Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2022 8:46:34 PM EDT
Just flew over head. Dunno what it is but sounded mean. Wound tight like an f1 car or something. Nothing like the other planes coming in.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
piaggio avanti

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Knew it was an Avanti before I even opened the thread
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
piaggio avanti
View Quote

Fpni.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
MAMA MIA!
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have seen a Starship 3 times in my life.  That is such a cool plane with one hell of a unique sound.  

The Piaggio is pretty damn cool too.  In my mind a close second to the Starship in neat factor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
What are the benefits of having the engines mounted backwards?
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Piaggio... Naples (FL) airport or a group of neighbors were/are trying to ban the things because they have a distinct sound.

I would love to have one, they look cool and are fast as hell. I've flown on one, the cockpit view is pretty great, seemed much better than the PC-12.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Vespa, but not really.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm old school, so I immediately thought Rutan Long Eze.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quieter for the passengers.

ETA: Also looks to set the wings farther back and make more unobstructed cabin space while maintaining balance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

harder to stall while in the pattern
looks cooler

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Vorrei tagliare un testial per farmi un giro in uno
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm old school, so I immediately thought Rutan Long Eze.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.31df0bf2156aa77d1dc0619074286897?rik=0i9yl9K6Ozr40g&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
View Quote

Henry Deutschendorf Jr. is not amused.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

DB Cooper proof.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pusher prop creates more thrust at lower power settings from pullers.  Rearward mounts on the engines move the noise and vibration away from the cabin making the ride feel smoother.  

Downfalls are props working in dirtier air and wear and tear on the airframe.  In the case of the starship the wing makes roll coupling a problem due to the swept wing.  The Piaggio uses a more straight wing to mitigate that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have seen a Starship 3 times in my life.  That is such a cool plane with one hell of a unique sound.  

The Piaggio is pretty damn cool too.  In my mind a close second to the Starship in neat factor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

One in Aspen, and then I drove by the Tucson airport a few years later

I think there's less than a half a dozen still airworthy now. They were such beautiful planes
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Piaggio... Naples (FL) airport or a group of neighbors were/are trying to ban the things because they have a distinct sound.

I would love to have one, they look cool and are fast as hell. I've flown on one, the cockpit view is pretty great, seemed much better than the PC-12.
View Quote

Piaggios and Starships have a very unique and very cool sound.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

I think there's less than a half a dozen still airworthy now. They were such beautiful planes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

In flight?

They are rare.  I feel pretty fortunate to have seen them flying in two of those three instances.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC Beechcraft recalled and nuked all the starships.   That was a shame, neat aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IIRC Beechcraft recalled and nuked all the starships.   That was a shame, neat aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a group of people that refused to relinquish their aircraft,  and bought the entire inventory of spare parts.  So there is a still a small and pretty active group of owners.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2009-10-14/owner-stumbles-starship-support-biz
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In flight?

They are rare.  I feel pretty fortunate to have seen them flying in two of those three instances.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48398940442_8903f150f6_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/8621/28319976331_7025893dea_h.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

In flight?

No, around 2011 when I went through Tucson there were a bunch that had been moved there waiting for decommissioning. It was a beautiful sight at the time, with all of them lined up. Not sure when they moved them again.

Attachment Attached File

Like you I've only seen them in flight a couple of times
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is about 7 or 8 starship hulls sitting next to the fence at the Marana airport in Arizona.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

As far as I know there is just one Starship still flying.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In flight?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

In flight?

Starships are stunning IMO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In flight?

View Quote
IMO the starship is one of the best looking aircraft around, but the Piaggio is a close second.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw one of those fly over one day when I was walking around outside the office in Austin. Probably took off from Austin Executive.

Interesting to see from the ground... I think it's pretty sweet looking.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I could hear it from here!
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I live a few miles from a GA airport. Had a Piaggio go over one evening while I was out for a run. Those things are ridiculously loud.

I'm a sucker for pushers, and she was pretty but I can understand why people complain. If it was based out of my airport it would get old fast.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I live a few miles from a GA airport. Had a Piaggio go over one evening while I was out for a run. Those things are ridiculously loud.

I'm a sucker for pushers, and she was pretty but I can understand why people complain. If it was based out of my airport it would get old fast.
View Quote

"Loud pipes save lives". Maybe John Denver
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I saw one of those fly over one day when I was walking around outside the office in Austin. Probably took off from Austin Executive.

Interesting to see from the ground... I think it's pretty sweet looking.
View Quote

There's one that flies out of Sugar Land (suburb of Houston) from time to time.  It's...distinctive.  Don't know if loud's the right word (though it is).  But there's something piercing about the noise.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember having the opportunity to watch Concorde fly out of JFK as a kid.  While visiting my grandparents it was always a must to go on the roof of the building and watch it in awe.  

Listening to people bitch about it like incessant cry babies made me shake my head.  The thing was loud,  But it was not regular enough to really be annoying.  It was just crying Karen's and Kevin's that needed something to bitch about.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like one of King Kong's suppositories.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

I grew up in Wichita while Starship was in development. Saw them flying almost daily. Neat looking bird for sure. Unique sound.

Dad was an aerospace engineer at Cessna but knew guys at Beech. He always told us they were having lots of aero issues with it. It’s still a very beautiful plane in my eyes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Fun fact

A Piaggio Avanti San Diego-to-Charleston flight in 2003, piloted by Joe Ritchie with co-pilot Steve Fossett, set National Aeronautic Association and F d ration A ronautique Internationale transcontinental speed records with an average speed of 475.2 knots (880.1 km/h; 546.9 mph),[80] breaking the previous Los Angeles to New York turboprop record of 395.21 knots set by Chuck Yeager in 1986 in a Piper Cheyenne 400LS. Elapsed time for the Avanti's coast-to-coast trip was 3:51:52.[81]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#37]
The Avanti’s one of the most beautiful planes out there.

This one would join it but it’ll probably never be produced:

Cobalt Valkyrie
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Back in 2007 the company I worked for bought a brand new Piaggio. I went to school on it then we put 150 hours on it the first two months. Flew the piss out of it (and me.) Then they sold it and I moved on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#39]
About 15 years ago I used to work near RDU airport. I grew up nearly autistic with my interest in aircraft (before it switched to guns) and would always check out what was flying over on climb out. One day I was walking out to my car and heard the most beautiful, ungodly aircraft and looked up to see a Starship going over. Probably the most unique sound I’ve ever heard. Reading this thread I realize how lucky I was to see one.

Thanks for bringing up that memory with this thread OP.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#41]
is the front (short) set of wings, if they’re even called that, only there due to the motors being flipped backwards or is it something else?

i have zero air knowledge, fyi. but i did pass physics 2 in college
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
is the front (short) set of wings, if they’re even called that, only there due to the motors being flipped backwards or is it something else?

i have zero air knowledge, fyi. but i did pass physics 2 in college
View Quote

It's because the tail was flipped around, not the engines. It's the same configuration as the original Wright Flyer, called a canard. The CG is in front of the wing, and the lifting canard is actually more economical than the conventional tail since it produces upward lift instead of downward lift like a conventional tail. It is also designed to stall before the main wing, which drops the nose without the wing stalling and helping the recovery. The Avanti is kind of a hybrid canard though, it has a much smaller canard and also a conventional tail.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Avanti’s one of the most beautiful planes out there.

This one would join it but it’ll probably never be produced:

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/kszX50cX5lon478PIaMrRg--~B/aD00ODA7dz03MjA7c209MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/cms/autos/Boldride/cobalt-valkyrie-plane.jpg

Cobalt Valkyrie
View Quote

That is the most beautiful prop single airplane, and it's a damn shame it won't make it to production. I would love to have one of those!
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen about 8.

We have one that flies into KAPA every so often. First time I saw one I was sitting on a tug on the ramp at DFW wondering what the hell is that sound. Turned around and watched it taxi down to the GA ramp. They definitely have a unique sound to them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#45]
There used to be a Starship based at an airport near where I used to work. I saw it often. Aren't all jets pusher planes ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Henry Deutschendorf Jr. is not amused.
View Quote

I'm leavin' on a jet plane.

And so he did.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just too much an oddball. Expensive when compared to a King Air, and lotsa used jets hitting the market.

Used to work at an FBO that was also a Beech dealership.

Beech brought one in, we all wondered who they were gonna sell these things to.

Guy showed up in one, from OK wearing a big cowboy hat. Was pissed about Beech's decision to X production, said he was gonna buy all of them he could, along with the parts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#48]
they should make a tilt rotor version where they can go pull/push stol vtol
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There used to be a Starship based at an airport near where I used to work. I saw it often. Aren't all jets pusher planes ?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Hello fellow pusher aircraft enjoyers!

And these come in a kit form that you can complete yourself, in the Experimental category!

Velocity TWIN Is A $450,000 Spaceship With 2 Engines

https://www.velocityaircraft.com/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top