Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/12/2017 12:09:52 AM EDT
Can this be this big of an issue to result in a safety stand down?

Last December, as an e-mail shows, the SEALs halted all training and ordered a safety stand-down because of the drug problem.

“I feel like I’m watching our foundation, our culture erode in front of our eyes,” said Capt. Jamie Sands, the commander of 900 SEALs based on the East Coast.

Sands had been on the job for just three months and already five SEALs had been kicked off the teams for using drugs.

“I feel betrayed,” Sands said. “How do you do that to us? How do you decide that it’s OK for you to do drugs?”

Every SEAL under his command was required to attend this meeting or else watch it online. In response to our request, the Navy released an edited version of the video.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/navy-seal-drug-use-staggering-prompts-internal-intervention/ar-BBzJyqO?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=AVRES007
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Ugh.  In.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Mandatory PowerPoint presentation to the rescue!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Hair gel is a drug?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no problem believing that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If true that reveals some serious issues in the culture of the SEALs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen some damn drunk ones.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe some seals can write a book about this? Seems they write books about every other god damn thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no problem believing that.
View Quote
I would have guessed it was PEDs, but yeah.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
That would explain Charlie Sheen's dead-on portrayal....

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]
From the article "One SEAL who had tested positive for cocaine last summer tested positive again, this time for prescription drugs. He is being kicked off the teams."
How the fuck do you stay in the Navy after pissing hot for cocaine, let alone stay in the Seal community?
That's just a giant WTF for me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Those guys have always known how to party. I don't know why anyone would be surprised people under that much pressure relieve it the same way the rest of the human race does.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's more info coming out:

From the end of an article with interviews with an AD and retired SEALs.  I think this says a lot:

I’m willing to discuss this because the drugs are just a sign of the deeper issues happening within the SEAL Teams. These corrupted guys and the poor leadership have expanded their power, and they are hardly ever held accountable within the normal military law and accountability system. Most likely the NCIS were too intimidated, or they just trusted what the SEAL Leadership was telling them. It will take more SEALs stepping-up and pointing out the wrong doing, to clean up the SEAL Teams. I didn’t choose this fight and I have nothing to gain from it. In fact, my speaking up puts a target of my back and makes it harder for me to get contract work now that I am retired. Nobody wants to throw their lot in with a whistle-blower. Despite the personal obstacles, I feel I have a moral obligation to step up and correct the problem, so that future SEALs (My Brothers) are led by the best this country has to offer—the way it was when I first joined the Teams.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/selling-the-trident-navy-seals-describe-a-culture-in-crisis-in-their-own-words/
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Meh.... what drugs are we talking here.

Are they smoking a blunt to relax after a long mission/deployment or are we talking meth/coke/heroin here?

PEDs?

There is a huge definition of the word "drugs" here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From the article "One SEAL who had tested positive for cocaine last summer tested positive again, this time for prescription drugs. He is being kicked off the teams."
How the fuck do you stay in the Navy after pissing hot for cocaine, let alone stay in the Seal community?
View Quote
A SEAL is a major asset that represents a huge investment.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#15]
So... are the drugs impacting performance, or are people pissing hot and it's causing a fainting fit amongst the drug warriors?

Cocaine cures cancer!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are they smoking a blunt to relax after a long mission/deployment or are we talking meth/coke/heroin here?

PEDs?

View Quote
It's in the article:

“People that we know of, that we hear about have tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy,” said a SEAL. “That’s a problem”

Sounds like it's a little of everything...  I would have expected PEDs and maybe some painkiller addiction, even marijuana, but the harder narcotics use is just retarded.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#17]
So are pilots, but we can't do blow and keep our wings....
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Probably the ones forced to live in New Jersey. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I recall some mention of drug problems three years ago when a pair of former SEALs on an anti-pirate gig OD'd on heroin on the Maersk Alabama: Link
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PEDs?

View Quote
From the link in the OP:
“People that we know of, that we hear about have tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy,” said a SEAL. “That’s a problem.”

It's also reported to be a higher percentage of positive results than the fleet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So are pilots, but we can't do blow and keep our wings....
View Quote
True.

Sounds like leadership isn't on board with zero tolerance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like the celebrity status they got after killing OBL is starting to fade away .

One of the most powerful books I have ever read was Fearless and deals with a guy who was a crack addict, and got a second chance to join the teams. He relapsed once on the teams, got caught by a fellow member and stayed on the strait and narrow until he was killed in action

But this is the like 3rd story to come out about them recently that has shed an unfavorable light on them, and I am sure the commanders are feeling that heat. Shame, I can only image that those guys deal with some incredibly difficult shit and are looking for an easy way to cope.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#23]
-There are always guys fucking up and using/abusing drugs.
-Dudes in any .mil units all hang out together A LOT. They usually don't do things alone.
-The problem isn't a "PROBLEM" until the first guy pisses hot or gets caught, and the follow-on investigation catches the other guys flying under the radar, then it's a PROBLEM.
-The whip cracks, then 8-12 months later when leadership changes, the cycle starts over.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

From the link in the OP:
“People that we know of, that we hear about have tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy,” said a SEAL. “That’s a problem.”

It's also reported to be a higher percentage of positive results than the fleet.
View Quote
Well in that case things need to change. Drug addicts cannot do their jobs properly because drugs start to run their life.

Those guys need help and need to be removed from their positions
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Obviously they're injecting HGH directly into their necks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone imagine that you can live that life and not be mainlineing something?  Get fucking serious.  Embrace the life.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Meh, I'm not surprised. I grew up in Jacksonville and several of the actual SEALs I met admitted to having used drugs at least on occasion; and at least one (retired) would brag about how much coke they used to do when on leave. I don't think they did it enough to affect overall performance, but they were definitely still doing it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:...One of the most powerful books I have ever read was Fearless and deals with a guy who was a crack addict, and got a second chance to join the teams. He relapsed once on the teams, got caught by a fellow member and stayed on the strait and narrow until he was killed in action....
View Quote
Reading that book now, powerful story and some good wife/family/friends/teammates stuff that kept an inherently good man in the fight.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's almost like people drawn to a dangerous risk taking career engage in risk taking behaviour.  Who would have thought?

The answer is realising that taking drugs doesn't guarantee someone is a Monster or a bad person. Maybe it needs to be qualified.  But it's easier to get on the ivory tower and look down on people instead.  Maybe there's something society can learn here.  Nahhhh!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does anyone imagine that you can live that life and not be mainlineing something?  Get fucking serious.  Embrace the life.
View Quote
MUH Illegal Narcotics.......DERP.......
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The answer is to diversify.  The navy should add more women to ensure those nasty men can be dealt with and not threaten operational readiness.  Am I right?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
My guess is they tried to look the other way to salvage the vast sums of money the invested to train said druggie.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/16/14/355AC30300000578-0-image-m-3_1466083180417.jpg

Obviously they're injecting HGH directly into their necks.
View Quote
Dude looks like a living gi joe figure.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#34]
By "drug use" do they mean coke and heroin or testosterone and other PEDs?

ETA: Cocaine.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
The article says hard drugs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Those guys have always known how to party. I don't know why anyone would be surprised people under that much pressure relieve it the same way the rest of the human race does.
View Quote
This, get them help and send them back out to destroy shit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

From the link in the OP:

View Quote
I wonder how much of that is self-medication of unreported mental trauma/illness. How's the op tempo been the last sixteen years?

ETA: I'm not sure what percentages we will see, but I'd expect the illicit drug use to follow a few primary patterns, and in about this order of occurrence...

A: Joe just likes being all fucked up (no statement on if they are a "functioning alcoholic/junkie")
B: Joe is an extreme risk taker who lives everything to the extreme, breaking drug laws is just another way to distinguish themselves as more extreme than everyone else.
C: the saddest one, Joe has mental issues and found a chemical crutch.
D: Joe's body can't keep up anymore so he dulls the (actual, physical) pain.
E: Joe wants his body (his fundamental weapon) to be the better of any of the competition, enter PED abuse.

My personal opinion is shitcan A and B, help C and D salvaging who you can, and smack E hard upside the head (you'll probably need to smack the meathead harder than usual or he might not feel it).
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#39]
SEALs like to party. This shouldn't be news to anybody lol. Except the liberal media who thinks every SEAL team is SEAL team 6, of course.

SEAL team 6 all the SEAL teams brah!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#40]
What?  I thought all druggies were unmotivated fuck ups who never accomplish anything.   DARE lied to me?  Unpossible.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I will admit to shooting up PsychoJet more than once in Boston on an op gone wrong.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What?  I thought all druggies were unmotivated fuck ups who never accomplish anything.   DARE lied to me?  Unpossible.
View Quote
The three I saw walked out over dope were total shitbags by that point.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I will admit to shooting up PsychoJet more than once in Boston on an op gone wrong.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I would presume that no matter how highly trained a SEAL is in mentally compartmentalizing it's the Carnage they are ordered to do that will get to them eventually.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I have heard from multiple sources that amphetamines have been prescribed to combatants in every war since World War Two.

Anyone care to call me a liar?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:27:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

PEDs?

View Quote
This was my thought as well.  

Meth or heroin would be quite shocking.  Weed, who cares.  PEDs, well duh.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have heard from multiple sources that amphetamines have been prescribed to combatants in every war since World War Two.

View Quote
I just read this book. Strange how it was never mentioned but having read about the CIA's mind control programs like MK Ultra it would not be a surprise.
Operation Paperclip.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've heard lots of stories about "go pills" then there was Modafinil I heard about which seemed to be a better solution for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I'll probably regret posting this in the morning but whatever....

I'm willing to bet for a lot of 'operators' roids are the big gateway drug.  News flash...alot of dudes are on them, it's always been that way.  It is illegal, and yet dudes plow ahead because it helps you perform at the level required.  And the moment you cross that line of legality to buy and use illegal PEDs, what the hell is the difference in using illegal recreational drugs to cope, for fun, whatever.  

I know it will shock a lot of people to know that their Tier Zero heroes juice and have to buy their shit on the downlow like any other gymrat does, but what's the real difference between scoring illegal roids and illegal coke?  Like I said....news flash...it's nothing new.  Been going on for decades.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Dudes putting it on the line, and when they get off they let it all hang out. Cant believe this is  a new thing. How much drug use went on in Vietnam? Sustained warfare has a toll on the psyche. Even the upper echelon (more so) will feel it. The trends in lack of family life for millennials, constant deployment. It'll be something that JSOC has to deal with. test'em up and weed out. Understandable but a liability for sure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Top Top