BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hard to t bone someone at 60 MPH when you hit a roundabout.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
He's going way less than 60 mph when he lands on the other side of that central divider.  Crash wouldn't be as bad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He's going way less than 60 mph when he lands on the other side of that central divider.  Crash wouldn't be as bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Crazy Roundabout Jump captured on CCTV

Drink Driver With Toddler In Car Hits Roundabout In Peterborough

I can't find the one I'm actually looking for, but he was going somewhere near 90.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0Ky5TV4do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McGRv0FjBI8

I can't find the one I'm actually looking for, but he was going somewhere near 90.
View Quote
The center divider still slows them down.  I'm assuming you prefer to get t-boned at 90 mph with a square hit, rather than a glancing blow from a car going half the speed it entered the intersection with.

I get it, you hate roundabouts and are confused by them.  Despite your personal feelings, they are safer and allow traffic to flow much more smoothly than a 4 way stop or a signalized intersection.  Initially, people may be hesitant in them, but within a few weeks everyone (except for a few knuckleheads - who are poor drivers regardless of the situation) understands and can handle them very well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The center divider still slows them down.  I'm assuming you prefer to get t-boned at 90 mph with a square hit, rather than a glancing blow from a car going half the speed it entered the intersection with.

I get it, you hate roundabouts and are confused by them.  Despite your personal feelings, they are safer and allow traffic to flow much more smoothly than a 4 way stop or a signalized intersection.  Initially, people may be hesitant in them, but within a few weeks everyone (except for a few knuckleheads - who are poor drivers regardless of the situation) understands and can handle them very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0Ky5TV4do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McGRv0FjBI8

Wat? Roundabouts are the best thing that has happened around here for years
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
wait till you see a foreigner or an old fuck do a complete stop inside the active circle, or run not yielding and almost hits you broadside
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol

What a waste of money building a roundabout.

They are becoming more common in my area
wait till you see a foreigner or an old fuck do a complete stop inside the active circle, or run not yielding and almost hits you broadside
I was behind someone today approaching a roundabout.  There were no other cars within a quarter of a mile and this person stopped before entering the roundabout.  He would be wll suited for living in OP's neighborhood.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
When I first saw one in England I thought they worked pretty efficiently. Not sure what the English think about them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#8]
In my travels the other day i ran into a situation where there were stop signs o enter roundabout but yield signs for people in the roundabout.  I assume there is a bit of confusion for drivers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Negative.  There were only two such traffic circles in the world, and one of them changed that when I brought it to their attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize that in some non-English speaking countries those in the roundabout must yield to those entering.
Negative.  There were only two such traffic circles in the world, and one of them changed that when I brought it to their attention.
There are several such (yield-to-entering) traffic circles in New Jersey.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When I first saw one in England I thought they worked pretty efficiently. Not sure what the English think about them.
View Quote
They're replacing them with traffic lights

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/oct/19/traffic-lights-roundabouts-way-out
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I've posted this in another thread about roundabouts, but one thing that traffic planners don't seem to understand is that traffic needs to be balanced for them to work right.

For example, if there is a north-south road and an east-west road that intersect in a roundabout and the north-south road is a much busier street than the east-west road, people trying to enter the roundabout from the east-west road get completely railroaded by traffic from the busier road.  The traffic volume needs to be approximately equal from all directions for the system to work correctly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Around here as of late they are building them with two lanes, making passing much easier.

During the summer months it gets a little sporty with the tourists sometimes. A lot of people from out of state don't understand the concept, and they are typically given a wide berth so you don't get hit when they do something stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you pass in a roundabout?
yes, Plenty of times.
Around here as of late they are building them with two lanes, making passing much easier.

During the summer months it gets a little sporty with the tourists sometimes. A lot of people from out of state don't understand the concept, and they are typically given a wide berth so you don't get hit when they do something stupid.
I’ve been through the ones in NH during touristy season particularly in Keene area that has stoplights iirc.  DC was always fun not because the taxis didn’t know the rules, they just didn’t care, and the foreigners, tourist, drunk college kids, oblivious pedestrians made it the closest to Mad Max one can feel outside of driving in Asia
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Next up, we have the Diverging Diamond Interchange.  I've been in a few, and they are a bit freaky.  They're converting an interchange into one down in Olympia.  It will be exciting.
View Quote
I go through one nearly everyday. It seems to work pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those that don't know the ways of a roundabout are completely lost souls when they enter one, that's for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those that don't know the ways of a roundabout are completely lost souls when they enter one, that's for sure.
Apparently, a number of them live in his neighborhood.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#15]
The one about a mile from my house works just fine.  It was a four way stop previously.  Much higher throughput through the roundabout in the morning and around 5 pm than when it was a four way stop. It has really alleviated the traffic situation in the area.

People in Alabama can figure out a roundabout, surely they can wherever you live.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next up, we have the Diverging Diamond Interchange.  I've been in a few, and they are a bit freaky.  They're converting an interchange into one down in Olympia.  It will be exciting.
They just put a roundabout and a diverging diamond intersection on the same stretch of road here.  It was chaos.  Complete and total chaos for the first couple months.  Now, other than the elderly who don't understand them, traffic runs so much smoother.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
That's fucking awesome.  Around these parts the driver would have hit his horn that plays "Dixie" as soon as he caught air.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve been through the ones in NH during touristy season particularly in Keene area that has stoplights iirc.  DC was always fun not because the taxis didn’t know the rules, they just didn’t care, and the foreigners, tourist, drunk college kids, oblivious pedestrians made it the closest to Mad Max one can feel outside of driving in Asia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes, Plenty of times.

Miami is MUCH closer to 3rd world driving than DC is.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've posted this in another thread about roundabouts, but one thing that traffic planners don't seem to understand is that traffic needs to be balanced for them to work right.

For example, if there is a north-south road and an east-west road that intersect in a roundabout and the north-south road is a much busier street than the east-west road, people trying to enter the roundabout from the east-west road get completely railroaded by traffic from the busier road.  The traffic volume needs to be approximately equal from all directions for the system to work correctly.
View Quote
the traffic doesn't need to be balanced... the approaching vehicles need to be managed. Traffic engineers call the approach to the circle "flare."  If you make everyone divert from their straight path, they'll all hit the circle equally. And then there's "deflection." Deflection is the path through the circle relative to the approach.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#20]
They just put one in at a major interstate interchange here.  They have plans to put a double roundabout at another next spring.  Problem is, they don't teach proper usage of them here.  People blow the yield signs constantly, and get uber pissed if you honk at them.  The teenagers figured out they are the right diameter for drifting, though.

They put one next to my work 3 years ago.  First night it was open, a FedEx truck with triples took care of the landscaping in the center.  

I had to learn how to navigate them in WA State when I moved there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I love Roundabouts
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the traffic doesn't need to be balanced... the approaching vehicles need to be managed. Traffic engineers call the approach to the circle "flare."  If you make everyone divert from their straight path, they'll all hit the circle equally. And then there's "deflection." Deflection is the path through the circle relative to the approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's cute and all, but it does need to be relatively balanced.

If you have northbound and southbound traffic forming conga lines either direction, someone approaching from the east or west is completely screwed.  They either need to wait, pull out in front of someone, or someone might yield for them, which is also dangerous.  More often then not you end up waiting for someone that has no idea what they are doing to enter the circle and they enter very slowly or stop and you take that opportunity to go.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Single lane roundabouts ate the easiest thing ever, how can you fuck that up? I go through several double roundabouts often with nary a problem.
View Quote
People are idiots. That's how.

If people use them properly they work extremely well. The problem is, I would say 30% of the people here don't know how to use them. These are the same 30% that stop at a 4 way stop 5 seconds before you, and then sit there and look at you, confused.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Our little town put in 3 roundabouts. I love them, so much faster than a regular 4 or 5 way intersection. I wish they would put in more. I like not having to stop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Nothing wrong with roundabouts. The problem is the dumbasses using them that don't understand the concept.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I love roundabouts. Idiots can’t figure them out, but that’s with most things in life today.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOL.

This is where the drivers ed teacher took us when we were learning to drive back in the stone age.  Had an inner and outer lane. Sometimes you went around a few times before you could get from the inner to the outer to the road you wanted.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/422/Tallmadge_OH_downtown_aerial-396872.jpg
View Quote
@Waldo. I grew up there so roundabouts are no problem.  50 MPH is about the fastest that you can go depending on the car and real late at night you can even go the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i am there with you my Asian brother
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.
i am there with you my Asian brother
I love them on public roadways. Reduced our accidents to near Zero at intersections that were killing and injuring people. My city has no traffic lights at all.  Traffic flows very smooth. Agree they are stupid in neighborhoods and a stop sign defeats the purpose.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Just wait til someone in the neighborhood is moving.
A semi with a 54' trailer is going to be fun to watch going through over that roundabout.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I love them on public roadways. Reduced our accidents to near Zero at intersections that were killing and injuring people. My city has no traffic lights at all.  Traffic flows very smooth. Agree they are stupid in neighborhoods and a stop sign defeats the purpose.
View Quote
I know of some neighborhoods that do not have roundabouts or stopsigns.  

The development my buddy lives in (Hilliard, OH), has no stop signs at any intersections, except the ones leading out to the main roads.  I've never had a problem navigating there, either.  You just cautiously approach intersections and proceed if clear.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I try to take them at 40mph+ for entertainment.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
It may have happened once.

There were two lanes,  but it still felt like a prick move.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#34]
There are several small diameter ones around here.  A couple of them have tall ornamental grass planted in them so you cannot see shit across them.  Doesn't cause a problem unless someone is really hauling ass and pops into view nanoseconds after you commit to entering the circle.  I'll be hauling ass through the blind circles but I'll not demand the right of way if I surprise someone entering.

I like to see the tards I'm forced to share the road with as far in advance as possible.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They put one in in my rural area.  Big farm fields, big farm tractors, combines, planters and the like.

They built it and then found that farm equipment couldn't go around it.  The farmers just drive over it.

The thing was destroyed by the end of the first harvest season.
View Quote
I would sit there and cite them all
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#37]
European hippy nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Drivers in the US are too incompetent to use roundabouts.

If that weren't the case I'd replace every stop sign and small to medium intersection with one, roundabouts are superior in every way.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I know of some neighborhoods that do not have roundabouts or stopsigns.  

The development my buddy lives in (Hilliard, OH), has no stop signs at any intersections, except the ones leading out to the main roads.  I've never had a problem navigating there, either.  You just cautiously approach intersections and proceed if clear.
View Quote
I live in the Hilliard school district and my subdivision is the same way.  Those entering the road that runs through the middle from the sidestreets know to yield to existing traffic. I've been here over 20 years and I've never heard of an accident.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#40]
They have put tons of roundabouts in my area over the last 10 years.  Every place they have done it has resulted in a significant improvement in traffic.  Yes, we had some people do stupid stuff in them at first but everyone learned pretty quickly.

I can only presume that people who don't like them are idiots who don't know how to use them and refuse to learn.  It's the only rational explanation.

But yes, the example shown in the OP is a pure fail.  They should be yield signs if anything.  Whoever made that decision is stupid and should feel bad.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I live in the Hilliard school district and my subdivision is the same way.  Those entering the road that runs through the middle from the sidestreets know to yield to existing traffic. I've been here over 20 years and I've never heard of an accident.
View Quote
I can't remember when or in what publication I read it, but there has been studies that found that reducing or eliminating signage along the roadway actually reduces accidents.

People are less distracted by signage and, since there is nothing telling you what to do, people pay more attention to the roadway and where the lanes lead.

Exceptions, of course, include signage about exits on interstates, etc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I love roundabouts. The only problem is stupid drivers that don't understand the concept.  Funny how fast they learn when the LEOs start handing out tickets.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to t bone someone at 60 MPH when you hit a roundabout.
https://i.imgur.com/nYJKOQx.gif
i sooo want to post that on my city's facebook page...
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Go out next spring and plant some corn in it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've ridden on a bus through that.  That was more than enough for me.  
View Quote
Yes they eliminate the high speed T-bones.   Maybe more low speed T-bones, but you will walk away.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can't remember when or in what publication I read it, but there has been studies that found that reducing or eliminating signage along the roadway actually reduces accidents.

People are less distracted by signage and, since there is nothing telling you what to do, people pay more attention to the roadway and where the lanes lead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not placing center lane or shoulder markings on residential streets is a big one, it really slows people down.
But if you want to slow interstate traffic to a crawl, put an electronic billboard up with changing messages about road conditions. Around here, that instantly slows traffic by 20mph so dumb fuckers can slam on their brakes to read it as they pass underneath rather than reading it from a half mile away when it became visible. The words are two fucking feet tall, how can you not read them from the next hill?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#47]
There's a 2 lane one near me. Inside lane does the circle thing, outside lane swings off to different streets. It's a total cluster F.....
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes they eliminate the high speed T-bones. Maybe more low speed T-bones, but you will walk away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've ridden on a bus through that. That was more than enough for me.
Yes they eliminate the high speed T-bones. Maybe more low speed T-bones, but you will walk away.
iirc, accidents have increased at the traffic circles, but engineers cite it's fewer injuries
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
The way you fix that is take all the stupid lanes out of the roundabout. Drivers moving in the circle naturally cut the corner and move to the inside, allowing traffic to enter on the periphery.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They just put one in at a major interstate interchange here.  They have plans to put a double roundabout at another next spring.  Problem is, they don't teach proper usage of them here.  People blow the yield signs constantly, and get uber pissed if you honk at them.  The teenagers figured out they are the right diameter for drifting, though.

They put one next to my work 3 years ago.  First night it was open, a FedEx truck with triples took care of the landscaping in the center.  
I had to learn how to navigate them in WA State when I moved there.
View Quote
Proper roundabout design should include a surface wide enough to drift and a center that is ramped perfectly for late night jumps.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top