BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yea...but why would somebody need to verify their stop? That's a major ego hit. You trying to tell a cop they aren't a cop? They got their department installed lit up lights and sirens, they've done a bunch of bullshit stops in the past 8-12 hours, god damn you, who the hell are you to say they arent a cop?
View Quote

They should check their ego when they clock in. There’s no place for it on duty.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
All this talk of drugs when weed is legal there...
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yea...but why would somebody need to verify their stop? That's a major ego hit. You trying to tell a cop they aren't a cop? They got their department installed lit up lights and sirens, they've done a bunch of bullshit stops in the past 8-12 hours, god damn you, who the hell are you to say they arent a cop?
View Quote

How the heck do they know that the person answering the phone at 911 isn’t a Russian bot that hacked into the phone lines at the call center? Or maybe it’s a dispatch impersonator? Better call the state capital agency that collects certifications and request a copy that you will get in 10-15 business days just to be sure and safe before you pull over.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And that's why I will never, ever again attempt to find a safe place to pull over if I am ordered to stop.

Mr. Policeman can figure out his own safety.  I don't give a shit anymore.
View Quote

They should have figured that out already and initiated the stop somewhere that is safe based on the factors for them and you. Not where you think is safe. And yea, they kinda accept that whole lack of safety thing with traffic stops since they are one of the most dangerous things they do
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How the heck do they know that the person answering the phone at 911 isn’t a Russian bot that hacked into the phone lines at the call center? Or maybe it’s a dispatch impersonator? Better call the state capital agency that collects certifications and request a copy that you will get in 10-15 business days just to be sure and safe before you pull over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's reductio ad absurdum then there's just absurd.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Calm your tits....  If you say each letter of the word tits it sounds like dumbass
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should read more legitimate news.  It happens quite a bit.  Posers pulling people over.  It's a real thing.

And how statist do you have to be to side with a cop on this?  

You're gullible. Did you know that, if you say each letter of the word "gullible", it sounds like orange?
Calm your tits....  If you say each letter of the word tits it sounds like dumbass

No, you're doing it wrong...

You're supposed to look down your shirt and spell ATTIC.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP's story is fishy as hell, but don't let that stop the cop bashing TBL bullshit. I drive I90 west from Billings to Livingston or Bozeman a couple times a month. How many LEOs do I usually see? None. How many times have I seen a car pulled over and all the belongings pulled out? Zero. How many times have I ever seen a line of trucks to pass? Zero. How much is a ticket for 10 over in MT? $40, not $150. Very light traffic on that road and only a few small towns for 100 miles west of Billings. OP is either full of it, or isn't getting the whole truth. Plenty of verifiable instances of bad cops to get upset about. This one has no proof and plenty of reason to doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love to get an attorney but apparently this was not State Police but a local agency.  I doubt it would be worth the trouble and expense, I'm sure they do this daily and get away with it.

A local agency followed him for 30 miles?  The K9 handler came up to the car with his dog?   That whole story seems like BS

And the TBL begins in less than 1 page.

True heroes.

OP's story is fishy as hell, but don't let that stop the cop bashing TBL bullshit. I drive I90 west from Billings to Livingston or Bozeman a couple times a month. How many LEOs do I usually see? None. How many times have I seen a car pulled over and all the belongings pulled out? Zero. How many times have I ever seen a line of trucks to pass? Zero. How much is a ticket for 10 over in MT? $40, not $150. Very light traffic on that road and only a few small towns for 100 miles west of Billings. OP is either full of it, or isn't getting the whole truth. Plenty of verifiable instances of bad cops to get upset about. This one has no proof and plenty of reason to doubt.

What kind of vehicle do you drive? Maybe you don't look like you have any cash to seize?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They should have figured that out already and initiated the stop somewhere that is safe based on the factors for them and you. Not where you think is safe. And yea, they kinda accept that whole lack of safety thing with traffic stops since they are one of the most dangerous things they do
View Quote

This is is such a foolish position.  But frankly with how sufficient cops react to any delay in finding a safe place to stop, I'm going to stop on bridge on a blind curve if that's where the cop is dumb enough to activate the lights.  He'll get a fancy funeral.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ignore him.  That is SOP for him.  Put him on ignore and your life will get better here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concur. Seems like a story designed to rouse  the rabble  
I'm not trying to create any drama, I related the story as my son told it to me.  

Is it possible he's twisting the truth, sure, maybe I'm missing something here.  But, I know he was detained for 3 hours, and I know he is now on his way to Big Sky, his story is at least mostly true.

If I get a different story, I'll share it.

Ignore him.  That is SOP for him.  Put him on ignore and your life will get better here.

GDs very own expert on police and policing has finally arrived to set this thread right.  Please enlighten us with your knowledge on the subject matter. Or just do personal attacks since you are very adept at that as well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd love to get an attorney but apparently this was not State Police but a local agency.  I doubt it would be worth the trouble and expense, I'm sure they do this daily and get away with it.
View Quote

If you are willing to pursue the issue, we might be able to get a gofundme-type arrangement going to help out.  Hard to say how that might go with a large LEO presence among the membership.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you are willing to pursue the issue, we might be able to get a gofundme-type arrangement going to help out.  Hard to say how that might go with a large LEO presence among the membership.
View Quote

LO f'n L

this thread gets better and better
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is is such a foolish position.  But frankly with how sufficient cops react to any delay in finding a safe place to stop, I'm going to stop on bridge on a blind curve if that's where the cop is dumb enough to activate the lights.  He'll get a fancy funeral.
View Quote

You aren’t wrong
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"He should be thankful they didn't have a few thousand dollars in cash. That would be gone now".

Agree, if he had a few K in savings with him they would have 'confiscated' it.
View Quote

Any large amounts of currency in the vehicle?
I want to rob you of your vacation money.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#14]
What a joke.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#15]
If that cat could talk what tales he'd tell, bout the college kids and the cop as well
But the cat was cool and he never said a mumbling word

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone (especially male) that pulls the "I didn't know you were a cop" line and fails to stop is most commonly, trying to toss their drugs.  

Does not work too well when the cop has his windows down and catches a blizzard of pot all over his interior.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LO f'n L

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LO f'n L

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Speaking of drug dogs. I dated a woman who got stopped in a small town east of broken arrow. She had just picked up a bucket of chicken from KFC. The cop ran the dog around the car and it "hit" on the car, then proceeded to jump in the car and devour the entire bucket of chicken. The dog didn't hit on drugs, it hit on chicken.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Speaking of drug dogs. I dated a woman who got stopped in a small town east of broken arrow. She had just picked up a bucket of chicken from KFC. The cop ran the dog around the car and it "hit" on the car, then proceeded to jump in the car and devour the entire bucket of chicken. The dog didn't hit on drugs, it hit on chicken.
View Quote

Ehhh, I'd call that an honest mistake.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#20]
An hour is excessive. The SC has ruled 15 min tops.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think I'd talk to a lawyer.
View Quote

Yeah how is an out of state license play equal reasonable cause?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe that's in regards to waiting for the dog to arrive.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should read more legitimate news.  It happens quite a bit.  Posers pulling people over.  It's a real thing.

And how statist do you have to be to side with a cop on this?  

You're gullible. Did you know that, if you say each letter of the word "gullible", it sounds like orange?

Thank you, I see the light!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless further investigation is warranted, the stop shouldn’t be prolonged.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I am curious how they were acting.

If homegirl was hysterical, your son should eject.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Does not work too well when the cop has his windows down and catches a blizzard of pot all over his interior.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the cops also acted like a criminal by pulling somebody over in an unmarked car.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

Since criminals do that exact thing then what is wrong with his statement?

Unmarked cars pulling people over is always going to cause people to be suspicious.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

True heroes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A local agency followed him for 30 miles?  The K9 handler came up to the car with his dog?   That whole story seems like BS

True heroes.

Not many cops are stating the behavior is justified, just that it’s fishy all around… and it is.

There’s information missing and the cop may still be a huge asshole.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not that simple. There is no bright line 15 minute rule.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#30]
The Fourth Amendment prohibits police officers from prolonging a traffic stop beyond the time necessary to investigate (and write a ticket for) a traffic violation unless the officers have reasonable suspicion that the stopped vehicle’s occupants are engaging in other crimes. Rodriguez v. United States, 575 U.S. 348, 354-56 (2015).
View Quote

https://thecivilrightslawyer.com/2022/11/16/worst-cop-ever-prolongs-stop-for-drug-dog-and-baptizes-arrestees/

ETA:

Officers may detain the driver only for the time necessary to complete the tasks associated with the reason for the stop.

The Supreme Court has provided a list of acceptable tasks that are connected generally to safety and driver responsibility:

Officers will usually question a driver about the traffic infraction; they will run the driver’s license plate; they will request and review the vehicle’s registration and insurance; they will check for outstanding warrants; and lastly they will write a ticket. Officers also commonly question drivers about their travel plans. So long as they do so during the time that they undertake the traffic-related tasks for the infraction that justifies the stop (Arizona v. Johnson), officers may also ask questions about whether the driver has drugs or weapons in the car, or even walk a drug-sniffing dog around the car (Illinois v. Caballes). These unrelated tasks turn a reasonable stop into an unreasonable seizure if it “prolongs” the stop. Officers may not avoid this rule by “slow walking” the traffic-related aspects of the stop to get more time to investigate other potential crimes.

Once the traffic-related basis for the stop ends (or reasonably should have ended), the officer must justify any further “seizure” on a reasonable suspicion that the driver is committing those other crimes. See Hernandez v. Boles (6th Cir. 2020).

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah how is an out of state license play equal reasonable cause?
View Quote

It’s not, OPs kid was hemmed up for speeding.

For the OP though… I’ve been given a lot of fatherly advice but a piece never given to me was “you’re gonna be driving a drug corridor so make sure you behave” or words to that effect.

That kind of specificity just seems… weird. Perhaps I’m reading into it too much. I’d love to see the body cam or dashcam footage of the stop.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Even tsa dogs have to certify regularly. If they dont pass, its either the dog or officer's (or both) job on the line.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know a guy whose truck was fucked up to shit and back by an overzealous USAF K-9 over a Hardee’s biscuit.

To be fair, they make a mean biscuit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lots of that in Oklahoma.  There used to be a speed trap in Hooker just north of Guymon when traveling through the Oklahoma panhandle.  Not sure if they still do that, this was 25 years ago.

Also, Stringtown just north of Atoka was a notorious speed trap until their one horse local cop pulled over a church van containing the family of a state representative.  I think the legislature shortly thereafter passed a measure to prohibit such behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I stated in my above post, a local podunk one horse town police department has an unmarked dark gray Durango with a setina push bar in it. He usually sits in the middle of 169 trying to catch a speeder. Gotta generate revenue for the one horse town.

Lots of that in Oklahoma.  There used to be a speed trap in Hooker just north of Guymon when traveling through the Oklahoma panhandle.  Not sure if they still do that, this was 25 years ago.

Also, Stringtown just north of Atoka was a notorious speed trap until their one horse local cop pulled over a church van containing the family of a state representative.  I think the legislature shortly thereafter passed a measure to prohibit such behavior.

There used to be a speed trap north of Harrisburg, the one man department wrote approximately as many speeding tickets as the whole Harrisburg police department. They built a bypass around his town so he started to pull over people on the highway for 1 mph over before the state police put a stop to it back in the early 90’s. Highway robbery.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's why I will never, ever again attempt to find a safe place to pull over if I am ordered to stop.

Only the smart ones. The dumb ones pit maneuver pregnant women that are looking for a safe place to stop.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Eh, running traffic in unmarked cars is asshole chickenshit department behavior.

View Quote

But what if you're running Civil Asset Forfeiture, not Traffic?
Let's take the OP as true for the moment.

The seizure boyz catch sight of their prey, a rental car full to the headliner.
They follow it for 20 minutes, waiting for pretext for the stop. They've already got Probable Cause panting in the back seat.

Then they do exactly what we've seen Road Pirates do for the past 30 years, except they end up not stealing anything.
Now OP doesn't sound so incredible, does it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The further investigation was what prolonged the stop.
The further investigation was justified by claims (which cannot be proven or disproven, so the courts have to take their word for it) that the dog alerted.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The behavior sounds like SWDTF. They can be assholes.

Ask how I know.
View Quote

You know because TF stands for Task Force?
Asshole is part of the definition when cocksuckers team up with feds to claim immunity to state laws and do whatever the fuck they want.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

After a lengthy roadside detention in Boise...

Which would explain why he repeatedly asked if he could search the vehicle after I said absultely not the first time he asked.  I finally got released with a warning about using my turn signal
View Quote

How long is a lengthy roadside detention? Were the two of you talking about warrantless searches for a minute or two, or did he detain you for 10-20-30  minutes trying to force you to surrender your rights?

He was obviously extending the stop beyond any pretext of traffic related excuses, but was it before or after the Supreme Court told him that was Unconstitutional?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It’s not, OPs kid was hemmed up for speeding.

For the OP though… I’ve been given a lot of fatherly advice but a piece never given to me was “you’re gonna be driving a drug corridor so make sure you behave” or words to that effect.

That kind of specificity just seems… weird. Perhaps I’m reading into it too much. I’d love to see the body cam or dashcam footage of the stop.
View Quote

Kinda weird how he gave that advice and then his son magically ended up running into that very problem. I90 west of Billings has maybe two towns for 100 miles big enough to even have a police department. I've driven that route many times in the past few years, and have never seen a local PD out patrolling the interstate. That area has very light traffic and OPs whole story is fishy. OP has refused to say what area this happened in or what agency was involved. Op has given absolutely no evidence that this actually happened. Yet here we are, 17 pages into a GD dogpile onto this unknown officer and agency.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is this a coy attempt to call OP, and/or his son, a flat-out liar?
View Quote

While falsely claiming the OP said minutes and using that false claim to make fun of the OP, when the OP clearly said miles?

When you start drawing flak, you know you're on target, OP.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You don't have a right to not yield whenever the police are trying to stop you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck cop egos over my freedom.  The dispatcher can tell them to calm their tits or they can listen to person they pulled over.  

You don't have a right to not yield whenever the police are trying to stop you.

If the police want citizens to pull over then they should very plainly exhibit that they are in fact police.  I will not pull over for ghost or unmarked cars with a flashing light anyone can get off of Amazon.  Some of the cops in the DFW area have black vehicles with grey marking on the side and it's pure bullshit considering we've had impersonators before.  Wanna run ghost cars fine but have a regular black and white pull them over.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep my wife got yelled at by a city cop because she pulled off the main road thinking it was safer.  Her exact words to me, "fuck him next time it's their problem if they want to get run over"
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The further investigation was justified by claims (which cannot be proven or disproven, so the courts have to take their word for it) that the dog alerted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my take on it, as well.

The initial stop for speeding was justified. The prolongment was justified when the officer interpreted the dog's actions as a hit for the odor of drugs. Weed is legal in MT, but, as BLKVooDoo has stated, most dogs are trained to alert on things other than weed these days. So, it's probably safe to assume the dog isn't trained to alert on the odor of weed. What likely happened is some overzealous podunk deputy who's pissed that the driver didn't respect his authority enough to pull over immediately misinterpreted the dog's reaction to the cat as an alert for drugs, and thinking he'd just made the traffic stop of his career, decided he needed to spend half his shift searching those two college kids from that liberal shithole, Austin, TX, where they like to do drugs and keep things weird. That search was conducted with images of a press conference complete with tables covered in drugs, cash, and guns floating through the cop's mind.

Shit like this wouldn't happen if the courts would stop allowing searches because someone who doesn't speak dog takes advice from something incapable of speaking in any language other than dog.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What John left out is he went home vacuumed the interior and broke out the rolling papers...
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think I'd talk to a lawyer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am curious how they were acting.

If homegirl was hysterical, your son should eject.
View Quote

She’s rich. Allowances must be made.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On what? Weed is legal there?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just to clarify, because it's hard to tell from your story, what country did this occur in?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A lot of drug stops are made from routine traffic offenses and K9 searches. My friend is a cop and looks for drugs. Sometimes he targets known drug houses and car. However. He frequently makes stops without any other information and comes up with drugs. He will frequently flip the offender and turn them into a confidential informant. He has gotten a lot of bigger cases that way.

He is a good guy. There are also bad cops out there using shady or illegal tactics to catch drugs. Of course, if you look hard enough, you'll even find cops planting drugs (like the guy in Alabama).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was 21 once, odds are he was doing more than 10 over.

Then give him a ticket for the speeding. Don't keep him on the side of the road for three hours while you paw through their belongings.

A lot of drug stops are made from routine traffic offenses and K9 searches. My friend is a cop and looks for drugs. Sometimes he targets known drug houses and car. However. He frequently makes stops without any other information and comes up with drugs. He will frequently flip the offender and turn them into a confidential informant. He has gotten a lot of bigger cases that way.

He is a good guy. There are also bad cops out there using shady or illegal tactics to catch drugs. Of course, if you look hard enough, you'll even find cops planting drugs (like the guy in Alabama).

Good guy or not it doesn't take but once w/ one of the bad ones to really sour people on the whole war on drugs.    There's something absolutely infuriating when the cops yank everything out of your car and search it when you've done absolutely nothing wrong.    In my case they couldn't even give us a ticket.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top