User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thread is GD AF.

Three hour fishing trip is bullshit to any reasonable person or standard.

Kid was speeding and got the paper for it.

Cops continue to undermine their brand and value to society with this kind of stuff.

Same as it ever was.
View Quote

And there’s absolutely no chance the kid is lying about any detail, nope kids never lie…not once.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Three hour detainment and search isn’t not reasonable. WTF indeed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thread is GD AF.

Cops continue to undermine their brand and value to society with this kind of stuff.

Same as it ever was.

Yes, it sure is. A secondhand story with things in it that don't add up, yet it is absolute proof to many here of an out of control cop. I'm all for calling out shitty cops, but there's more than enough WTF in this story to hold judgement until more proof is provided.

Three hour detainment and search isn’t not reasonable. WTF indeed.

Of course a three hour detention is unreasonable. I'm just stating OP's secondhand story from his son is questionable at best. If it happened, it's absolute bullshit. I'm just not ready to completely accept it without more evidence.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So you are good with him being shot at?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been shot at twice on interdiction stops. If you think those running drugs are just friendly mules and the cartels are like the Hells Angels and are just great pillars in our community helping the needy children with toy drives, you are in need of a new compass.

People stop giving a shit when they're not the problem, but get subjected to the solution anyway.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I were a drug runner I would absolutely pay clean law abiding folks to take road trips up and down that corridor by having them “win” destination driving trips.

For the cost of 50k worth of vacations I could move millions while the Johnny Laws strip search grandma and junior.
View Quote

When my grandmother was still alive, she and my mother did a road trip to visit another relative.   They got stopped for speeding on I-90 in Billings (for 2mph over).  Cop asked to search their vehicle and they consented. He didn't find anything. They shouldn't have consented of course, but they were a couple of straight laced church ladies who didn't drink or smoke or swear or take the tags off mattresses.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]

I havent seen anything like that issued to any kind of patrol unit here (and it appears I'm not the only forum LEO that hasnt heard of such a device).  Now our fraud unit has a card reader that can read data loaded onto cards, but theres only 1 machine here (in an agency of over 2k employees) and the last time I had anything to do with reading cards (within the past 3-4 years) they werent able to pull any kind of funds from the account.  Just because tech is out there doesnt mean that it is in common use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics of your son's gf and her cat?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to get hassled by the cops all the time when I was younger. I've had my car torn apart looking for drugs only to come up empty handed. Cops fuck with kids. That's just how it is. Lots of people here talking about suing, getting a lawyer, etc. Good luck with that.

I found a way to fuck with them back when I was around 20 years old. It's free and it works. Have your son call the D.A.'s office and let them know that he will be coming to court over the speeding ticket and if possible he would like to enter a not guilty plea over the phone. Two days before the court date, he should call and ask to reschedule since he is out of town. Two days before the next court date, do it again. Keep doing it for a year if he can and when they finally demand that he actually show up, he should put on his Sunday best, be respectful and request a trial date. Why do this? TO WASTE THEIR TIME!!. They owe your son a few hours of his life. Take it back! By cancelling at the last minute, his name should still be on the docket and the cop has top be present in court. There's also the chance that the cop might not want the scrutiny during a trial and he may ask the D.A. to just drop it. I've had had D.A.'s tell me to just pay court costs and they'll throw out the ticket. The worst case scenario is that he loses in trial and has a bullshit little speeding ticket on his record. Even if that happens, he will have wasted as much of their time as they did his.
View Quote

lol....thatd be awesome since we (at my agency) get paid to be be in court.   Thats an easy $130/court session.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
As a father of three sons, I would be just as livid if not more.   I agree there is not a lot you can do about it, but I would be that guy to spend some money to at minimal repay the favor in wasting the officer's time.   The officer put your child and his girl at risk of being injured or worse sitting on the side of the road for 3 hrs. over nothing.  What if a drunk had slammed into their vehicle?  

I am not a cop hater at all.   That vast majority of officers are great people, but you can't deny that a lot of good officers have left the profession only to be replaced by jerks on a power trip.  We all saw this coming and can thank the democrats for their anti police BS.  It's going to get worse before it gets better unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
15 pages, where you been?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two family funerals, emergency coil/hvac replacement, pet surgery, just to name a few things
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#11]
you know what would really piss me off about that encounter if it was me, is the fact they rummaged through all my shit and didn't even bother to fucking put it back!!!

i hear about it and saw it on livepd again and again, cops just toss ur shit then leave it lay in the fucking dirt and road while they peace out after finding jack shit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Rodriquez v. US, a seizure justified only by a police-observed traffic violation “becomes unlawful if it is prolonged beyond the time reasonably required to complete the mission” of issuing a ticket for the violation. This means that you have to let someone go after you complete writing the ticket.

The important is question, can I leave now? If not why ?
View Quote

I came to post this. This IS your son's case.  Shop for a good civil lawyer  that has handled prior criminal casei.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I used to get hassled by the cops all the time when I was younger. I've had my car torn apart looking for drugs only to come up empty handed. Cops fuck with kids. That's just how it is. Lots of people here talking about suing, getting a lawyer, etc. Good luck with that.

I found a way to fuck with them back when I was around 20 years old. It's free and it works. Have your son call the D.A.'s office and let them know that he will be coming to court over the speeding ticket and if possible he would like to enter a not guilty plea over the phone. Two days before the court date, he should call and ask to reschedule since he is out of town. Two days before the next court date, do it again. Keep doing it for a year if he can and when they finally demand that he actually show up, he should put on his Sunday best, be respectful and request a trial date. Why do this? TO WASTE THEIR TIME!!. They owe your son a few hours of his life. Take it back! By cancelling at the last minute, his name should still be on the docket and the cop has top be present in court. There's also the chance that the cop might not want the scrutiny during a trial and he may ask the D.A. to just drop it. I've had had D.A.'s tell me to just pay court costs and they'll throw out the ticket. The worst case scenario is that he loses in trial and has a bullshit little speeding ticket on his record. Even if that happens, he will have wasted as much of their time as they did his.
View Quote

By all means, everyone do this. It's a minimum 4 hours of OT for an officer here. We sit in the lounge and watch the Sci Fi channel.  I've bought many a gun with court OT.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

By all means, everyone do this. It's a minimum 4 hours of OT for an officer here. We sit in the lounge and watch the Sci Fi channel.  I've bought many a gun with court OT.
View Quote

Who's budget does the OT come from?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nonsense.  It reliably created probable cause for him to search the vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dogs are incredibly unreliable.

Nonsense.  It reliably created probable cause for him to search the vehicle.

Drag the officer and dog into court, ask the officer what the dog does whin it indicates drugs. Bring in a sample kit and have the dog find a sample in the court room in front of the jury. When the dog does not indicate the same way as the officer said it would or not at all, your son wins..
How do I know, you ask? Well I will tell you . That
is what happened  to a K-9 officer that I knew.
He got his ass handed to  him in court because his dog didn't indicate the way he said it would. His case was thrown out and the guy he  tickled
and arrested for another charge ( no drugs found) walked.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who's budget does the OT come from?
View Quote

Dept OT budget.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Drag the officer and dog into court, ask the officer what the dog does whin it indicates drugs. Bring in a sample kit and have the dog find a sample in the court room in front of the jury. When the dog does not indicate the same way as the officer said it would or not at all, your son wins..
How do I know, you ask? Well I will tell you . That
is what happened  to a K-9 officer that I knew.
He got his ass handed to  him in court because his dog didn't indicate the way he said it would. His case was thrown out and the guy he  tickled
and arrested for another charge ( no drugs found) walked.

View Quote

He was not charged with drugs.  There is no court case to take to court.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
you know what would really piss me off about that encounter if it was me, is the fact they rummaged through all my shit and didn't even bother to fucking put it back!!!

i hear about it and saw it on livepd again and again, cops just toss ur shit then leave it lay in the fucking dirt and road while they peace out after finding jack shit.
View Quote

I feel the same way in airports when the search my luggage. It takes me a long time to Tetris all my stuff into my bag!
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My 21-year-old son has been on a road trip the last few days heading from ATX to Big Sky, MT.

He's a senior at UT in Austin and got a job for the summer working at the Big Sky Lodge, he has been stoked for weeks to get on the road and see that part if the country.  He and his girlfriend, and their cat left ATX yesterday.

I gave him some fatherly advice before he left, I let him know he was driving a known drug corridor with out of state plates and was going to be pulled over if he wasn't extremely careful with his driving.  Of course, I was right.

As they drove West out of Billings this afternoon, he noticed a Dodge Durango had been following them for about 30 miles.  At some point as he accelerated to pass a few trucks the Durango lit him up.  The vehicle was unmarked, so my son dialed 911 to confirm the car was actually a real officer, they confirmed that it was, and my son pulled over.

A plain clothes officer with a canine approached the car and immediately commanded my son the exit the vehicle, did not ask for license, or registration, just demanded that he exit the vehicle (I get it the cop was pissed he didn't pull over immediately). He was cuffed and placed in the back of the unmarked unit, meanwhile the girlfriend is hysterical in the passenger seat.  The officer call for a female back up to search the girlfriend, which takes an hour, and then she is cuffed and placed in the back of the Durango. While that was going on the dog alerts on the vehicle, or maybe just got excited by the cat in the car, and the officer decides he has cause to perform a search.

The officer and the backups spend 3 hours removing every piece of luggage and searching every item in the luggage (the car was stuffed full as he was staying for the summer), and finally, after finding nothing, and leaving all their belongings on the side of the road writes him a ticket for 10 over and tells him to slow it down.

I get it, it's a drug corridor but my kid does not fit the profile, both had paperwork that they were employed for the summer, they had a real destination, my son has a clean driving record, and no criminal record, they had the cat, driving a Honda Pilot, the search was just not necessary in my opinion.

I'm far from a cop hater, I respect the police, they have a tough job, but sometimes they just do shit that I don't get.  

I guess we should be happy that he didn't bring any cash with him for them to relieve him of.

I know, cool story, Bro.
View Quote

Out of state tags on son's vehicle?

Was it an asset forfeiture "corridor"? (assett forfetiure = just plain old scummy theft)

Non-permissive state and son carries or is licensed to?

Did he get the badge numbers and names of the cops?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]
If your son was an Aggie, this shit would never have happened.

UT, damnit man
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Was the copper following him for 30 miles or were they both heading west on i90 at roughly the same rate of speed?  I've travelled west on 90 with cops somewhere in the mirror for longer distances but they weren't following me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dept OT budget.
View Quote

Sounds good to me. Around here that budget is largely used to fund voluntary OT doing traffic enforcement.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been shot at twice on interdiction stops. If you think those running drugs are just friendly mules and the cartels are like the Hells Angels and are just great pillars in our community helping the needy children with toy drives, you are in need of a new compass.

People stop giving a shit when they're not the problem, but get subjected to the solution anyway.

https://media.giphy.com/media/blPpTGDhn6hEI/giphy.gif

Typical for you. Not smart enough to defend your side so you just post a cat meme.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LE or 911 call taker experience? I am guessing no if you think multiple channels, multiple agencies, and a single call center function with ease.
View Quote

I'm not sure how the inability for LE to communicate with itself should be my problem.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Typical for you. Not smart enough to defend your side so you just post a cat meme.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  I'll use words:  How on God's green Earth did you get from people not enjoying being searched for three hours on the side of the road to a poster being good with cops being shot at?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Okay.  I'll use words:  How on God's green Earth did you get from people not enjoying being searched for three hours on the side of the road to a poster being good with cops being shot at?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reply in response that says “People stop giving a shit when they’re not the problem, but get subjected…”
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The reply in response that says “People stop giving a shit when they’re not the problem, but get subjected…”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't mean he's good with it.  Ambivalent is an position too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Let's say the routine traffic stop was good and the dog actually did alert.  The court rulings are that even with the alert a non-consensual search has to be completed in a reasonable time.  Absent other evidence of drugs that should take no more than 20 min or so.  After that it becomes an arrest whether stated or not.

So if the officer cannot find some evidence in that time, you give the motorist their stuff back and send them away.  That means sometimes you do not find what you think is there.

I think 3 hours on the side of the road crosses the line from arrest to an unlawful detention, and a civil suit is warranted.

Even in a drug corridor the courts insist on a reasonable search time commensurate with observable evidence.

I really hate when cops do stops just to fish for shitty dope arrest and did not allow that when I was a boss.  If you do a stop and see evidence of drugs or whatever OK but JHC you've got other shit to do.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So typical for you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What local agency would follow for that long and do a 3 hour traffic stop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What local agency would follow for that long and do a 3 hour traffic stop?

One that really wanted to steal a car for a trace amount of MJ, or some prescription meds not in their correct bottles. Or confiscate some cash.

Quoted:
This. Recent-ish Supreme Court ruling--police cannot detain you longer than what is reasonable to address the reason for the stop. IOW, you're pulled over for speeding, they can't make you sit and wait 4 hours for a dog.

So they "release" and then re-detain you. Hand you a piece of paper, then say "I need you to stay here for a while longer". Reset the clock. Or just claim that it's voluntary.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lol....thatd be awesome since we (at my agency) get paid to be be in court.   Thats an easy $130/court session.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more about being annoying to repay annoyance.

I see you're from N.C.

Hopefully you weren't working in Mecklenburg or Union Counties in the early 90's.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which one
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Meh... the scenic route he's referring to would involve 191 from Grand Teton NP, up through Yellowstone NP. It's a major tourist route.  In fact, if your car is running on 3 cylinders and won't do over 45mph, that route is perfect, because you're gonna be stuck in a lot of 25mph traffic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just leaving the area he is headed to and I'm jealous that your son is spending the summer up in Big Sky.  I worked on the lifts there back in 06 or 07.  We just left big sky and hopefully your son will act like a duck and let it roll off his back to not ruin a spectacular summer.  

As far as the stop,  you can do a request for the dash/body cams and kick at it from there.  It sounds like an unreasonable search and maybe the video will back that up.  The whole not pulling over until confirmation from 911 probably sparked the incident overall but we've been up here a few days now and the only marked cars I have seen have been park rangers.  

Also, your kid needs to get a better map, up to  Billings then over and  back down is a bullshit way to get to big sky.  They bypassed some killed scenery.
My bad on the route, I advised him to take the highway route since his car is not exactly a newer model.  With 170K on the clock I didn't want to risk a breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

Meh... the scenic route he's referring to would involve 191 from Grand Teton NP, up through Yellowstone NP. It's a major tourist route.  In fact, if your car is running on 3 cylinders and won't do over 45mph, that route is perfect, because you're gonna be stuck in a lot of 25mph traffic

Lol I was actually going to suggest Cody and through the park that way.  We came out and down the way you are saying though.  The construction in the park that we his was a real headache though.  

Either way,  legit routes with some good scenery.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Happens to the best of us. Mine was in Kansas in 81. The pos I was driving belonged to muh buddy sleeping shotgun. His wake up was comical. The popo were looking for outlaw bikers that day. Only kept us for 20 minutes or so.
Another time, in 84 or so, a dumbass coworker decided to run from the popo. That time was much more exciting with multiple cop cars and guns drawn.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to hear they got jammed up. Hate to break it to you but your son is probably having the sex. Even if you had not given me a Christmas Dillo I have to tell the truth
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah, I know, I have failed as a Father.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hes travelling with a fucking cat OP
Yeah, I know, I have failed as a Father.

Depends how hot the GF is and how she is getting n bed
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Might try this outfit:

https://ij.org/
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear they got jammed up. Hate to break it to you but your son is probably having the sex. Even if you had not given me a Christmas Dillo I have to tell the truth
View Quote
The silver lining is the GFs family is filthy rich.  They are like vacation homes in Hawaii, Aspen, and Idaho and their own private jet rich.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cant believe it took 15 pages    
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And there’s absolutely no chance the kid is lying about any detail, nope kids never lie…not once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thread is GD AF.

Same as it ever was.

And there's absolutely no chance the cops kept digging in the hopes of justifying what they'd done. Nope. Not once.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I havent seen anything like that issued to any kind of patrol unit here (and it appears I'm not the only forum LEO that hasnt heard of such a device).  Now our fraud unit has a card reader that can read data loaded onto cards, but theres only 1 machine here (in an agency of over 2k employees) and the last time I had anything to do with reading cards (within the past 3-4 years) they werent able to pull any kind of funds from the account.  Just because tech is out there doesnt mean that it is in common use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Our property crimes detectives gave a bunch of us the magnetic stripe readers for out on patrol. It basically just reads the card and puts the information on a word document.

Turds on cloning cards on the blank cards that you can get in bulk on amazon. It's not uncommon to catch a turn rolling around with 50 blank cards at a time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We get OT with mandatory 2 hours minimum. Sign me the fuck up.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, your son needs to get the in-car/BWC footage and please post it here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He was not charged with drugs.  There is no court case to take to court.
View Quote

There is a speeding case, and a slick lawyer can probably make that into a shit show if he can show that the ticket was issued 3 hours after the stop.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The silver lining is the GFs family is filthy rich.  They are like vacation homes in Hawaii, Aspen, and Idaho and their own private jet rich.
View Quote

I think you’ve found an avenue for justice
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does help a lot.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Again, if I am understanding your story correctly, it took an hour for the female backup to arrive, then they spent three hours searching the car. Add in miscellaneous time for others things, and you are claiming your son and his girlfriend were held on a traffic stop for over four hours????  I do not believe that for a second, unless further proof can be provided. Or there is WAY more to the store than your son told you, or you are telling us.

I’m not even sure I believe the Canine handling cop was in an unmarked car, and brought the dog with him on his initial approach. But maybe I am wrong, and they do things differently out there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the not pulling over right away lit the fuse.  Or maybe the officer didn't like cats.
View Quote

I know I’m way late to the party so this has probably already been said, but by not pulling over immediately your son acted like a criminal, which would possibly explain what happened when he did stop.

I wish there was video because I would be interested to see the entire interaction. Is it possible your son balked at the idea of exiting the car when he was told to?

Also, I know that you said you weren’t going to name the agency, but could you at least tell us if it was a municipal agency or a county agency? If this is something you have already answered at this point you can disregard.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Did the coppers give sonny boy the regular body search or the special Tranny search?

Attachment Attached File
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top