been to a bunch of lower tier races at T.M.S. They are boring as all get out. For the first 10 laps, the cars that don’t run go to the pits. For the next 20 laps, the guys that can’t drive crash and go to the pits. For rest of the race nothing happens. On the 2nd to last lap, the guy in second will try to make a move. On the white flag lap the leader will shut him down and take the checker. I think NASCAR should have to race production based cars. If the factory doesn’t make and sell a V8 RWD car to the public, you can’t race one. And your sheet metal better match up with current offerings. They should also ditch all the rules changes made in the last 25 years. I want cars racing fast from beginning to end not putzing around like an F.I.M. World Enduro.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]

They've had them for quite some time, but it hasn't been flaunted in the mainstream rodeos like it has in other sports events.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but paying 60 bucks to sit in the sun all day has lost its appeal. I'd rather race my kart for 80 bucks or go on a full-size road circuit for $200. And I know the days of "stock" cars is over but there needs to be some connection to the cars people drive. My take is that you have to run full factory sheet metal without modification. That would be fun. Maybe make them run stock engine blocks also. I would be a LOT more interested if they did that.
View Quote

Make them buy a car off the assembly line, yank interior, put in a cage and fuel cell.  Run on stock size DOT tires.  Entrees have to parade through town to the track - if they don't make, they D.Q.  Fuel is 91 octane pump gas which the drivers have to get out and put in form a normal gas pump.  Tires have to be changed by the driver with the jack and tools that came with the car.  Oh and Grand Prix starts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Make them buy a car off the assembly line, yank interior, put in a cage and fuel cell.  Run on stock size DOT tires.  Entrees have to parade through town to the track - if they don't make, they D.Q.  Fuel is 91 octane pump gas which the drivers have to get out and put in form a normal gas pump.  Tires have to be changed by the driver with the jack and tools that came with the car.  Oh and Grand Prix starts.
View Quote

The stands would have about 25 people and the TV contract went bye-bye.
It MIGHT work at your hometown dirt track but not on a national scale.
NASCAR has its problems but that ain't the answer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When Dale Earnhart died, I realized I was a fan of him, not Nascar, and moved on. His soy boy son just wasn't the same.
View Quote

In my NASCAR days, I was solid Ford guy but I’ll never forget Dale cutting donuts in Daytona after his win and our normal NASCAR tv party losing their shit.  Lucky the cops weren’t called because of our celebration.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the "muh stock car" guys.
Want to know how I know they don't watch motorsports?
Something close to that type of racing exists. It's not occupying the NFLs timeslot in the summer.
It's been NAtional Spec CAR for a very long time now.
When I started watching regularly the only thing stock was the Hood, Roof, and Deck lid. And the sport was growing in popularity.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The thing I don't get, as far as I'm aware NASCAR got started by a bunch of moonshiners trying to see who had the faster car to outrun the cops, and to me, taking a hot rod and going full send down a backroad to see who can get the fastest time seems like what would have come out of it, not drive around in a circle really fast.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375793/384767_jpg-2481017.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375793/duke-boys-go-car-shopping-in-an-autotrad-2481018.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375793/9388026-nascar-daytona-500_jpeg-2481020.JPG
View Quote

I don't know the answer to that question, but it wouldn't surprise me ifSlapshoes had a video on it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm wondering when the first tranny driver will surface
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Many events are well attended this year, but not enough and the tracks need to do more.

Yeah, seating capacity is way down.

Times have changed in 20 years and the track experience has not kept up.

Who wants to be isolated for 6 hours on a Sunday?  Because that’s exactly what happens at the track.  There is no WiFi and cell coverage is jammed to nothing.

Prices are insane at some tracks too.

I blame the tracks more than the product on track.  Much of the racing has been outstanding.  Oddly, the new car has messed up the short tracks.

Stage racing isn’t my favorite.  I bet TV likes it and we won’t see it go away.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’ve been to a bunch of lower tier races at T.M.S. They are boring as all get out. For the first 10 laps, the cars that don’t run go to the pits. For the next 20 laps, the guys that can’t drive crash and go to the pits. For rest of the race nothing happens. On the 2nd to last lap, the guy in second will try to make a move. On the white flag lap the leader will shut him down and take the checker. I think NASCAR should have to race production based cars. If the factory doesn’t make and sell a V8 RWD car to the public, you can’t race one. And your sheet metal better match up with current offerings. They should also ditch all the rules changes made in the last 25 years. I want cars racing fast from beginning to end not putzing around like an F.I.M. World Enduro.
View Quote

...yes another gripe.  Stock car to me is not tube chassis and fake front ends.  It’s pop glass out, remove headlights, weld in a roll cage, etc.   Rear wheel two door V8 cars are hardly made these days so I’d be game if you got to race whatever the manufacturer builds.....fwd V6....have at it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I gave up on it as a real competition when they told Cale Yarborough he couldn't drive the Laguna S3 anymore because he was winning too many races.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#18]
My interpretation, The "Frances" ruined it completely.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Left turn circle jerk racing sucks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
NASCAR has a big hold in Western KY. We are really only 2nd to the Charlotte area in terms of ties to the sport.  I grew up with the sport and revolved my Sundays around the sport as did 99% of my family.

When Jimmy Johnson won yet another season with nothing more then being a decent driver with a great team, I said screw it im done.  Not true sport any longer.

When the Dale’s, Cale’s and Harry’s were replaced with all these soft-assed kids I said forget it............
View Quote

I don't care for Nascar anymore, watched it from mid nineties to 04ish.  I think Jimmy Johnson was a little better than a decent driver, lol.  Yes he had a solid team and crew chief.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Haven't been to a Nascar race in 17 years. Went to my local dirt track last night to watch real sprint cars and had a great time.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504555/FB_IMG_1659813372339-2479431.jpg
View Quote

I much prefer dirt track to Nascar.
Big Block Modifieds this Thursday night 15k to win..
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#22]
THIS.
Local tracks are still allot of fun with great racing!
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NASCAR ruined the racing.  SPEC cars, periods, mandatory cautions and every race other than the road courses the drivers just crash out the field over and over again to win.  

The last lap crash fests are the biggest culprit.  I want to see clean racing and don't care if everyone has the same car with different stickers.  There is NO innovation allowed by the teams because everything is so governed.  

Basically it has turned into communist racing.  Everyone is equal no matter what vs earning the top spot.  This is what they get for turning the racing into bullshit.  

Bring back cars shaped by the car makers that must mirror cars they make.  Years ago, the fast back Monte Carlo was a direct result of the need to be more aero on the track.  The notched rear window was slowing them down.  That kinda thing makes racing interesting for the fans.  Commie Racing doesn't work as we can all see.

Indy cars are way more fun to watch because they don't want to wreck or touch.  They end their races, racing.  Indy isn't woke either.
View Quote

There is an Aerocoup coming up soon on Carpart - engine fire, I think.  If I had the scratch I would so buy it and LS-swap it.

NASCAR had to change courtesy of the 1st gen aero cars like the Dodge Daytona and Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II.  Hemi and Cobrajet engines were capable of pushing the slick bodies to 200MPH, and the insurance companies balked at the idea of a two-ton car at 200 MPH tumbling through the stands.  This usured in the restrictor plates, catch fences, and other changes to slow the cars down.  This it got more and more regulated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#24]
NASCAR died February 18 2001
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nascar died with Dale.
View Quote

I agree

lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Karting is more entertaining.
View Quote

Short (dirt) Track racing is more entertaining and has more heart.  

I've lived within a 15 minute drive to one of the premiere Nascar tracks in the country for four decades....Talladega. back in the 80s, i decided to check it out. Did one time trial, then one race. Have never been back.

Had way more fun attending the local short track races. Rednecks trying their best to play hardball has more heart.

Prior to the 2008 recession, "go home" traffic has really declined. I used to see an almost solid train of campers on my way east to work on the following Mondays. The recession really killed a lot of attendance then. It never fully recovered. I'm guessing the woke shit has throttled it more.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#27]
This whole thread is why Tony Stewart started the SRX series.

If they don't go woke they will probably lose their media coverage.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they don't slow down on destroying cars the series will go away and Tony has told them that in drivers' meetings.
It is neat seeing some of these old "retired" drivers winning races again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I’m wondering when the first tranny driver will surface
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live pretty close to MIS and except for a bit more traffic, you can't hardly even tell it's race weekend. Brooklyn, pretty much the same for every nice weather weekend traffic wise. Driving the roads, same way. Sure it'll be busy for a couple hours before and after Sundays race but it used to be an absolute zoo the entire weekend locally. I'd leave the area completely or just spend it at home. I've lived in the vicinity since 1994 and the drop off has been absolutely staggering. Dropped multiple [between NASCAR and open wheel] races and even with the one race now, even that didn't seem to do much at all to raise number.

This is what woke gets you. It's amazing that the tards that run ASSCAR can't figure that out.

Faster Horses brought in way more people and money locally. Hell, I didn't even see one T shirt vendor in town selling nascar shit.

I’m wondering when the first tranny driver will surface

Already been done. Jeff Gordon
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If they don't slow down on destroying cars the series will go away and Tony has told them that in drivers' meetings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you in Gunmaster with your SRX T-shirt on?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think NASCAR should have to race production based cars. If the factory doesn’t make and sell a V8 RWD car to the public, you can’t race one. And your sheet metal better match up with current offerings. They should also ditch all the rules changes made in the last 25 years. I want cars racing fast from beginning to end not putzing around like an F.I.M. World Enduro.
View Quote

This.  Start with a production car.  Weigh it.  Determine cetner of gravity.  You are going to race at that weight or more, and at that center of gravity, or higher.  Remove radio, A/C, interior, fuel tank.  Install fuel cell, cage, racing seat, comms.  You will be running DOT approved tires in the size that came on the car.  You will run the stock engine, stock exhaust, stock everything.  You will be fueld on pump gas.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:UN

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375793/duke-boys-go-car-shopping-in-an-autotrad-2481018.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375793/9388026-nascar-daytona-500_jpeg-2481020.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:UN
Quoted:
Rally racing is more fun.

Real cars

Real roads

Real fast

I'm not a huge fan of racing comparison. Drag, Open wheel, Prod/Sports/Stock, Rallying - each has its charms. Drags by far my least favorite but I grew up with kids whose families who had serious efforts and respect the endeavor. Obviously Rally Raid where my heart is but certainly there are headwinds and poor choices - I'm a fair critic.

But NASCAR seems a great deal more self destructive - little but themselves to blame. Seems much has been done that alienates and the churning is just unwise. Used to spend a good bit of time with NASCAR. Very little interest now. But yea driving around a circle fast isnt as easy as it appears - least not easy to do it at the levels winning NASCAR requires.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Poor shots (not my strong point) but gives an idea of scale I doubt they'll see again.

As a race fan I like what Tony's doing

Attachment Attached File

ETA - Car jumping is awful pass  
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#33]
If it wasn't for Arfcom I wouldn't even know nascar still existed lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are wrong, and it did work.  You used to be able to buy a car and go racing.  This one did.

That car came in fourth at Darlington.  From the dealership floor to competitive racing.  That is the kind of racing that GOT the first TV contracts.

When the "stock" cars lost their connection to actually stock cars, that damaged the connection the fans had with the race cars, and thus the whole series.

Clearly what the France family is doing isn't working.  Pro tip - when you are removing seats form your venues, instead of adding them, you are on the WRONG PATH!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I knew nothing of NASCAR until I moved to Kentucky 3 years ago. We got to go to a couple races here at Kentucky Speedway, but NASCAR pulled those races.

I will say that GOING to a race was fun, and my Son certainly enjoyed it as well. With that said, I don't watch it on TV and wouldn't drive to another state to watch a race....so I'm not the target audience.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I disagree with all the grumpy cat "good" replies.

The loss of whole industries is damn sad and shouldn't be celebrated.

NFL, NBA, Nascar, women's collegiate sports, Boy Scouts, etc. I can't say I've ever followed the NBA or women's sports, but I still find no joy in their demise.

I don't follow Nascar, but I've been to Daytona a couple times and had an awesome time. Whether you like it or not, there is no denying its a spectacle.

I wasn't an NFL junky, but enjoyed playing fantasy football for decades before it went to shit. It was a reason to be around friends, enjoying rivalries, keeping in better touch with distant friends. I had Tampa season tickets since the 80s. I really enjoyed wading though fellow fans, whom all had a common interest....even if that interest wasn't particularly impactful in "real life". Tampa was a shit team for most of those years, but I still enjoyed the experience.

I'm a 3rd generation eagle boy scout. Its fucking shameful what the organization has become, but I'm not happy with the result. I'm saddened that my son won't have the same experiences I had. We have a ranch. I can teach field craft and most of the things that were taught to me in scouts, but it simply isn't the same. The relationships, growth, varying mentors, leadership...all very important.

Whatever the "sportsball", events were venues where people of all types could convene and enjoy something as a community. Every time we turn around, something that historically has brought Americans together is dying. So sure, we can say they deserved it, but it sucks nonetheless.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Were you in Gunmaster with your SRX T-shirt on?
View Quote

Wasn't me. I stopped buying those t-shirts about 20 years ago.

This one is the only one I still own.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Nascar has gone beyond removing seats to losing racecars. They set a new maximum field of 40 and have only had 40 cars at one race this season. That was Daytona. Most are down to 36 cars. The old limit was 43 and usually 45 to 50 cars showed up to try to make the race. Alienating the long time fan base in an effort to get new fans has been a failure. Kids who have a 45 second attention span on TikTok are not going to watch a 3 hour race.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nascar has gone beyond removing seats to losing racecars. They set a new maximum field of 40 and have only had 40 cars at one race this season. That was Daytona. Most are down to 36 cars. The old limit was 43 and usually 45 to 50 cars showed up to try to make the race. Alienating the long time fan base in an effort to get new fans has been a failure. Kids who have a 45 second attention span on TikTok are not going to watch a 3 hour race.
View Quote

This is why baseball is in a bit of trouble also.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Come on down to Wilkesboro
View Quote

Be there Thursday afternoon
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’ve never been a NASCAR fan but it is (was) a definite American institution with a lot of tradition and cultural impact.  Real Americana.  
Everyone saying “good” is missing the point that the woke agenda has destroyed another facet of real America.  
This wasn’t an accident.  The NASCAR leadership isn’t out of touch with their base.  They know exactly what they’re doing and it worked.  Same as Boy Scouts of America and many other traditional American institutions.  
“Get woke go broke” is their goal.
View Quote

Exactly correct. I honestly never gave two shits about Nascar, even though my family was drenched in the white whiskey culture that spawned it. A lot of folks did love it though. The Left designed it's destruction.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#43]
NFL and NASCAR are circling the drain to see who hits the sewer first. Fuck the woke, leftist pandering pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#44]
You sure this is a case of "get woke, go broke" and not a simple matter of white trash Boomers dying?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.  Start with a production car.  Weigh it.  Determine cetner of gravity.  You are going to race at that weight or more, and at that center of gravity, or higher.  Remove radio, A/C, interior, fuel tank.  Install fuel cell, cage, racing seat, comms.  You will be running DOT approved tires in the size that came on the car.  You will run the stock engine, stock exhaust, stock everything.  You will be fueld on pump gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think NASCAR should have to race production based cars. If the factory doesn’t make and sell a V8 RWD car to the public, you can’t race one. And your sheet metal better match up with current offerings. They should also ditch all the rules changes made in the last 25 years. I want cars racing fast from beginning to end not putzing around like an F.I.M. World Enduro.

No.

Start with nothing. Teams build whatever they want out of whatever they want. The resulting vehicles go around the track as fast as they can, and whoever finishes first wins. Everybody signs waivers and accepts the risks, including the fans.

Multiple series including regular road tracks, dirt tracks, and mixed rallycross style tracks. Maybe sometimes water to see who can build the fastest amphibious track cars

Somebody keeps winning? Boohoo you suck. Git gud or keep losing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#46]
They should do Isle of Man with cars too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The car destruction is because they are so safe. Drivers have nothing to fear and no worry about the costs. So, they just wreck each other to win.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They should do Isle of Man with cars too.
View Quote

Autos raced there before motos. It was the Road Racing Mecca for a short period first of last century.

You'd prolly destroy buildings if you allowed it now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No.

Start with nothing. Teams build whatever they want out of whatever they want. The resulting vehicles go around the track as fast as they can, and whoever finishes first wins. Everybody signs waivers and accepts the risks, including the fans.

Multiple series including regular road tracks, dirt tracks, and mixed rallycross style tracks. Maybe sometimes water to see who can build the fastest amphibious track cars

View Quote

They do this already. When you buy a ticket it says on the back of it we are not responsible for accidents. Yet every time a NASCAR or Open wheel car gets into the fence and debris or cars go into the crowd, the sanctioning body and track are sued for millions and they pay. They have to keep the speed down with restrictor plates and narrow tires or redesign the tracks to put more space and more fences between the cars and the fans. The need for safety for the fans vs speed of the cars is a problem across all types of racing, in the US and Europe. Someone gets hurt, everybody wants to get paid.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No.

View Quote

Not the point of "Stock" car racing.  The point is racing largely stock cars.  Not fabricated race cars.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top