Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I was on the Lean team a few years back, as the lone rank-and-file member at a table of clueless office snackers. Everything went like this:

Lean training: Use a scientific method to observe existing processes and find areas of improvement.
Admin: Let's do this thing I thought of as a Lean project. Here's the SOP
Me: We need to follow the process--
Admin: I'M NOT BEING HEARD, STOP BEING COMBATIVE, I'M CALLING HR

I don't work there anymore
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a degree in supply chain management.

Lean can be very advantageous if done correctly.
Keeps the idiots out of jobs who just click “submit PO” without doing due diligence
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sounds like another company trying to use process and buzzwords as a substitute for intelligence and competency.

My current employer has done the same with an Agile/Scrum/Kanban word salad for a few years. We were making progress up until a year ago when new projects and new upper management shoved us right back to blind chaos and endlessly dropping everything to chase the latest whim of senior leadership.
View Quote

@governmentman

You're not Agile, but you already knew that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IT Dept at non manufacturing corp uses agile for their projects. Glad I don't work IT and have to listen to all the scrum bullshit
View Quote

@JG_Wentworth

What do you mean by "all the scrum bullshit" - what's going wrong / what kind of problems are they having?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a degree in supply chain management.

Lean can be very advantageous if done correctly.
Keeps the idiots out of jobs who just click “submit PO” without doing due diligence
View Quote

If you're having to do a ton of "due diligence " maybe your lean isn't working, or at least being followed.

JIT/lean is a shit idea that only came about from being forced.

Or whatever
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Scrum works very well in software development, but one must have competent architects.  That's where most companies that fail at scrum, do so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's like our daily scrum meetings and how we tell people we follow scrum, but there is nothing scrum-like about our development process at all. (If anything, our development process is best defined as anarchy.)

Scrum works very well in software development, but one must have competent architects.  That's where most companies that fail at scrum, do so.

@74HC

Scrum doesn't require "capital 'A' Architects."

Scrum requires delegation of daily decision making authority to the engineering staff. That's FAR more important than having a dedicated capital A Architect role. If daily decisions arn't delegated to the individual contributor roles, the Scrum implementation is incorrect and failed.

Concentrating decision making into a capital A Architect and taking it away from the individual contributors is an anti-pattern. That's not to say there's no place for a higher level engineering role (there absolutely is and should be), but it's not a "you do this and you do that" role.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My employer has been "switching to agile" for the entire 7 years I've worked there.

So far, basically no one does it.  Occasionally one or two hardcharger PMs will run a project that way while bitching about how its not working right because the organization all around them just isn't set up that way..lol

I'm just glad everyone finally dropped 90% of the corporate jargon bullshit that used to infect this place.  For the most part we all just talk like people again.
View Quote

@dskeet

You'll never get there until your organization diminishes the number of PMPs on payroll.

They're in the way, not helpful.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It fails due to bad Theory X PMO style management much moreso in my experience.

A for instance is that the meetings in which the managers are supposed to only listen and not talk turns into an endless circle that only gets broken when they "understand" it all.

I used to fucking LOVE pointing out that we're not really embracing scrum if we're corrupting it by altering its core tenets.

And it always degenerates into more pressure at the front edge of the project, leaving maintenance, bugfixes and other critical things unhandled, and blamed on others for not finding "workarounds" because the team is "really busy on their sprint."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It fails due to bad Theory X PMO style management much moreso in my experience.

A for instance is that the meetings in which the managers are supposed to only listen and not talk turns into an endless circle that only gets broken when they "understand" it all.

I used to fucking LOVE pointing out that we're not really embracing scrum if we're corrupting it by altering its core tenets.

And it always degenerates into more pressure at the front edge of the project, leaving maintenance, bugfixes and other critical things unhandled, and blamed on others for not finding "workarounds" because the team is "really busy on their sprint."

Mostly correct, with one strikeout and correction on my part.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
In healthcare, it means doctors are the highest paid data entry clerks going, while administrators get paid bonuses for getting rid of the data entry positions, thus increasing corporate profit at the expense of physician productivity & patient care/satisfaction while locally affecting the job market, getting rid of jobs once held by high school grads.

It’s a “win:win” for admin and “lose:lose” for everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked at a place that did 6Sigma, it was a waste of time and money.  It has its place but office work is not one of them.  Honestly it’s mostly a scam bc some jackass sigma person sells mgmt on it, they pay him a shit ton to come in and train the force, then pay more for him to consult to make it work.  It never does and he moves on to repeat at some other company.

Now Agile is the new rage…again it has some good principles but is basically a way to micromanage the ever loving shit out of everyone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I know of an incompetent manager that fancies himself as a lean expert (not even close).

I told him he really took 5s to the next level and created 6s.  The sixth S was "SUPRISE!"  He'd go in and "kaizen" shit in various areas on the weekend by himself without consulting anybody.   He'd literally move somebodies desk, like not turn it around, like move it the fuck to a different area of the shop  He is no longer employed by the organization.

Lean principles can be applied to just about anything...... to a point.  But it has to be very calculated, specific, and relevant.  We have a large aerospace customer that has a couple people on their staff that will travel to vendor locations and train/kaizen, etc. at the vendors request.  That lady was really down to earth and practical, we actually learned something.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I was trained in LSS to finish my thesis, but as a Healthcare application rather than manufacturing. My thesis centered around building a theoretical framework to build, maintain, and evaluate system-wide Healthcare policy and procedure. I took aspects of LSS and blended with several other programs and tailored them to Healthcare. It holds some great theories, and can be applied to nearly any industry to increase efficency. Bringing in an LSS expert and some low level training for employees....especially new employees....can provide quantitative changes in your business. Of course, nearly every aspect of it will benefit business owners and administrators significantly more than the individual employee. Unfortunately, people get so wrapped up in LSS that they forget their eventual target and become waste themselves. I worked with quite a few of these type.

My advice is to spend a few hours learning about LSS before denouncing it. It is based on some decent research and can help you be a better worker, admin, or business owner, whatever you may be. That said, it is not the best program out there IMO and they are years late to the game it sounds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a lean "champion" how can I help you.
View Quote

I think he has too many pens and pencils at his desk, and they shouldn’t be in drawers. Our company does not need blue pens and black pens. Cumulatively, minutes are wasted annually while employees hesitate while reaching for pens. Eliminating blue pens eliminates waste and increases profitability.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:JIT is a shit idea that only came about from being forced.
View Quote

JIT usually ends up JTL....Just Too Late

And then you've got FIFO....First In First Out.....but that ends up being FISH.   First In, Still Here.

Tony

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@74HC

Scrum requires delegation of daily decision making authority to the engineering staff. That's FAR more important than having a dedicated capital A Architect role. If daily decisions arn't delegated to the individual contributor roles, the Scrum implementation is incorrect and failed.

Concentrating decision making into a capital A Architect and taking it away from the individual contributors is an anti-pattern. That's not to say there's no place for a higher level engineering role (there absolutely is and should be), but it's not a "you do this and you do that" role.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's like our daily scrum meetings and how we tell people we follow scrum, but there is nothing scrum-like about our development process at all. (If anything, our development process is best defined as anarchy.)

@74HC

It's popular here to blame the concept or methodology for what usually sounds like management incompetence. It's part of the overall weird reaction to any new words or concepts as something be mocked before even trying to understand it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Cross pollinating ideas will create the synergy needed to be rock stars.  Or it was something like that. The twenty somethings ate it up.

Ideas that were brought forward were shot down because decision makers had no understanding of operations.  Or they didn't come up with the idea first and the ego's of managment started to synergize. F'en echo chamber rattling around in their closed minds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
After our 1990s MBA guy was shown the door new leadership is already signaling they are willing to spend money reasonably to capitalize on opportunities.

They are also going balls to the wall to ramp up more local production capabilities.

While I'm sure they will be efficient and use the money wisely it appears using "lean" as an excuse to be cheap, avoid risks and generally stay mired in mediocracy is over.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Navy was (is) no better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Army tried that years ago.

It didn’t work.

Navy was (is) no better.

Was exposed to it in the USMC a few years back.

Laaaaaaame

Exactly what we need.  More vague buzzwords that mean fuck-all nothing in our collective vocabulary.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds like he probably actually needs a yellow belt... then he can tell the black belt there's a problem and it can be delegated to a green belt to fix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clearly, you need a black belt.

Sounds like he probably actually needs a yellow belt... then he can tell the black belt there's a problem and it can be delegated to a green belt to fix.
I had a new boss tell me about his black belt and how impressive it was like I should be intimidated.  I replied that I had one too but the difference is I really can and do choke people unconscious.  Didnt even get a smile from him.  I'm turning in my notice on Monday.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#23]
You need to introduce your company to "Who Moved My Cheese" by Johnson.

It will revolutionize your business or at least be entertaining for 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That’s a bingo.  Lean or six sigma is cool right up until it optimizes away a layer or two of middle management.  Then there is a mad dash to justify the FTE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you go back to the 1940's it was basically what allowed our industrial base to turn into a war supply machine staffed with women and old men.  

The fact that it is so poorly implemented in a lot of organizations speaks to poor leadership.  You can't hire some consultants and put up some banners with buzzwords on them and expect instant change.  In fact, you're probably better off launching small improvement projects with no fan fare.  Just work to make the people that actually create value for your company more efficient.

How many of you guys complaining have ideas that would make your job easier and more efficient by eliminating some corporate BS from your life?  All it takes is strong leadership to come in and listen to the guys putting in the work and implementing the right changes.  The biggest hang up that I see today is that most of those changes mean creating a "lean" management structure.  Which means cutting out a lot of the middle management companies carry with no real benefit.

That’s a bingo.  Lean or six sigma is cool right up until it optimizes away a layer or two of middle management.  Then there is a mad dash to justify the FTE.

As much dumbshit as my company dreamed up for us dumbass truck mechanics to do...in a 28
year career I witnessed 4 huge upper/middle management buyouts and never an hourly employee one.

The board and directors knew who kept the shit running and moving.

BTW...following dumb ideas/procedures to the letter will eventually get them to go away. The company decided
that every part above 10.00 needed management approval for purchase. By the time you made a list, sent the boss
an email, went home, returned the next day, read email, ordered parts, received and installed said parts, out of service
went from a day or two to something like a week for even minor shit.

It was nothing to have 25% of the fleet out of service awaiting parts or approval. It took less than three months for shit to change...
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Lean is sucking right now! Inventory turns don't mean shit when your lead times are tripled.

We have some lead times that went from 6 to 8 weeks to 71 weeks. Yeah, suck it Lean!
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah we used to be big into the Lean, 5S, Kaizen stuff then about 4-5 years ago all that shit fell by the wayside and things haven't really changed. We had some upper management / executive level changes so I am guessing it was related to that.

Less busywork and bullshit to worry about.
View Quote

It’s a circle jerk - management  wants to make it look like they  are putting in quality systems in place to keep their contracts.
They pass it all down to the underlings to implement the system- when it fails because management wants to keep production to meet customer needs  - they blame the underlings for the system failure and fire them.

Then the circle jerk starts all over again.

Quality Matters !!!!!!

Bottom line - management wants their bonus—

Frick Quality !

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I worked at a place that did 6Sigma, it was a waste of time and money.  It has its place but office work is not one of them.  Honestly it’s mostly a scam bc some jackass sigma person sells mgmt on it, they pay him a shit ton to come in and train the force, then pay more for him to consult to make it work.  It never does and he moves on to repeat at some other company.

Now Agile is the new rage…again it has some good principles but is basically a way to micromanage the ever loving shit out of everyone.
View Quote

@Spasm

Agile is not a way to micromanage employees, it's the exact opposite.

If micromanagement was worse in your organization after they started to "implement Agile" the most likely cause is executive management was disengaged, delegated "becoming agile" to middle management, and middle management actively sabotoged Agile to make it look bad to executive management so they could report back "Agile isn't right for us" and defend their legacy scoped middle management authority against an Agile transformation.

When you hear "story points weren't right for us" from middle management, that's what's happening.

Story points neuters many forms of micromanagement that's possible with hours based estimates.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#28]
my last couple jobs went that way and now we can't get parts.  It works if you only make a couple things without a lot of parts variations.    If you make thousands of different products its nuts. They will throw out inventory that is good, then have to buy higher a year later or wait for 2 years to get what they tossed out.   Somehow they saved money, when we cannot ship product.

other place went so lean ,,,, they outta business.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...The company decided that every part above 10.00 needed management approval for purchase. By the time you made a list, sent the boss an email, went home, returned the next day, read email, ordered parts, received and installed said parts, out of service went from a day or two to something like a week for even minor shit.
View Quote

Before the covid stupidity, some small and mid size tech companies would advertise in a job description that software engineers when hired would have a $10,000 budget to design and build their own workstation - tower monitors and all. Make it how you like it, rather than being forced to use some stripped down cookie cutter computer chosen by someone who doesn't write software 8 hours a day.

They did this to advertise that they were not doing what's described above - being penny wise and pound foolish.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just make sure you use the new cover page for your TPS reports. That'd be great.
View Quote

I shit you not, this reference played a huge part in me landing the job I just got offered.  The plant manager was like "what's your experience level with TPS reports?"  I responded "do you like them with or without the cover sheet? ".  Later when I was discussing my offer with them, he said my response was when he knew I was the right choice and would fit in with their team.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I did LSS shit years ago, also in an office environment. I annoyed everybody by constantly saying, "Man, this would've been a useful thing when I worked in a factory in college."

But it was the shiny thing the DoD wanted on all contracts until PMPs became the new shiny thing.

My favorite was when the instructor talked about some factory tracking people's motions to place tools closer to their workstations and did we have ideas like that and we all said, "we sit at desks and email things."
View Quote
I worked for a company that implemented this nationwide in the service industry. Problem was our facility operated with 25 employees on a 24-hour clock, as opposed to hundreds of employees in other facilities. When the efficiency experts came in to study everything we did, they ended up leaving with virtually no suggestions on how to become more efficient with only one person doing each job at any given time. It was kind of funny.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Before the covid stupidity, some small and mid size tech companies would advertise in a job description that software engineers when hired would have a $10,000 budget to design and build their own workstation - tower monitors and all. Make it how you like it, rather than being forced to use some stripped down cookie cutter computer chosen by someone who doesn't write software 8 hours a day.

They did this to advertise that they were not doing what's described above - being penny wise and pound foolish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...The company decided that every part above 10.00 needed management approval for purchase. By the time you made a list, sent the boss an email, went home, returned the next day, read email, ordered parts, received and installed said parts, out of service went from a day or two to something like a week for even minor shit.

Funny micromanagement story from a computer programmer friend. He worked for a large .gov
contractor. Someone decided there was was to much waste in the break room coffee. They had the large
sized Bunn carafes. So what do they do?

Go to a K cup style coffee maker. Less waste. Now you have multiple guys standing around
waiting on the coffee machine that are getting paid 150K plus.

But some manager saved a few bucks on the monthly coffee bill....

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As much dumbshit as my company dreamed up for us dumbass truck mechanics to do...in a 28
year career I witnessed 4 huge upper/middle management buyouts and never an hourly employee one.

BTW...following dumb ideas/procedures to the letter will eventually get them to go away. The company decided
that every part above 10.00 needed management approval for purchase. By the time you made a list, sent the boss
an email, went home, returned the next day, read email, ordered parts, received and installed said parts, out of service

It was nothing to have 25% of the fleet out of service awaiting parts or approval. It took less than three months for shit to change...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you go back to the 1940's it was basically what allowed our industrial base to turn into a war supply machine staffed with women and old men.  

The fact that it is so poorly implemented in a lot of organizations speaks to poor leadership.  You can't hire some consultants and put up some banners with buzzwords on them and expect instant change.  In fact, you're probably better off launching small improvement projects with no fan fare.  Just work to make the people that actually create value for your company more efficient.

How many of you guys complaining have ideas that would make your job easier and more efficient by eliminating some corporate BS from your life?  All it takes is strong leadership to come in and listen to the guys putting in the work and implementing the right changes.  The biggest hang up that I see today is that most of those changes mean creating a "lean" management structure.  Which means cutting out a lot of the middle management companies carry with no real benefit.

Malicious compliance is an effective vehicle for change.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@governmentman

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds like another company trying to use process and buzzwords as a substitute for intelligence and competency.

My current employer has done the same with an Agile/Scrum/Kanban word salad for a few years. We were making progress up until a year ago when new projects and new upper management shoved us right back to blind chaos and endlessly dropping everything to chase the latest whim of senior leadership.

@governmentman

Yeah, hence describing what my employer does as 'word salad' rather than actually practicing it.

you've preached to me with that a few times before.

I've yet to see it implemented in a pure enough form anywhere to meet your definition. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it certainly seems to be really damn rare.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I worked for a company that implemented this nationwide in the service industry. Problem was our facility operated with 25 employees on a 24-hour clock, as opposed to hundreds of employees in other facilities. When the efficiency experts came in to study everything we did, they ended up leaving with virtually no suggestions on how to become more efficient with only one person doing each job at any given time. It was kind of funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did LSS shit years ago, also in an office environment. I annoyed everybody by constantly saying, "Man, this would've been a useful thing when I worked in a factory in college."

But it was the shiny thing the DoD wanted on all contracts until PMPs became the new shiny thing.

My favorite was when the instructor talked about some factory tracking people's motions to place tools closer to their workstations and did we have ideas like that and we all said, "we sit at desks and email things."

10 years ago I was chosen to have one of those companies follow me around for a weeks worth of work. At the
time my hours were 0300 to 1130. After the last day the guy said to me..."The company doesn't pay you guys enough".

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Might need to optimize that process to achieve more synergy
View Quote

Kaizen!  (Phone autocorrected this to Karen originally.  I don't know whether to lmao or throw this thing through the window.)

5S!  (Code for throw it away if it won't be used in the next month.)

Pokeyoke!  (Build the components so the lowest common denominator can assemble them.  Or maybe don't hire, retain, or promote dumbasses who can't figure out and follow instructions.)

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you are not in manufacturing or more specifically if you are in a service industry, when you hear the words Lean 6 Sigma, Lean 6 ,6 Sigma or Lean Anyfuckingthing just start looking for a job because before it is all over you will need it. If you hear it from a 32 year old in cotton dockers, boat shoes and a Hitler youth haircut then take vacation time and go find one NOW.
View Quote
fucking this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you are not in manufacturing or more specifically if you are in a service industry, when you hear the words Lean 6 Sigma, Lean 6 ,6 Sigma or Lean Anyfuckingthing just start looking for a job because before it is all over you will need it. If you hear it from a 32 year old in cotton dockers, boat shoes and a Hitler youth haircut then take vacation time and go find one NOW.
View Quote

If you think Lean is bad, just wait until your company become aware of Total Productive Maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give you another example.

Inventory control. Sure you need to keep track of where parts are going but....getting an active warning letter
for having a missing 1.00 bulb in inventory???

So every Friday I'd put 4 hours on my timecard and I'd run a printout and count my inventory to make
sure it was flawless. My manager gave me shit about it. I kept on doing it. I'm not losing my job over
a few missing bulbs.

Come to find out down the road a huge number of the other mechanics were doing the same thing to CYA.
Upper management saw the wasted hours on the time cards and changed the policy to a 10% dollar variance.
That number was easy to keep control of and keep yourself out of trouble....

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like you work for a major insurance company that has been trying to automate jobs away for many years, but keeps buying programs from the discount bin at Office Max or Costco and can't seem to get things to ever work right.

But yeah...I see stuff like that all the time.  Ladder climbers come in, introduce something "new," and then attach all the proper buzzwords to it to get upper mgmt on board.  It's then rolled out only to falter and eventually be propped up at least until the next ladder climber with something "new and novel" comes along to package another turd of a program spray painted gold.

See it all the time if you hang around long enough.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#43]
The Navy has it - put the trash can on the red x.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
To be honest, six sigma will appropriately generate reliable vortals. It will also let you enthusiastically synergize front-end niche markets. While also proving rapidiously architect real-time expertise. This will inturn cause your workforce to dramatically incubate innovative sprints. The benefit of that will be to ungibly innovate multidisciplinary virtualization.
View Quote

Want to know how I know that is made up gibberish?  It sounds like it but to many you would be god-like.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We literally had maybe 1-2 hours of training and a couple of follow up calls.

We are not a manufacturing company. We don't make a product at all. The only change we've had as mentioned earlier is a 15 minute "daily operating review" call.

I have no doubt it wasn't rolled out correctly.
View Quote
I'm not sure it COULD be rolled out. It really doesn't apply unless you make or ship things. People TRY to make it apply, but that's where all the jokes come from.
Amusingly, the part so many companies that SHOULD be using it get wrong is that they think it will be a cost savings measure early on. It won't. In fact, it may COST money to setup. You will have new inefficiencies while you adjust schedules and routes and supply timings. You may need to purchase significant amounts of materials or equipment to make it actually work. Going forward, once you achieve the efficiency gains it is designed to give you, the savings will pay off. There's also the fact that too many of the people who are big champions at companies have NO idea about the actual operations level situation. They look at how long it's supposed to take to get new materials in once ordered, how long they should last... they don't actually look at how often those orders take longer to arrive, or have issues. They don't look at how often production has to adjust between orders. They don't consider what will happen to their cute little flow chart if a truck has an accident or breakdown and before it's back up (because you DID have a spare, right?) there's another issue or suddenly increase in orders due to a seasonal or other short term change where normally your spare(s) would suffice. It's a perfect storm, because very often the PROBLEM should actually be an advantage for the business because it's caused by things you can use to create good will with customers or a jump in sales. But, if you went so LEAN that you can't handle the situation you shoot yourself in the foot. There's nothing in LEAN that actually says to not plan for this kind of stuff, it's just that people start making their cost savings sheets and it looks a lot better without that little extra insurance for when things don't go smoothly. RIGHT until something goes wrong, then everyone starts pointing fingers.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's earned by making up nonsensical titles that start as buzzwords instead of using perfectly serviceable descriptive language.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@74HC

It's popular here to blame the concept or methodology for what usually sounds like management incompetence. It's part of the overall weird reaction to any new words or concepts as something be mocked before even trying to understand it.

It's earned by making up nonsensical titles that start as buzzwords instead of using perfectly serviceable descriptive language.

Most of his systems literally come complete with precisely defined terms for positions and functions specifically to prevent "nonsensical titles" and meaningless "buzzwords," instead creating a level of standardization.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No clue.   In my place its usually lots of talk and a big nothing.
View Quote

Been my experience.

Attended the meeting we had.  They asked for ideas to discuss and I dropped about a dozen things off the top of my head that could shave about an hour off most peoples day.

Everyone agreed these were great ideas.  None of which was executed.  Typical big company thinking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#48]
lol, reminds me of Quality through Participation where I worked.   It was a state government thing.  I worked in LE, absolutely no one in management wanted our participation in steering the ship.   It was jokingly called the Quick Ticket Program.  All management wanted was more and more tickets written.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Unfortunately JIT thinking will run you out of business in BidenWorld.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#50]
"Deck Building", "Kaizan", "Six-Sigma", "Lean", "5S"...to mention a few.

Jesus Christ, I can't wait to retire in December.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top