Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 options, China launched a little one to give PedoJoe a chance to redeem himself.
              Balloon is of US origin, same reason.
View Quote
Could be Russian
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've worked in both the Arctic and Antarctic and I can assure you the risk is far overstated. The sled dogs almost never become infected with alien creatures from crashed UFO's, which run around eating scientists.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It was "cylindrical" and "silverish grey," ABC's Martha Raddatz was told.

ABC News Chief Global Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz first reported that when fighters were scrambled, the pilots did visuals, got images and said there was no sign the object had propulsion.

It was described as "cylindrical and silver-ish gray" and seemed to be floating, a U.S. official said.

Asked if was "balloon-like," the official said, "All I say is that it wasn't 'flying' with any sort of propulsion, so if that is 'balloon-like' well -- we just don't have enough at this point."
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Could be Russian
View Quote

Why would they want PedoPeter to look good?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could be Russian

Amazing how much space that dude has in your head rent free.

Is it possible that this is another Chinese intelligence gathering attempt? Misidentified weather balloon or amateur radio balloon like someone else already posed? Seems more likely than Russia sending a drone for us to shoot down intentionally so the president "looks good".
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounding more and more like it was possibly a NWS balloon now. Over reaction on the part of NORAD as a knee jerk to the intel balloon honestly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounding more and more like it was possibly a NWS balloon now. Over reaction on the part of NORAD as a knee jerk to the intel balloon honestly.
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Cylindrical shaped floating object the size of a car?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link?

https://twitter.com/wildweatherdan/status/1624161750814711826?s=20

So these balloons are designed to transmit on their way up to 100k feet then pop and fall back to earth. Two are launched daily from Nome Alaska. One stopped transmitting data after only transmitting 100mb which apparently is unusual. That is what I am gathering from those tweets, I have no idea what the expected amount of data is though. The dude tweeting is a meteorologist.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone post the austin powers dick radar return
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So these balloons are designed to transmit on their way up to 100k feet then pop and fall back to earth. Two are launched daily from Nome Alaska. One stopped transmitting data after only transmitting 100mb which apparently is unusual. That is what I am gathering from those tweets, I have no idea what the expected amount of data is though. The dude tweeting is a meteorologist.
View Quote

SOOO...... ,they possibly shot down a locally launched weather balloon  ?    Shapes don't match,  so questionable .
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

SOOO...... ,they possibly shot down a locally launched weather balloon  ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that is a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So a car sized object??

Pretty small for radar I'd think.
View Quote
pretty sure our radars can pick out bird size objects, and read the name tag

hell my 20 yr old sonar can watch my sinker go down over 100 ft,
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#18]
So we’re just blinding shooting down flying objects now without IDing them first? Yeah I’m calling bullshit on that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So we’re just blinding shooting down flying objects now without IDing them first? Yeah I’m calling bullshit on that.
View Quote

It sounds like it was identified. As an object in our airspace that wasn't identifiable, days after an intelligence gathering platform transited our nation. Why is that reaction surprising?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Soooo, it had no propulsion, yet our fighter jets "flew alongside" of it?

"Ryder said American pilots who flew alongside the latest object before it was downed determined that no human was aboard. He added it was incapable of maneuvering and did not resemble an airplane"

Exactly how does a jet flying at a speed of hundreds of miles per hour fly "alongside" of an object with no propulsion?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]
So in the span of a week, our fighter jets have shot down two airborne craft inside the boundary of the USA.

When's the last time something similar has occurred?  WWII?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So in the span of a week, our fighter jets have shot down two airborne craft inside the boundary of the USA.

When's the last time something similar has occurred?  WWII?
View Quote

WW2, a P-63 shot down a japanese ballon bomb over the continental US-Nevada.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#24]
What if there are millions of balloons to be released?

Like a balloon Banzai charge?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#25]
We need to fire an awful lot of people in the federal government.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It sounds like it was identified. As an object in our airspace that wasn't identifiable, days after an intelligence gathering platform transited our nation. Why is that reaction surprising?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering commercial airliners fly at 40,000 feet & given the technology we have I find it hard to believe that they don’t know exactly what they were shooting down. But that’s just my opinion
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Is it possible that this is another Chinese intelligence gathering attempt? Misidentified weather balloon or amateur radio balloon like someone else already posed? Seems more likely than Russia sending a drone for us to shoot down intentionally so the president "looks good".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could be Russian

I was arguing against it being Russian, thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Considering commercial airliners fly at 40,000 feet & given the technology we have I find it hard to believe that they don’t know exactly what they were shooting down. But that’s just my opinion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess identifying something as NOT a commercial airliner, NOT a US military asset, NOT responding, NOT manned, and inside our controlled airspace is identification enough in my mind. Not trying to be argumentative or anything, just offering a different perspective. I don't see the need or possibility for 100% verification of an item when you're limited to radar return and visual observation at high speed and 40k feet altitude if you're able to rule the things it isn't. Even if it ends up being an errant weather service balloon from Nome that malfunctioned. I wouldn't expect an intelligence gathering platform to be announcing its presence and identity.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was arguing against it being Russian, thanks for reading.
View Quote

You're right, apologies.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I guess identifying something as NOT a commercial airliner, NOT a US military asset, NOT responding, NOT manned, and inside our controlled airspace is identification enough in my mind. Not trying to be argumentative or anything, just offering a different perspective. I don't see the need or possibility for 100% verification of an item when you're limited to radar return and visual observation at high speed and 40k feet altitude if you're able to rule the things it isn't. Even if it ends up being an errant weather service balloon from Nome that malfunctioned. I wouldn't expect an intelligence gathering platform to be announcing its presence and identity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be clear, I have no problem with us shooting it down. I just want to know what it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Could be Russian
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 options, China launched a little one to give PedoJoe a chance to redeem himself.
              Balloon is of US origin, same reason.
Could be Russian

Was it full of diesel smoke?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just want to know what it is.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok it's been what, 7 hours since shooting "the object" down.

And nobody is any the wiser (outside of the government) on what the fuck it is.

Everything I'm reading says no surveillance onboard, not a balloon, unknown origin, flying at 40,000ft, no propulsion.

What the fuck is that then
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It would be an act of war and we'd send a strongly worded letter of condemnation.
View Quote

Letter of condemnation?

Under Biden?

C’mon man, coming from Biden it’d be a letter of commendation
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just want to know what it is.
View Quote

Quite possibly a NOAA weather balloon, which would explain why they're so tight-lipped about it.  They need the time to write up a narrative and identify a fall guy, maybe Lt. Col. Graf, commander of the 90th Fighter Squadron.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Everything I'm reading says no surveillance onboard, not a balloon, unknown origin, flying at 40,000ft, no propulsion.

View Quote

That is a good question,  I had assumed a small balloon because they didn't mention it was aerodynamic in shape , a flying cylinder w/ no propulsion,  wth .   We know nothing .
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Either something embarrassing to admit or they destroyed it prior to actually determining what it was?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Probably launched by Team Xiden just so it could be shot down.
View Quote

That's actually a good point ??
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is really good, the History Guy never disappoints, but one of the things I was most amazed by was the staggering number of balloons released every day

Shootin' Balloons: A History
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quite possibly a NOAA weather balloon, which would explain why they're so close-lipped about it: they need the time to write up a story and identify a fall guy.
View Quote

Nah, they'll call it what it is if that ends up being the case. I don't think a fall guy is necessary either. I think they're just recovering shit that blew up at 40k feet and fell to the ground in a remote location for analysis. We already see the overactive imaginations at work because they gave a brief an hour after the shootdown with the information they had at the time. Now we have people picking it apart because someone said "flew alongside" instead of "next to" or something, and the dude who saw it didn't use the word "balloon" so they didn't brief "balloon" and suddenly when they recover balloon debris it's a conspiracy.

We'll hear something. If it is a NWS weather balloon that is what we will hear, and it'll be before Monday.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is really good, the History Guy never disappoints, but one of the things I was most amazed by was the staggering number of balloons released every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqC9ICdfhQM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqC9ICdfhQM

If a billion chinese built a million balloons and 1% contained nukes and the rest were decoys that would be 10,000 nukes floating into the USA or 200 EMP airbursts over each state.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If a billion chinese built a million balloons and 1% contained nukes and the rest were decoys that would be 10,000 nukes floating into the USA or 200 EMP airbursts over each state.
View Quote

Heck at this point I think they could send over a dozen balloons full of nothing and we'd shut the country down.

They'll probably do that first just for entertainment value, then they'll do a balloon banzai.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I wonder if china’s tic tac squadron is operational.  Maybe we finally shot one down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry guys, I was playing with my new toy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#46]
The type of balloons NWS offices use for soundings aren't cylindrical, aren't silver and they are also not the size of a car.

And since they are released on a daily basis by NWS offices nationwide, they also aren't anything uncommon. Pretty much anyone with a meteorological or aviation background would be thoroughly familiar with a weather balloon.

So whatever this device was, it was probably something just a little out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope the CCP executes the man responsible for this fiasco and reeducates his entire family and all the people he has dinner parties with on the weekends.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I jumped the gun. Amateur radio community was wrong. K9YO-15 was just picked up again.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The type of balloons NWS offices use for soundings aren't cylindrical, aren't silver and they are also not the size of a car.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/authoring/2017/09/05/NSJR/ghows-LS-54158573-1a47-51fa-e053-0100007fa882-d37647ab.jpeg?width=660&height=429&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

And since they are released on a daily basis by NWS offices nationwide, they also aren't anything uncommon. Pretty much anyone with a meteorological or aviation background would be thoroughly familiar with a weather balloon.

So whatever this device was, it was probably something just a little out of the ordinary.
View Quote

Do those balloons stay the same size at all altitudes? Do they look differently if they expand? Does weather change how things look at 40k feet?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

If that’s the case we should be engaging tic tacs often.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top