User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]
North & South was where it's at!

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Contra was a great game for the time, but it wasn't hard.  I remember being able to play through it pretty easily and gaining lives each time through.  As a kid I was good enough to beat maybe 9 out of 10 games in a day or two.

But above Contra there were the brutally unforgiving games like Ninja Gaiden where death on the last boss meant fuck you start over, or the real impossibles like ghosts n goblins that basically demand perfection everywhere.

Emulators with save states have made a lot of those games more reasonable to revisit, but the twitch reflex games are a lot fucking harder as you get older.  Maybe don't revisit them if you get bummed out easily.

Gumshoe was pretty fucking amazing for a light gun game if you've still got that piece of kit working.  Hard to beat sitting a foot away from the TV.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Silent Service was another fun one. Since it required both controllers my uncle and I would take turns playing the "captain" and the "crew".

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
All these years later and countless hours of playing, still have never beat the original Castlevania. Just last year had some friends in from out of town, and there we were, 4AM with my NES and OG copy of Castlevania, still losing in the end.

TMNT, never beat that one either. Fester’s Quest and Ghosts ‘N Goblins got unceremoniously smashed and thrown away.

On the other hand, Super Mario Bros was disappointingly easy to beat. It was one of my favorite arcade games. Untold amount of quarters fed. Console version, nothing to it. Beat it the first time playing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Another factor was back then not many of us had our own TV. You'd wait til it was your turn on it all hyped to play and oh look, on/off flashing. Take it out, blow in it, same thing. Finally it would come on but cool now the pixels are fucked. Rinse and repeat. By the time you were able to play you had already spent valuable minutes dicking around and lightheaded from blowing enough air to inflate a truck tire. We were being set up to fail
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Attack Sub 688.
Simulator that was pretty damn realistic for the time. It took me 2 weeks to beat the game. At the end I thought the final blast was the Russian sub against me after I had fired a torpedo. Because it said, "we've been hit and damaged!"
Teletype message came through the game telling me I sank the Russian sub and our boat was awarded the CMH. Then it played Stars and Stripes Forever with flags and fireworks.
I left it on the screen like that for 3 days to prove to my friends who said, "You can't beat that game. It's impossible."
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
If you like old school games and are using an emulator, 8BitDo makes kits to turn a lot of old controllers into rechargeable Bluetooth controllers.  I wanted a legit Nintendo controller to use with my emulator and it's great.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I beat GnG as a teen. Here's a game that actively hates you and hits you with cheapshots continuously. And then you finally get to the end and beat the biggest baddie and there's that one little surprise. Rage inducing.
Quoted:
Zelda II was brutal, too.
View Quote
Those jumping, sword-throwing, bird-head guys in the last dungeon were brutal. You just run.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Festers Quest, fucking impossible.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bro, you don't know the turtle trick?
View Quote
Just don't get greedy. That was a harsh surprise the first time you got too many turtle 1-Ups.
Metroid wasn't brutally difficult. It was tough, but a great playthrough and could be beaten with reasonable effort. Now, if you're trying to do it in time to get the maximum, uh, reveal at the end, that was tough.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuckin Ninja Turtles.
View Quote
Funny story, when I was a kid I didn't have enough money for tnmt on the Nintendo but we did have a commodore 64 and it was cheaper on that so I bought it.

The anti piracy was a code printed in black on brown paper and the C64 used Atari joysticks so you only had one button.  You held the button down to jump and you tapped it to attack.  

Add those shit controls to the hardest fucking game.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I can never remember the name of this game we’d play at my grandparents’ house.  It was set at a carnival and had mini games or levels at the different areas of the carnival. I only remember the haunted house with ghosts and you’d throw candles at them.
That and the one where you are a knight and you hop up the trees and spiders would drop down and you could cut their threads and make them fall. I found that game on allnes.com back in 2010 and it was awesome. Still can’t remember what it was called.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Say waaaaaat!?!?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m in my mid 40s and just learned last week that when your game is over, you can hold down the a button and press start to continue on the same world you were on.

Say waaaaaat!?!?

Fo real, bro.

It works on my Super Mario Brothers game I downloaded on my son’s Wii about 10 years ago.  Admittedly, it still hasn’t propelled me to victory yet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:54:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I’m in my mid 40s and just learned last week that when your game is over, you can hold down the a button and press start to continue on the same world you were on.
View Quote

Whoa, just tried this and it effing works.

Cue the "what!, no way" guy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the cracked NES classic. It's pretty clear NES was Japans revenge for the bombings.

I think I spent an hour on Ghosts and Goblins and couldn't clear the first level.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top