Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
We have a roundabout on Ft. Eustis. It sucks, because you are combining VA drivers with a roundabout. It is a two lane roundabout, with both lanes being enter and exit on the main road. The roads that feed into it from the sides are one lane enter and exit. I have had a few close calls when people who are in the inside lane change to the outside lane and exit the roundabout onto one of the side roads without signalling as I am entering the outside lane of the roundabout.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Our city spent a lot of money installing one of these things which I fucking hate because people are too dumb to yield.

So now they made it a 4-way stop, kind of defeats the purpose

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40454/IMG_0134-396857.JPG
View Quote
A fail on the part of local motorists and on the part of your street department for relenting and adding stop signs.
I'd say the street department wins the fail contest though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the only roundabout I've ever had trouble with.  The plaza surrounding the Arc Du Triomphe in Paris.  There are no lines on the road.  No lanes.  No orderly method of transiting the damn thing.  You fight your way in and then fight your way back out again.  Best left to professionals and scooter pilots.

Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Our city just put in two of them citing "safety." Within the last couple of months there have been more crashes there than in the last ~17 years we've been here.
That's includes dumb motherfuckers going through too fast, losing control and crashing through people's backyard fences.

Good thinking, Redding. Safety
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Down the street from work, 6 roundabouts in a row. I try to avoid that street.

Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Negative.  There were only two such traffic circles in the world, and one of them changed that when I brought it to their attention.
View Quote
The one in Troy, OH was an example of one where the people on the roundabout had to yield.  They changed that about a decade ago to those entering must yield.  Much better.

On topic - I like roundabouts, easy to use and keeps traffic flowing.  What I really hate with the ones here installed by ODOT is the crazy curves in the approach lanes (to make you slow down prior to entering the roundabout).  They're poorly designed and not large enough to accommodate farm equipment (the one at 235 and 41).
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The first time we drove into this roundabout I thought we were going to die.  Driving in Mexico is crazy but this is an extra heavy serving of crazy.
Mexico City

Now which way is straight here?
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The town I grew up in the added two roundabouts on either side of a bridge, I call it a dog bone, don't know the proper term.  But it makes things go much more smoothly than having a traffic signal on either side of the bridge.  Traffic would back up for nearly a half mile simply because of the lights.  Traffic still sucks there because of the nature of the intersection but it flows so much better now.  I like roundabouts personally.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Driving in Mexico is crazy but this is an extra heavy serving of crazy.
View Quote
Pfft, at least there are road markings and signs there.

Try driving around Acuña...
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="https://imgflip.com/i/21hr63"></a>https://i.imgflip.com/21hr63.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
View Quote
lol thanks for that, i am going to post it at their city facebook page - i may get a free hickory shampoo from the LEO tonight
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is the only roundabout I've ever had trouble with.  The plaza surrounding the Arc Du Triomphe in Paris.  There are no lines on the road.  No lanes.  No orderly method of transiting the damn thing.  You fight your way in and then fight your way back out again.  Best left to professionals and scooter pilots.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/13/a7/6213a77b8f7ba57e6749ee21a5ec8db0.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/Traffic_seen_from_top_of_Arc_de_Triomphe.JPG
View Quote
We parked our cars on the outskirts of town by the hotel and didn't even think of driving into the city center.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Most roundabouts in America are too small.
They also kink the approach lane to slow people down.

There's a three-way roundabout on the way to where I ride my dirtbikes.
When they opened it the speed limit was 35, on one lane you can take it at 60 if you wanted to with ease.
The lowered the speed limit to 20, when I bitched about it and demanded to see the engineering studies they raised it back up to 35.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to mention the city budget for one (here) is in the millions... just can't see how it could cost that. Maybe I am missing something.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]
They suck in ice and snow.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.
View Quote
If I were emperor, all 4 way intersections would be replaced with roundabouts. Traffic lights would be near non-existent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Roundabouts are fine, IF people use them properly.

The problem is, most people here don't understand or use them properly, and that's why you have problems.  (I think a lot of this stems from people not understanding the basics of a Yield sign)

I will say, that roundabouts make me nervous on my motorcycle.  I've seen too many instances of people just pulling out and not giving a shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol

What a waste of money building a roundabout.

They are becoming more common in my area
View Quote
And now it's a landscape and maintenance cash sinkhole too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I were emperor, all 4 way intersections would be replaced with roundabouts. Traffic lights would be near non-existent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.
Small roundabouts are horrible in high-traffic areas, but where they've put them around here (Grapevine/Southlake/Westlake) they work amazingly well. Very few people seem to have issues with them.

Some are utterly retarded. This is one I randomly went through in Florida, I didn't know WTF they wanted me to do

Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Hate them. Hate hate hate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not to mention the city budget for one (here) is in the millions... just can't see how it could cost that. Maybe I am missing something.
View Quote
DO you have any idea how hard it is to build a round road?
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#25]
LoL
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Small roundabouts are horrible in high-traffic areas, but where they've put them around here (Grapevine/Southlake/Westlake) they work amazingly well. Very few people seem to have issues with them.

Some are utterly retarded. This is one I randomly went through in Florida, I didn't know WTF they wanted me to do

https://www.yourobserver.com/sites/default/files/styles/sliders_and_planned_story_image_870x580/public/photo-0-22455-20121018111019.jpg?itok=EX_f1RFm
View Quote
why is that particular one confusing?
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I fucking hate the damn things. MI loves putting them in high traffic areas. That combined with the issue that many drivers have no idea how to use them compounds the issue further.

HATE
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.yourobserver.com/sites/default/files/styles/sliders_and_planned_story_image_870x580/public/photo-0-22455-20121018111019.jpg?itok=EX_f1RFm
View Quote
That is a pretty straightforward roundabout.

What confused you?  Inside lane to navigate all the to the third exit or way around, right lane to go straight through or to turn right.  Very simple and efficient.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Ah yes, the roundabout.  My first experience was in Western Australia.  I thought it was neat, but my Aussie GF said, "yeah, until the brickies and sparkies knock off for the arvo and coming hooning 'round, bloody hell...

Sure enough, beer-30 and for a good hour it was diesel Land Cruisers, Patrols, and Pajero's (and V8 Holden's) going round the round about, full throttle a time or two before exiting like that scene in Star Trek where they sling shot around the sun.  It was glorious.  Black smoke, like cooking chickens in the barnyard.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I hate roundabouts in general, but they make 3 wheel motion easier, lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unexpected, had never been in a 2-lane one at the time, markings and signage I'd never seen, couldn't tell it was a roundabout because of traffic, cars pointing every which way because they don't know either, etc.

I can't remember if they've changed it or not since I've been there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#33]
The stop sign is stupid but I love roundabouts.  Speeds traffic up considerably.  Yes the tards will have problems but eyes open, head on a swivel and you'll avoid them and get across town in half the time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As mentioned in my scenario above (not unlikely in snowy regions like MI and CO), even with the curvature, a newbie to these things coming up to a green light on one of these things may wonder why there's an odd jag in the lane, but instinct and habit say, "STAY ON THE RIGHT", for those who've never encountered one of these.

Someone who isn't aware of their existence wouldn't expect a road design/feature that deliberately directs them to drive on the 'wrong' side of a divider.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how someone could fuck up driving in a diverging diamond.

You follow the gentle curves and the huge arrows.
Haven't been through one yet, so I haven't seen what the signage looks like.

What I envision, is someone who's never been through one before, encountering one for the first time on a snowy winters night. The roads have a light layer of snow, so ther aren't any visible arrows or lines on the road.

They see a green light, and have a split second to wonder why there's an odd jag in the road, making it a PITA to stay on the right side they're used to staying in, but instinct tells them, "stay on the right side". Only to encounter oncoming traffic that entered the other side 'correctly'.
in the places that you cross over to the "wrong" side of the road, the curvature of the roadway "pre-points" you where you need to go, and there's always a traffic light at that point, so you're either driving under green lights or red lights. You'd really have to go out of your way to make the right turn into the wrong lane. (which is not to say that it doesn't happen)
As mentioned in my scenario above (not unlikely in snowy regions like MI and CO), even with the curvature, a newbie to these things coming up to a green light on one of these things may wonder why there's an odd jag in the lane, but instinct and habit say, "STAY ON THE RIGHT", for those who've never encountered one of these.

Someone who isn't aware of their existence wouldn't expect a road design/feature that deliberately directs them to drive on the 'wrong' side of a divider.
Watch the animation of how they're building the DDI in Olympia near the Cabela's.  It's hard to see how even in snow, a newbie would get on the wrong side of the road.  Within the realm of possible, but so is turning onto the wrong side of the road when making left turn in the snow.

Diverging Diamond Interchange comes to Washington State
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.

That's actually a rare (in the US, anyway) example of a well-designed one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.

Design is fine for a roundabout, but they put it on a major highway in the middle of one of the oldest populations in the country. When I went through, I had no idea WTF was going on because nobody else did either

Crash rates quadrupled when they put it in. Sure, that's all human factor, but that doesn't stop it from being the Serpa of intersections
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#38]
So build a giant, expensive "traffic calming device" then put up a $500 stop sign.

Sounds like a government project.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There's a new roundabout in San Antonio. First few months it was ok. Then the gardens they built at the entrance grew up and you can't see who is in the roundabout as you enter until you get real close. This isn't grass you can mow, either. It's like six foot high Esperanza bushes and Bird of Paradise.  Fuckin dumb.
View Quote
They likely did that on purpose to slow traffic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.
View Quote
I love 'em. As far as the stop sign in OPs post....WTF? Waste of money and ground. Should have put in a regular 4-way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#43]
If you're stuck with it, might as well have some fun with it...

Dukes of Hazzard Traffic Circle
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You've never lived life until you go full steam into a multilane roundabout in Kuwait. I bet I could have bent an AR barrel my butthole was clenched so tight.

That being said I've almost got into a couple wrecks in the US trying to drive a roundabout normally because people are fucking stupid.
View Quote
The multi lane roundabouts here are alway a hoot, nearest i can describe it are Ronin chase scenes and dirt track oval racing but with exits.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I love roundabouts, but then, I know how to drive.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#46]
You ain't seen roundabouts until you've seen Middle Eastern roundabouts.  Here's me doing check-rides with our replacements in southwest Asia.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtoD3h9menc[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So build a giant, expensive "traffic calming device" then put up a $500 stop sign.

Sounds like a government project.
View Quote
$500? Lol. it's customize wood signs, then the painted stop bars on the road, labor etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Roundabouts are safer and faster than intersections.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Hate these things. We were driving in a country 55 mph road the other night and in the middle of nowhere they had one of these. Absolutely no reason for it, but there it was. Have to keep the union road crew working somehow I guess.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hate these things. We were driving in a country 55 mph road the other night and in the middle of nowhere they had one of these. Absolutely no reason for it, but there it was. Have to keep the union road crew working somehow I guess.
View Quote
Country intersections are dangerous as hell. I had a stepbrother that died in one before I was born.

Hard to t bone someone at 60 MPH when you hit a roundabout.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top